Weapons & Equip Wing Equipment Slot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurora3500

🌳
Staff member
I used the search function to look for a similar topic as well as look through several pages of the Equipment Suggestions and did not see a thread dedicated to talking about an additional Accessory/Equipment Slot used only for wings. Apologies if a thread like this already exists.

Wings would get their own dedicated slot with this suggestion, it would be classified as Equipment and placed where the Grappling Hook/Minecart/Mount/Pet slots are.

Why should wings get their own slot while other accessories like Rocket Boots/Spectre Boots/Mana Cuffs/Obsidian Shield/Lava Charm don't get their own slot? Because in hardmode Wings play an important part in many player's strategies in battling bosses/exploring more of their worlds, and many players typically use wings as one of their accessories no matter what kind of character/class they are playing. There are also over 20 wings that can be used on a character, all with different stats. The 1.3 update alone adds or makes available at least 5 different wings as well. No other group of movement/combat accessories in this game have over 20 variations of a certain kind. Also only 1 Wing can be equipped on a character at a time, which would make it easier to link wings to their own slot.

This slot would naturally only be able to be used in hardmode as wings can only be obtained from a hardmode world if a player plays with a fresh world and character. This is fair as it is possible for a player to have not obtained a pet up to hardmode yet, or even until the endgame if they can't get a pet summoning item same can apply to minecarts, mounts, and grappling hooks if a player for some reason doesn't craft or find a hook for awhile.

It could also be possible to require this slot to be earned. The player needs to craft an item that requires something like 30 souls of flight and 50 feathers which can unlock the Wing Slot. This way the slot wouldn't appear pre-hardmode with a fresh world and character.

The 6th Accessory slot used in Expert Hardmode certainly helps a lot, and makes it a little easier for players to experiment with several Accessories to better fit their play style. Though for Normal Mode players many are still limited to 4 accessories from using Wings in one of them. Having 1-2 extra accessory slots wouldn't let a character become overpowered.

The same argument could be made about shields, but 5 shields (Colbalt, Obsidian, Ankh, Paladin, Cthulhu) compared to 20+ Wings isn't as huge. Shields can also be equipped and used at the same time while Wings can't. For some people this would be very important if they wanted the effects of 2 shields together for their play style.

With the fact they added slots for grappling, pet, Light Pet, and mount says something. Wings should have their own slot, and should use the Hardmode made "Icarus Potion" (Goddess Approved) to unlock the slot. As you said- 30 flight souls, I'd say 20 feathers and 30 Pixie Dust.

Icarus Potion name- Pun on the fact Pit from Kid Icarus has to use his Goddess, Palutena to fly.. for 5 minutes.
Why pixie dust? Pixie Dust is supposed to give flight, like in Peter Pan.

I actually do like this idea. I would reeeeeeally want vanity wings to still be a thing though in this wing slot. (Since you cannot have a light pet look like another light pet, or a minecart to look like another minecart)

I also find myself using the hoverboard or endgame wings, even when I have mounts that fly forever...

That would be cool! I actually like using infinite mounts instead of wings because they free 1 accessory slot from wings. Now I can also freely use wings!

I would reeeeeeally want vanity wings to still be a thing though in this wing slot. (Since you cannot have a light pet look like another light pet, or a minecart to look like another minecart)

I actually have the same suggestion in the equipment category called "make vanity (social) slots for equipment". Go support if you'd like!

This should seriously be a thing

I can have a flying ufo car at the ready with R, but I still have to take up an accessory slot to fly normally?

Full Support because I would love to be able to use more accessories for actually altering combat/immunities

I actually stopped using wings once I got my UFO just so I could do more DPS.
I support this while also mildly not wanting it.

I definitely support. Yes, you have your own slot for mounts, but decent flying mounts don't come until at least Fishron. We should be able to use wings independently until then. I like the idea of the Icarus potion a lot. It's balanced, and keeps the perpetually empty Wing slot from messing with pre-hardmode players. I also agree with shields having their own slot.

After getting a flying mount I don't even use wings anymore.
Also hate the fact that wings show all the time when in vanity slots except a few rare wings so, after I get mount they just collect dust in a chest somewhere.
Still support though!

Developer Cenx has commented in another similar Wing Equipment Slot thread stating that a Wing Slot would mess with game balance. This makes it very unlikely to see a Wing Slot become part of the game someday. This is sad to hear, but understandable from a gameplay perspective.

Even so, I would still like to present one other way that a Wing Slot could become part of the game trying not to make the game too unbalanced. Or make it too easy. If even this seems like it would still make the player too overpowered in the Developer's eyes I will understand any decision the Developers make.

It would involve being unlockable through a potion as discussed earlier. @DemonSword provided the cool Icarus Potion name which is what we'll call this potion. It would be locked to the Post-Golem Tier so that it can only be used in the endgame, requiring the player to still use wings in one of the 5/6 Accessory slots throughout most of hardmode. As a result the Icarus Potion recipe would require Beetle Wings in addition to the 30 Souls of Flight, 20 Feathers, and 30 Pixie Dust from DemonSword's original recipe. The main reason for this is because from the Developer's eyes, allowing the player to have a wing slot will make the game unbalanced. As another sacrifice of bringing the Wing Slot, the Modifier of the Wing (things like Menacing/Warding) can't be used while in the wing slot because the wing slot is meant for movement instead of combat. This would prevent the player from having 6/7 modifiers increasing their overall stats which is likely what the developers are trying to avoid.

Being locked to Golem ensures that the player has played through most of the game up to that point and has beaten a majority of the Hardmode Challenges. The challenges that remain for most players (Duke Fishron, Martian Madness, Holiday Moons, Lunar Events) are still very difficult even for the players that have a lot of experience with the game. I could be wrong, but having one extra accessory slot free will not have a huge impact on these challenges of the game. It is true that having an extra accessory will make the game easier, there is no getting around this, but to what degree the game will make it easy is difficult to say. I don't see how having an additional accessory slot as a result of using wings in the wing slot will allow the player to defeat things like Duke Fishron, Holiday Moons, the Lunar Event, and Moon Lord much easier compared to if they can defeat them now. Though if the developers think this is the case then we have to accept this.

One more thing I want to say is that the motivation to have a Wing Slot in the game (In my thread for it at least) is not so that the player can use an additional accessory in place of wings. It is because unlike many of the other items and accessories in the game, wings are a body part and are meant to feel like part of the character. It just feels strange that Wings can be taken off and on like a ring, when obtaining Wings in Hardmode symbolizes that the player has evolved and has much better mobility to defend oneself against the harder enemies and should be a permanent part of the player.

In short, the main motivation of having a Wing Slot is to make it feel like Wings are more of a body part of the player, the new open accessory slot is a side effect of this rather than being intentional, and this side effect is the reason that a Wing Slot is viewed as being overpowered by the Developers and there's no way to get around this.

I apologize if my tone comes off as defying what a Developer has stated as fact. I can't deny that I'm a little disappointed that this suggestion would mess up the game's balance as the intention of this idea isn't to make the game unbalanced. Terraria is still a fantastic game with or without a Wing Slot, and as a player I trust that the developers have our best interests in mind to make the game as fun as possible. I am fine with putting this idea to rest and accepting the Developer's decision on this matter.

At the very least it looks like Terraria Otherworld will have a Wing Slot which is a game I'm very much looking forward to.

And a convenient snip.

Honestly I don't really see how it's all that OP, I'm pretty sure quite a lot of people have moved away from wings and uses flying mounts instead, only downside to the mount is that you need special doors/walls of platforms to go through and you need to press R instead of just holding space to summon it, not hard to learn and /worth for perma flight.
Other than that, I don't really see the point in wings, even the saucer is a good flying mount and can be obtained fairly easily while cute fishron is just miles away from any wings, if you build your arena with a tiny pool of water you can dip into lol.

And well, you can now use a 6th slot for something more useful, so same thing really.
Only thing I can see is the prefix but, uhm, easy fix, disable prefixes on wings.

Oh and, mobility? Sure, some wings pick up speed faster than saucer/unbuffed cute fishron (we all know how easy it is to get fishron buff though) but if you just build arenas more suited for mounts than they are for wings then you'll rarely need to unsummon the mount through grappling to escape something.

I killed Expert Fishron after 5 tries, I had never fought him before or even seen his attack patterns, even on normal mode, not sure why, I just never did it.
What did I use? No wings and Saucer mount all the way, with no arena at all.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't really see how it's all that OP, I'm pretty sure quite a lot of people have moved away from wings and uses flying mounts instead, only downside to the mount is that you need special doors/walls of platforms to go through and you need to press R instead of just holding space to summon it, not hard to learn and /worth for perma flight.
Other than that, I don't really see the point in wings, even the saucer is a good flying mount and can be obtained fairly easily while cute pigron is just miles away from any wings, if you build your arena with a tiny pool of water you can dip into lol.

I do agree in that I'm not seeing how its overpowered. I still prefer Wings over mounts though. Even though I do enjoy the mounts as well.

I see Mounts as being very useful during Boss Battles, mainly things like the Lunar, Holiday Moons, and Moon Lord. They are also great for exploring the surface.

For general exploring Underground, Wings are still king because the UFO/Fishron Mounts are much slower. The speed of wings compared to the mounts is a huge benefit of using wings instead of mounts underground. There is never really a need for infinite flight underground anyway since most of the top tier wings can fly more than long enough to get to any height and keep the player floating in place long enough. Plus its just much faster to get from one cavern to the other easily with wings, while it would take longer if you just used the mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom