tAPI [WIP][Released] Metroid Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing how cool the boss and item footage we got was, I would like to know if you'd mind telling us what other bosses are planned for this mod besides Kraid and Nightmare.

Seeing how cool the boss and item footage we got was, I would like to know if you'd mind telling us what other bosses are planned for this mod besides Kraid and Nightmare.
The Omega Pirate is the next boss I'll be working on. After he is done, we'll be another step closer to release, as any bosses added after him are planned for after the initial release. Said other bosses include Ridley (Meta Ridley may be added first), possibly Thardus(?), the Metroid Prime, and many others to come.

I won't be adding every Metroid boss into the game, however, as I want to make sure each boss has a purpose (and some bosses may just be turned into really tough enemies/"mini bosses", like Arachnus).

The Omega Pirate is the next boss I'll be working on. After he is done, we'll be another step closer to release, as any bosses added after him are planned for after the initial release. Said other bosses include Ridley (Meta Ridley may be added first), possibly Thardus(?), the Metroid Prime, and many others to come.

I won't be adding every Metroid boss into the game, however, as I want to make sure each boss has a purpose (and some bosses may just be turned into really tough enemies/"mini bosses", like Arachnus).

What about the various Metroid forms? I'm guessing Larvae and Alphas will be regular enemies, while Gammas and maybe Zetas will be mini bosses, and Omegas will be a full boss?

What about the various Metroid forms? I'm guessing Larvae and Alphas will be regular enemies, while Gammas and maybe Zetas will be mini bosses, and Omegas will be a full boss?
They're definitely planned also, but I'm still debating on how to implement them. Regular larva Metroids will come with the initial release as regular enemies, however.

They're definitely planned also, but I'm still debating on how to implement them. Regular larva Metroids will come with the initial release as regular enemies, however.
What if the larva and alphas were pre-hm with the Gammas being early hm and Zeta's being like...maybe post-mech bosses? Omega post-plantera?

A closed beta strategy works better for full works like AM2R (where bugs and missing features can spoil a somewhat linear play) or the previous tAPI style releases of mods where the user had to download through the browser, extract, manually place the files in location, and relaunch the game.

With tModloader's Mod Browser users don't mind weekly updates and an early release preview might encourage talented coders and spriters to offer help if needed.

From what I'm seeing here you guys are doing a great job as it is and I can't wait to play. I love how the beams were split into compatible categories!

A closed beta strategy works better for full works like AM2R (where bugs and missing features can spoil a somewhat linear play) or the previous tAPI style releases of mods where the user had to download through the browser, extract, manually place the files in location, and relaunch the game.

With tModloader's Mod Browser users don't mind weekly updates and an early release preview might encourage talented coders and spriters to offer help if needed.

From what I'm seeing here you guys are doing a great job as it is and I can't wait to play. I love how the beams were split into compatible categories!
Well, I've already got coders and spriters helping me. The main reason I wanted it to be a closed beta was so that I could have a more preferred amount of feedback. Having the entirety of the people who follow this thread providing feedback can be overwhelming in some cases, especially when there is conflict within said feedback. If I were to give the mod to a select few people for testing who I knew were able to give a detailed analysis, it would make things much easier.

But again, we're still unsure of how we want to go about it, as we're not even in a testing phase as of yet--we're still adding more content.

You should consider making a discord server for this mod, it would be an easy place to release information/updates and communicate with fans as well.

Just some thoughts to disregard if you've got better plans-

Have you decided how progression is going to match up compared to the games? The chronological solution is broken since Samus has to get nerfed between every title and the all-the-games-at-once using their own early-mid-late tier is a huge mess for any sense of immersion. I think the least headache inducing option is go totally Super Metroid alternate timeline and just have Samus take too long getting there, that way we'll have a both a SR388 level of infestation and a chance for Mother Brain to have resurrected Phazon research.

A solution for Terraria having an economy at least presents itself with the fact that Samus is a bounty hunter. You could possibly have Adam sell the Zero Suit and a weak Phase Pistol to give the really early game some pre-meteorite Metroid feel. If you can code a custom currency like the eternia crystals you'd be well on your way to having a Space Pirate invasion with Adam being a new tavernkeep type NPC. The alternate currency could also help with the earlier requests for additional rewards from farming bosses.

Just some thoughts to disregard if you've got better plans-

Have you decided how progression is going to match up compared to the games? The chronological solution is broken since Samus has to get nerfed between every title and the all-the-games-at-once using their own early-mid-late tier is a huge mess for any sense of immersion. I think the least headache inducing option is go totally Super Metroid alternate timeline and just have Samus take too long getting there, that way we'll have a both a SR388 level of infestation and a chance for Mother Brain to have resurrected Phazon research.

A solution for Terraria having an economy at least presents itself with the fact that Samus is a bounty hunter. You could possibly have Adam sell the Zero Suit and a weak Phase Pistol to give the really early game some pre-meteorite Metroid feel. If you can code a custom currency like the eternia crystals you'd be well on your way to having a Space Pirate invasion with Adam being a new tavernkeep type NPC. The alternate currency could also help with the earlier requests for additional rewards from farming bosses.
Well, first off, there's basically no lore, story, rhyme or reason why everything is the way it is. This is simply because Terraria is the same way--no real story. It's a sandbox game.

That said, the content from each Metroid game in the series is kinda going to be clumped all together into this mod, and there will be alternate "routes" of how the player wants to progress. There will be Tourian and the Impact Crater (both coming in later updates) in the same world, and the player can choose to do one or the other...
Or both, but the second one chosen will become easier due to weapons and abilities acquired from the first (i.e., using the Hyper Beam to wreck the Metroid Prime).
The Dark World from Prime 2 will also be added, but it can otherwise be ignored if the player chooses not to invest themselves into that route (and if they do, defeating the Emperor Ing will not close off the dark world; it'll still be open if one feels like re-fighting the bosses there or something). Also the Metroid Prime, Dark Samus (P2), Dark Samus (P3) can all be fought out of order, as they each act as alternative end-game bosses...

The requirement for meteorite has been removed. There is now going to be a new ore called "Chozite" (yes, I know the name sounds totally original). This new ore allows you to make Chozite Armor, which is then turned into the Power Suit using a drop from the Torizo.
I have no plans to add the Zero Suit, as I feel it appropriate to deem the player's default clothing as their "zero suit". I might, however, add the stun pistol, but that's only if I can find a purpose for adding it.

Also, Adam isn't going to be a friendly NPC (or at least he isn't panned to be at this moment)--instead it will be a friendly Chozo Ghost who kind of acts as the "guide" for this mod (telling you information, but also selling some stuff as well). If required, I can add more friendly NPCs, but this is how things will be for now.

Progression is all figured out. It just needs to be implemented (and balanced where necessary).

Edit: And to clarify, the initial release will only include enough content to get to vanilla Terraria's end-game to defeat the Moon Lord. Major updates will come later and each one will include its own route to end-game.

Well, first off, there's basically no lore, story, rhyme or reason why everything is the way it is. This is simply because Terraria is the same way--no real story. It's a sandbox game.

That said, the content from each Metroid game in the series is kinda going to be clumped all together into this mod, and there will be alternate "routes" of how the player wants to progress. There will be Tourian and the Impact Crater (both coming in later updates) in the same world, and the player can choose to do one or the other...
Or both, but the second one chosen will become easier due to weapons and abilities acquired from the first (i.e., using the Hyper Beam to wreck the Metroid Prime).
The Dark World from Prime 2 will also be added, but it can otherwise be ignored if the player chooses not to invest themselves into that route (and if they do, defeating the Emperor Ing will not close off the dark world; it'll still be open if one feels like re-fighting the bosses there or something). Also the Metroid Prime, Dark Samus (P2), Dark Samus (P3) can all be fought out of order, as they each act as alternative end-game bosses...

The requirement for meteorite has been removed. There is now going to be a new ore called "Chozite" (yes, I know the name sounds totally original). This new ore allows you to make Chozite Armor, which is then turned into the Power Suit using a drop from the Torizo.
I have no plans to add the Zero Suit, as I feel it appropriate to deem the player's default clothing as their "zero suit". I might, however, add the stun pistol, but that's only if I can find a purpose for adding it.

Also, Adam isn't going to be a friendly NPC (or at least he isn't panned to be at this moment)--instead it will be a friendly Chozo Ghost who kind of acts as the "guide" for this mod (telling you information, but also selling some stuff as well). If required, I can add more friendly NPCs, but this is how things will be for now.

Progression is all figured out. It just needs to be implemented (and balanced where necessary).

Edit: And to clarify, the initial release will only include enough content to get to vanilla Terraria's end-game to defeat the Moon Lord. Major updates will come later and each one will include its own route to end-game.

TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Seriously though, the planned stuff sounds awesome.

Do you think it will integrate well with other big mods like Thorium and Calamity?

TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Seriously though, the planned stuff sounds awesome.

Do you think it will integrate well with other big mods like Thorium and Calamity?
That's hard to say. I tend to do my testing with only my mod and a cheat mod active, so people may have to just turn on all 3 mods and find out. Really the worst things that can happen when using multiple "overhaul" mods are balancing issues and custom generated structures being meshed into one another. The latter of which only being gamebreaking if certain items can only be obtained from those structures and you lose the part that holds said item, or something similar.

Metroid is my most favorite game of all time and this mod makes me feel like this is a new Metroid game even though I haven't played it, so many different features make the mod feel like a complete change. Hope it's released this year, right..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom