Casual Windows 8 Vs. Windows 7

Which is best? Windows 7 or Windows 8?

• Total voters
I'm rather interested in buying a new laptop, but I'm not sure which of these I want. Windows 8 seems different and more... stylish, but Windows 7 would be what I'm used to.

Here is what I will use the Laptop for:

-Gaming
-Work
-Internet surfing
-No major video editing software
-General Goof-off-ness

So, based off of your experiences, what is best?

EDIT: Also, what laptop would you recommend? Any laptops that are good and affordable?

I'm not sure. I'm used to Windows 7, but Windows 8 is not very different except for the Start menu.
There are more Windows 8 latpops, Windows 7 ones are hard to find. (At least where I look)

I never had windows 8 but I can literary guess that is way better than windows 7 at gaming . I belive that windows 7 is a bit crappy .

In this office I've got devices running Win7, Win8, OSX Yosemite, Ubuntu Linux, Android, and iOS. I think can make a fair comparison, based mostly on my own experiences and not unduly influenced by good or bad publicity.

If "Work" includes programming using Visual Studio, you'll probably want to go with 8. My understanding is that the newer MS development stuff won't run on 7. Otherwise, I'd decide based on other specs and features of the devices you're choosing from.

I anticipated really disliking Win8 but got a good deal on a powerful desktop with 8 installed so I bit the bullet. It's mildly annoying at times, yes. For the most part I can ignore or work around the obnoxious bits. I do find myself irritated with some of Microsoft's decisions, such as the well-known elimination of the Start menu. There are always third-party add-ons, though; one came loaded but not installed on my desktop. Maybe I'll try it some day, but for now I'm trying to adjust to the new environment rather than forcing it to adapt to me. Eventually I'll decide "enough of that, now it's time for it to give a little."

Whichever you go with you'll get a pretty good OS. All the major desktop/laptop operating systems have evolved to the point where they share a basic list of features and capabilities, and commercial pressures will keep driving each OS to adopt as many of its competition's best new features as legally and technologically feasible.

My cousin has a windows 8 laptop, and from what I've seen, windows 7 is way better. The main reason is that everything is much more easily accessed on a windows 7 computer. It seems like windows 8 just over-complicates things. I don't have too much to base my info on, but there's my opinion...which no one cares for...because this is the internet.

Reactions: Azu
Put a "My Computer" icon on your Desktop, same as you might do in Win7. Invest ten seconds once, trivially easy file access from then on.

Also, this is the laptop I'm currently typing on. It's pretty legit, it can run games like Bioshock Infinite on medium graphics pretty well, so games like terraria will run just fine. It's also got a 1920x1080 screen resolution, which is pretty great. (maybe a lot of laptops have this, but I'm not used to it, so I think it rocks.)

Edit: Also, it's not terribly pricey. It's only a good $400-$500.

Last edited:
@Molos Elethros : Nice computer. Display's got the same horizontal resolution as my big Samsung display and just slightly less vertical. If someone gave me one of those I wouldn't be disappointed no matter what OS was on it. (Naturally I'd install Virtual Box and put Ubuntu Trusty Tahr on it as well.)

Personally, I prefer Windows 8.
Windows 7 is what I have on my crap-top, and it's pretty good. Honestly, it's about as good as Windows XP, honestly.
Windows 8 is good, because you can have so much stuff on the start menu by comparison to the Windows 7 start. I can simply log on, and have everything there for me to use. Yes, it's more complicated, but it's really awesome once you figure it out. The desktop isn't really different to Windows 7.

Personally, I prefer Windows 8.
Windows 7 is what I have on my crap-top, and it's pretty good. Honestly, it's about as good as Windows XP, honestly.
Windows 8 is good, because you can have so much stuff on the start menu by comparison to the Windows 7 start. I can simply log on, and have everything there for me to use. Yes, it's more complicated, but it's really awesome once you figure it out. The desktop isn't really different to Windows 7.

Our Friendship =/= Existance

Our Friendship =/= Existence
Everybody hates me.
I see no difference in my life
why? Cause it's already wrought with strife
Nobody likes me
I feel like a cold cup of tea
awful, useless,
terrible, soul-less
It's my way of surviving
Nobody said it was easy,
you see, i'm barely thriving
Cause everyone thinks i'm measly.
I'm intelligent, yes,
but does not that make strength-less?
Apparently so
And thus my life is filled with woe
I'm just gonna go
Cry on my bed
While being the sick-head
That is me.
Seriously, I may seem free
but i'm bound to my limits
And my limits are very low, indeed.
Physical strength is what is used
for stopping yourself from being abused
But I lack any of that
So I sit there, wearing a shady hat
so nobody knows who I am
where I come from
Or what I am destined to be.

Enjoy my poem.

I'm conflicted on this one. I used Windows 7 for several years and always liked it. In fact, there was nothing I didn't like about it. But now that I have a gaming PC, I've been enjoying 8 as well. It's faster, better for gaming, and if you use Classic Shell, you can get the start menu back. But of course I NEVER use the lame "tile menu" or whatever you want to call it, plus you shouldn't have to download a program for the start menu.

So there should be a "I like both" option.

Also, this is the laptop I'm currently typing on. It's pretty legit, it can run games like Bioshock Infinite on medium graphics pretty well, so games like terraria will run just fine. It's also got a 1920x1080 screen resolution, which is pretty great. (maybe a lot of laptops have this, but I'm not used to it, so I think it rocks.)

Edit: Also, it's not terribly pricey. It's only a good $400-$500.
Dang! thats a good deal. i7 and 8 gigabytes of ram for 450.

windows 7. the new ones are just overly fancy and don't add anything actually helpful, it justs makes stuff complicated.

I personally like both of the operating systems, as I use both almost daily. However, looking into the future, buy whichever os is currently cheaper, as when Windows 10 comes out, it should be a good combination of both, you you get it as a free update if you own one of the two previous two os's. Also, if you get Windows 8, make sure that it's 8.1, as it fixes many of the original issues with Windows 8, which may not have been fixed in pure 8. All in all, 8 is faster, more powerful, and better adapted to newer applications, 7 is better for legacy applications and older feel, and the future 10 should be a good combination of both. That's my three cents.

I like both, but I just installed boot camp for mac using windows 7.

I like windows 7 because its enthusiast, and not gimmicky!

Everyone hated either Vista or XP when it first came out (can't remember which).
History is repeating itself.

Back
Top Bottom