tModLoader [WIP] DMode Mod

Do you like the mod's concept?

• Great! I want to test this right away!

• Yeah. Cool.

• I'm afraid of breaking the game...

• Not so good. Needs polishing.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Can you make amber keys permanent? Maybe use a shadow key, 10 gold keys, and an amber key to get a superior amber key? Having to collect 15 amber is not worth opening 200 destiny boxes once. You don't really get 15 amber from the chests and the enemies they dropped from. Even combining it with a temple key would be awesome if it meant never crafting it again. But, it should have very slow use time. Probably should be slower than a magic mirror.

Also, the world is leveling up way too fast for me. It might be some of my other mods, but im mid 70 fighting 150 and even with no shadow orbs enemies can one hit. It might be because I just started hard mode. but I have a solution to this. It might sound insane.

My solution would be to have statue enemies not count towards world level-up. I understand it might be difficult, but if you could get it to work, one could sit in a giant arena filled with statues and use that to level up, and at that point, it wouldn't really matter if the world leveled up too quickly.

This is just my opinion, but 2000 shadow orbs should make something. I have no idea what though.

Does this mod work with other mods?
It should work with most mods on single player.
[doublepost=1548847531,1548847274][/doublepost]
Can you make amber keys permanent? Maybe use a shadow key, 10 gold keys, and an amber key to get a superior amber key? Having to collect 15 amber is not worth opening 200 destiny boxes once. You don't really get 15 amber from the chests and the enemies they dropped from. Even combining it with a temple key would be awesome if it meant never crafting it again. But, it should have very slow use time. Probably should be slower than a magic mirror.

Also, the world is leveling up way too fast for me. It might be some of my other mods, but im mid 70 fighting 150 and even with no shadow orbs enemies can one hit. It might be because I just started hard mode. but I have a solution to this. It might sound insane.

My solution would be to have statue enemies not count towards world level-up. I understand it might be difficult, but if you could get it to work, one could sit in a giant arena filled with statues and use that to level up, and at that point, it wouldn't really matter if the world leveled up too quickly.

This is just my opinion, but 2000 shadow orbs should make something. I have no idea what though.

I know, the Amber Key It's a temporary solution and I'll improve it as much as I can in future versions. For now, I'm trying to solve some multiplayer bugs. About detecting if a enemy is spawned from a statue, I still need to do some research.

EDIT [1]: Found a hook that allows me to easily determinate if a certain npc was spawned from a statue.

Last edited:
I have a problem. The main post says you can use the D-Heart to reset your levels in an mode world, but I'm in an expert mode world, and I can't figure out how to reset, even though I'm at the level cap of 8.

I have a problem. The main post says you can use the D-Heart to reset your levels in an mode world, but I'm in an expert mode world, and I can't figure out how to reset, even though I'm at the level cap of 8.
You need to put it in the hotbar, select it, then right click with it selected like you would with a weapon.

You must be Level 8 in two ways:
- Have a General Level of 8.
- Have 8 Attribute Points distributed through your stats.
Then you must Right-Click-Use the DHeart for it to take effect.

When fighting the old one's army, the smaller mobs spawn as bosses far too often and it ends up making the event nearly impossible.
Ended up with 5 at the same time on wave 4 and they just sat on the crystal.:confused:

What happens when it says the world's cravasses tramble?
Did you mean to misspell that?:D

Do you have, or plan on setting up a discord server for this mod?

When fighting the old one's army, the smaller mobs spawn as bosses far too often and it ends up making the event nearly impossible.
Ended up with 5 at the same time on wave 4 and they just sat on the crystal.:confused:

Well, that happens... but I already have a solution for this specific case.

As for "crevasses" and "tremble" it is indeed misspelled. The message means that your world's level has been increased.

I'll create a discord server, but in the future. For now I'm a quite occupied with some other affairs.

hey, the Shadow Appendixes are a big problem. I have 3 problems with them:

1. They can hook to other NPCs,

2. These NPCs include things like the Eternia Crystal, and Town NPCs,

3. And worst of all, Shadow Appendixes have a chance to be [Boss], [Shadow], or even [Shadow Boss]. This can mean you have a minor enemy with a long chain/swarm of evil [Shadow] Shadow Appendixes linked too it.

My idea to nerf them is this:

1. Take away the ability to re-hook to other NPCs,

2. Take away the ability to become [Boss], [Shadow], or [Shadow Boss].
[doublepost=1549165123,1549164839][/doublepost]also cap the world level to 10 until the mechanic is found for the first time. Bound Mechanic and Mechanic are separate mobs, so it should be easy. This way, the world level can't soar ahead before you have access to statues. All this stuff + anything you're already busy with is going to take a lot of time, so no rush.
[doublepost=1549165310][/doublepost]One more thing. Shadow Orbs should be deactivated when dropped form mobs, then be craftable into regular Shadow Orbs at a furnace.

Last edited:
hey, the Shadow Appendixes are a big problem. I have 3 problems with them:

1. They can hook to other NPCs,

2. These NPCs include things like the Eternia Crystal, and Town NPCs,

3. And worst of all, Shadow Appendixes have a chance to be [Boss], [Shadow], or even [Shadow Boss]. This can mean you have a minor enemy with a long chain/swarm of evil [Shadow] Shadow Appendixes linked too it.

My idea to nerf them is this:

1. Take away the ability to re-hook to other NPCs,

2. Take away the ability to become [Boss], [Shadow], or [Shadow Boss].
[doublepost=1549165123,1549164839][/doublepost]also cap the world level to 10 until the mechanic is found for the first time. Bound Mechanic and Mechanic are separate mobs, so it should be easy. This way, the world level can't soar ahead before you have access to statues. All this stuff + anything you're already busy with is going to take a lot of time, so no rush.
[doublepost=1549165310][/doublepost]One more thing. Shadow Orbs should be deactivated when dropped form mobs, then be craftable into regular Shadow Orbs at a furnace.

Solved the issues with the Shadow Appendix:
- Instead of making him immune to damage while attached, it steals 2 HP per second of it's host (eventually killing the poor guy).
- The host can only be a monster that can have a level.
- When the it's host dies, it can no longer get another host and will start running at the player.
- It also has 15 more HP, deals 1 less damage and has 1 more defense.
- They cannot have any more variants than their default.

Other changes I've been working on:
- Shadow variants only appear on level 4 or greater worlds.
- The Death's Grasp duration is now capped at 1.5 seconds.
- Boss variants only appear on level 1 or greater world.
- Boss variant base chance slightly increased, while minimum chance reduced by 33% (of it's base value).
- Enemies that spawn from statues do not increase the world's level when killed (not anymore).
- The maximum attribute exp to level up an attribute grows 3 times faster than before.

About the Shadow Orbs:
- They are going to be used for other enhancements in the future, but for now, they are just another way of playing risky.

About the World Levels:
- I'm going to reformulate it to something some polished and smooth, so that it's not too fast nor too slow.

Last edited:
Solved the issues with the Shadow Appendix:
- Instead of making him immune to damage while attached, it steals 2 HP per second of it's host (eventually killing the poor guy).
- The host can only be a monster that can have a level.
- When the it's host dies, it can no longer get another host and will start running at the player.
- It also has 15 more HP, deals 1 less damage and has 1 more defense.
- They cannot have any more variants than their default.

Other changes I've been working on:
- Shadow variants only appear on level 4 or greater worlds.
- The Death's Grasp duration is now capped at 1.5 seconds.
- Boss variants only appear on level 1 or greater world.
- Boss variant base chance slightly increased, while minimum chance reduced by 33% (of it's base value).
- Enemies that spawn from statues do not increase the world's level when killed (not anymore).
- The maximum attribute exp to level up an attribute grows 3 times faster than before.

About the Shadow Orbs:
- They are going to be used for other enhancements in the future, but for now, they are just another way of playing risky.

About the World Levels:
- I'm going to reformulate it to something some polished and smooth, so that it's not too fast nor too slow.
Sounds great!
Attribute XP reduction was needed, it was leveling up quite fast.
Death's Grasp nerf is going to be huge because max health is around 600.

Broken Bones needs to be nerfed all the way down to 5 seconds. There is nothing you can do against it. No immunity, no healing, potions onlyy delay inevitable death, and it seems like everything can inflict it.
[doublepost=1549247791,1549247618][/doublepost]Also, i don't think tool speed bonus should be capped.

Broken Bones needs to be nerfed all the way down to 5 seconds. There is nothing you can do against it. No immunity, no healing, potions onlyy delay inevitable death, and it seems like everything can inflict it.
[doublepost=1549247791,1549247618][/doublepost]Also, i don't think tool speed bonus should be capped.

Yeah, Broken Bones was killing me 100 to 0 with the bleeding damage.
I noticed that when a certain speed bonus is reached, the tool breaks and then turns useless, so I capped it.

EDIT [1]: Base chance of getting inflicted with Broken Bones slightly reduced. Now the duration is calculated based on the player's defense. This duration cannot be lower than 5 seconds and cannot be greater than 30 seconds.

Last edited:

I realized how easy is to do a discord server, and I made one. I don't know if it's incomplete though...
LINK: https://discord.gg/Gsenp2b

hmmm.. i may check this out to see how better and interesting this is over other RPG mods i seen so far.

As much as I like this mod, it throws quite alot of errors, especially relating to NPCs dying (yes, your mod, your global npc class, is the problem)

And no I'm not going to discord to report this, don't ask me to join discords because I won't

Don't take that the wrong way, this is a GREAT little rpg mod, better than even the larger ones for what it does, it's just a tad buggy.

```
[18:49:38] [1/WARN] [tML]: Silently Caught Exception:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Terraria.Player.FindBuffIndex(Int32 type)
at Terraria.Player.HasBuff(Int32 type)
at DMode.DModeNPC.NPCLoot(NPC npc) in DModeNPC.cs:line 323
at Terraria.ModLoader.NPCLoader.NPCLoot(NPC npc)
at Terraria.NPC.NPCLoot()
at Terraria.NPC.checkDead()
at Terraria.NPC.StrikeNPC(Int32 Damage, Single knockBack, Int32 hitDirection, Boolean crit, Boolean noEffect, Boolean fromNet)
at Terraria.Projectile.Damage()
at Terraria.Projectile.Update(Int32 i)
at Terraria.Main.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.Update(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame_()
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)
```

As much as I like this mod, it throws quite alot of errors, especially relating to NPCs dying (yes, your mod, your global npc class, is the problem)

And no I'm not going to discord to report this, don't ask me to join discords because I won't

Don't take that the wrong way, this is a GREAT little rpg mod, better than even the larger ones for what it does, it's just a tad buggy.

```
[18:49:38] [1/WARN] [tML]: Silently Caught Exception:
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
at Terraria.Player.FindBuffIndex(Int32 type)
at Terraria.Player.HasBuff(Int32 type)
at DMode.DModeNPC.NPCLoot(NPC npc) in DModeNPC.cs:line 323
at Terraria.ModLoader.NPCLoader.NPCLoot(NPC npc)
at Terraria.NPC.NPCLoot()
at Terraria.NPC.checkDead()
at Terraria.NPC.StrikeNPC(Int32 Damage, Single knockBack, Int32 hitDirection, Boolean crit, Boolean noEffect, Boolean fromNet)
at Terraria.Projectile.Damage()
at Terraria.Projectile.Update(Int32 i)
at Terraria.Main.DoUpdate(GameTime gameTime)
at Terraria.Main.Update(GameTime gameTime)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame_()
at Terraria.Program.LaunchGame(String[] args, Boolean monoArgs)
at Terraria.WindowsLaunch.Main(String[] args)
```

First, I will politely and sincerely ask you to join the discord because it is waaaaaay easier for you to contact me and other players, as I rarely come to the Forums. With that out of the way, I can say that I spotted the bug and it is probably solved now. I literally forgot to put a " - 1" on a single line and that happens. Thank you very much.

Back
Top Bottom