PC Why was smart cursor changed?

harry09

Terrarian
Before 1.4, you had toggle and hold. Now, you have toggle and toggle 2.0; I'm not really sure why this was changed, I suppose it was for ease-of-access so you don't have to hold down the button the whole time you're mining, but, isn't that the point of toggle? Personally, I think the change to hold mode is really annoying and I hope they revert it, I have to stop mining if I want to turn off smart cursor, it's just frustrating because this change makes it very similar to toggle mode, in which case, why even bother to give us the option in the first place. Thanks anyway.

I don't remember it ever being "held", it's always toggled
There is an option in game to change between toggle, and hold. The way it works though was changed with 1.4.

Smart Cursor.png

Previously, if it was on Hold, as long as you held down Ctrl, smart cursor would be active. That's it; now though, if you hold down Ctrl and start mining, as long as you have MB1 pressed down, you can let go of Ctrl and smart cursor will still be active. For me at least, this is really annoying. Hopefully it is reverted or a third option is added.

I don't like mode toggles in games generally, because I'm always forgetting which mode I'm in. But I also don't like having to hold down both buttons just to get one effect, so I find the change has been really helpful. Once I adjusted to the change, I found it really useful for mining fairly long shafts or filling in lots of background walls.

So how has the change been unhelpful or unproductive for you? Is it muscle memory, or is it something specific that you're no longer able to accomplish? That is, how were you using it the old way that is no longer viable in the new way?

Last edited:
I don't like mode toggles in games generally, because I'm always forgetting which mode I'm in. But I also don't like having to hold down both buttons just to get one effect, so I find the change has been really helpful. Once I adjusted to the change, I found it really useful for mining fairly long shafts or filling in lots of background walls.

So how has the change been unhelpful or unproductive for you? Is it muscle memory, or is it something specific that you're no longer able to accomplish? That is, how were you using it the old way that is no longer viable in the new way?
I think a lot of people leave smart cursor on most of the time, I only turn it on occasionally, most of the time I'm mining manually. I use the alien drill and I like to be precise, it really feels like I have to stop what I'm doing, and then start doing it again just because I'm using toggle 2.0. Honestly the change feels like hold was just changed to toggle 2.0, the change fixed a problem for you, but at the same time made a similar problem for me. It sounds like you use smart cursor a lot too, if you don't like holding it, why don't you use toggle? When smart cursor is active it shows a yellow block indicating where you're going to mine (and that smart cursor is enabled), so I suppose I'm also asking how are forgetting smart cursor is enabled when you can see the yellow block?

I use the alien drill and I like to be precise, it really feels like I have to stop what I'm doing, and then start doing it again

But... you are stopping what you're doing. If you're deactivating smart cursor, that means you're not smart-cursor-mining. So you have to stop doing what you're doing and start doing it again.

It sounds like you use smart cursor a lot too

No, I don't. I use it when I'm mining through terrain to get from point A to point B in a straight line. When I'm trying to extend a path, I'm using it, but even then only sometimes. And I use it to fill in walls in houses. But that's pretty much it.

I don't use it to mine ores, for the most part. I don't use it to build most housing or other constructs.

I use it in fits and spurts. There maybe a 20 second to 2 minute burst when I need it, but then I'm done. Being able to take my hand off the keyboard for that 2 minutes is good. But I'm not going to go into a menu and select an option and then have to remember to turn that option off once I get done. Not for something that's only going to be a minute or two.

I use it far too intermittently to be something that I want a toggle for.

I suppose I'm also asking how are forgetting smart cursor is enabled when you can see the yellow block?

When paying attention in Terraria, there are at least 3 things you have to think about: where you are, where you're going, and where the cursor is (because that's where your action will be directed). Adding a fourth thing into that, like looking at a yellow box, is adding unnecessary complexity. Especially since there may be enemies about, and you need to pay attention to them too.

So I don't notice it.

Back
Top Bottom