Windows 10 Discussion Thread. To get, or not to get?

Will you be getting Windows 10

• Total voters
So, my experience so far:

Good:
-I can now set a pin instead of a password for my PC
-Windows Store seems to work better, apps install quicker and don't take as much to load
-Applications in general seem to load quicker, although...

Bad:
-...a few applications, like Terraria, start up very slow. I've waited as much as two minutes for Terraria to start up.
-Power settings are broken. I set the plan to never put the computer to sleep, and it still puts it to sleep every five minutes. Can't leave the computer alone to install or download something anymore.
-Region settings seem to be more... "potent" now? Sites that previously loaded in English now load in my own language. This might be an advantage to some but it pisses me off, I want my internet in English.
-Boots up slower.
-Can't turn off updates anymore. .
-Cortana.
-Minecraft: Windows 10 Edition. It's an insult.

I could live with it if it weren't for the bugged power settings. That's a big problem considering the amount of games I download every week. Legally of course. Yeah right.

I'll post my current experience here now that I've used Windows 10 for a few days

The 1st day I got it, it booted up very slowly which was ridiculous after the restarts that were required to install everything. The next day and days afterward it started up normally if not faster. It uses much less RAM and resources now. Having my Browser and Game Client (Either Steam or GOG Galaxy, I try not to run both at the same time) running at the same time would bring RAM up to 60-70%. Now it is only 50-53% with both active which are the programs I use constantly the most.

Some things that were concerning about the update were that there were a lot of privacy settings that send your personal data to Microsoft that are set to on by default. I turned most of the big no-nos off like Location, Camera, and Advertising ID so that should give as little personal data as possible to Microsoft, but its not a fun idea to think about. Also Microsoft Edge while much better than Internet Explorer isn't good for serving as a default browser unless it can support several security add ons that I use for Opera/Firefox. It also appears that Desktop Gadgets aren't supported any longer which is disappointing as I enjoyed using a few of them. I certainly preferred Window's 7 user interface as the Windows 10 one feels slightly "dumbed down", but it isn't a terrible interface and is similar enough to Windows 7 in terms of the start menu, desktop, and taskbar to feel like it isn't something completely alien like what Windows 8 was.

A feature that was annoying was that it overwrote your local Microsoft account with your online one which caused a few password issues. I'm not sure how I would unlink it now without creating a new local account. Thankfully the new PIN system is very good for logging in to your computer if you're using a Password Manager since you wouldn't actually know most of your passwords if you're using one. For anyone using a Password Manager, take caution when Microsoft links your online account to your local device because it will override your local password with your online account password. The PIN System is the best way around this which is under the Accounts -> Sign In Options. There are also other options one could use if they preferred.

The important thing is that pretty much all my games work and most programs I've used before work as well. There's only one program that I have that I know of that isn't working properly after this update. And yes Terraria runs just as well if not slightly better on Windows 10.

The App Store has a few interesting things like the Netflix app which makes it even easier to watch anime, but most of what's offered isn't super important and would be easy to live without.

Knowing what I would know now I would probably have preferred staying with Windows 7 a little longer. I mainly got the upgrade for the performance and security improvements rather than the new Features, and because someday I'll have to upgrade eventually when I need a new laptop. It seems that I have to dance more carefully with how I handle the new privacy settings since I'm not comfortable with too much personal data leaking out to too many big corporations like Microsoft, Google, and Especially Facebook. I'm okay with the upgrade since its mostly like an upgraded Windows 7 which is what I hoped for, but I don't think there is a huge rush to upgrade unless you really want your computer to perform better and want more security options.

Alright, Windows 10 is officially a piece of :red:.

I'm trying to edit a file to make a game recognize my graphics card. Something I've done tens of times before on Windows 8. With admin privileges, full permissions, file not marked as Read-Onliy, and it keeps telling me "Access is denied" whenever I try to save it.

Piece.
Of.
:red:.

Alright, Windows 10 is officially a piece of :red:.

I'm trying to edit a file to make a game recognize my graphics card. Something I've done tens of times before on Windows 8. With admin privileges, full permissions, file not marked as Read-Onliy, and it keeps telling me "Access is denied" whenever I try to save it.

Piece.
Of.
:red:.
in your opinion it is, but i for my part have absolutely no problems with it, other than hackshield and gameguard not supporting it yet. as for your updates.. if you have the home version then you cant stop or postpone updates.. thats a given since win 10. windows 10 pro offers the possibility to change the setting that you can even postpone updates for like forever (not recommended though)

i dont know which file you wanted to edit to make the game recognize it so i cant really say anything about that, but if it is a system relevant file then ofc it wouldnt allow you to, as it might break the whole system if everyone could simply edit stuff there

power settings actually work like a charm, and almost every application (terraria or not) runs up in a few seconds (like it used to do in win 8 for me)

as it was stated multiple times, windows 10 boots up the fastest out of all windows versions.. pre-requisite would be having no updates running.
if there are any updates then ofc it would take a little bit until its done changing settings and all.

before claiming that windows 10 is "officially a piece of :red:" like you stated, i would check the experiences of others, especially those who dont have any troubles.
i dont have a high-end computer, its actually close to the border of being bad in current terms of hardware availability, and it works like a charm. my comp never ran better. even old netbooks and notebooks (and i mean really old.. having only 2.4 ghz single core processors and the like) can run windows 10 without that much problems (with only slight graphic stutters)

either you manage your computer clearly out of normality, or it simply isnt compatible...

well if it works for some then it clearly isnt the OS but the user or atleast the comp

if it wouldnt work properly for everyone then it would be the OS

If a bug in the OS doesn't affect 100% of users then the OS isn't to blame? Seriously? ._.

Well :red:, why do software developers even bother fixing bugs. There isn't a single bug that affects 100% of users, by your logic that means every program ever made is bug free.

Last edited:
You can't be serious. If a bug in the OS doesn't affect 100% of users then the OS isn't to blame? Really??
tell me what bug?
"-Boots up slower." ???
it's been said multiple times already its because of updates and the like, and you still mention it.
i've said multiple times already, I HAVE NONE OF THE PROBLEMS YOU MENTIONED

if it were a bug, then its a bug in YOUR comp and YOUR system, and not a bug in the OS... because if it were then i'd have it on all the systems in my family aswell dont you think so too?
also thanks for quoting my post on the "What is the dumbest thing you have ever heard someone say?" thread...

Edit: also about the Power Options... you can double check them.. and IF theyre set to never turning off display and going in standby then they WILL never do it
Edit: i should probably mention: i have 7-8 systems running on win10 in my family, including tablet and old note-/netbooks

From https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

Finally, we will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to:

1. comply with applicable law or respond to valid legal process, including from law enforcement or other government agencies;
  2. protect our customers, for example to prevent spam or attempts to defraud users of the services, or to help prevent the loss of life or serious injury of anyone;
  3. operate and maintain the security of our services, including to prevent or stop an attack on our computer systems or networks; or
  4. protect the rights or property of Microsoft, including enforcing the terms governing the use of the services - however, if we receive information indicating that someone is using our services to traffic in stolen intellectual or physical property of Microsoft, we will not inspect a customer's private content ourselves, but we may refer the matter to law enforcement.

Who decides when it's "necessary" to violate your privacy, and how do they make that decision? Good job Microsoft, you've scared yet another person away from Windows 10.

You need to spend about half an hour destroying all the privacy issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3f38ed/guide_how_to_disable_data_logging_in_w10

Even then Windows updates constantly without your control so all of this could be undone in time by MS. I'm sure I turned apps off using my camera only to find the setting turned on again. Annoying.

If you want a quick lol: Right click on your desktop and click "Personalise". Nice "app" huh? Click Themes -> Theme Settings. Notice the statement "Click a them to change it..."? Yeah, try doing it. After that go to Control Panel (right click start button) -> Personalisation. Yeah, there it is, straight to the half baked Windows 7 window. What a mess.

I kinda feel like getting Windows 10, but I'll have to get, *shudders* Windows 8, when I'm stuck in the decent Windows 7.

But, I guess staying on Windows 7 couldn't hurt, until the extended support ends at 2020 (because focusing on different versions is for scrubs, ain't it Microsoft?!)

Don't want to use an anti-virus? Well sucks for you, the only way to shut down Windows Defender for good is to install a 3rd party anti-virus.

From https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement/default.aspx

Who decides when it's "necessary" to violate your privacy, and how do they make that decision? Good job Microsoft, you've scared yet another person away from Windows 10.

Oh but no, let's name EA the Worst Company in America 'cause they made a few crappy games.

Don't want to use an anti-virus? Well sucks for you, the only way to shut down Windows Defender for good is to install a 3rd party anti-virus.

Oh but no, let's name EA the Worst Company in America 'cause they made a few crappy games.
Despite "professional" opinion no one in their right mind should have ever used anti virus software in the last decade. That crap is an unnecessary resource hog and only intrudes on low level processing. Check this out: http://www.sandboxie.com/

Seriously, anti virus software needs to die, it's rubbishware.

Last edited:

I can understand why. I won't pretend to know Microsoft's track record with this sort of business practice, but EA has a.. "habit" of buying studios that end up closing. My inner tinfoil hat-wearer suspects it's not a coincidence.

I can understand why. I won't pretend to know Microsoft's track record with this sort of business practice, but EA has a.. "habit" of buying studios that end up closing. My inner tinfoil hat-wearer suspects it's not a coincidence.

Yeah but what most people aren't aware of is that most (if not all) of those studios would've ended up shutting down anyway if EA hadn't bought them. Not to mention all the series that never would've existed if EA hadn't bought the studios behind them. Just look at Maxis, everybody's cursing EA 'cause they "ran them into the ground" but back when bankruptcy was knocking on their door and nobody would publish Dollhouse because they thought it was a joke, who saved their asses? EA. And what was the first thing they had them do? Resume the Dollhouse project. Nowadays known better as The Sims, series with one of the biggest fan-bases ever. Mostly spoiled children who blame EA for 90% of the world's problems.

Anyway, here I am ranting about EA in a Windows 10 topic. I guess I should say something about it umm... yeah this should do:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom