tAPI [WIP][Released] Metroid Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, there's definitely some funny business going on with the projectiles. I just recreated the same crash with a regular (Red) Plasma Beam charge shot against a squirrel.
This definitely wasn't happening yesterday, when I was running r14a. Until this is resolved, I think I'll use that version of tAPI instead.

Alright, there's definitely some funny business going on with the projectiles. I just recreated the same crash with a regular (Red) Plasma Beam charge shot against a squirrel.
This definitely wasn't happening yesterday, when I was running r14a. Until this is resolved, I think I'll use that version of tAPI instead.
Strange, as I can't seem to recreate the crash whenever I want. It's very on/off for me.
What mods are you using? Maybe there's some strange conflict?

Literally, the only mod I'm running is your Metroid mod.
EDIT: I almost forgot, I reverted to version r14a of tAPI, and the crashes stop entirely.
I get the feeling I either had a dirty install of tAPI (bad installer), or something else is going on.

Shine Sparking in Morph Ball form is an intentional ability. You could even do it in Metroid Zero Mission.
What made you think it was a bug?
Im not sure, as i said before, i hadn't played the metroid games in a LONG time, so i might think something is unintentional or a bug when it is really a thing in the games. :p Just to check, what do you think about the X-Ray visor thing with the hellstone? You still kinda need it when you are in early hardmode.

I think most upgrades should be found or dropped from bosses, that way recipe balancing isn't an issue, what do you think, scooterboot?

I think most upgrades should be found or dropped from bosses, that way recipe balancing isn't an issue, what do you think, scooterboot?
Yes, it would balance it more, but i would rather keep it the way it is, or maybe having a special building you can find underground to get these powerups?

Have you even played metroid? Every upgrade in that game is found, except for missile cap upgrades from bosses.

Yes and no.
In Metroid, Metroid 2, and Super Metroid, most pickups were NOT boss-rewards but found at the end of map branches or hidden paths.
(in Metroid 1; none of them were save for an E-tank and a pair of missiles).

From Metroid Prime onward power-ups became more boss-oriented rewards, but still not strictly so.
(Space Jump and Beam Combos in MP1, Wave Beam in Zero Mission for example)

Missile Expansions will definitely be an item found underground. I have been contemplating the idea of finding Chozo statues underground that have petty upgrades in their hands (Ice Beam, Morph Ball, etc). But I also wanted the player to have the option of crafting the items themselves, should their luck be poor.
(Or if you are really lucky, maybe you'll even find high tier items underground, like the Plasma Beam?).

Thats not how it is ij metroid.
I don't remember being able to craft items in any of the Metroid games.:naughty:
(Note: sarcasm.)

All in all, having the ability to both craft the items and find them underground may be the best solution. Although, having an item drop straight from a boss... I dunno. I'll think about it.
(I guess it would be pretty nice to instantly get the Speed Booster from Serris, instead of having to find 2 pairs of Hermes boots. I don't know about Phantoon, though...)

I kinda like the boss-drop system that exists now. The crafting element feels very rewarding.

What I don't actually feel accomplishes things yet is how only one actual item really drops from the new bosses. As in, the one and only reason to ever fight either boss in terms of progression is to get that one upgrade that each offers eventually after you craft what it drops. (And the mask and trophy as applicable of course, but those are not actually useful.) So you fight them once, get what you need, and then never fight them again.

I wonder what else they could drop to really enhance the experience. Maybe some sort of power cell that is used in crafting other items. A phazon container of some sort, maybe, which allows crafted pure phazon to rest comfortably within.

I think i have a solution to this problem. Their could be 4 options when you go to enable the mod. You could enable a crafting option, where you can craft all the power ups, but can't find any under ground or from bosses. Then their would be a Boss drop option, where you get it strictly from bosses. Next, you could turn on the statue option, where you get the upgrades from the Chozo statues. Finally, you could have a option that combined all three options. Or maybe just have the last option. IDK, up to you scooterboot :naughty:

I kinda like the boss-drop system that exists now. The crafting element feels very rewarding.

What I don't actually feel accomplishes things yet is how only one actual item really drops from the new bosses. As in, the one and only reason to ever fight either boss in terms of progression is to get that one upgrade that each offers eventually after you craft what it drops. (And the mask and trophy as applicable of course, but those are not actually useful.) So you fight them once, get what you need, and then never fight them again.

I wonder what else they could drop to really enhance the experience. Maybe some sort of power cell that is used in crafting other items. A phazon container of some sort, maybe, which allows crafted pure phazon to rest comfortably within.
I see your point. And although you only fight bosses once in each playthrough in the Metroid games, this is Terraria. And heck, I don't know how many times one would have to kill the Golem to get the Beetle Armor.

I'm not exactly sure what I'd do other than make the Speed Booster take 5 X-Remnants or something, meaning you'd have to fight Serris 5 times? It kinda needs to be rewarding each time you kill a boss. In Terraria, bosses, like Plantera, usually drop one item, while having the chance of that item being multiple things. Problem is, in Metroid, you mostly only ever get one type of item from one type of boss, so I'd have to take drastic measures for this mod... which may make it feel less like a Metroid Mod.:confused:

I think I'm getting conflicted with these suggestions. I know I don't always have to agree with anyone's suggestions, but it always makes me feel good when I do...

Maybe, I dunno, you fight a boss a second time just because you want to? I know Serris will most likely only have to be fought once, but I could make it so only one piece of the Gravity Suit drops from Phantoon each time you fight him...

I think i have a solution to this problem. Their could be 4 options when you go to enable the mod. You could enable a crafting option, where you can craft all the power ups, but can't find any under ground or from bosses. Then their would be a Boss drop option, where you get it strictly from bosses. Next, you could turn on the statue option, where you get the upgrades from the Chozo statues. Finally, you could have a option that combined all three options. Or maybe just have the last option. IDK, up to you scooterboot :naughty:
Not gonna work too well. It'd be awkward if someone turned on the option to find items underground, generated a world, played it a bit, then decided they wanted to craft them and not find them underground. Well guess what? Their world was already generated with the items underground. While not too big of a deal, I guess, I'm just a bit against the idea. Besides, options are fine and dandy, and can be fairly challenging to make, but making options on that large of a scale? Sure, I can do it, but I have to write the code for all of the options, and it won't be fun...
Nice idea and all, but... not gonna happen. :sigh:

Not gonna work too well. It'd be awkward if someone turned on the option to find items underground, generated a world, played it a bit, then decided they wanted to craft them and not find them underground. Well guess what? Their world was already generated with the items underground. While not too big of a deal, I guess, I'm just a bit against the idea. Besides, options are fine and dandy, and can be fairly challenging to make, but making options on that large of a scale? Sure, I can do it, but I have to write the code for all of the options, and it won't be fun...
Nice idea and all, but... not gonna happen. :sigh:
Alright, i can understand that.

Yes and no.
In Metroid, Metroid 2, and Super Metroid, most pickups were NOT boss-rewards but found at the end of map branches or hidden paths.
(in Metroid 1; none of them were save for an E-tank and a pair of missiles).

From Metroid Prime onward power-ups became more boss-oriented rewards, but still not strictly so.
(Space Jump and Beam Combos in MP1, Wave Beam in Zero Mission for example)
I've been playing super metroid recently. I'm up to the wave beam. That's why i said that. (Side note, should i have the x ray this early?)

It's mostly Serris that I felt the dilemma with, though to be honest, I didn't fight Phantoon yet. I just got into Hard Mode myself.

See, apparently, players feel both immediate gratification as well as long term hoarding from their victory over bosses. Mechanical bosses in Vanilla Terraria drop Hallowed ore as well as their own unique kind of soul, yes? Fighting Plantera drops the Temple Key and a bunch of other fun lewt.

Now we can combine them. An immediate item is dropped, and then can be sold for a few gold coins once we don't need to craft it with anything again. So an item can be crafted from that one drop immediately. But it also could use something that's useful in future recipes, at least in small'ish amounts. Or maybe it could be ammo in some particularly powerful weapon. Like being able to divide that speed core into essence of speed, which can be mixed with missiles to make a finite amount of particularly speedy missiles? Or as an add-on to the beam cannon to increase its speed?

It's mostly Serris that I felt the dilemma with, though to be honest, I didn't fight Phantoon yet. I just got into Hard Mode myself.

See, apparently, players feel both immediate gratification as well as long term hoarding from their victory over bosses. Mechanical bosses in Vanilla Terraria drop Hallowed ore as well as their own unique kind of soul, yes? Fighting Plantera drops the Temple Key and a bunch of other fun lewt.

Now we can combine them. An immediate item is dropped, and then can be sold for a few gold coins once we don't need to craft it with anything again. So an item can be crafted from that one drop immediately. But it also could use something that's useful in future recipes, at least in small'ish amounts. Or maybe it could be ammo in some particularly powerful weapon. Like being able to divide that speed core into essence of speed, which can be mixed with missiles to make a finite amount of particularly speedy missiles? Or as an add-on to the beam cannon to increase its speed?
One of my older brothers once suggested that Gravity Gel could be used to make floating platforms or something...
Again, you make a good point. But as I've stated earlier, doing drastic changes like these might make it feel like less of a Metroid mod (I guess).
However, I suppose if I don't over do it, things will work out? Blegh. Currently, I'm in an unsure mood. I don't know if this is the best time for me to make decisions.
I'll most likely come to a solution tomorrow or the next day. See you next mission...

Reactions: Azu
I've been playing super metroid recently. I'm up to the wave beam. That's why i said that. (Side note, should i have the x ray this early?)
Depends on the route you take.
Super Metroid is RIPE for Sequence Breaking, especially if you know the more advanced techniques (Mockball, diagonal bomb jumping, among many others).

Casually, most players tend to get need X-Ray well after Wave Beam (if at all), but newer players may not.
My first playthrough (way back when I was a wee lad playing on the SNES) I didn't actually get Wave Beam until after I got Grapple Beam and X-Ray (after Power Bombs).

Reactions: Azu
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom