tModLoader Wireless

gardenapple

Steampunker
NOTE: I no longer maintain this project! More info here: tModLoader - Vanilla Tweaks + other little tweak mods
The project is now maintained by @Pop000100. It will get updates for newer versions of tModLoader but newer features won't be added.

Are you tired of running thousands of wires across teleporters? Or do you just want to make your wiring more tidy and compact?

Then you're in luck, because Wireless is a mod all about wireless signals! This isn't an original idea of course, but to my knowledge this is the first tModLoader mod that does anything like this.

How to use
The two basic items in this mod are
YvFOfPW.png
Wireless Transmitters and
gnXd6Yq.png
Wireless Receivers (sold by the Steampunker). Transmitters send signals to Receivers. Pretty simple, right?

hiV3BOw.png
78kmRD4.png

You'll also need a
Ouo2HTD.png
Coordinate Configurator to link the Receiver and the Transmitter together. Simply click on both of them while holding the Configurator tool in your hand, and you should see the message "Linked succesfully!" appear in chat. Now that they are linked, they should work!

MAWW0WG.png

Note that you don't necessarily need the Lever: you can activate the Transmitter with just your hand. However, right-clicking with your hand only activates the wires on the receiving end, which means Teleporters won't work. Use a Pressure Plate or Switch instead.

Transmitters work perfectly well with different Wire colors.

Wireless Transceiver
New in Wireless v1.4: You can combine a Transmitter and a Receiver at a Tinkerer's Workshop to get a
yNDkrZe.png
Wireless Transceiver! It allows you to send 2-way signals much faster and easier.

Wireless Remote
Another useful item is the
FSllElx.png
Wireless Remote. It's basically a handheld Transmitter: you link it to a Receiver, and then whenever you use it from your inventory, a wire signal will be sent.

It needs to be crafted by combining a Coordinate Configurator and a Wireless Transmitter at the Tinkerer's Workshop.

Download
  • Mod Browser
  • Steam Workshop: link
  • GitHub (old versions): link
The source code is available on GitHub, if you're curious on how it works.

If you like the mod and want to support it, you can do it by placing this mod logo into your signature!
Code:
[URL='https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/wireless.48915/page-5'][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/2qhctZm.png[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:
That is a good mod.

Just an idea:
you could combine a teleporter+transmitter+receiver to make a wireless teleporter block. (or something like that). And also, maybe wireless actuators.

That is a good mod.

Just an idea:
you could combine a teleporter+transmitter+receiver to make a wireless teleporter block. (or something like that). And also, maybe wireless actuators.

There is really no need for wireless anything when you have transmiters and recievers.

i agree with imksushi wireless teleports would be amazing considering i am a person who makes a teleporter hub computer thingy to teleport accross my world and having to add an extra spacefor a transmitter next to the teleporter would be a bit confusing for me since i use someone elses design this is the only thing stopping me form using this mod XD

I'm not planning to have Wireless Teleporters. I kinda want players to do at least some wiring.

Besides, you can always hide Transmitters/Receivers in a wall. Unlike Timers, they don't glow in the dark.

So how exactly would you actually connect teleporters together? And for that matter...teleport onto a pad remotely?

From my understanding of how it traditionally works...you need to actually be On the pad prior to it activating in order to teleport. So having wireless tech does absolutely nothing for that ( though the remote itself is really handy ). The switch and pad are going to be essentially right next to each other regardless..so there's no difference in setup.

Linking Teleporters seems more "convoluted", in that you are basically setting up one teleporter as a transmitter, and the other as the receiver. Does that even work both ways? ( not from the description ). Linking them would be a chore.....almost as much as just laying down wire...because if you have teleporters 2000 units away....you've still got to treck that distance as if you were wiring anyway, and while holding the coordinate config the entire time.

It seems to me...to get teleporters to chain together, you would have to double, triple, quadruple up on transmitters / receivers so that each pad functioned as both. Which would make a lot of work for each hub. Or I'm simply not understanding the functionality of the mod / wiring in general.

On a side note, will the mod need to be updated for the latest tModLoader? ( v0.8.3.4 )

Linking Teleporters seems more "convoluted", in that you are basically setting up one teleporter as a transmitter, and the other as the receiver. Does that even work both ways? ( not from the description ). Linking them would be a chore.....almost as much as just laying down wire...because if you have teleporters 2000 units away....you've still got to treck that distance as if you were wiring anyway, and while holding the coordinate config the entire time.

It seems to me...to get teleporters to chain together, you would have to double, triple, quadruple up on transmitters / receivers so that each pad functioned as both. Which would make a lot of work for each hub. Or I'm simply not understanding the functionality of the mod / wiring in general.

You actually don't need to hang onto the config the whole time. It's more like flipping a switch than it is like actually running the wire, which makes the process immensely faster since you only need to travel from Point A to Point B, instead of also having to carefully lay out wires the whole way there. So it's still super practical from that standpoint. The only thing I'm not sure on is whether an unfinished link persists through death (meaning if you die on the way to the receiver after starting the link).

So how exactly would you actually connect teleporters together? And for that matter...teleport onto a pad remotely?

From my understanding of how it traditionally works...you need to actually be On the pad prior to it activating in order to teleport. So having wireless tech does absolutely nothing for that ( though the remote itself is really handy ). The switch and pad are going to be essentially right next to each other regardless..so there's no difference in setup.
Yes, you do need to connect a Switch/Pressure Plate to activate the teleporter. It's the same setup as usual: you just replace the long wire between two Teleporters with a Transmitter/Receiver pair.

Linking Teleporters seems more "convoluted", in that you are basically setting up one teleporter as a transmitter, and the other as the receiver. Does that even work both ways? ( not from the description ).
You can make two-way wireless teleporters. You'll just have to place a Transmitter/Receiver pair on both sides.
So if you step on Teleporter A, the Transmitter A will send a signal to Receiver B, which will teleport you to Teleporter B. If you step on Teleporter B, it's vice versa. It's a bit hard to explain with text, so I'll probably add an example of this in the main post at some point.

Linking them would be a chore.....almost as much as just laying down wire...because if you have teleporters 2000 units away....you've still got to treck that distance as if you were wiring anyway, and while holding the coordinate config the entire time.
You'd still have to walk that distance anyway to place the other Teleporter.:happy: It just saves time and money since you don't need to lay down any wire between them.

On a side note, will the mod need to be updated for the latest tModLoader? ( v0.8.3.4 )
I haven't had time to play with the new Terraria/tML update, though I think my mod should work. I mean, nobody has complained so far.:)
The only thing I'm not sure on is whether an unfinished link persists through death (meaning if you die on the way to the receiver after starting the link).
The link is saved on the actual item, not on the player. So it still keeps the data even after you die or quit the world.
Also if you want, you can have multiple Configurators with different links. Or you can put them away in a Piggy Bank/Safe/Chest if you don't need them at the moment.

Doesn't work in Multiplayer. `:cry:
Will there be a fix for it?
The problem is in the way they are linked, basically they don't link with each other in multiplayer.
Oh, and also it doesn't work if you connect different color wire to receiver than transmitter.

You can make two-way wireless teleporters. You'll just have to place a Transmitter/Receiver pair on both sides.
So if you step on Teleporter A, the Transmitter A will send a signal to Receiver B, which will teleport you to Teleporter B. If you step on Teleporter B, it's vice versa. It's a bit hard to explain with text, so I'll probably add an example of this in the main post at some point.

I think I can do this using my teleporter setup (don't know how to embed pics, so pardon the less-than-optimal demonstration):

For the first one ("A", with the granite wall in the background), I put a transmitter on the right and a receiver on the left. Then on the other one ("B", in the ocean itself), I flip the two, which also makes it really easy to connect things:

Step 1: Click on the right unit at A with the config.
Step 2: Travel to B and click on the same right unit.
Step 3: Immediately click the left unit while still at B.
Step 4: Warp home and click the left unit for A.

Bam! Perfect 2-way connection that only requires you to travel once.

Attachments

• Side A.png
    Side A.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,772
  • Side B.png
    Side B.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,427
Doesn't work in Multiplayer. `:cry:
Will there be a fix for it?
The problem is in the way they are linked, basically they don't link with each other in multiplayer.
Fixing multiplayer is on my to-do list, that'll happen this weekend hopefully.
Oh, and also it doesn't work if you connect different color wire to receiver than transmitter.
That's intended. The receiver sends a signal with a specific color. This allows you to pretty much have 4 connections in one if you use different wire colors on both sides.

That's intended. The receiver sends a signal with a specific color. This allows you to pretty much have 4 connections in one if you use different wire colors on both sides.
Ohhh, didn't think of that.. That's pretty clever! This mod is epic. The only real thing vanilla Terraria is missing. Plus it blends well with the game. Thank you very much for the mod (and for the future fix)!

Wireless v1.0.2 is out on the Mod Browser!

Alright, so I think I fixed multiplayer. Sorry for the delay - I was super busy with homework this week so this took longer than I expected.
Also, breaking and replacing a Transmitter should properly delete it's link.

Wireless v1.0.3 is out!
(this one wasn't so delayed, huh?:))
This update mostly brings some minor quality-of-life changes.
  • You can click a Transmitter to activate manually instead of using a lever.
  • Added cursor tooltips when mousing over Transmitters (like Doors/Chests/Levers etc.)

So, not sure what's up, but I recently updated my Terraria mods via Mod Browser... however once updated the mods and it hit Loading Wireless, it crashed and burned Terraria. The bugged part of it's keeping me from opening TModLoader back open with Wireless installed as well. I know the filepath to delete the mod temporarily, but figured you want to know about the issue.

EDIT: Nevermind, it doesn't seem to be a Wireless issue, as removing it and it crashed at the end of the loading mods again...

Last edited:
EDIT: Nevermind, it doesn't seem to be a Wireless issue, as removing it and it crashed at the end of the loading mods again...[/QUOTE]

I also am having the same issue, and thought it was the most recent mod I installed, but it wasn't. Tmodloader is consistently crashing every time I open it. No clue how to fix it, and I'm gonna post about it on the tmodloader thread now as this really isn't connected to this mod. I'll say something there if I discover what's causing it

EDIT: Nevermind, it doesn't seem to be a Wireless issue, as removing it and it crashed at the end of the loading mods again...

I also am having the same issue, and thought it was the most recent mod I installed, but it wasn't. Tmodloader is consistently crashing every time I open it. No clue how to fix it, and I'm gonna post about it on the tmodloader thread now as this really isn't connected to this mod. I'll say something there if I discover what's causing it[/QUOTE]
The problem is with the Nightmares Unleashed mod. He's working on tracking it down. Until then, locate it in your documents>my games>terraria>modloader>mods folder and delete manually.

Back
Top Bottom