Weapons & Equip Wings: A Major Rebalance

Yvori

Terrarian
Okay, okay, before you say anything, yes, there have been threads about this before.
I don't intend to necro any of those, and will instead be offering my own version of the idea, with detailed descriptions of the stat changes to each set of wings.

So, wings, we all love 'em... Well, except those of you who like that glorified bumper car masquerading as a UFO. *Ahem* But there's a major issue with their current implementation. The tiers... Or, well, I wouldn't go so far as to call whatever the heck this is tiers.
You see, if we go by traditional tiers, being power, the setup make no sense at all, as the requirements for each set are all over the place, and with drastic differences in power arbitrarily thrown around. Let's group them based on the requirements to obtain them and see how strange it is currently:

EARLY HARDMODE:

Angel Wings
20 Souls of Flight
10 Feathers
25 Souls of Light
Flight time:
1.67 Seconds
Flight height:
53 Tiles
Horizontal Flight Speed Bonus:
108%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Farm Wyverns and Hallow Enemies. Can be a bit tedious when you first start Hardmode.

Demon Wings
20 Souls of Flight
10 Feathers
25 Souls of Night
Flight time:
1.67 Seconds
Flight height:
53 Tiles
108%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Farm Wyverns and Corruption/Crimson Enemies. Can be a bit tedious when you first start Hardmode.

Fin Wings
1.43% chance per day from Angler in Hardmode, after 10th quest.
Flight time:
1.67 Seconds
Flight height:
53 Tiles
0%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Low chance from getting it from the Angler, and only once per day. Pure luck based, but arguably the easiest to get if you're lucky.
Can take a long time doing the quests, though.

Bee Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Tattered Bee Wing*
*0.67% drop from Moss Hornets in Underground Jungle
Flight time:
2.17 Seconds
Flight height:
67 Tiles
125%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Requires farming in the Hardmode Jungle. Can be somewhat difficult at this stage in the game, depending on class and armor tier.

Butterfly Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Butterfly Dust*
*50% drop from Moth** in Underground Jungle
**Rare spawn
Flight time:
2.17 Seconds
Flight height:
67 Tiles
125%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Requires farming a very rare enemy in the Hardmode Jungle. Depending on your luck, may be quicker than Bee Wings or may take bloody ages.
Same stats. Doesn't matter.

Fairy Wings
20 Souls of Flight
100 Pixie Dust
Flight time:
2.17 Seconds
Flight height:
67 Tiles
125%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Pixies are very easy to kill. It's just the time investment to doing so that's annoying. Probably the first "easily" enemy-farmable wings in Hardmode.

Harpy Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Giant Harpy Feather*
*0.5% drop from Harpies
Flight time:
2.33 Seconds
Flight height:
72 Tiles
133%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Extremely rare drop. Also have to deal with occasioal Wyverns. At least you'll get lots of Souls of Flight.

Leaf Wings
Witch Doctor for 1 Platinum in Jungle Biome at night during Hardmode
Flight time:
2.67 Seconds
Flight height:
81 Tiles
125%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
If you can farm money you can get these the moment Hardmode starts. A brilliant start, considering it's the same as the Frozen Wings in all but Horizontal Speed.
Balance? What balance??

Frozen Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Ice Feather*
*33.3% drop from Ice Golems in Snow Biome during Rain
Flight time:
2.67 Seconds
Flight height:
81 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
While Ice Golems are nothing to scoff at when you first start Hardmode, they are by no means unkillable.
The best wings you can get pre-mech-boss. Also surprisingly easy to aquire.
BALANCE?! WHAT BALANCE??!!

MECH BOSS KILL REQUIRED:

Jetpack
Steampunker for 40 Gold. Mech Boss kill required
Flight time:
1.92 Seconds
Flight height:
60 Tiles
117%
Misc:
Fast ascent with UP key.
Opinion:
You need to kill a Mech Boss for this yet it's worse than the Leaf and Frozen Wings?
At least it's "easy" to aquire, although by now you might as well have better wings.
Fast upward movement... That barely comes in handy. Not really worth the loss in other stats.

Flame Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Fire Feather*
*1.33% drop from Red Devils** in Underworld
**Mech boss kill required
Flight time:
2.67 Seconds
Flight height:
81 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Rare drop from a relatively rare enemy post-mech-kill and...
Oh, hey, they're LITERALLY the same as the Frozen Wings, which are FAR faster and easier to aquire.

SOLAR ECLIPSE REQUIRED:

Bat Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Broken Bat Wing*
*2.5% drop from Vampires during Solar Eclipse**
**5% chance of occuring each day. Mech Boss kill required.
Flight time:
2.33 Seconds
Flight height:
72 Tiles
0%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
You have to happen to have a Solar Eclipse, and happen to get the drop.
Perhaps a tad annoying but by now you should have Frozen Wings, or Leaf Wings, or Flame Wings, or...
Basically anything better. 0% Horizontal Flight Speed Bonus? WHY?

PLANTERA KILL REQUIRED:

Hoverboard
20 Souls of Flight
18 Shroomite Bars*^
*108 Chlorophyte Ore
^Requires Autohammer, and therefore Plantera kill
Flight time:
2.83 Seconds
Flight height:
86 Tiles
108%
Misc:
Horizontal hovering with DOWN and JUMP keys pressed.
Horizontal Speed Boost becomes 233% while hovering.
Opinion:
Very easy to get Post-Plantera. Arguably one of the more useful wings... Also not technically wings, per say.
Horizontal Flight Speed isn't great, but the hover mode makes up for it with super speed.

Bone Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Bone Feather*
*0.22% drop from Armored Bones** variants
**Requires Plantera kill
Flight time:
2.33 Seconds
Flight height:
72 Tiles
133%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Requires raiding the Post-Plantera Dungeon and getting a super-rare drop...
And... Frozen Wings... Are still better...???!??!?!!?!

Spectre Wings
20 Souls of Flight
10 Spectre Bar*
*Made with Ectoplasm and Chlorophyte**
**120 Chlorophyte Ore and 5 Ectoplasm^ needed
^1-2 Drop from Dungeon Spirits^^ in Post-Plantera Dungeon
^^6.67% chance of spawning from every enemy with over 100 Health killed in the Post-Plantera Dungeon
Flight time:
2.67 Seconds
Flight height:
81 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Requires farming Chlorophyte AND Ectoplasm, thereby making it a bit of a step up from the Hoverboard. It... Has lower stats, mostly.
Wait. Wait... These are... FROZEN WING STATS AGAIN!! ARGHH!!! Post Plantera this time??!! At least it's better than the Bone Wings?

Mothron Wings
5% drop from Mothron*
*Solar Eclipse Miniboss**
**Requires Plantera kill to drop
Flight time:
2.67 Seconds
Flight height:
81 Tiles
0%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Mothrons are darn annoying to kill, and these are rare drops from them already. Add to that the need to kill Plantera first, and these must be some really... epic...
Frozen Wing Stats.
Actually, Frozen Wings Stats with the terrible crippled Horizontal Speed Bonus of the Bat Wings.
It's a big ball of "WHY?" Seriously, these should be epic. They're instead a rehash of what we've already seen umpteen times AND in fact technically WORSE!
Who is in charge of this game's balance? I would like a Terraria Wing Balance Designer Voodoo Doll... It's for a friend.

EXPERT MODE BOSS KILL REQUIRED:

Devs' Wings
5% chance from Expert Hardmode Treasure Bags*
*Requires Mech Boss or higher kill in Expert Mode
Flight times:
2.5 Seconds
Flight heights:
77 Tiles
Horizontal Flight Speed Bonuses:
133%
Misc:
Multiple sets. Placed together due to all having the same method of aquirement and stats.
3 sets have special abilities similar to the Hoverboard.
Opinion:
Having not played Expert Mode (I'm really quite bad at the game, so I don't even want to TRY that just yet, much less alone) I can't judge these much...
Although they're clearly still worse than Frozen Wings, which you can STILL get sooner.

GOLEM KILL REQUIRED:

Beetle Wings
20 Souls of Flight
8 Beetle Husk*
*4-8 drop from Golem**
**Requires between 1 and 2 Golem kills
Flight time:
2.67 Seconds
Flight height:
81 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
There's a rehash of Frozen Wings for every tier! Did they copy/paste the stats and forget to change them or what?
This is getting ridiculous... Wait, no this passed ridiculous 10 exits ago and now is going full speed ahead to the edge of the world... Using Frozen Wings.
So for these you need to kill the Golem. The next proper boss after Plantera on the tier scale. Yet... Somehow... They are still equivalent to something you can get at the VERY start of Hardmode with a little inconvienience.

Steampunk Wings
Steampunker for 1 Platinum after Golem kill
Flight time:
3 Seconds
Flight height:
91 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
THANK CTHULU'S ASSORTED FLOATING DISEMBODIED ORGANS! SOMETHING THAT ISN'T FROZEN WINGS!
So this requires the Golem being killed exactly once, and costs the same decent sum as the Leaf Wings...? Seriously? Well, whatever. They're good. They're logical for their tier. They make Beetle Wings completely pointless?

PUMPKIN MOON REQUIRED:

Spooky Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Spooky Twig*
*2-20% drop from Mourning Wood during Pumpkin Moon Event**
**Requires Plantera kill and being able to survive the Pumpkin Moon until Mourning Woods appear
Flight time:
3 Seconds
Flight height:
91 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Considering Mourning Wood are... not exactly HARD, per say, to farm (Oh gods, PUN NOT INTENDED! ABORT PUN!) this is fine... Although they're the same as the Steampunk Wings... I guess it's Money VS. Farming.

Tattered Fairy Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Black Fairy Dust*
*1.79-14.29% drop from Pumpking during Pumpkin Moon Event**
**Requires Plantera kill and being able to survive the Pumpkin Moon until Pumpkings appear
Flight time:
3 Seconds
Flight height:
91 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
These are literally a slightly more difficult to get version of the Spooky Wings. Moving on...

FROST MOON REQUIRED:

Festive Wings
1.11% - 1.67% drop from Everscream during Frost Moon Event*
*Requires Plantera kill and being able to survive the Frost Moon until Everscreams appear
Flight time:
2.83 Seconds
Flight height:
86 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Opinion:
Why ON EARTH are these WEAKER than the Pumpkin Moons' Wings??? The Frost Moon is supposed to be AFTER it... right???

FISHRON KILL REQUIRED:

Fishron Wings
6.67% drop from Duke Fishron*
*Requires Hardmode and being able to kill Duke Fishron
Flight time:
3 Seconds
Flight height:
143 Tiles
167%
Misc:
Fast movement in liquid.
50% more ascent speed.
Faster acceleration.
Opinion:
I consider Fishron to be an absolute pain to kill. In fact, I don't think I've ever successfully killed him alone. (Told you I was bad at the game!) Since most people

I've seen have used Pumpkin and Frost Moon equipment, it makes sense that these are better th--...
143 tiles? That can't be right... Apparently it is though. Huh. Quite the sudden boost, especially for a completely optional boss.

MOON LORD KILL REQUIRED:
Stardust Wings
10 Luminite Bars
14 Stardust Fragments
Flight time:
2.73 Seconds
Flight height:
110 Tiles
83%
Misc:
Horizontal hovering with DOWN and JUMP
Slightly faster acceleration
HFSB boosted to 150% when hovering
x2 duration except when hovering
Opinion:
Endgame. Kind of lame compared to Fishron but I don't know if that takes into account the x2 duration or not.

Vortex Booster
10 Luminite Bars
14 Vortex Fragments
Flight time:
2.67 Seconds
Flight height:
106 Tiles
117%
Misc:
HFSB boosted to 300% when hovering
Opinion:
Endgame. Not much to say on the matter, I guess?

Nebula Mantle
10 Luminite Bars
14 Nebula Fragments
Flight time:
3 Seconds
Flight height:
165 Tiles
0%
Misc:
50% extra max ascent speed
Faster acceleration
Opinion:
Endgame. Another 0% HFSB... These seem incredibly lame compared to the other Endgame wings. Height is nice, I guess, but Fishron is still better overall.
Why would anyone pick these over the Solar Wings, which are equal or better in all stats?

Solar Wings
10 Luminite Bars
14 Solar Fragments
Flight time:
3 Seconds
Flight height:
167 Tiles
200%
Misc:
Faster acceleration
Opinion:
Endgame. Asides from the Vortex Booster's 300% Hover Speed, these are unequivocally best.

Information taken from terraria.wiki.gg

So, now that we've seen the current, bizzare setup they have for wings, how would I do it?
Well, not changing how most of the wings are aquired, I would just vary the stats to make the wings fit their methods of aquiring better, or in the case of some wings in the same "tier" of sorts, change them to be similar but have differing stats for different playstyles so they don't all end up as glorified vanity items.

Early Harmode 1 Tier:

Angel Wings
12 Souls of Flight
10 Feathers
12 Souls of Light
Flight time:
1.6 Seconds
Flight height:
50 Tiles
90%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Stats lowered a bit to account for being very early Hardmode wings. These are there for a starting point - not brilliant, just sort of... there.
Changed the requirements a bit too, to keep these as the "early" wings. Perhaps an unnessessary change, but I never bothered with these before and I doubt many others do because farming souls in the beginning is tough.

Demon Wings
12 Souls of Flight
10 Feathers
12 Souls of Night
Flight time:
1.6 Seconds
Flight height:
50 Tiles
90%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Stats lowered a bit to account for being very early Hardmode wings. These are there for a starting point - not brilliant, just sort of... there.
Changed the requirements a bit too, to keep these as the "early" wings. Perhaps an unnessessary change, but I never bothered with these before and I doubt many others do because farming souls in the beginning is tough.

Leaf Wings
Witch Doctor for 1 Platinum in Jungle Biome at night during Hardmode
Flight time:
1.6 Seconds
Flight height:
55 Tiles
105%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Moved to just before Fin Wings, and stats changed to make it's early aquisition more sensible. Since the Fin Wings are luck based and the Angel/Demon Wings are work based, this is the "I'm going to buy success with a LOT of money" way. Think of it as commentary on Pay-To-Win or something. Though since the Fins are still a lucky find, they're a bit better.

Fin Wings
1.43% chance per day from Angler in Hardmode, after 10th quest.
Flight time:
1.7 Seconds
Flight height:
55 Tiles
110%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Stats increased a bit. Just a small improvment over the Angel/Demon wings so if you happen to get them you can feel like you've gotten lucky.
Horizontal Flight Speed Bonus in particular has increased to something actually useful.

Early Hardmode 2 Tier:

Fairy Wings
20 Souls of Flight
100 Pixie Dust
Flight time:
2.1 Seconds
Flight height:
67 Tiles
120%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Moved to just after Fin Wings, as these are just as easy to get. Since they take so long to get, however, even with a decent farm, they are the first in the "next stage up" wings.

Frozen Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Ice Feather*
*16.65% drop from Ice Golems in Snow Biome during Rain
Flight time:
2 Seconds
Flight height:
70 Tiles
110%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Moved to just before Bee Wings. Sorry, but considering the ease with how these are aquired, they needed to be nerfed into oblivion.
A bit of a sidegrade to Fairy Wings in most areas, since they're STILL faster to get if you happen to have a lot of rain (and it rains A LOT)
Also changed the droprate of the Ice Feather to half it's current droprate, because that's way too easy to get.

Bee Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Tattered Bee Wing*
*0.67% drop from Moss Hornets in Underground Jungle
Flight time:
2.1 Seconds
Flight height:
65 Tiles
140%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Stats increased slightly, asides from Flight Time which has been rebalanced with the other wings' changes in mind.
HFSB was increased a lot since Bees are fast, I guess. First of the more specialized wings.

Butterfly Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Butterfly Dust*
*50% drop from Moth** in Underground Jungle
**Rare spawn
Flight time:
2.3 Seconds
Flight height:
72 Tiles
105%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
So here we see the second specialized set. Slower than the more common Bee Wings, and in fact many of the earlier wings, but slightly longer flight time and plenty more tiles.

Harpy Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Giant Harpy Feather*
*0.5% drop from Harpies
Flight time:
2.5 Seconds
Flight height:
75 Tiles
130%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
A significant increase over the others of the "Early Hardmode 2" (Butterfly/Bee/Fairy/Frozen) Tier because of the rarity. Should you be lucky enough to survive the tactical Wyvern strikes and the Harpy onslaught for long enough to happen across one of these, you should feel you've gotten a super-rare awesome drop.
These are now the de facto best before you kill a Mech Boss.

Post-Mech Tier:

Jetpack
Steampunker for 40 Gold. Mech Boss kill required
Flight time:
1.9 Seconds
Flight height:
85 Tiles
100%
Misc:
Fast ascent with UP key.
Info:
What's this? Flight time and HFSB have been tanked and Flight Height increased? Well, this is a jetpack, hence the name. It's meant more for upwards movement, hence the special ability, so I compensated by making it specialized for upward movement... Still not terribly useful, but it makes sense now I guess? Harpy Wings are still the best overall at this point.

Flame Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Fire Feather*
*5% drop from Red Devils** in Underworld
**Mech boss kill required
Flight time:
2.67 Seconds
Flight height:
80 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Fire Feather droprate increased, because currently it's a bit low. These are now the next step up from Harpy Wings, although not by enough to warrant a NESSESSARY upgrade. Only stat I changed is Flight Height, because I like rounded numbers and 81 is weird.

Bat Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Broken Bat Wing*
*2.5% drop from Vampires during Solar Eclipse**
**5% chance of occuring each day. Mech Boss kill required.
Flight time:
2.7 Seconds
Flight height:
80 Tiles
160%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
These are now a slight upgrade from the Flame Wings, for if you happen to get this from a Solar Eclipse you happen to have happen. Happen.
It also happens HFSB is now not nothing. Hooray!

Post-Plantera Tier:

Hoverboard
20 Souls of Flight
18 Shroomite Bars*^
*108 Chlorophyte Ore
^Requires Autohammer, and therefore Plantera kill
Flight time:
2.7 Seconds
Flight height:
70 Tiles
180%
Misc:
Horizontal hovering with DOWN and JUMP keys pressed.
Horizontal Speed Boost becomes 240% while hovering.
Info:
Changed some things around a bit. These are still the first post-Plantera wings, except now more geared towards their Horizontal capacity. Speciality!
Coincidentally great for moving to and from the Dungeon to get the other wings in this tier...

Bone Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Bone Feather*
*0.5% drop from Armored Bones** variants
**Requires Plantera kill
Flight time:
3.2 Seconds
Flight height:
85 Tiles
150%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
More geared toward Flight Time, despite the fact that these shouldn't be capable of flight in the first place... But whatever, we have floating eyeballs and undead merchants. Since the drop is so rare, I feel the significant boost in air-time is sensible.
Droprate of the Bone Feather increased a bit since... Eh, whatever, you'd probably get one anyway farming the Dungeon, so more drops never hurt.

Spectre Wings
20 Souls of Flight
10 Spectre Bar*
*Made with Ectoplasm and Chlorophyte**
**120 Chlorophyte Ore and 5 Ectoplasm^ needed
^1-2 Drop from Dungeon Spirits^^ in Post-Plantera Dungeon
^^6.67% chance of spawning from every enemy with over 100 Health killed in the Post-Plantera Dungeon
Flight time:
2.8 Seconds
Flight height:
85 Tiles
160%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
The "all around" wings for this tier. Not much to say here.

Mothron Wings
5% drop from Mothron*
*Solar Eclipse Miniboss**
**Requires Plantera kill to drop
Flight time:
3.2 Seconds
Flight height:
90 Tiles
200%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Oh yes, now THIS is more like it! Since they're a rare drop and from a Miniboss who only spawns a few times during a semi-rare event, they should be worth it!
They're basically all the other wings in the "Post-Plantera" Tier COMBINED!... Minus the horizontal hovering. You've got a board for that.

(Expert Mode) Dev Item Tier:

Devs' Wings
5% chance from Expert Hardmode Treasure Bags*
*Requires Mech Boss or higher kill in Expert Mode
Flight times:
3 Seconds
Flight heights:
85 Tiles
Horizontal Flight Speed Bonuses:
175%
Misc:
Multiple sets. Placed together due to all having the same method of aquirement and stats.
3 sets have special abilities similar to the Hoverboard.
Info:
Better than most of the stuff in the "Post-Plantera" Tier. You're playing Expert Mode and probably farmed a lot of The Destroyer for this. You deserve good wings!... And bonus cool vanity armor!

Post-Golem Tier:

Beetle Wings
20 Souls of Flight
8 Beetle Husk*
*4-8 drop from Golem**
**Requires between 1 and 2 Golem kills
Flight time:
3 Seconds
Flight height:
87 Tiles
185%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Not quite Mothron Wings, but even with Solar Tablets it'd probably be quicker to killm the Golem than farm Mothrons. These are also basically the equivalent to the "Dev Wing" Tier for Non-Expert, but a bit better to encourage even them to upgrade.

Steampunk Wings
Steampunker for 2 Platinum after Golem kill
Flight time:
3.2 Seconds
Flight height:
90 Tiles
165%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
HFSB isn't quite as good as the Beetle Wings, but you get Mothron Flight Time and Height. A good option if you prefer the height/time that Mothron offers but don't want to farm Eclipses. Doubled price because by now you should have plenty of spending money unless you've spent it all on reforging, in which case, try for Mothron or Beetle.

Pumpkin Moon Tier:

Spooky Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Spooky Twig*
*2-20% drop from Mourning Wood during Pumpkin Moon Event**
**Requires Plantera kill and being able to survive the Pumpkin Moon until Mourning Woods appear
Flight time:
3 Seconds
Flight height:
95 Tiles
175%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
I wasn't quite sure what to do with these, since the Pumpkin Moon can be done any time after Plantera. Decided to make them a bit of a sidegrade from the Steampunk wings, since... Uh... Well it's sort of between Pumpkin Moon and Golem, so these are the alternative, I guess.

Tattered Fairy Wings
20 Souls of Flight
1 Black Fairy Dust*
*1.79-14.29% drop from Pumpking during Pumpkin Moon Event**
**Requires Plantera kill and being able to survive the Pumpkin Moon until Pumpkings appear
Flight time:
3.2 Seconds
Flight height:
100 Tiles
180%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
So these should be just a biiit better than the Spooky Wings. They are now.

Frost Moon Tier:

Festive Wings
1.11% - 1.67% drop from Everscream during Frost Moon Event*
*Requires Plantera kill and being able to survive the Frost Moon until Everscreams appear
Flight time:
3.3 Seconds
Flight height:
120 Tiles
190%
Misc:
N/A
Info:
Ho ho ho. Merry whatever-you-celebrate, these are now actually better than the Pumpkin-Moon things.

Post-Fishron Tier:

Fishron Wings
6.67% drop from Duke Fishron*
*Requires Hardmode and being able to kill Duke Fishron
Flight time:
3.3 Seconds
Flight height:
140 Tiles
200%
Misc:
Fast movement in liquid.
50% more ascent speed.
Faster acceleration.
Info:
Still the best of the best pre-Endgame wings. I changed very little, and asides from 3 tiles of Flight Height, I've upgraded them. Why? They're rare, and Fishron is difficult to farm. Might as well make them worth it even more!

Endgame Tier:

Stardust Wings
10 Luminite Bars
14 Stardust Fragments
Flight time:
2.8 Seconds
Flight height:
120 Tiles
190%
Misc:
Horizontal hovering when holding JUMP and DOWN
HFSB boosted to 230% when hovering
Info:
Gave it a general upgrade, especially in the speed department. Summoners, having the weakest armor, need to be able to dodge well.

Vortex Booster
10 Luminite Bars
14 Vortex Fragments
Flight time:
2.6 Seconds
Flight height:
100 Tiles
200%
Misc:
HFSB boosted to 300% when hovering
Info:
These are meant for zooming around the horizontal plane and shooting things, and so I specialized them even more for that. A bit lower Flight Time to compensate for the massive speed when hovering. Remember, when not hovering, time is technically 5.2 seconds.

Nebula Mantle
10 Luminite Bars
14 Nebula Fragments
Flight time:
3.4 Seconds
Flight height:
165 Tiles
150%
Misc:
Faster acceleration
Info:
Gave them some HFSB, but kept it lower for more precise movements and aiming. Flight time upped a bit.

Solar Wings
10 Luminite Bars
14 Solar Fragments
Flight time:
4 Seconds
Flight height:
150 Tiles
200%
Misc:
Faster acceleration
Info:
Nerfed the height a little. Melee really doesn't need to go way out of range like that. Probably still the most balanced of the Endgame wings, depending on your
definition of balance at the Endgame.

So that's really it. Just changing the stats around on the wings, and a few of the droprates for items needed to craft some.
I feel this would help diversify the wings in the game a lot, and really make choosing your next wings more interesting than "I'll go with the really good ones I can get easily, early, and then not upgrade until the super-wings." Instead, much like the endgame wings, you'll be able to choose a specialized area to go with in some circumstances, or just pick whatever seems most balanced if you want a Wing Of All Trades.

As per usual with suggestions, if you think any of these should be moved up or down in the tiers, or have their stats or specializations changed, please, comment below and tell me what and why, and I'll consider adding it as an addendum or changing the post!

I have found it incredibly strange that my Frozen Wings continue to outclass everything I find in Early Hardmode.

I was trying to get Frost Cores and snagged a Frost Feather. Crafted the Wings, and now I just put different ones in the Vanity slot when I think they look cooler.
In fact, I got Crowno's set from a treasure bag. I was super excited for the cool developer wings - surely these must be better than my Frost Wings.

Nope.

I support your idea!

I have found it incredibly strange that my Frozen Wings continue to outclass everything I find in Early Hardmode.

I was trying to get Frost Cores and snagged a Frost Feather. Crafted the Wings, and now I just put different ones in the Vanity slot when I think they look cooler.
In fact, I got Crowno's set from a treasure bag. I was super excited for the cool developer wings - surely these must be better than my Frost Wings.

Nope.

I support your idea!
Ah, thank you for the support! I honestly thought this idea was long-buried, since it's had no attention for a year.
I'm still disappointed the Wings still haven't been balanced, and in my current playthrough I went straight from Fin to Flame (thanks to a rare drop) and I'm now set for wings until Fishron, basically. It's sad that they went to the effort to sprite and add all these in, then gave most of them the same (or worse) stats until the end.

Ah, thank you for the support! I honestly thought this idea was long-buried, since it's had no attention for a year.
I'm still disappointed the Wings still haven't been balanced, and in my current playthrough I went straight from Fin to Flame (thanks to a rare drop) and I'm now set for wings until Fishron, basically. It's sad that they went to the effort to sprite and add all these in, then gave most of them the same (or worse) stats until the end.
I might try to collect all the wings just for the sake of it. They are so beautifully designed, but have no progression system.

I agree some wings should be rebalanced to be more useful, but the stats You proposed are just ridiculous. None of the endgame wings need a nerf; in fact, they need a buff and some bugfixing. Instead of nerfing Solar Wings and Vortex Booster to match them with Stardust and Nebula wings, it the latter two that should get special buffs in order to become better choices.
My god, I'm so tired of all the people proposing negative balancing. It makes the game 100% less fun.

I'm not negative balancing, I'm trying to make the wings unique by specializing them for different stats.
Like, really, no need to be so aggressive. I clearly said:
"As per usual with suggestions, if you think any of these should be moved up or down in the tiers, or have their stats or specializations changed, please, comment below and tell me what and why, and I'll consider adding it as an addendum or changing the post!"
and I haven't used the endgame wings, so yeah. I'll take that into consideration, but please try to be a tad less abrasive about it next time.

Back
Top Bottom