tAPI [WIP][Released] Metroid Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to know about the blocks. Definitely going to need them when this gets released, because the madness is seeping in.

I wanted something fancier than just another hellevator (though I'm putting one below anyway because I'm not rebuilding all of Zebes), so now,
I've got a chunk of the green Brinstar vertical shaft,View attachment 283624
this side path,View attachment 283625
and a save room,View attachment 283626
though I backlit that with gemspark walls behind the foreground blocks for a snapshot to show elsewhere.

Having some nice-looking Metroid-style plant and stone blocks would be great.

🤔 Maybe some altered versions of logic sensors could be included too, like a wider version of the player-detecting one
Logic_Sensor_%28Player_Above%29.png
, for if someone ever made a speed test like that side path with the shutters.

For world generation, I could see this mod borrowing an idea from Redemption, having some special blocks that are completely invulnerable to breaking via bombs, dynamite, or whatever else (and some craftable types that can still be broken, but only with a pickaxe). Those areas would provide the player a reward (maybe just a fun extra if not a necessity), which they can only receive if they have what they need to get to it.

😐 That's probably already on your minds though. We could just craft our beams and armor, but exploring and finding a few bits and pieces wouldn't be bad either.
I like your builds, they look so nice. Love the plant aestetic of the walls, or the save room! Are those that automatic walls that close themselves when you enter the room? Awesome.
Makes me want to play Super/Fusion again, maybe even Zero.
Some question, what did you use to make the blue lights in the elevator platform? Look like some lab/spaceship lights from Starbound.

Gemspark blocks with actuators, and "player above"-type logic sensors placed far enough out that the hatches open as I approach, but won't open from inside unless I hug against the sides, so there's tons of room to move around while in the hatch without accidentally letting an enemy in. Makes it a lot like 1.4's smart doors.

The blue lights (can't paint them orange, shoot) on the elevator platform are actually halogen lights from Redemption. There aren't many good blocks for stuff like that, though I guess I could've just used more gemspark blocks.
1595275982865.png

Maybe if we're lucky, there'll be a decorative piece like that in the end when this mod comes out (or it could be like how cog blocks animate when enough are together), but if not, no problem.

Getting a little tempted to build more of Zebes. %-_-

Last edited:
I just realised. there's still a person out there that isn't suffering our fate of having to still wait for the mod to get released. lol (sorta jealous tbh)

Screw it, I'm spending too much time "painting" Crateria and not even playing. I haven't even picked a location for villagers.
1595636270674.png

Think I'll start fresh.

I'll wait for this mod to come out if I want to rebuild Zebes, but I'll keep using the idea of hatches and maybe sections similar to Brinstar, Norfair, Maridia, etc. That's still fun.

Curious to see what kind of world generation and such pops up when this is released.

I just realised. there's still a person out there that isn't suffering our fate of having to still wait for the mod to get released. lol (sorta jealous tbh)
What do you mean ChloeElizabeth?
For my part I am doing well, I am replaying Dark Souls 2, I never ended it so am enjoying it a lot. And makes the wait much smoother.

so, how much of a delay did forgetting to add the mob spawning add to the release? is it still mostly done, besides some testing, or did that add a considerable delay in the release?

so, how much of a delay did forgetting to add the mob spawning add to the release? is it still mostly done, besides some testing, or did that add a considerable delay in the release?
Well, mob spawning is kind of a rather large issue that will be tedious to iron out. When tougher mobs spawn too often, it can throw the balance off. The biggest issue is testing for it can be somewhat painful as I'm literally testing for randomness in a sense.

But that's not the only issue, the other aspect is making sure multiplayer is working correctly as well. So far many of the weapons and abilities work pretty well without many noticeable issues, but I'm finding that mobs will get desynced easily, which ruins the fun quite quickly (bosses also seem to have similar issues with MP, but to a lesser extent).

And adding salt to the wound, I somehow managed to be almost completely unproductive this entire month... yay... this month has been weirdly annoying.
(Aside from temporarily switching over to my GameMaker project and working on it, which helped my productivity, but I didn't do much with it.)

I'd be more then willing to help test out MP issues if you ever need a spare hand, as that's mostly what I'd be using the mod for anyways. I understand the team is private right now, though, but my offer will still stand in the case you reach out to the public for help with testing.

Well, mob spawning is kind of a rather large issue that will be tedious to iron out. When tougher mobs spawn too often, it can throw the balance off. The biggest issue is testing for it can be somewhat painful as I'm literally testing for randomness in a sense.

But that's not the only issue, the other aspect is making sure multiplayer is working correctly as well. So far many of the weapons and abilities work pretty well without many noticeable issues, but I'm finding that mobs will get desynced easily, which ruins the fun quite quickly (bosses also seem to have similar issues with MP, but to a lesser extent).

And adding salt to the wound, I somehow managed to be almost completely unproductive this entire month... yay... this month has been weirdly annoying.
(Aside from temporarily switching over to my GameMaker project and working on it, which helped my productivity, but I didn't do much with it.)
I can also test the mob spawn if you need help, anyways these days I dont have to much to do. But dont know how, just go there (corruption for example) and count mod's mobs between regulars?

best way to test randomness is to throw a bunch of bodys at it
mob spawning is a dynamic problem
the more mobs you add
the more balancing you will have to do
its something that is best handled over time with tons of play testing
Because the "over time with tons of play testing" like you said, I am with Eduardokirbyfun, a beta with some feedback for iron out bugs and imbalances. After all we are fans about metroid and Scootter work done here, we are not a bunch of dumb critics. We can help a little with the testing in this wonderful project.
That could speed the process too.
There are time ahead for patches and such if the mobs are not spawning accordingly.

Hugs friends ❤

Not to burst you guys' bubbles, but I didn't intend to spur the idea of selecting beta testers (because I personally think it would be a headache to sort out). So this is a good opportunity to clarify some things:

Currently, I guess you could say the mod is still in alpha... a very late alpha, but still alpha. The reason being is that there's still multiple placeholder values/variables, and what I and my team are testing for is to create better base values to start everything off with (I don't expect this mod to be 100% balanced or bug free on first release).

When these placeholder values and variables are replaced with acceptable, more fine-tuned values, we can move onto beta... which will be the first release--an open beta release. Which is way easier than carefully selecting beta testers, plus it gets the mod out to the public sooner.

I hope I explained that coherently.

Not to burst you guys' bubbles, but I didn't intend to spur the idea of selecting beta testers (because I personally think it would be a headache to sort out). So this is a good opportunity to clarify some things:

Currently, I guess you could say the mod is still in alpha... a very late alpha, but still alpha. The reason being is that there's still multiple placeholder values/variables, and what I and my team are testing for is to create better base values to start everything off with (I don't expect this mod to be 100% balanced or bug free on first release).

When these placeholder values and variables are replaced with acceptable, more fine-tuned values, we can move onto beta... which will be the first release--an open beta release. Which is way easier than carefully selecting beta testers, plus it gets the mod out to the public sooner.

I hope I explained that coherently.
Sure thing, I guessed that it would be not posible but wanted to help. Anyways I dont know how could I did that.
Thanks for explain more things of the situation of the mod Scoot, eager to see what you guys are doing with it. Keep the good work!
For my part, I will go around a bit more in DS2 until the next info update.
Hugs friend 😊

i wasnt intending to say that you should do an open beta of some kind
i was just saying that when anything with a element of randomness is involved
the more hands working on it
the faster things go
if anything i was intending to say that something like balancing damage and mob values can be done later on after the first release
but i understand about being a perfectionist and wanting it perfect on the first try

you just do you scoot

i wasnt intending to say that you should do an open beta of some kind
i was just saying that when anything with a element of randomness is involved
the more hands working on it
the faster things go
if anything i was intending to say that something like balancing damage and mob values can be done later on after the first release
but i understand about being a perfectionist and wanting it perfect on the first try

you just do you scoot
Mod like Thorium and Calamity are doing that continously, even after all the years. The mob spawns, damage, etc... Are a lot of work, and I can see a constant worry about it if you intend to add more and more of mobs/drops/whatever in your mod from time to time.
I can't view myself doing that, even don't know where to start to making a mod, so imagine! Hahaha

There is a feature that gets my attention, in Thorium, the final boss cant get more than 3K DPS or it gets angry. At least when I played it. Things like that always amaze me, how they do all that code for all those purposes.
When I readed pages ago, that the Phazon Pirate boss have almost 3000 lines of code... Tiring and outstanding work!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom