tModLoader SGAmod

Do you think I got what it takes to make this a good mod?

• Yes, please share your thoughts :)

Votes: 52 98.1%
  • No, Explain why not :(

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
intended, this projectile causes a very low amount of immunity frames, the basic shot hits only 8 times, the lv2 shot hits a bit more, and the lv3 has unlimited penetration. (but all 3 cause very low amount of immunity frames)
Did a test just now to make sure I'm seeing this right, and I am, so yes. (Because immunity frames tend to be a bit tricky and not work right half the time)
Causing low immunity frames causes some weird balancing stuff if you are worried about multiple projectile's interfering with ech other then use local npc immunity

Causing low immunity frames causes some weird balancing stuff if you are worried about multiple projectile's interfering with ech other then use local npc immunity
Yeah this is especially apparent with minions, but if the player is using this sword, they're likely using it because their playing melee or they're using the lv2 wave as a type of support, I don't see this one being abused as badly. However I'm going to bump it up to 3 frames instead of 2 as 2 is quite low (and fix penetration to infact, be as I said rather than more)
Outside of that I don't see the balance issue in this part, if the player is using other weapons that cause normal IFrames they'll become aware of it when using this one, I don't mind the interfering with Moonlight waves.

But, I would like to put this on the XOP FlameThrower which, reality should, not cause IFrames and interfering for other weapons

PS; it has just dawned on me I forgot to post the 2.1 Patch Notes

SGAmod 2.10 was released
2.10-(2/24/20)-Patch #1:

--Changed:
-When Calamity is installed-Doom Harbinger and Surpreme Pinky will automatically force Revengence and Death mode off, this is due to a critical conflict between the mods during these fights
-Enhancing Charm turned out to be alot stronger than it said it was and has been nerfed accordingly
-Normal Difficulty now only gives you 80% of the Expertise when rewarded, while expert mode gives the full ammount
-Removed Draken's lines that talk about him being sorry to Val, because he's not anymore
-Reverse Engineering Station's crafting recipe has been changed a bit, as well as a few other items, but nothing pace breaking
-Lined-out some tooltips to shorten them being too long on lower resolutions
-Crafting recipes for the Heart Lantern and Star in a Bottle Pets have been altered
-Added Glow Masks for a quite a few weapons

--Fixed:
-HOPEFULLY fixed the Sword Shrines getting deleted by generation (atleast the annoying ones, like traps)
-Cosmillash and Beam Gun now do variable damage where they didn't do any before
-Fixed soft-locking issues with the Grenadier's Glove and speed-related modifiers (upped value worth a bit more too to make reforging less cheap)
-Fixed Virulent and Mangrove item crafting issues and adjusted them to require Dank Wood (where needed)
-I forgot to mention a weapon the previous version added- the Circuit Breaker Blade, so yeah, whoops, also updating how I do changelogs numbers by also adding dates.
-A possible issue with Massive Bleeding and Gourged setting the buff type to a different buff
-Typoes and a few other things

Last edited:
Yeah this is especially apparent with minions, but if the player is using this sword, they're likely using it because their playing melee or they're using the lv2 wave as a type of support, I don't see this one being abused as badly. However I'm going to bump it up to 3 frames instead of 2 as 2 is quite low (and fix penetration to infact, be as I said rather than more)
Outside of that I don't see the balance issue in this part, if the player is using other weapons that cause normal IFrames they'll become aware of it when using this one, I don't mind the interfering with Moonlight waves.

But, I would like to put this on the XOP FlameThrower which, reality should, not cause IFrames and interfering for other weapons

PS; it has just dawned on me I forgot to post the 2.1 Patch Notes

SGAmod 2.10 was released
2.10-(2/24/20)-Patch #1:

--Changed:
-When Calamity is installed-Doom Harbinger and Surpreme Pinky will automatically force Revengence and Death mode off, this is due to a critical conflict between the mods during these fights
-Enhancing Charm turned out to be alot stronger than it said it was and has been nerfed accordingly
-Normal Difficulty now only gives you 80% of the Expertise when rewarded, while expert mode gives the full ammount
-Removed Draken's lines that talk about him being sorry to Val, because he's not anymore
-Reverse Engineering Station's crafting recipe has been changed a bit, as well as a few other items, but nothing pace breaking
-Lined-out some tooltips to shorten them being too long on lower resolutions
-Crafting recipes for the Heart Lantern and Star in a Bottle Pets have been altered
-Added Glow Masks for a quite a few weapons

--Fixed:
-HOPEFULLY fixed the Sword Shrines getting deleted by generation (atleast the annoying ones, like traps)
-Cosmillash and Beam Gun now do variable damage where they didn't do any before
-Fixed soft-locking issues with the Grenadier's Glove and speed-related modifiers (upped value worth a bit more too to make reforging less cheap)
-Fixed Virulent and Mangrove item crafting issues and adjusted them to require Dank Wood (where needed)
-I forgot to mention a weapon the previous version added- the Circuit Breaker Blade, so yeah, whoops, also updating how I do changelogs numbers by also adding dates.
-A possible issue with Massive Bleeding and Gourged setting the buff type to a different buff
-Typoes and a few other things
Have you heard of Local NPC Immunity?
It's really simple to implement and it allows for a lot more control of immune times as it is stored per projectile. Again it's really weird for a projectile to have such a low immune time. In its current state investing in melee speed is detrimental to the dps since the projectiles will hit less times.

Have you heard of Local NPC Immunity?
It's really simple to implement and it allows for a lot more control of immune times as it is stored per projectile. Again it's really weird for a projectile to have such a low immune time. In its current state investing in melee speed is detrimental to the dps since the projectiles will hit less times.
ooooohhhh I see, yeah I didn't consider that people would be using the sword as a "sword" lol, but I see what your getting at now
And not until now, there are still many things I don't realize exist, thankfully Example mod has a good example to work off of

Alright I think I got it working as it should, it does more overall when the projectile and the sword should both be hitting, so I assume they are (I do have some software installed that lets me slow down the FPS, it's helpful for frame-by-frame tests like this)

Last edited:
ooooohhhh I see, yeah I didn't consider that people would be using the sword as a "sword" lol, but I see what your getting at now
And not until now, there are still many things I don't realize exist, thankfully Example mod has a good example to work off of

Alright I think I got it working as it should, it does more overall when the projectile and the sword should both be hitting, so I assume they are (I do have some software installed that lets me slow down the FPS, it's helpful for frame-by-frame tests like this)
What I meant by melee speed is detrimental is that melee speed make melee projectiles move faster and thus spend less frames inside of enemies causing less hits and thus less damage. I suggest giving the proectiles local immunity and having the 1st and 2nd level ones be able to hit each enemy only once (set local immune time to -1) and the homing head should have like 30 frames of local immunity time. Since it hits the same enemy multiple times by flying around it. If you feel the sword isn't doing enough damage after these changes you can always tweak the damage/charge time. Maybye even make the charge time based on melee speed.

What I meant by melee speed is detrimental is that melee speed make melee projectiles move faster and thus spend less frames inside of enemies causing less hits and thus less damage. I suggest giving the proectiles local immunity and having the 1st and 2nd level ones be able to hit each enemy only once (set local immune time to -1) and the homing head should have like 30 frames of local immunity time. Since it hits the same enemy multiple times by flying around it. If you feel the sword isn't doing enough damage after these changes you can always tweak the damage/charge time. Maybye even make the charge time based on melee speed.
Wait what projectiles get faster with melee speed? Wat?
I never noticed that, and even so that's not what I want to happen here.
Sooooo, I have fixed up the projectiles, fixed the speed so they always move at what the sword's base shoot speed is, and charging is faster based on player.meleeSpeed, good idea! Also increased the local hit delay on the lv3 and made it home from a larger distance since it always felt awkward to have to "indirectly" aim the lv3 shot so it hits as many enemies as possible with it's homing

Wait what projectiles get faster with melee speed? Wat?
Yes... If an item is set to melee and it has shootspeed the shootspeed is multiplied by the player's melee speed stat when firing projectiles.

The only weapons that actually attack faster with meleeSpeed are swords and spears, and if a sword shoots projectiles the fire rate is usually not effected by melee speed.

Yes... If an item is set to melee and it has shootspeed the shootspeed is multiplied by the player's melee speed stat when firing projectiles.

The only weapons that actually attack faster with meleeSpeed are swords and spears, and if a sword shoots projectiles the fire rate is usually not effected by melee speed.
I'm presuming that's because melee speed affects itemAnimation, not itemTime
Most items don't boost melee speed enough for me to even really notice this little detail relogic put into the game, thanks alot Qwerty!

Furthermore:

SGAmod 2.20 has been released
2.2-(2/27/20)-Patch #2:

--Added:
-Acid Scepter, Flail-O-Nades,Demon Steppers, Bundle of Javelin Spear Heads and Javelin Parts, Corroded Shield and Amber Glow Skull (Spider Queen Expert Drop and bonus Drop respectively), Cursed Hail, Massacre Prototype, Heartreach/Booster/Omni Magnets
-A few more chat lines, as well as a hint to how to easily get more of the custom ammo types
-Crafting recipes for the SandStorm in a Bottle, Flying Carpet, Slime Staff, and Shark Tooth Necklace

--Changed:
-Opening a Terraria Co Supply Crate now has a chance to drop a Gold Ring, Lucky Coin, and Discount Card
-recipe changes for Bundle of Javelin Bases, Prismal Ore, and Luminary Wings
-Blazewyrm's set bonus explosion has been changed, mostly nerfed
-Omega Sigil is now an accessory, might be overpowered, let me know
-Buffed XOP FlameThrower: Does not cause immunity frames with other projectiles
-Buffed Mudrock Crasher: which got a rework-Nerfed SBC Cannon/Mk2: SBC Cannonballs don't crit, crits on the SBC Cannon and MK2 were honestly way too overpowered given the weapons' low rate of fire and very high damage, however, they ignore enemy immunity frames and the explosion CAN crit
-Spider Queen's Acid Venom has been buffed to do a type of debuff splash damage, this applies to player projectiles too
-Cosmic Cocktail has been reworked-it now ignores immunity frames, projectiles do variable damage, and is slower and does less base damage
-True Moonlight's projectiles hit slightly slower and penetrate less, the movement speed of said projectiles doesn't change, and the weapon charges faster with a quick melee swing speed, Lv3 Slashwave hits less often and homes from a greater distance
-Assassin and Elite Emblem have been reworked as the Omni-Magnet now uses the grab bonus
-Novus, Notchvus, and Dosed arrows have had their homing adjusted
-Starfish Burster's and Starfish Blaster's Starfish projectiles all hit on a target

--Fixed:
-Spider Queen not dropping any Gold
-Accessories that were stackable
-Not really a fix, but updating framework for 1.4, so grenades don't end up doing ranged damage when the update comes
-Being able to Dos enemies in gas who were already combusted
-The F.S.R.G not being able to get crits
-True Moonlight and Surt, the projectiles don't interfer with the melee hits anymore
-Star Burster and Starfish-Burster taking mana when you have no ammo left
-Optimized Homing Arrow code a bit, should lead to better FPS with alot of enemies on screen
-Other smaller bugs
Like always, downloads on the front page and on the mod browser <3

SGAmod 2.30 has been released
This one is mostly adjustments to the mod and to keep actively working on it, I am working on the next larger update, but it won't be ready for a while

2.30-(3/2/20)-Patch #3:

--Changed:

-Lunar Cascade costs slightly more mana
-Adjusted prices of alot of items
-Because of some changed code, Cirno's homing bolts behave differently
-Damage on some weapons
-Removed most bonus damage off the Grenadier's Glove, this weapon is already very strong for its uses especially now that you can get powerful speed prefixes on thrower items
-Nerfed some of the Dank gear

--Fixed:

-Issues with the Corroded Shield
-Cursed Flame blocks being used in crafting recipes instead of Cursed Flames
-Improving FPS on various projectiles that use nearby enemy/player detection
-Massacre Prototype didn't cost any mana
-Acid Scepter's shots staying in place when you died
-Grenadier's Glove not receiving any bonus velocity from throwing velocity; I tend to forget this one isn't automatically added to throwing weapons

Hey this is yet another reminder that I am still looking for gameplay feedback to help make the mod better and am still looking for "active" spriters who are not busy 24/7, once again, please try out the mod, and if you like what you see, hit me up so we can work together

How do you get Caliburn's compass? I really need it to find other shrines, because searching for them in a large world can take an eternity.
By the way, today I've fought one of the Caliburn's guardians. The fight was interesting, but, in my oponion, too hard for a pre Eye Of Cthulhu boss. Also, I thing, that its AI should be tweaked a bit: right now this boss tries to stay away from a player for yhe most of time (by the way, I mean TypeC one (I extracted your mod in search of information about Caliburn compass, if you want to know, hiw I found out about its "name"), and I haven't fought other ones, so it may just be only this one's problem), while its loot is useful only for melee players, who can't deal a lot of damage to him because most of melee weapons doesn't have a long range (gor example, I had an Arkhalis, which one of the most powerful earlygame melee weapons, but I wasn't able to use it properly during this bossfight). Also this spirit's sprite (and this version of Caliburn's obviously) sprite should be redone, in my opinion. It looks too different from the other Caliburns, which doesn't look very good, in my opinion, because other Caliburns look pretty similar and because they have the same names and have pretty much the same ways of obtaining, it is a good idea for them to looks pretty much the same. (Also the texture itself has weird shading and black outlines. I mean, it is not the biggest problem (especially because you have lack of spriters and possibly you took this Caliburn's sprite from another game), but probably something, you should try to fix.

How do you get Caliburn's compass? I really need it to find other shrines, because searching for them in a large world can take an eternity.
By the way, today I've fought one of the Caliburn's guardians. The fight was interesting, but, in my oponion, too hard for a pre Eye Of Cthulhu boss. Also, I thing, that its AI should be tweaked a bit: right now this boss tries to stay away from a player for yhe most of time (by the way, I mean TypeC one (I extracted your mod in search of information about Caliburn compass, if you want to know, hiw I found out about its "name"), and I haven't fought other ones, so it may just be only this one's problem), while its loot is useful only for melee players, who can't deal a lot of damage to him because most of melee weapons doesn't have a long range (gor example, I had an Arkhalis, which one of the most powerful earlygame melee weapons, but I wasn't able to use it properly during this bossfight). Also this spirit's sprite (and this version of Caliburn's obviously) sprite should be redone, in my opinion. It looks too different from the other Caliburns, which doesn't look very good, in my opinion, because other Caliburns look pretty similar and because they have the same names and have pretty much the same ways of obtaining, it is a good idea for them to looks pretty much the same. (Also the texture itself has weird shading and black outlines. I mean, it is not the biggest problem (especially because you have lack of spriters and possibly you took this Caliburn's sprite from another game), but probably something, you should try to fix.
A: Draken sells it after you get enough expertise, in otherwords play the game normally.
Your going to learn real fast that just because these are early game bosses, they are NOT meant to be easier, there's already a solid warning the mod is meant to be challenging.
These bosses however, deal way too much damage even in my opinion, so I should lower in the next update. All the fights play out the same, however each spirit is stronger than the last one (you can fight them in any order)
I don't mind you taking the mod apart, it is open source after all, there's a github and everything.
B: your talking to someone who almost never plays melee lol, so I tend to not consider things like that, However if you got an idea to make it more ideal for non-melee players to fight this boss via loot I'm all ears
C: Yeah I'm completely aware of this, and I would love to have not only TypeC's sprites replaced, but the shrine for it too, all 3 swords+shrines were sprited by different people, that's why there's 3 swords with the same name, and while the Caliburns exist, but this one... never really fit in, and it's some of the few sprites in the mod that fall onto question territory if I'm even allowed to use it (only by permission to use havoc mod content, the spriter was not contacted)
As soon as I can get someone to resprite it, I will.

A: Draken sells it after you get enough expertise, in otherwords play the game normally.
Your going to learn real fast that just because these are early game bosses, they are NOT meant to be easier, there's already a solid warning the mod is meant to be challenging.
These bosses however, deal way too much damage even in my opinion, so I should lower in the next update. All the fights play out the same, however each spirit is stronger than the last one (you can fight them in any order)
I don't mind you taking the mod apart, it is open source after all, there's a github and everything.
B: your talking to someone who almost never plays melee lol, so I tend to not consider things like that, However if you got an idea to make it more ideal for non-melee players to fight this boss via loot I'm all ears
C: Yeah I'm completely aware of this, and I would love to have not only TypeC's sprites replaced, but the shrine for it too, all 3 swords+shrines were sprited by different people, that's why there's 3 swords with the same name, and while the Caliburns exist, but this one... never really fit in, and it's some of the few sprites in the mod that fall onto question territory if I'm even allowed to use it (only by permission to use havoc mod content, the spriter was not contacted)
As soon as I can get someone to resprite it, I will.
As a way to make Caliburn Spirit better for melee class is to make it not fly away very far from the player (like Retinaser does, making it nearly impossible to kill with True melee).
Also, are thre any special requirements for Draken to move in (I mean something like "kill ..." or "have ... in your inventory", etc.)? It would be nice if you posted answers for questions like this one on this mod's page, so that people would easily find answers. (if you have done a wiki page or page, and I haven't found out about that, tell me, please).

As a way to make Caliburn Spirit better for melee class is to make it not fly away very far from the player (like Retinaser does, making it nearly impossible to kill with True melee).
Also, are thre any special requirements for Draken to move in (I mean something like "kill ..." or "have ... in your inventory", etc.)? It would be nice if you posted answers for questions like this one on this mod's page, so that people would easily find answers. (if you have done a wiki page or page, and I haven't found out about that, tell me, please).
I think I should alter the AI a bit so the sword will float near the player when it isn't going to shoot a projectile; at close distance that would pretty much be a cheap hit :/

Draken moves in once you have atleast 1 Expertise, I *really* should have mentioned that sooner, sorry, but hey atleast it's not like I'm forcing people to join discords for info, right?? (bad joke)
The mod doesn't have info anywhere else, the GitHub as of rn is just the source code and the FULL change log, the ingame description is a shortened version of the more recent changelogs

I am downloading this right now!
I would have done it a while ago, but I've been off terraria for a long time and had no idea about the release!
Oh hey welcome back!

Yeah the release was over a month ago, when I came back to Terraria to finish what I started, where I spend around 2.5 months working on the mod non-stop to get it ready
Here's a document that details why I left, and why I came back

Well, I'm really happy you did come back to finish it!
Quick question: What is the name on the mod browser? I can't find it by typing SGAmod.

Well, I'm really happy you did come back to finish it!
Quick question: What is the name on the mod browser? I can't find it by typing SGAmod.
Thank you!
yeah that's because I used these items for the title (maybe not the brightest idea, but it looks cool!) However for the time being, type "Caliburn" and you should find it

Last edited:
I've been rather quiet about SGAmod, so here's an update on what's going on:

This update (1.4) is taking longer than expected (ironic, given Journey's end taking a while lol), it will be the largest update by far for the mod and addresses alot of fixes and balance changes too! (The changelog is very large)
The largest time factor however has been the final boss, which I think I might be going overboard on, here's some spoilers:
h3mYrZb.png

ymW9Q2A.png

Several of my spriters have kinda, quit, in one way or another, or basically are so inactive they practically don't even count.

-Mr Creeper seems to be to focused on being a twitch streamer and questioning my mod's designs
-Lone Star kinda went missing after making *one* sprite
-Anarog basically doesn't have a PC anymore
Despite this, I've had enough help that sprites arn't an issue, but rather my motivation to finish the mod in a state where it's not missing a ton of content (given how many buff icons are placeholders... that's a laugh)

And finally, I've been doing coding jobs for others in exchange for sprites because that's literally what it takes to get good help, I know @Corinna deserves more support than they're getting considering they're one of the few who can write custom shaders (something beyond my ability), but I digress, the mod is actively being worked on and if it were dead I'm not going to deny it like Echos of the Ancients or anything like that, I'll just say it's over (or so I thought anyways)

As for when the release will happen? I donno, maybe next month, it won't launch with much content past the final boss sadly, but you'll have a reward regardless

And finally, when the mod does launch, I'll be reopening the a discord for it, as it is required to grow.

Back
Top Bottom