Wing SLot

ryujae0125

Terrarian
I haven't been really following the forum, but someone proposed this idea of having slot for wings, just like hook slot, since wing is essential part of the game anyway. Does anyone know what developers think about this idea?

This idea has been around since the dawn of time, and frankly there's not really a reason for it. Accessory slots are for accessories, including wings.

This idea has been around since the dawn of time, and frankly there's not really a reason for it. Accessory slots are for accessories, including wings.
there's a mod for it, also it has no business being in the main game cause it's an accessory

Well, to be honest, I think there should be a wing slot. Hooks could have been an accessory, and there are so many wings, similar to hooks, that it'd be such a useful change.

One of the complications is that hooks are available pretty much from the start. Wings are intended to be late(r) game items. A player starting off would have a slot they can't do anything with. The suggestion would arise that we should be able to put balloons, bottles or horseshoes in the slot and then it'd probably snowball from there.

Part of using accessories is also how you balance them. You have to consider what would be more useful for your situation: Speed? Wings? A damage increase? Something defensive? More summons? More mana? The more things that get their own slot, the less relevant accessories become.

One of the complications is that hooks are available pretty much from the start. Wings are intended to be late(r) game items. A player starting off would have a slot they can't do anything with. The suggestion would arise that we should be able to put balloons, bottles or horseshoes in the slot and then it'd probably snowball from there.

Part of using accessories is also how you balance them. You have to consider what would be more useful for your situation: Speed? Wings? A damage increase? Something defensive? More summons? More mana? The more things that get their own slot, the less relevant accessories become.
This could be remedied with a small pool of early game wings with weakened effects - just hover, very short flight, etc.

Not saying this should or shouldn't be implemented, but this problem could be remedied.

This could be remedied with a small pool of early game wings with weakened effects - just hover, very short flight, etc.

Not saying this should or shouldn't be implemented, but this problem could be remedied.
That would just create more problems, namely making every jump accessory in the game obsolete.

And we already have a "just hover" item.

That would just create more problems, namely making every jump accessory in the game obsolete.

And we already have a "just hover" item.
Whoops. By hover I meant slow fall. (Basically umbrella without the hassle)

And early game doesn't necessarily mean immidiately accessible. Just prehardmode.

Whoops. By hover I meant slow fall. (Basically umbrella without the hassle)

And early game doesn't necessarily mean immidiately accessible. Just prehardmode.
Nearly anything pre-hardmode is immediately accessible if you have the skills to pay the bills.

Introducing a definitive hardmode item like wings into prehardmode is a mistake. It will just be confusing and inappropriate.

I actually did make a suggestion for Wing Slots as well a long time ago on the Suggestion Forums. The idea of a wing slot sounds really good and has been something I would've loved to see. But ultimately it is actually too powerful and could mess a lot with the balance of the game to include a wing slot. A statement was made by Cenx herself awhile ago about Wing Slots, and from deep analysis it does make sense why it would be the case.

It is the case with Wings being one of the most commonly used accessories in the game that it would make sense to have a dedicated slot for them, considering how things such as Grappling hooks/pets got their own slots. Those slots are mainly for utility/exploration equipment overall though and don't impact player performance in the same way as wings do though. In addition to the greatly enhanced movement that wings give, having another wing slot would allow for another set of modifiers on the players. bringing it up from the current 5/6 (Expert Mode) to 6/7. Meaning a player could get +28% extra damage for all their weapons compared to 24% on Expert Mode. or 28 defense instead. Even if Modifiers from wings were removed to account for this, it is still essentially free unrestricted movement. And allows for a lot more accessory combinations which could be considered to be very overpowered.

At face value it doesn't seem like a huge impact on gameplay from allowing wings into their own slot, but it does free up an additional accessory slot which allows for more powerful accessories to be used at once, without needing to think about dedicating the strong movement of wings to any of the main accessory slots. The way Terraria is balanced now is from this design.

I actually do agree that the idea itself is cool, and would've loved to see it, but it is ultimately unlikely to be added into the game unfortunately because of how it would mess with the game balance. Nothing wrong with continuing to discuss it and still make one's own take on the idea for it in the Suggestion Forums naturally. It is how it is, and I am just sharing what has been stated publicly from the developers on the view about wing slots. :dryadsmile:

I actually did make a suggestion for Wing Slots as well a long time ago on the Suggestion Forums. The idea of a wing slot sounds really good and has been something I would've loved to see. But ultimately it is actually too powerful and could mess a lot with the balance of the game to include a wing slot. A statement was made by Cenx herself awhile ago about Wing Slots, and from deep analysis it does make sense why it would be the case.

It is the case with Wings being one of the most commonly used accessories in the game that it would make sense to have a dedicated slot for them, considering how things such as Grappling hooks/pets got their own slots. Those slots are mainly for utility/exploration equipment overall though and don't impact player performance in the same way as wings do though. In addition to the greatly enhanced movement that wings give, having another wing slot would allow for another set of modifiers on the players. bringing it up from the current 5/6 (Expert Mode) to 6/7. Meaning a player could get +28% extra damage for all their weapons compared to 24% on Expert Mode. or 28 defense instead. Even if Modifiers from wings were removed to account for this, it is still essentially free unrestricted movement. And allows for a lot more accessory combinations which could be considered to be very overpowered.

At face value it doesn't seem like a huge impact on gameplay from allowing wings into their own slot, but it does free up an additional accessory slot which allows for more powerful accessories to be used at once, without needing to think about dedicating the strong movement of wings to any of the main accessory slots. The way Terraria is balanced now is from this design.

I actually do agree that the idea itself is cool, and would've loved to see it, but it is ultimately unlikely to be added into the game unfortunately because of how it would mess with the game balance. Nothing wrong with continuing to discuss it and still make one's own take on the idea for it in the Suggestion Forums naturally. It is how it is, and I am just sharing what has been stated publicly from the developers on the view about wing slots. :dryadsmile:
I just realized that in expert mode you can rack up modifiers to an outstanding 24% increased damage or crit chance, I always forget about the Demon Heart. I should begin changing my modifiers to offensive, I've been playing for a really long time and haven't needed defense much for a while, even in Expert. Habit I suppose. Although pre-hardmode defensive is probably optimal.

The question is: which has a better DPS, all damage or all crit-chance?

I just realized that in expert mode you can rack up modifiers to an outstanding 24% increased damage or crit chance, I always forget about the Demon Heart. I should begin changing my modifiers to offensive, I've been playing for a really long time and haven't needed defense much for a while, even in Expert. Habit I suppose. Although pre-hardmode defensive is probably optimal.

The question is: which has a better DPS, all damage or all crit-chance?
ok imagine you have a 100 damage weapon
would you rather have accessories that make it do 125 damage or have a ~30% chance to do 200 damage?
it really depends on how fast the weapon is. slower weapons would be better off with all damage but rapid weapons would be better off with crit chance

Maybe add a wing slot flask that can be obtained after the mecha bosses, and allows you to have a wing slot for 5 minutes. (If it runs out your wings are just put in your inventory or dropped on the ground and a message appears in the chat stating: *You're wings seem to have fallen off!" or something like that. They could be originally bought from the wizard for 10 gold each, but they can be upgraded with 3 beetle husks, 16 souls of flight, and 1 bird (cuz why not?) at an alchemy table, then they will last for 12 minutes. After that, they can be upgraded once more by using the previous flask, plus 35 souls of flight, 1 of every pillar fragment, 1 cardinal, and 1 blue jay at the ancient manipulator.

The exact duration and crafting recipes are up for constructive criticism (Even though I think I nailed the recipes tbh)

But for anyone who is feeling extra crazy, Check this out:

The Grand Wing Slot

A consumable item, it looks like a blueprint, similar to the Grand Design. The tooltip says "Surgically attaches wings to your body. Fortunately, it includes a vanity slot." It is crafted with 50 souls of flight, 20 of every pillar fragment, 1 Grand Design, 15 golden birds, 15 golden Butterflies, and any pair of wings. It will basically give you permanent wings, which can be toggled on and off in the equipment menu. They have 168 tile flight time, and 201% flight horizontal flight speed bonus. If you have no wings in the vanity, they will look like giant bird wings, that are sparkling gold, and gives off a little more light than dropping a gold coin does. This last Idea was just for fun, but let me know if any of this sounds fair to you know-it-alls. (JK <3)

Maybe add a wing slot flask that can be obtained after the mecha bosses, and allows you to have a wing slot for 5 minutes. (If it runs out your wings are just put in your inventory or dropped on the ground and a message appears in the chat stating: *You're wings seem to have fallen off!" or something like that. They could be originally bought from the wizard for 10 gold each, but they can be upgraded with 3 beetle husks, 16 souls of flight, and 1 bird (cuz why not?) at an alchemy table, then they will last for 12 minutes. After that, they can be upgraded once more by using the previous flask, plus 35 souls of flight, 1 of every pillar fragment, 1 cardinal, and 1 blue jay at the ancient manipulator.

The exact duration and crafting recipes are up for constructive criticism (Even though I think I nailed the recipes tbh)

The Grand Wing Slot

A consumable item, it looks like a blueprint, similar to the Grand Design. The tooltip says "Surgically attaches wings to your body. Fortunately, it includes a vanity slot." It is crafted with 50 souls of flight, 20 of every pillar fragment, 1 Grand Design, 15 golden birds, 15 golden Butterflies, and any pair of wings. It will basically give you permanent wings, which can be toggled on and off in the equipment menu. They have 168 tile flight time, and 201% flight horizontal flight speed bonus. If you have no wings in the vanity, they will look like giant bird wings, that are sparkling gold, and gives off a little more light than dropping a gold coin does. This last Idea was just for fun, but let me know if any of this sounds fair to you know-it-alls. (JK <3)
why would anybody make a potion that gives you a slot for a specific kind of accessory for such a small amount of time

and just because the grand wing slot is hard to get doesnt make it good

The Grand Wing Slot

I don't think you are understanding how difficult, boring, and mindless it is to get 3 golden birds, much less 30.

I don't think you are understanding how difficult, boring, and mindless it is to get 3 golden birds, much less 30.

That's the point, the Grand wing slot is mostly a joke, and like I said, recipes would be up for some changing. But yeah...that's the point....

Maybe just 1 gold bird.

why would anybody make a potion that gives you a slot for a specific kind of accessory for such a small amount of time

and just because the grand wing slot is hard to get doesn't make it good

According to Aurora3500, an extra slot for wings can give you 28 defense/damage total in expert mode...that's apparently too op. I mean, you do play Terraria, right? What could you possibly stand to gain for disagreeing? You don't like it? Don't use it. :)

That's the point, the Grand wing slot is mostly a joke, and like I said, recipes would be up for some changing. But yeah...that's the point....

Maybe just 1 gold bird.

According to Aurora3500, an extra slot for wings can give you 28 defense/damage total in expert mode...that's apparently too op. I mean, you do play Terraria, right? What could you possibly stand to gain for disagreeing? You don't like it? Don't use it. :)
That argument is ridiculous when you're suggesting making the potion mandatory to use a fundamental item.

Even if it was optional, including content because "you don't like it don't use it" clogs up the game.

Last edited:
That argument is ridiculously when you're suggesting making the potion mandatory to use a fundamental item.

Even if it was optional, including content because "you don't like it don't use it" clogs up the game.

Woah Woah Woah, it's not mandatory. And you know, there are a lot of things in the game that people don't use. Like the ridiculous amount of furniture sets in the game, even though most people go through the entire game using a small pallet of blocks like wood, stone and a few bricks. I mean, the furniture is awesome, but there is no creative mode, so people have to get modded worlds just to use most of the stuff. And whats the difference between "clogging up" and "expanding" the game? To me, that sounds like an opinion based thing. Because the thing about potions/flasks is that they are optional. I bet a lot of people don't use flasks and potions, before expert mode came to be, and if they did, it was just ironskin and regen, mostly. So using a wing slot flask would be sort of expensive, but you could still just stock up on the base potion.

Woah Woah Woah, it's not mandatory. And you know, there are a lot of things in the game that people don't use. Like the ridiculous amount of furniture sets in the game, even though most people go through the entire game using a small pallet of blocks like wood, stone and a few bricks. I mean, the furniture is awesome, but there is no creative mode, so people have to get modded worlds just to use most of the stuff. And whats the difference between "clogging up" and "expanding" the game? To me, that sounds like an opinion based thing. Because the thing about potions/flasks is that they are optional. I bet a lot of people don't use flasks and potions, before expert mode came to be, and if they did, it was just ironskin and regen, mostly. So using a wing slot flask would be sort of expensive, but you could still just stock up on the base potion.
Believe it or not some people put actual work into getting some materials for furniture instead of lazily modding it.

Back
Top Bottom