Why weren't Luminite Drills, Chainsaws and Hammers fully implemented?

Well, one reason can be Drill Mount, and another reason may be why we didn't use to pickaxes on ver1.1 or a drill counters Picksaw on ver1.2

Sure, crafting it really hard but worth it. And also it doesn't require fragments, which can be used for other stuff.

I'm pretty sure that if the DCU was the only reason, then I find that a bad reason.

The DCU is made to make destruction, such a tool can never be useful while building/chopping trees from below or remove background walls.

pickaxes and drills are still useful to mine a single specefic block, and I'm annoyed that there are only hamaxes, which cause to remove the tree first instead of the background object behind the tree.

Therefore. everyone has choices, limiting it only to the item that's technically better is not to everyones wish.
So it makes me wonder why not all the tools are implemented indeed.

Probably because chainsaws, hammers and drills are redundant and inferior to their counterparts.
Chainsaws: No need for a separate Chainsaw item because we have Hamaxes.
Drills: Inferior to picks. Picks have better range, control and speed. And picks can be used as a weapon on weaker enemies.
Hammers: No need for a separate Hammer item because we have Hamaxes. All hammers break all walls instantly, so their only defining traits are speed and range, both of which can be applied to hamaxes. There may still be use here for hammers as a weapon, which typically have higher knockback.

There is also another explanation (I think @Leinfors originally stated it when I read it) that chainsaws and drills can't get melee bonuses that improve its speed or range.

Strange how the mechanical modern tools are inferior to their manual old counterparts. But for variety, it'd still be nice to implement them.

Yeah, its something relating to a fundamental limitation of the game . . . you know how chainsaws/drills are a single projectile that is "held out" to mine? Versus the picks/hammers/axes that are swung each time, even if autoswing.

I don't know the specifics, but it has something to do with that.

I would guess that when the original drills were implemented in 1.1, it was more for the cool factor of "oh man, upgrade to DRILL!" without thinking of the long term ramifications of what it established. And they were pretty cool, I think.

Hammers/Axes > Hamaxes was just convenience for people, though I've seen significant pushback to get them anyway (some people citing not liking how missing will tear down their trees/walls, etc).

i'm kind of dissappointed that we can't get them. hamaxes can be problematic for certain projects, and the lunar drills/saws look way cooler than the pick/axe counterparts.
but i can't ever use them, because not even terrasavr can give them for some reason.

Redundancy can't really be the reason, considering that all four flavors of Luminite tools have identical stats. They could've easily simply made a "Luminite Pickaxe" and "Luminite Hamaxe" and called it a day, but they instead made four sets, one for each pillar (and no fifth set for just Luminite).
I would've preferred having the extra tools just for variety.

From my point of view, I assume they simply changed their mind on using them but kept them around in case they decided to use them for a future update.

Back
Top Bottom