NPCs & Enemies Winston And Wenston: A Remastered Traveling Merchant

To yee or not to yee

• Yee

• Not Yee

• Yee but change _

• Split the names

• Have them be named Winston and Wenston

Results are only viewable after voting.
We've all been there. You never get that one traveling merchant item because there are so many items you don't want that clog up his space. This hopes to fix that in style.
By the way, the old Traveling Merchant is now removed

Winston is much like the old Traveling Merchant. He comes under the same conditions, at the same rate. He takes the functional half of the items.
Sake
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Silver_Coin.png

Pho
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Silver_Coin.png

Pad Thai
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Silver_Coin.png

Ultrabright Torch
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Silver_Coin.png

Ammo Box
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Magic Hat
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Gypsy Robe
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Gi
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Celestial Magnet
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

DPS Meter
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Lifeform Analyzer
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Stopwatch
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Paint Sprayer
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Brick Layer
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Portable Cement Mixer
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Extendo Grip
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Presserator
Desktop_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Black Counterweight
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Yellow Counterweight
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Sitting Duck's Fishing Pole
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Katana
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Code 1
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Revolver
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Gatligator
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Code 2
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Gold_Coin.png
1.5%
Pulse Bow
Desktop_only.png
Console_only.png
Old-Gen_Console_only.png
Mobile_only.png
Gold_Coin.png

Obviously they follow the same boss requirments
Copied lines:
"Combination hookah and coffee maker! Also makes julienne fries!"
"A thrift shop? No, I am only selling the highest quality items on the market."
"I don't refund for "buyer's remorse..." Or for any other reason, really."
"If you're looking for junk, then you've come to the wrong place"
"I sell wares from places that might not even exist!"
"Hmm, you look like you could use an angel statue! They slice, dice, and make everything nice!"
"Come and have a look! One pound fish! Very very good! One pound fish!"
"Buy now, and get free shipping!
You want two penny farthings? Make it one and we got a deal."

When Guide is present:

"Meet me behind [Name of Guide]'s house in about three hours, I think I have something you will find very appealing."
When Clothier is present:

"I only sell what I can get. [Name of Clothier] keeps hounding me for exotic clothing."
When Merchant is present:

• "That [Name of Merchant], he really has no appreciation for a really good deal."
During a Party
  • "Many say that parties give you the richest of memories. So buy something and make this memory rich!"
New Lines
"What good are decorations? Why not buy something worth your while?"
"Blue is a useful color. And this is a useful stock"
When Wenston Is Present
"If you're confused, I'm the one you should be buying from"
Winston drops this
Peddler%27s_Hat.png
hat upon death, now called the Piddlers hat.
Wenston loves his job, but he's much more of an optimist than Winston. He wears a version of the Traveling merchant outfit with splotches of color all over it
Copied Quotes

Combination hookah and coffee maker! Also makes julienne fries!"
"A thrift shop? No, I am only selling the highest quality items on the market."
"I don't refund for "buyer's remorse..." Or for any other reason, really."
"If you're looking for junk, you've come to the wrong place."
"I sell wares from places that might not even exist!"
"Hmm, you look like you could use an Angel Statue! They slice, and dice, and make everything nice!"
"Come and have a look! One pound fish! Very very good! One pound fish!"
"Buy now, and get free shipping!"
"You want two penny farthings!? Make it one and we have a deal."

When Guide is present:

"Meet me behind [Name of Guide]'s house in about three hours, I think I have something you will find very appealing."
When Clothier is present:

"I only sell what I can get. [Name of Clothier] keeps hounding me for exotic clothing."

When Merchant is present:

"That [Name of Merchant], he really has no appreciation for a really good deal."
During a Party

"Many say that parties give you the richest of memories. So buy something and make this memory rich!"
New Quotes
"Weapons are always outdone, but decoration never loses its value! Buy some today!"
"All colors are pretty colors. Just like my stock!"
When Winston is Present
"I can't believe Winston and I came to the same town!"
Upon death, he drops 3 splotch dye, which puts random explosions of color on the item

So that's Winston and Wenston, the two brothers that stayed close but lived such different lives. What do you think?

Last edited:
I mean, I like the Travelling Merchant being separated, but here's the big problem. The Travelling Merchant is a weird mix of what I think it should be: items from faraway cultures, and then all sorts of weird gadgets and yoyo stuff they couldn't find other places to put even though they added a place (Skeleton merchant). Oh, and the Pulse Bow which should really be made with Shroomite anyway because post-Plantera armor tiers need weapons to go with them. And the inventory sizes are also quite big in and of themselves. So I would have a bunch of smaller merchants with different things added to them. For example:
  • Current Travelling Merchant sells animal skins and high-end vanity/furniture, the cool gadgets and yoyo stuff, and team based blocks.
  • The Sensei starts arriving and departing after the defeat of King Slime. Sells Dynasty Wood, Katana, Gi and a bunch of other tiered Japanese weapons.
  • The Viking starts arriving and departing after Wall of Flesh's defeat. Sells Viking, Nordic and European-themed weapons with various tiers.
  • The Pirate becomes a travelling merchant because let's face it, there's no reason to keep him in your town. Too little stuff. Sells a bunch of new stuff too.
  • The Conquistador spawns in post-Golem and sells high-level equipment themed after Aztec weapons.
After all 5 have been unlocked, you have a 100% chance of a Travelling Merchant arriving at dawn. But no more than one can spawn a day.

Well i have a question

1.So they will sell the all the items ?(ALL OF THEM ?)
2.So Wenston is likely a dryad and a furniture guy..and Winston is likely a blacksmith ?
3.I got no question left..

Well i have a question

1.So they will sell the all the items ?(ALL OF THEM ?)
2.So Wenston is likely a dryad and a furniture guy..and Winston is likely a blacksmith ?
3.I got no question left..
Winston has a focus on weapons and things that can be outclassed, but Wenston focuses on decoration. Together they split up the items the TM used to have way to many of.

What... The... Frik... This is the stupidest idea i have ever seen. Winston and Wenston has the same lines? THIS MAKES THE SAME PROBLEM AS THE TRAVELING MERCHANT! Im guessing they dont spawn together. There is such an easy way to fix the traveling merchant, but this isn't it

I think this is a pretty good idea, getting some items was a pain. I like how you've split the items.

@Sockmonkey367, there is no call to be rude like that. If you don't have anything constructive to say - something that may improve on the idea presented - then there is no reason to post at all.

Saying that "This is the stupidest idea i have ever seen" is disrespectful and not acceptable on this forum. Please don't do it again. Thanks.

Thanks Tunnel. Anyway Sock, I'm going to point out basic things that clear this up.
Im guessing they don't spawn together
Winston and Wenston has the same lined
If you read the quotes, you would see 3 new lines for each one, and one of which is only if they spawn together. That means they spawn separately, but they do not stop the spawn of eachother.
THIS MAKES THE SAME PROBLEM AS THE TRAVELING MERCHANT!
No. They spawn more often with stock split to prevent you not getting what you want, and you don't have to go back to the house to see if Winston has dynasty wood or something.
There is some easy way to fix the traveling merchant, but this isn't it
Being...

So, as all the gear is left to Winston, what would Wenston defend himself with? I suggest Winston have a sheathed Katana on his back and Wenston wears a Fez so people can differenciate both easier. (I know there's the color splats, but it would make it obvious what both are selling)

Alas, Splotch Dye and Paintball Gun makes a good Splatoon set up. Support!

Sorry, king, i will try not to even though it is because its the only one i dislike xD

As in response to Worfer: 1: for some reason like an idiot i thought that Wenston had a line about a weapon, though he kinda does, but its about an angel statue. 2: Lets say you have all items but 1 wenston item, and you got winston and never got wenston on that terrarian day. That would waste SOOO many hours. 3: I say Travelling Merchant stays, but always have all his items, if the conditions are met. If he cant fit them all in his inventory, he could bring something like a horse and you can interact with the horse and get the other items. Winston and Wenston COULD work, but maybe together with all items that you have the conditions for. He has 66 items, and a chest is 40, so he would have to do that, in this case. Or, do kinda the winwen (yes im gonna call winston and wenston that) but have them come together with win having weapons and wen having vanity

I suppose I forgot to mention a fighting method. Maybe he throws fancy dishes at them? (Like throwing knives with a bit more damage)
So, Winston uses a Revolver for pre-HM and a Pulse Bow for HM, while Wenston throws Fancy Dishes (Pardon, Monsieur Zombie, would you kindly fetch that dish?) for pre-HM, and for HM I suggest he throws miniature Companion Cubes as they're expensive and most players can only afford 5 Platinum in HM

This is a nice suggestion, but why do they have such similar names? 'Wenston' isn't even a name.

I suggest they have random names, take half of the original TM's names and give them to Winston, take the others and give them to Wenston.

Back
Top Bottom