Windows 10 Technical Preview

Kiddles

Duke Fishron
So Microsoft has now announced their new operating system, redundantly named Windows 9 Windows 10. So wait, why Windows 10 instead of Windows 9? Well, I'll let Ian Paul from PC World explain that one. Anyway, after the borderline failure that was Windows 8, Microsoft decided to FINALLY give users the option between an actual 'Start Menu', or the 'Start Screen'. They have also released a Technical Preview of their upcoming OS, available here.

Anyway, I've decided to download the Technical Preview version of the OS out of curiosity. After all, I skipped Windows 8, as I personally was not quite satisfied with the Start Screen, myself. So far, my experience has been pleasant enough. I'm still adapting to the metro interface, coming from Windows 7, but so far I've been able to figure things out without getting too lost. One of the new features I'm enjoying most, that Microsoft should have added a LONG time ago, is the ability to make multiple desktops.

xonwww.jpg

Of course, there are a few complaints that I do have, so far. For example, the 'Control Panel' has been replaced with the ugly 'PC Settings' window. From what I've seen, it is basically a very dumbed down control panel, meant to be more user-friendly. This is both, good, and bad. On the plus side, newer users are able to explore options a lot more easily, and the configurations appear, for the most part, pretty basic. But for those of us who like to be able to change more advanced settings, and to be able to do much of it from one centralized hub, it means that we have to explore other areas to change the things that we want. Hopefully this will be remedied in future updates. After all, it is still a pre-release version of Windows.

2ajq7ol.jpg

As for the Start Menu, it's basically the result of the Windows 7 Start Menu and the Windows 8 Start screen doing the fusion dance. I, personally, have mixed feelings about this, because, on one hand, it's a LOT more convenient (for me) than the ugly Start Screen. And you can easily add apps to the right side of the menu through simple drag and drop methods, and even customize the size, making them either Small, Medium, Wide, or Large (depending on the item). Of course, the tiles, to me, anyway, don't look very attractive. And I highly prefer the look of Windows 7's Aero UI to the Metro Interface. Still though, it provides functionality and ease of use. My favorite thing about it is that pinned programs, like Explorer, Photoshop and VLC, have submenus for recently opened items. And it's far more appealing to the Start Menu traditionalists than the Start Screen is.

sq10uf.jpg

10hmu7n.jpg

Anyway, that's my take on it so far. I'll add more as I continue to explore. For those of you who are curious to check it out, it should be known that it will "upgrade" your current installation of Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1. So only do it if you either have an extra Windows install on a separate hard drive or partition, or if you're curious enough to overwrite your current installation. In the least, you won't lose any of your programs or files from your previous install. In fact, your entire registry table carries over, and I've yet to encounter any problems with my previously installed programs. Including Steam and Terraria!

felbwn.jpg

Last edited:
So basically, Microsoft has gone full Electronic Arts now, aye? One new OS every six months? Sounds fun, and will make me trust their ability to actually release complete OSs and not just the same thing with a higher number on it to sell to the masses. Which is what Electronic Arts does with their sports games, in case anybody missed the reference.

To be fair, they released Win7 in 2009 and Win8 in 2012. They were going with two to three-year release sequences for a while. Win3.1 in 1992, Win95 in 1995, Win98 in 1998, Win ME in 2000 (biggest mistake ever), Win 2000 in 2000, XP in 2001, and then, finally Vista in 2007 (because XP was just so right). Windows 10 won't be coming out until mid-2015, so that's still a three-year span between releases. As for why they didn't name it Windows 9, well, that's Microsoft logic for ya.

It's a logic that's present everywhere, though, no matter which company you look at. When sales go down, put out a new product. When your last product failed, put something out that's better and will (hopefully) redeem the company. Of course, Microsoft has had to redeem itself on several occasions now (ME, Vista, Win8).

It's bad that I'll have to wait until ~ 2018 before getting the next stable OS since 7, though - because their "full release" versions are usually as good as alphas, and those buying them test for bugs.

That, I must admit, is a smart business tactic. Why pay alpha/beta testers, when you can just have people pay you to beta-test your product? //I said smart, not respectable.

Anyway, after the borderline failure that was Windows 8, Microsoft decided to FINALLY give users the option between an actual 'Start Menu', or the 'Start Screen'.
That is good for users that are used to windows 7 and skipped windows 8. Also for people who came from a mac or something like that and used windows 8 for their first Microsoft OS.
After all, I skipped Windows 8, as I personally was not quite satisfied with the Start Screen, myself.
I think it just takes some getting used to.
the 'Control Panel' has been replaced with the ugly 'PC Settings' window. From what I've seen, it is basically a very dumbed down control panel, meant to be more user-friendly.
This is good for people who struggle with figuring out computers but I think they should give the option to do a more advanced control panel window.

Anyway, this is just my opinion. Good thing you can play terraria on it!

Nice.

I'm on windows 8.1, myself. xD I am considerably indifferent to some aspects of Windows 8.1, but they have since remedied a few problems, and it's actually quite a decent OS, now. That said, I recently acquired a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM code, so I plan to use that and get shot of this Windows 8.1, as much as I'm used to it.

I think the control panel issue you had is that there's two different "settings" areas, the control panel, and the crappy (plus ugly, as you said xD) Metro kind of settings bit. Presuming they've used a lot of Windows 8.1, which it seems they have, you can probably just change a setting or two and have it like I have mine: more like Windows 7. Isn't it strange how I spent £80 or so to make an operating system look more like the previous operating system; that's when you know they kinda made some mistakes, IMO. xD

Was the demo an ISO file? I'd like to try it, but not at the cost of eradicating my current OS install. I guess I could try it when I do eventually get around to installing Windows 7, but you know what? I bought this damn thing, I've been using it with few problems (OK, I've some real corkers, like that stupid, infamous USB issue!) so I kinda feel like I might as well use it. (the OEM key I mentioned is legitimate but was given to me by someone)

Nice.

I'm on windows 8.1, myself. xD I am considerably indifferent to some aspects of Windows 8.1, but they have since remedied a few problems, and it's actually quite a decent OS, now. That said, I recently acquired a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM code, so I plan to use that and get shot of this Windows 8.1, as much as I'm used to it.

I think the control panel issue you had is that there's two different "settings" areas, the control panel, and the crappy (plus ugly, as you said xD) Metro kind of settings bit. Presuming they've used a lot of Windows 8.1, which it seems they have, you can probably just change a setting or two and have it like I have mine: more like Windows 7. Isn't it strange how I spent £80 or so to make an operating system look more like the previous operating system; that's when you know they kinda made some mistakes, IMO. xD

Was the demo an ISO file? I'd like to try it, but not at the cost of eradicating my current OS install. I guess I could try it when I do eventually get around to installing Windows 7, but you know what? I bought this damn thing, I've been using it with few problems (OK, I've some real corkers, like that stupid, infamous USB issue!) so I kinda feel like I might as well use it. (the OEM key I mentioned is legitimate but was given to me by someone)

It's just personal preference. I guess I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to the whole Start Menu thing. Still, I have been trying to use the start Screen more, just so that I can adapt to it, considering I service other people's computers from time to time.

As for the Control Panel/PC Settings, I'm starting to adapt to it. Still though, I have yet to figure out how to change Ethernet Adaptor settings so as to use static settings.

As for the demo, the way MS made me download it was through a Windows Update environment, which does, and doesn't make sense. If you want an ISO though ---> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso

Last edited:
I'm kinda used to getting the "better than windows *" upgrades for windows, and 10 kinda looks like that. At least they don't force that :redmunch::redmunch::redmunch::redspin: start screen.

I had to actually help someone work their new windows 8 and even I had a hard time with it. And I've used computers since an early age.

I dunno, since I installed Windows 10 Terraria has been locked at 45 frames per second for me. I've done everything I could think of to get it back up to 60 FPS, but not even minimum graphics settings will do it. Anyone have ideas on how they can help?

Back
Top Bottom