WIP Buff Potion Tier List

Crate potions in C... I actually agree with, Crates really arent as rewarding as one would think.
Sailfish boots for Amphibian Boots, Journeyman/Master baits, alternate ores for if Titanium didn't generate or something, Enchanted Sundial, general Pre-Hardmode loots as an alternative to dying in caves over and over. Crates are really useful actually.

Builder Potion is still ranked way too low by the way. Very easy to obtain, and building NPC houses & hellbridges is the opposite of "niche".

Sailfish boots for Amphibian Boots, Journeyman/Master baits, alternate ores for if Titanium didn't generate or something, Enchanted Sundial, general Pre-Hardmode loots as an alternative to dying in caves over and over. Crates are really useful actually.

Builder Potion is still ranked way too low by the way. Very easy to obtain, and building NPC houses & hellbridges is the opposite of "niche".
I am not putting building potion in B tier: Hear me out.
NPC houses are not important. in fact i use the normal building height to mark how high i put my roofs. NPC Houses take 5 seconds to build. you dont need the builder potion. I made this guide for the sole purpose of saying which potions are useful in situations(and to possibly get people to stop using the titan potion).
Builder potion is not important, hell, even useful for npc houses. now hell bridges, maybe. The increased build speed might make it less tedious. My point is The builder potion is not on par with the usefulness of the Battle potion.

NPC houses are not important...
I'm noticing a LOT of adventurer bias in this forum. I won't debate Builder Potion's tier but, NPC Housing NOT being important, just isn't true at all. In fact, I just got finished about a week ago (🎵🎵), showcasing how early Mage was able to obtain a complete kit just Base Building, with some light exploration mixed in.
20210422062242_1b.jpg

In addition to this, NPC Happiness & buying/ selling, can now have a rather significant effect on the overall game if you choose to engage in it. You don't have to & no one is saying it's essential, but if you're complaining about money & reforging costs, but NOT using the Township Systems in place, well... 😏🤷‍♂️

...& don't get me started on just how useful Pylons are, I kinda feel like fast-travel, in any game, normally speaks for itself.

I'm noticing a LOT of adventurer bias in this forum. I won't debate Builder Potion's tier but, NPC Housing NOT being important, just isn't true at all. In fact, I just got finished about a week ago (🎵🎵), showcasing how early Mage was able to obtain a complete kit just Base Building, with some light exploration.
View attachment 320499

In addition to this, NPC Happiness & buying/ selling, can now have a rather significant effect on the overall game if you choose to engage in it. You don't have to & no one is saying it's essential, but if your complaining about money & reforging, but NOT using it, well... 😏🤷‍♂️

...& don't get me started on just how useful Pylons are, I kinda feel like fast-travel, in any game, normally speaks for itself.
okay, i should have worded that better
i never meant that npc housing wasn't important. I meant big fancy housing for each and every NPC was not important.

okay, i should have worded that better
i never meant that npc housing wasn't important. I meant big fancy housing for each and every NPC was not important.
Well, I'll just add this much... knowing the Meta for "tile placement" is it's own separate game, so "fancy" can mean a LOT of things. I hear a good number of Terrarias complain about grinding, who don't seem to understand how tile placement works, or the day/ night cycles. But, fair enough, just figured I'd point this out.

On a side note, I suspect Builder Potions & Mining Potions should be the same tier then. If they aren't, then & only then would I disagree with how Builder Potion is being ranked.

My point is The builder potion is not on par with the usefulness of the Battle potion.
That sounds more of a issue with battle potion being too low, builder potion is certainly more useful than the calming potion. If you read one of my earlier posts I explained that calming was outclassed by... building a box.
So I'd say.
Battle potion: A
Builder: B
Calming: C

Also fix that builder potion's availabilty rating, anyone who cares about potions will have a herb farm and builder potions would effectively be free.

Edit: Now that I think about it C might be too generous for the calming potion...

Last edited:
That sounds more of a issue with battle potion being too low, builder potion is certainly more useful than the calming potion. If you read one of my earlier posts I explained that calming was outclassed by... building a box.
So I'd say.
Battle potion: A
Builder: B
Calming: C

Also fix that builder potion's availabilty rating, anyone who cares about potions will have a herb farm and builder potions would effectively be free.

Edit: Now that I think about it C might be too generous for the calming potion...
You know what? i changed my mind
Calming potions are an F.
1 use
damselfish take a while
peace candles and a box can overshadow
dont even decrease enemy spawn rates

Also the reason i put the builder potion availability thing so low was because i mixed up its recipe with the crate potion which has amber and thats why i put it low

Last edited:
NPC houses are not important. in fact i use the normal building height to mark how high i put my roofs. NPC Houses take 5 seconds to build. you dont need the builder potion. I made this guide for the sole purpose of saying which potions are useful in situations(and to possibly get people to stop using the titan potion).
Builder potion is not important, hell, even useful for npc houses. now hell bridges, maybe. The increased build speed might make it less tedious. My point is The builder potion is not on par with the usefulness of the Battle potion.
You don't need Battle potion for farm mobs.

You don't need the Ironskin & Regeneration potions to stay alive.

You don't need the Wrath & Rage potions to deal damage.

Yet we use them. Why? Because they increase the effectiveness of said actions. Builder Potion is no different, it increases the speed of which you can build NPC houses & hellbridges. If it takes you 5 seconds to build NPC houses, then with Builder Potion it would take you 2-3 seconds instead.

And really, "NPC houses are not important"? I don't see that logic. You need NPC houses to have.. NPCs. NPCs are a big part of the game and provides numerous major upgrades and utilities, even outside of Goblin Tinkerer.

You don't need Battle potion for farm mobs.

You don't need the Ironskin & Regeneration potions to stay alive.

You don't need the Wrath & Rage potions to deal damage.

Yet we use them. Why? Because they increase the effectiveness of said actions. Builder Potion is no different, it increases the speed of which you can build NPC houses & hellbridges. If it takes you 5 seconds to build NPC houses, then with Builder Potion it would take you 2-3 seconds instead.

And really, "NPC houses are not important"? I don't see that logic. You need NPC houses to have.. NPCs. NPCs are a big part of the game and provides numerous major upgrades and utilities, even outside of Goblin Tinkerer.
check above for how i worded that poorly
and my reasoning for the thing with the 5 seconds is that. i. am. not. going. to. drink. a. potion. that. lasts. 45. minutes. just. to. shave. 2. seconds. off. of. something. No one will.

Last edited:
check above for how i worded that poorly
and my reasoning for the thing with the 5 seconds is that. i. am. not. going. to. drink. a. potion. that. lasts. 45. minutes. just. to. shave. 2. seconds. off. of. something. No one will.
The 45 minute buff is so it works for longer builds, it doesn’t make a difference on shorter builds because it’s dirt cheap anyway. If you don’t need all 45 minutes, you don’t need to build for 45 minutes. It would be different if they actually required any effort to make, but since they are basically free anyway it doesn’t matter.

You know what? i changed my mind
Calming potions are an F.
1 use
damselfish take a while
peace candles and a box can overshadow
dont even decrease enemy spawn rates
"1 use"? Calming Potions are pretty general potions, and can be useful in any situation in which you don't want enemies to spawn.

Peace Candles and boxes don't overshadow Calming Potions. Boxes force you to stay in one place, which stops you from doing any mining for resources or fighting many bosses without dying. Peace Candles have limited range, and while you could fight certain bosses without leaving its range, many Hardmode bosses require a lot of movement and you'll need lots of them, and mining and gathering resources with one is annoying because you need to constantly pick it up and move it. Plus Peace Candles require Pink Torches, which are crafted from Pink Gel, and Pinkies are pretty rare. Because Calming Potions are consumables that give a buff, they'll always be active (until they run out that is) wherever you go.

Damselfish are pretty easy to get. Once you find a Sky Lake, you can get them really easily, unless you're using like a Wooden Fishing Pole with Grasshoppers or Monarch Butterflies or something.

I think that C tier for Calming Potions is good. You've got to be careful with giving things F tier. In my opinion most Potions are at least C tier or higher, since they're all pretty cheap and usually provide bonuses with no downsides. The only Potion that I'd say is F tier is Inferno Potion.

"1 use"? Calming Potions are pretty general potions, and can be useful in any situation in which you don't want enemies to spawn.

Peace Candles and boxes don't overshadow Calming Potions. Boxes force you to stay in one place, which stops you from doing any mining for resources or fighting many bosses without dying. Peace Candles have limited range, and while you could fight certain bosses without leaving its range, many Hardmode bosses require a lot of movement and you'll need lots of them, and mining and gathering resources with one is annoying because you need to constantly pick it up and move it. Plus Peace Candles require Pink Torches, which are crafted from Pink Gel, and Pinkies are pretty rare. Because Calming Potions are consumables that give a buff, they'll always be active (until they run out that is) wherever you go.

Damselfish are pretty easy to get. Once you find a Sky Lake, you can get them really easily, unless you're using like a Wooden Fishing Pole with Grasshoppers or Monarch Butterflies or something.
I agree, i have 7 damselfish rn on a world where i have only a reinforced rod and journeyman bait

I can't speak much for Calming Potions, but for as much as I hear Terrarians begging the Devs to turn off Enemy Spawns for Boss fights, you'd think a good number of them would invest into Calming Potions; even more-so, that it'd be ranked a lot higher if it pretty much does that already. 🤔🥤

The 45 minute buff is so it works for longer builds, it doesn’t make a difference on shorter builds because it’s dirt cheap anyway. If you don’t need all 45 minutes, you don’t need to build for 45 minutes. It would be different if they actually required any effort to make, but since they are basically free anyway it doesn’t matter.
Even if it was somewhat expensive, it's so good at its job that I'd still rank it highly. Building IS a big part of the game, and this makes building much less tedious. And also, I WOULD reckon most average players put at least SOME effort into their houses, and this potion lets those players get more done with that same amount of effort.

If you don't build and the effects of the potion do not help you because of the way you choose to play, I'm sorry to hear that, but your ranking is actually biased due to that. For example I don't use wings. I play a custom 1.4 mod that lets me stack Frog Legs and I use Balloons to move around instead. Would it be accurate to say that wings are bad since I don't need them and don't use them? Absolutely not. While Balloons may provide superior movement up to a certain point, many people do not use them, and so wings serve their purposes perfectly.

The same applies here. Some players do not build, and that's fine, but that doesn't mean they get to call builder potions bad, because there are a huge number of people out there who make great use of this potion. The effects of this item when viewed through the lens of building are incredible. 25% placement speed means 25% more stuff gets built in the same amount of time. +1 range means you can reach further away and spend less time moving through your build to place stuff. These bonuses are incredibly helpful to those who make use of them, and building IS a big part of this game.

Buff Potion Tier List

Buff Potions. They are vital for most things in Terraria. From boosting your chances to get a rare item, to possibly being the thing that helps you through the final boss fight, these potions are essential. However, they are expensive. most potions need an herb and a fish, while some just need an herb. This raises 2 questions. Are some potions worth the hustle to get them, and what scenarios are they good in?

First we need to know about what we will be grading the potions on.
**THIS IS SPECIFICALLY A BUFF POTION TIER LIST: NO FOOD, FLASKS OR RECOVERY ITEMS WILL BE RANKED**
Check this link for the specific potions that we will be ranking: Buff potions

Okay so we will grade these on 4 different criteria (Thanks @ChimeraWarden for help with this bit)
1. Versatility- how many different situations it can be used in
2. Availability- how easy it is to get
3. Use- How good is its job
4. Effectiveness- how good does it do its job
5. Duration- This wont effect the overall rating unless its a luck potion
These will be marked with #####
5 # is amazing and so on
Now that we have cleared that up, lets get into the tier list

To get S+ you would need 5 #s on everything except duration

View attachment 319981 Ammo Reservation Potion: C
Versatility:###
Availability: ###
Use: #####
Effectiveness: ####

This potion is Very useful for all Ranger class players during bosses, Especially later game with the best ammo being expensive. However, its not all that useful outside of bosses, plus being a little bit expensive. I would much rather be fishing for an arguably better potion (Summon potion)

View attachment 319983
Archery Potion: S
Versitality: #####
Availability: #####
Use: #####
Effectiveness: ####

Archery is good for The entire game. This potion is cheap, effective, and pretty useful for how easy it is to get. EASY S.

View attachment 319985 Battle Potion: B
Versitality: ##
Use: ####
Effectiveness: #####

This seems like it's the worst potion in the entire game. but its not. it is one of the best. it just is B because it isn't the most useful during all situations.

View attachment 320034 Builder Potion: C
Versitality: #
Use: ###
Effectiveness: ##

I can see this potion having one use to the average player that doesnt go all out with building, and thats for making a boss arena. this is extremely niche but it does have a use

View attachment 320036Calming potion: F

Versitality: #
Availability: #
Use: #
Effectiveness: #

Absolutely useless. a box made out of dirt outclasses it and takes 5 seconds instead of 5 minutes to catch a damselfish

View attachment 320282 Crate Potion: C

Versitality: ##
Availability: ###
Use:#####
Effectiveness: #

This potion is required in 1.4 for crafting something like the Terraspark Boots. My 2 1.4 worlds didnt have a lava charm, or water walking boots, or ice skates. Yet i still got the boots. How? with this. Now this doesnt make it that much easier, it still did a little bit. This is a potion with a 10/10 use with a 3/10 effectiveness rate
This is the end of the guide for now! it is a WIP. Will be finished soon!
I suggest two things- archery potion is a C tier, at best, because bows are useless later game, and many people do not play ranger. Also, building potion is completely useless.

Just saying this now, but im putting this project on hold for a while because i am about to lose control of my computer and i cant really access google sheets on my ipad now can i? I will be working on tests and putting it in numbers and then transcribing everything to google sheets.

Back
Top Bottom