Game Mechanics Wing Slot

Should there be a wing slot?

• Total voters
S/he's saying that, if this is about balancing the fact that flying mounts make wings virtually obsolete because they give pretty much the same effect without using an accessory slot, then instead make it so that, while riding a mount, you can't use your equipped item, and can only use the mount's special ability (similar to how, with the Drill Containment Unit, you can't use your equipped item, you can only use the DCU's laser drills). This way, you can go with a flying mount (which doesn't use an accessory slot, but doesn't allow you to use items from your hotbar), or wings (allows you to use items from your hotbar, but does not grant unlimited flight, and uses an accessory slot).
Okay I got it now. The wing thing was just a suggestion that I thought be would be for. An as of now the poll is saying they are. Again just an idea though! Thanks!
[DOUBLEPOST=1438556595,1438556578][/DOUBLEPOST]
Great idea! Supported. :happy:
Thanks!

I agree that there should be a wing slot. And honestly, I still think a wing slot would be better than nerfing mounts, since wings already have the advantage of not increasing your height, and the disadvantages of limited flight time and taking up an accessory slot.

Everyone uses Frostspark Boots or something like it. It should have its own slot.
I disagree with this. Boots aren't really used as much as wings.
[DOUBLEPOST=1438617697,1438617663][/DOUBLEPOST]
No, just because something will be in T:OW, doesn't mean it should be added. OW is a what it could have been game, therefore LOTS of features that aren't in Terraria.

That was just an example. People are having trouble getting past that. I was just giving that as a possible reason.

Wings are irreplaceable, at least for most of the game.
When I equip a wing, it doesn't feel like I'm using up a slot. I'm losing a slot, because wings are mandatory and I cannot replace them if I want to survive.

This is why I support this. Even a single extra slot would give room for a lot of customization!

you're either going to end up with a ridiculous amount of slots(1 for everything and still the freeform 5/6) prettymuch letting you wear everything at once making the game, tinkering and accessories in general trivial
OR you're going to end up dramatically restricting accessories/"builds" by item's token similarities rather than expanding their slot count.(ex only one set of boot like accessories at a time, only one trinket, one shield ect, make everything work like armor slots)

either way the game doesn't need it.
I don't see why not tbh

Perhaps we could have 1 slot, (just one), that a shield, boots, or wings could go in. You would still be able to wear them in accessory slots.

Perhaps we could have 1 slot, (just one), that a shield, boots, or wings could go in. You would still be able to wear them in accessory slots.
now its just getting a bit silly, wheres the logic in that grouping? in what way is "this is an accessory slot that takes a random smattering of items" intuitive?

besides celestial charms or some sort of emblem are at least as wide spread as shield use.

at this point the idea has decayed into being covered by "give us more accessory tinkers"
Then mounts turn useless again, like in 1.2.
then wings are useful again like in 1.2

or: then mounts are unique items not just a funny looking wing and unlike in 1.2 grant some form of attack/tool/special ability along with their mobility. think drill mount. the slime's goomba stomp can be pretty useful. they'd at least be general mobility items while wings are probably better for real fights. the ones without an attack have other bonuses like fall immunity and landspeed or doublejumps. There isn't a wing in the game to match reindeer or fishron for travel even without weapons.(but fine then, add a late game saddle accessory if you want to be able to build from bee back or something, i donno)

your question of "why would i use a mount that doesn't let me use items" is met with "why would i use wings(at the cost of an accessory slot) once i get fishron's infinite flight mount that goes faster when I'm wounded or wet" if they fill the same niche.

not particularly attched to it, just an alternative for...this.

its certainly better than making random items slotless when they weren't before because mounts got a bit op or some other game has a wing slot.
(oh, we got some extra slots, that means we should get slots for everything right? ...well no, grapple mounts and pets didn't have slots to begin with so thats different(although tbh i felt it a bit unnecessary too, no reason grapple should get a slot when pda doesn't, at least not when devs stripped out the vanity hooks part of the suggestion(aka the suggestion's primary point)))

otherworld is an entirely different game, who knows how wings work there vs here, or how accessories are balanced, or even how the game plays. (I've even heard it described as tower defense though no idea where that guy was getting his info, he didn't reply to my question and I've not paid enough attention to it to say how accurate that is) may as well add a shield slot because other games have them(actually make that "off hand" and let some melee weapons and hand guns be dual wielded. because its in the old gba lord of the rings game)

Last edited:
Here's the thing guys. I consider wings a hardmode necessity. BUT thats just me. Everyone can have their own opinion. I think that boots and shields slots are becoming silly. But thats just my opinion. :p

Honestly rather then add more and more accessory slots maybe there should just be additional merging of items allowed in expert mode. Like if there was an Advanced Tinkerer's Workshop that was Expert mode exclusive and allowed you to take your Frostspark Boots, your favorite Wings, and that Ankh shield and turn them into a a single FlightSuit. Or perhaps get your Destroyer Emblem, the Fire Gauntlet, and the Celestial Cuffs could become some type of Gauntlets of Divine Beatdown. The Celestial Shell could combine with the Arctic Diving Gear and the Master Ninja Gear to become I dunno... Neptune's Spandex.

Look, I am not the person you want naming this stuff, this is just an idea with some examples. The concept here is rather then build out specific accessory slots for required things, just allow more combinations to happen in expert mode where they are needed.

Nope, wings are part accessory that increase your mobility.If you want to max out damage as much as possible you have to take wings off for it.

The other extra equiptment slots are just for things people have in there inventory. NOT things in their other slots wings do HAVE a slot it's just not entirely for them. One of the best things about wings was finally getting my first pair. If people were just supposed to have wings there wouldn't be a slot like pets, light sources, mounts, and grappling hooks. NONE OF THEM ARE REQUIRED!!!

Back
Top Bottom