Windows 10 Discussion Thread. To get, or not to get?

Will you be getting Windows 10

• Total voters

darthmorf

Treederator
Staff member
So, what with the release of Windows 10 today, I thought it would be apt to have our own discussion thread.

So what're your thoughts about it?
Will you be installing it straight away, or being more cautious and waiting? Or even, refusing to get it at all! Go on, discuss!

I personally have heard lots of bad rumours about the forced Windows updates. According to these rumours, eventually windows plans to force all programs to be installed via their store, in the process banning steam and forcing all PC games to be Microsoft controlled. Somehow, I doubt this to be true though.

I definitely will get it, since I've been participating in the Technical Preview since it became public. From what I've discovered, it's basically Windows 7 with a smarter Windows Menu and overhauls to speed and responsiveness, and of course, graphics. Certainly won't top OS X Yosemite and El Capitan in my book, but it's a start towards a brighter future for Microsoft.

Another reason I was so excited for Windows 10 was Xbox One and PC Crossplay (Which should have been a thing way back to the 360). However, that's minor compared to the Hololens. I have high-hopes for this thing, and if Microsoft manages to somehow screw it up, I will probably lose faith in them for eternity. I also hate how their acquisition of Mojang has almost been used as an advertisement as-well. They featured Minecraft in Hololens, and even Windows 10 (I mean, why did they need to make a sole version to run side by side with pocket edition? Just let the PC version and Mobile version overlap, so another whole version is released.

Well... That got a bit off topic, and a bit rant-like, but I enjoy Windows 10 none-the-less, and encourage people to upgrade.

EDIT: And Terraria and other games appear to run just fine on it. No reason for them not too, unless Microsoft for some reason drops the rest of the .NET framework like they did XNA

idk, yet im gonna wait until somebody else update it. i want to be sure i can run terraria on it, and due my lack of informatical abilities im scared if i broken my laptop when i de-grade it to 8.1 agian :(

idk, yet im gonna wait until somebody else update it. i want to be sure i can run terraria on it, and due my lack of informatical abilities im scared if i broken my laptop when i de-grade it to 8.1 agian :(
Just do a whole system backup to an external hard drive. Then you can always restore back.

I'm definitely waiting until the initial kinks have been worked out. Not risking my main creative workstation or programming rig on what's bound to have 1.0-itis.

When the time is right I'll install it.

Might install it. I'm currently using 7, and I don't really know much of what advantages it has over 7. I'll wait for some time and then maybe install in the future.

It has some snazzy features that look appealing for a current Windows 7 user however I too am concerned about the automatic installation of stuff.

It's free! So free! What does that mean from Microsoft? Advertising. I expect in the future we will be bombarded with ads: your wallpaper has temporarily been replaced with Coca Cola wallpaper.

I'll try it but I think as it's all automated online from now on it will be the last chance for Windows and me. If it turns out a no go I may switch entirely to Linux.

As always, I'm going to wait before installing a brand new OS. There's bound to be plenty of issues needing to be filtered out.
Maybe I'll install it in a few months or even a year.

I read this as "Windows 10 Distruction" and thought that Joel's doing another distruction video.

To be honest, I like the simple Windows 7,I don't need Microsoft's fancy "Windows" button to :red: up my computer.

Trust me, I had Windows 8 once, it's probably the same thing as Windows 10.

I've already tried it, not impressed. It doesn't really offer any advantages over Windows 7, in fact they could have called it "Windows 7-64 V2.0"

It has nice features, like vulnerability, partial incompatibility with XP-era games, and needing to update your video drivers for no other reason than using Windows 10.

According to these rumours, eventually windows plans to force all programs to be installed via their store, in the process banning steam and forcing all PC games to be Microsoft controlled. Somehow, I doubt this to be true though.

These rumors are spawned from people who, like Microsoft does at times, underestimate/dismiss piracy. Bet they'll also tell you that Windows 10 is uncrackable. "Know your enemy" is a phrase they should read until they apply it.

Back
Top Bottom