tAPI [WIP][Released] Metroid Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes and no.
In Metroid, Metroid 2, and Super Metroid, most pickups were NOT boss-rewards but found at the end of map branches or hidden paths.
(in Metroid 1; none of them were save for an E-tank and a pair of missiles).

From Metroid Prime onward power-ups became more boss-oriented rewards, but still not strictly so.
(Space Jump and Beam Combos in MP1, Wave Beam in Zero Mission for example)
I didn't say metroid 2 or metroid prime, the topic was metroid. I know how all official metroid games work, I have every one.

Depends on the route you take.
Super Metroid is RIPE for Sequence Breaking, especially if you know the more advanced techniques (Mockball, diagonal bomb jumping, among many others).

Casually, most players tend to get need X-Ray well after Wave Beam (if at all), but newer players may not.
My first playthrough (way back when I was a wee lad playing on the SNES) I didn't actually get Wave Beam until after I got Grapple Beam and X-Ray (after Power Bombs).
I figured something was ip the moment it turned into a sea of spikes. I basically ran across and ran back. :)

I find that charge beam gets overpowered, when charged, and combined with wave, ice, and wide, red plasma is doing 2000 damage and green plasma is doing 3000 damage against bosses, and the nova beam is doing 5000+! Charging needs to be nerfed, it severely outclasses Phazon and Hyper beam.

Last edited:
I find that charge beam gets overpowered, when charged, and combined with wave, ice, and wide, red plasma is doing 2000 damage and green plasma is doing 3000 damage against bosses, and the nova beam is doing 5000+! Charging needs to be nerfed, it severely outclasses Phazon and Hyper beam.
Thing is, Phazon and Hyper Beam are auto fire. Charging takes time (unless you use Sense Move to get an insta-charge).
Charge shots are more or less good for damage per shot, whereas the Phazon and Hyper Beams have good damage per second...
Unless I totally messed up, and the whole thing is unbalanced.:confused: (And here I had the idea of adding Accel Charges...)

Charge shots will either get a nerf, or...
The damage of each beam will get a nerf, making players rely a bit more on charge shots?:rolleyes:
I definitely don't want the charge beam to be useless.

Contemplation intensifies.

Thing is, Phazon and Hyper Beam are auto fire. Charging takes time (unless you use Sense Move to get an insta-charge).
Charge shots are more or less good for damage per shot, whereas the Phazon and Hyper Beams have good damage per second...
Unless I totally messed up, and the whole thing is unbalanced.:confused: (And here I had the idea of adding Accel Charges...)

The damage of each beam will get a nerf, making players rely a bit more on charge shots?:rolleyes:

Due to how defense works in Terraria (flat reduction), Charged shots are inherently more efficient than regular shots for the cost, and promote the generally safer hit-and-fade strategy for combat. Also, due to how Mana Regeneration works, it's GENERALLY better to kill enemies in one slightly more expensive charged shot than several cheaper shots to allow for faster mana recharge.

So, spamming uncharged shots just a bad idea for non-trivial targets (basically, all of pre-hardmode enemies).
The DPS-heavy beams are very powerful for a short time, but require something like a Mana Flower and a stack of potions to be fully effective.

Personally, I think Beam Damage is currently a bit too LOW, while the charge multiplier is a bit too HIGH, at least for Hardmode.
I'm constantly using charged shots for general defense because it's just plain safer.
Just as a basis of comparison, I was able to survive a Full Moon with just a Charge 2 and a Power Suit, thanks to being able to 2-3 hit kill werewolves (no walling).

IIRC, earlier in the thread you said you considered an internal "overheat" mechanic for beams. That might be worth pursuing.
If you provide a fixed rate (or base it on the Suit, possibly), low/no-delay cooldown, that would help normalize balancing better than Mana.

2015-04-22_00001.jpg

You can freeze the Golem's Head and Fists XD
[DOUBLEPOST=1429720497,1429720392][/DOUBLEPOST]

The whole thing is ubalanced, I tested them myself against plantera(and Golem, as you see above), charged shots completely outclassed the hyper and Phazon beams in terms of DPS

Can you use this mod on multiplayer?
I kinda tried to play with my friend, but I wasn't able to enter my own server!
My tAPI and Metroid mod are on the latest version, btw.

It is not multiplayer, read a few posts down and you would have seen that I already asked. While we are on this topic though... What does it take to code it to multiplayer? I have zero experience with network coding :O

Due to how defense works in Terraria (flat reduction), Charged shots are inherently more efficient than regular shots for the cost, and promote the generally safer hit-and-fade strategy for combat. Also, due to how Mana Regeneration works, it's GENERALLY better to kill enemies in one slightly more expensive charged shot than several cheaper shots to allow for faster mana recharge.

So, spamming uncharged shots just a bad idea for non-trivial targets (basically, all of pre-hardmode enemies).
The DPS-heavy beams are very powerful for a short time, but require something like a Mana Flower and a stack of potions to be fully effective.

Personally, I think Beam Damage is currently a bit too LOW, while the charge multiplier is a bit too HIGH, at least for Hardmode.
I'm constantly using charged shots for general defense because it's just plain safer.
Just as a basis of comparison, I was able to survive a Full Moon with just a Charge 2 and a Power Suit, thanks to being able to 2-3 hit kill werewolves (no walling).

IIRC, earlier in the thread you said you considered an internal "overheat" mechanic for beams. That might be worth pursuing.
If you provide a fixed rate (or base it on the Suit, possibly), low/no-delay cooldown, that would help normalize balancing better than Mana.
Overheat is already a thing now, actually. It'll be introduced in the next update. I'll provide a video at some point in time previewing how it works.

I think I'll keep the beam damage the same, but I'll lower the charge multiplier from 5 to 3 (and maybe charged shots should be slightly less effective against enemy defense? I'll test some things out).

View attachment 46711
You can freeze the Golem's Head and Fists XD
Whelp. Time for another freeze debuff tweak...

The whole thing is ubalanced, I tested them myself against plantera(and Golem, as you see above), charged shots completely outclassed the hyper and Phazon beams in terms of DPS
I guess I'll buff the Hyper and Phazon beams as well, then.
Phazon Beam's damage will be increased from 30 to 60 (or maybe more. I'll test it).
Hyper Beam damage is currently 100... I'll just increase it little by little and test how powerful it needs to be, I suppose.

Another thing I forgot to list in the known bugs section...

Multiplayer support will be something way off in the future, as I have not figured out most of the code needed for it yet.

Overheat is already a thing now, actually. It'll be introduced in the next update. I'll provide a video at some point in time previewing how it works.

I think I'll keep the beam damage the same, but I'll lower the charge multiplier from 5 to 3 (and maybe charged shots should be slightly less effective against enemy defense? I'll test some things out).

Whelp. Time for another freeze debuff tweak...

I guess I'll buff the Hyper and Phazon beams as well, then.
Phazon Beam's damage will be increased from 30 to 60 (or maybe more. I'll test it).
Hyper Beam damage is currently 100... I'll just increase it little by little and test how powerful it needs to be, I suppose.

Another thing I forgot to list in the known bugs section...

Multiplayer support will be something way off in the future, as I have not figured out most of the code needed for it yet.
Maybe the Hyper beam overheats less often so it's more spammy as well as its damage is increased?

Maybe the Hyper beam overheats less often so it's more spammy as well as its damage is increased?
Hehehehe. It's actually very spammy with overheat right now. It almost feels like it needs a nerf, but I don't know.:naughty:

Edit: @Xyifer12
I slightly increased the accuracy of the Phazon Beam, and I also slightly increased the range. I honestly want your opinion on this...

Before:
before.png

After:
after.png

(Edit: Heck, I want everyone's opinion on this.)

Looks good to me. Also on the topic of things that shouldn't be able to be frozen, I noticed that Everscreams, Santa-NK1s and Ice Queens could be frozen.

Sweet. Looking forward to it!

If you're dropping the raw damage multiplier, then lowering the defense modulus is less necessary, unless you want to make certain enemies more/less vulnerable vs charged shots ( which if possible, sounds like a good idea)

Looks good to me. Also on the topic of things that shouldn't be able to be frozen, I noticed that Everscreams, Santa-NK1s and Ice Queens could be frozen.
I'll fix that asap. :confused:
I need to rethink my npc checks for things to be frozen or not to be frozen...

If you're dropping the raw damage multiplier, then lowering the defense modulus is less necessary, unless you want to make certain enemies more/less vulnerable vs charged shots ( which if possible, sounds like a good idea)
I lowered the damage mult but didn't touch defense stuff, and it seems decent, although it's still a little bit outweighing the Hyper Beam. Could use a few tweaks.

Hehehehe. It's actually very spammy with overheat right now. It almost feels like it needs a nerf, but I don't know.:naughty:

Edit: @Xyifer12
I slightly increased the accuracy of the Phazon Beam, and I also slightly increased the range. I honestly want your opinion on this...

Before:
View attachment 46747

After:
View attachment 46748

(Edit: Heck, I want everyone's opinion on this.)
Went from looking like electricity to kick-:red: phazon tendrils, ++ on my side.

I'll fix that asap. :confused:
I need to rethink my npc checks for things to be frozen or not to be frozen...

I lowered the damage mult but didn't touch defense stuff, and it seems decent, although it's still a little bit outweighing the Hyper Beam. Could use a few tweaks.
Tweak hyper beam for more increased damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom