tAPI [WIP][Released] Metroid Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
so are you still aiming for a release this month?
Still trying to. All this Covid-19 stuff hasn't slowed me down yet (but playing Doom Eternal is definitely going to slow me down lol). And thankfully I don't have any major health conditions, so I'll most likely be fine if I do get infected. Though, to the people who are not so lucky, I wish you all the best of health.

Man this mod must have been something special back in the TAPI days, can anyone tell me what it was like?
I've always considered Terraria gameplay to be a mix of Minecraft and Super Metroid. The TAPI mod added significantly more Super Metroid feel without feeling out of place with Terraria's own mechanics.

The code Scooterboot chose to implement was probably the more challenging option, preserving the feel of beam mixing and motion fluidity of the Metroid series within the confines of what TAPI and the Terraria engine were capable of. Everything 'Metroid' about the mod simply felt correct while still balanced for Terraria.

For example the Arm Cannon could have been powered by ammo or mana, but both options would likely betray either the feel of Metroid or balance of Terraria. By implementing overheating a seemingly perfect balance was struck. Similarly the morph ball's implementation allowed it the same utility and feel as in metroid without allowing the Terraria side of the game to make it OP.

metroid stuff feels right at home in terraria. also the overheat mechanic is cool, and the addon system is one of the most unique ways I've seen to implement weapon progression without making you flat out craft a new weapon. also I'm a pretty big metroid fan, so that also probably has something to do with it.

Man this mod must have been something special back in the TAPI days, can anyone tell me what it was like?
I played it with my brother back then, and we loved it so much. Like Christopher and mynameisgabe said, Metroid stuff feels natural in Terraria because Terraria itself feels like a Metroid/Zelda game.
Back then I remember enjoying it so much, with beams and the suits, and the morphball, ot looking for phazon deep in caves... just to awesome for be real, and it was!
PD: And one of my favs part was the sounds, like now they were just a perfect punch in your nostalgia.
PDD: Like all you know, we dont have a new Metroid game since a while, and playing this or using Chozo Armor in MH4U were my tools for feel like I was playing a new one.

So, this may be a perfectionist thing, but I don't think the mod will be finished enough for release for this month, so... April is the new target month.

To be more specific, there is still a bundle of stuff I want to polish as much as I can before release. Although, the first release will be considered 'beta' so I don't need to go overboard, but with the current issues that I'm already aware of, I feel I need to fix almost everything I know of.
ThisIsFine.jpg

Also, I really hope this mod isn't being over hyped. I know you guys are stoked for it, and it may just be me being my own worst critic, but I hope that the hype hasn't set too high of a bar for this mod to reach, so keep that in mind.

S
So, this may be a perfectionist thing, but I don't think the mod will be finished enough for release for this month, so... April is the new target month.

To be more specific, there is still a bundle of stuff I want to polish as much as I can before release. Although, the first release will be considered 'beta' so I don't need to go overboard, but with the current issues that I'm already aware of, I feel I need to fix almost everything I know of.
View attachment 250052

Also, I really hope this mod isn't being over hyped. I know you guys are stoked for it, and it may just be me being my own worst critic, but I hope that the hype hasn't set too high of a bar for this mod to reach, so keep that in mind.
Dont worry, it is not a surprise to me, things need time.
And of course, the hyoe is just that tipe of hype you need to use it, to have it! im aware that is a mod, and maybe it will have flaws and such, but for me it is so important to finally use it again.
Thanks for doing this Scooterboot, I mean it.
Hugz friend ❤

It's all fine, the hype is technically my own fault considering my past experience with using the mod back in the day felt as if I was completely playing an entirely new game. Even then, the chance to play the metroid mod to the current date and try to boss rush terraria's content + calamaty, thorium's, etc,.. gets me quite excited.

Don't feel bad if you miss dates, this is a passion project that until you feel comfortable releasing it, I'll gladly wait.

I've got so much else to do while I wait that I'm entirely unphased anyway. Heck, this even gives me more time to finish other, currently ongoing Terraria playthroughs so I'm not in the middle of one when this releases!
I actually ended one a couple days ago, my first Calamity playthrough, it was awesome. And before that did another Thorium one to taste the Bard class, so much fun!
The Thorium one before the delay, the Calamity after it, I was so nervous to use the new contents.
All to wait for this mod and 1.4
The next months could be awesome, I bet it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom