tAPI [WIP][Released] Metroid Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's weird, though. Here's something that I still don't fully understand myself.

What happens if we do a PURELY Metroid run? I.e. with the least native Terraria items as possible, relying on the Metroid Mod's items as much as possible in and of itself?

For example, the one and only ranged weapons I've used so far are the missiles and beam cannons with assorted upgrades. No arrows, no bullets, no magic.

And then what about melee? I bought a Katana from the Traveling Merchant and have been using that for close quarters for when my magic is out. It's very un-Metroid like to have beam weapons that have infinite ammo (Except in Metroid Prime 2) to them and then here, they use magic. Not that I'm complaining. There were times when I felt it was very balanced when I was mobile enough to dodge enemies, and there were times when I was panicking for my life from not being able to shoot and having no other recourse.

It's weird, though. Here's something that I still don't fully understand myself.

What happens if we do a PURELY Metroid run? I.e. with the least native Terraria items as possible, relying on the Metroid Mod's items as much as possible in and of itself?

For example, the one and only ranged weapons I've used so far are the missiles and beam cannons with assorted upgrades. No arrows, no bullets, no magic.

And then what about melee? I bought a Katana from the Traveling Merchant and have been using that for close quarters for when my magic is out. It's very un-Metroid like to have beam weapons that have infinite ammo (Except in Metroid Prime 2) to them and then here, they use magic. Not that I'm complaining. There were times when I felt it was very balanced when I was mobile enough to dodge enemies, and there were times when I was panicking for my life from not being able to shoot and having no other recourse.
Hmm, you do raise a viable point. Although, I think using a beam should come to some sort of cost...
I did mention before that I thought about removing mana cost and adding some sort of "overheat" system, but I'm not quite sure how I want it to work.
Maybe you can fire fast, but when it's overheated your fire rate is reduce by about 60%? This way you can still shoot, but the DPS is greatly reduced if used too much...
I dunno, like I said, I'm still not quite sure how I want it to work...

That would be an interesting thing. I really like the Charge meter in the upper left of the screen that you implemented. It definitely helps, despite the sound effect (which can get kinda lost in the raging heat of combat.) so maybe another meter could be implemented right under it, and if it ever reaches 100%, it would fire at half-speed for a while until it reached 25% fullness? Fully charged shots would raise it by 15% or so, likely.

But yes, there are times when we do have to fire fairly quickly.

Really though, anyone who wants to overpower themselves and use overpowered items is only ruining it for themselves. Someone who is doing a real Metroid run, which, thanks to you, is totally a thing now due to the diversity of the items, probably shouldn't be limited too much by balancing via mana.

I mean it would work, but lots of stuff uses mana in-game, and it's refilled by mana potions and stars, which weren't in Metroid. I'm not usually this picky, but this mod is SO IMPRESSIVE from being accurate to its roots that I'm finding myself hard-pressed to overlook it.

So, ... uh ... long story short,

That would be an interesting thing. I really like the Charge meter in the upper left of the screen that you implemented. It definitely helps, despite the sound effect (which can get kinda lost in the raging heat of combat.) so maybe another meter could be implemented right under it, and if it ever reaches 100%, it would fire at half-speed for a while until it reached 25% fullness? Fully charged shots would raise it by 15% or so, likely.

But yes, there are times when we do have to fire fairly quickly.

Really though, anyone who wants to overpower themselves and use overpowered items is only ruining it for themselves. Someone who is doing a real Metroid run, which, thanks to you, is totally a thing now due to the diversity of the items, probably shouldn't be limited too much by balancing via mana.

I mean it would work, but lots of stuff uses mana in-game, and it's refilled by mana potions and stars, which weren't in Metroid. I'm not usually this picky, but this mod is SO IMPRESSIVE from being accurate to its roots that I'm finding myself hard-pressed to overlook it.

So, ... uh ... long story short,
Hehe. I greatly appreciate the support and feedback.

Anyway, without further ado...

Updated! (v2.0 r3)
Patch that fixes quite a few issues:

Fixed bug where de-equipping Morph Ball while it was active would cause graphical glitches. Instead the player simply returns to normal when it's de-equipped.
Fixed similar bugs involving the Speed Booster. The Blue Suit is no more. ;-; (Lol)
Ice Beam can no longer freeze WoF's eyes. It is also less effective against Skeletron(Prime)'s arms (needs further tweaking, actually...)
Serris's Speed Boost ability has been adjusted to be more lethal.
Green Plasma Beam tweaked. Should be more viable for crowd control.
Morph Ball now properly disables Flying Carpet while active. (Somersaulting is also disabled when using the Flying Carpet.)

Morph Ball recipe changed to: 20 Meteorite Bar, 3 Diamond, 5 Gold/Platinum Bar, 3 Fallen Star; at an Anvil
Morph Ball V2 recipe changed to: 1 Morph Ball, 3 Adamantite/Titanium Bar, 35 Wire, 20 Soul of Fright; at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
Ectoplasmic Locator recipe changed to: 20 Wire, 1 Suspicious Looking Eye, 20 Gel, 5 Soul of Night; at a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil

Download on the front page.

I hope I didn't forget to list anything...

(I still haven't fixed the bug with equipping 2 Morph Balls at the same time. It'll be fixed in the next patch.)

Edit: I'll get to working on the overheat system now, I suppose...

Edit 2: Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention I also fixed the map bug. Instead, the player's color when using Speed Booster is no longer shown on the map...

Last edited:
sigh i wish i did see this before kill me plz hey ill play it now but what about the ped suit what it will do?
[DOUBLEPOST=1429486728][/DOUBLEPOST]sigh i wish i did see this before kill me plz hey ill play it now but what about the ped suit what it will do? (#Blamemy internet)

Ok now i've got bug for you. If you throw the Missile Launcher while recharging, you'll still do the recharging animation, but can switch weapons and use them, you'll just have one hand in the air. You can fix this by picking up your Missile Launcher and switching to it.

Great mod so far though! Keep up the good work!

It's sad how such great mods must contain so many bugs to be great. If they don't, then you are incredibly perfect.... which is impossible.

Ok now i've got bug for you. If you throw the Missile Launcher while recharging, you'll still do the recharging animation, but can switch weapons and use them, you'll just have one hand in the air. You can fix this by picking up your Missile Launcher and switching to it.

Great mod so far though! Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the bug report. I'll take a look into it. Shouldn't be incredibly hard to fix. :D

I personally think that the suits should be upgraded from one another, kinda like the metroid games (Unless they don't, i forget sometimes :p)
[DOUBLEPOST=1429488028][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, i was wondering if you plan to input fan ideas into your mod? You know, like a phazon whip or something.

I personally think that the suits should be upgraded from one another, kinda like the metroid games (Unless they don't, i forget sometimes :p)
Um, it takes the Power Suit to make the Varia Suit, and Varia to make Gravity, and etc...
Each new suit is already an upgrade from the previous one. Hehe.
That was what you were suggesting, right?

[DOUBLEPOST=1429488028][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, i was wondering if you plan to input fan ideas into your mod? You know, like a phazon whip or something.
Dont they already?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom