Story Wispy 2: Viverious the Old

What do you think so far?

• Great!

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Not bad, not bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eh... You could do better.

• Please don't ever write anything ever again.

• Total voters

Jack Morgan

Skeletron Prime
Read this first, if you haven't.

Frog here, with the very first chapter of The Tale of Wispy 2: Viverious the Old. I don't do well with schedules, but I hope to do one chapter per day on weekdays, and two chapters each day of the weekend. Anyway, this is the second installment of the Wispy short story series, out of a planned 3-5. Maybe when they're all complete I'll compile them all into one thread or something. But I digress! Here you are, complete with a cool divider:

9SVZCEo.png

~Chapter 1: Introductions~
Hello there, reader. You may call me Viverious. Or Viv, I mean, that's what everyone else calls me. Anyway, I'm here to tell you a story. I could spend all night telling you about it, but let's just get into it, eh?

"Viv! Vi-iiiv! Where aaare you?!"

I snicker, but not loudly enough to give away my position lying under the roots of one of the many trees surrounding my home. Me and Kat are playing hide-and-seek, and so far I'm winning. It's cuz I'm not afraid to get in the really dirty spots, but she is. She says that's why I'm sick all the time, but Ma says I was always sick, and I'm getting better. I don't really understand that, but oh well. Me and Kat -Or Katherine, which is her full name- play outside a lot now. She's my best friend. Well, really, my only friend, but who better to be my friend than the most beautiful girl in the whole wide world? Oh, but don't tell her I said that. It'll only go to her head. And well... Anyway, that's besides the point. As I poke my head out from the roots, a sound suddenly alarms me. It's a scream. It's Kat! I quickly scramble out from the tree's roots, and run to her. She's cornered into a think cluster of trees by a slime. Usually they don't come this close to the town, but this one must be braver than the others. For a second, I'm conflicted about whether I should help her or get Ma, which is what you're supposed to do when monsters come close to the village. But then I realize that by the time I run all the way to the house and back, the slime might hurt her! I run forward, remembering some of the older boys playing soccer at school. With a strong sweep of my foot, I send the pile of goo flying through the trees. Kat's crying, and I wrap my arms around her. Even though my mom says I was born weak, I'm always protecting her. Not that it bothers me, I enjoy it! Besides, if I'm useful to her, then she won't leave me. I'm really pale and skinny, so most people make fun of me. But I never stop trying! I eat healthy, I excersize... but anyway. I get Kat to the house and Ma takes her back to Kat's Ma, giving me a pat on the back for helping out. That makes my chest swell with pride. I may not be strong, but I'm determined. That's all that matters, right?

~Ten Years Later~

"Well, Viv, if you love her so much, why not just tell her?"
"Gerald, it's not that simple. In fact, it's really very complicated!"

Gerald is one of my oldest friends, beside Kat. An old man living in a large tower at the edge of town, I started my Knighthood fetching various items for him. Now that I'm officially just waiting for something important enough to be a final test comes up, I spend my days either talking to or helping the old geezer. His argument makes sense. I do love Kat, but there's a problem. So does everyone else. At school, they come from all directions, asking her out. She politely turns them all down, but I know I can't compete with the entirety of the world out there. And even if I could, there's a bigger problem. I'm just a lowly Knight-in-training. Someone like Kat could marry into nobility if she wanted. I don' want to drag her down with my worthless blood. Instead, I remain her silent guardian. They call me names when they don't think me or Kat are listening. Things I wouldn't repeat here. I don't let them bother me. As long as Kat puts up with me, the world can look at me and laugh. She's all I have, and honestly? She's all I want. 'Tis a sad life. But anyway, I lie on my cot. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I live in Gerald's tower. My parents died last year after the caravan they were aboard was attacked. Everyone else just said "Poor boy" and turned away, but Gerald gave me food and a place to stay. Not to mention he became my second ever friend. Really, it's all thanks to him that I am who I am today. Under his guidance I became tall and strong, one of the most powerful kids my age. I don't think I'll ever forget all that Gerald has done for me. Even though he's kinda nuts and wears purple pajamas everywhere, he's the closest thing I have to a father now. But I really should be getting to sleep. I have a lot of work tomorrow.

~End of Chapter 1~
9SVZCEo.png
It's a shorter chapter than what I usually write, but you'll see them get longer as I have more to write about. Anyway, that's that! See ya tomorrow! Tell me what you think about the new story thus far!

Last edited:
Chapter two, here I come! Just a warning: It'll be a while before we get into Wispy-related stuff in this story. I have my plans.
9SVZCEo.png

~Chapter 2: Slimed!~
My slumber was abruptly interrupted by a furious knocking at the door at some point in the future. Drearily wiping sleep from my eyes, I
went and opened it to see what was up. A messenger for the mayor, panting heavily. Before I could even ask him what the issue was, he pointed toward the edge of town. For a moment, as I recognized the plot of land that had used to be my home, some ancient memory tried to push forward. As I turned to go grab my armor and flail, the messenger spat out a sentence.

"H-Hurry... Katherine's in trouble."

I dunno if he was just saying that to spur me on, as everyone knows I quickly put aside anything for her, but it worked. My blood suddenly boiling, I rushed upstairs to get my flail. Crafted with a glittering blue metal, various enchantments allowed it to fly fast and smoothly. But I didn't have time to admire my weaponry. Ignoring my armor, I quickly pulled on some pants and a shirt, and bolted outside as fast as my legs could carry me. Sure enough, in the place of my childhood, many people were gathered around. None of them were warriors, and it was quick to see what they were staying back for. A giant slime about the size of a small house as well as a small horde of average slimes were crowding around Katherine, cornering her into a cluster of trees. I remembered a time like this, a long time ago. Huh. I walked forward it, swirling the flail over my head.

"Oi! Come pick on someone your own size!"

As it seemed to become aware of me -I honestly don't know if they have anything like eyes or not- I cast the flail in a long arc, smashing apart many of the little slimes. Reeling it back in, I then tossed it straight into the overgrown slime. Much to my disappointment, the slime seemed undisturbed as the spiked ball ran straight through it. Well ain't that wonderful. I was circling around it, trying to find a weak point or some way to kill the damn thing. Then I remembered one of many uses for slime gel: Torches. Slimes are very flammable. So, all I needed was a little fire... Except it was the middle of the day. Nobody was carrying around torches, and all the lanterns had been put out. I was going to have to improvise. Fortunately, Kat had gotten out of the way, and the thing was slow. I ran to the old woodpile, grabbing the axe I'd seen my late father use to fuel our fireplace many a cold winter day. I ran the tree in the middle of the property and started chopping. After a few good minutes, it slowly came crashing down on top of the gooey beast. At first it seemed like I'd squashed it, but then it started to ooze out from under it. Frantically looking for some way to finish it off, it soon became clear I didn't have to. I heard a few words spoken from behind me, and Gerald launched a spiraling burst of flame into the wounded monster. It exploded into one of the biggest bonfires I've ever seen, possible rivaling some of the festivals I've seen at the castle. Katherine was fine, albeit a bit spooked. She thanked me over and over for saving her, which brought a blush to my face. But soon the day was over, and I headed back to Gerald's to sleep.

~End of Chapter 2~
9SVZCEo.png
I should be sleeping right now but I woke up too early for that ha.

I decided not to be lazy after all. Enjoy some more Viv x Kat action. Oh yeah, I should probably mention that this particular story will combine both elements from Terraria that I skipped in the first one, as well as some traditional fairy-tale non-Terraria stuff.
9SVZCEo.png

~Chapter 3: Might be a Knight Tonight!~
I awoke the next morning to knocking at the door. Shrugging off the feeling of deja vu, I grabbed some pants and yanked the door open. Only a letter sat on the mat, staring up at me with the large King's Seal stamped on it. Curiously opening it, I scanned over the contents. Apparently stories of my triumph over the giant slime -King Slime, people were calling it- had spread to the ears of the King, and he wanted an official test of my strength to prove the rumors before he awarded me knighthood. Finally! I'd been waiting a long time to become a Knight, and now was my chance! After grabbing some stuff and cramming it into a bag, I headed off to tell Kat's house to tell her the good news before I departed. Giving her Ma a quick nod as I walked up the stairs, I found the door locked. Knocking on it patiently, I listened to try and get an idea what was going on.

"Ma! I'm busy!"
"Kat, it's me. Viv. Mind unlocking the door?"
"No! Uh, er... One sec!"

Waiting patiently by the door, I heard something that sounded like rustling cloth. Kat was a pretty good seamstress from what I knew, so I wondered what she was working on. After a moment the door flew open, and she was there, looking slightly out of breath.

"Hey there, Viv! What's up?"

Grinning, I handed her the letter. As she read it, her eyes widened and her mouth curved upward into a wide smile.

"Viv! You did it! I mean, it's about time that stuffy old king came across you, but you've been wanting this so long! Congratulations!

She jumped up to embrace me, which I gladly returned with a blush. After that was done, I sat my bag down.

"But anyway, looks like I'll be gone for a few days. Been a while since I was at the castle."

"Didn't you go up there a few years ago with Gerald one one of his trips?
"Yeah, to grab some things and all that. You've never been up there, have you?"
"Apparently Ma took my up there when I was really little, but I don't remember it at all." Suddenly her face lit up with an idea. "Hey! I know! Why don't you take me with you? There's nothing else to do in this place, so pleeeease?"

And well, how could I say no?

After getting permission from her Ma and grabbing some more supplies, we head out for the old road up to the Castle. I think that's another reason Kat likes to keep me around: I can carry a lot. For some reason Kat had to bring along more than three times as much stuff as me. I wonder if she would learn to travel lighter if she had to carry her own luggage, but I honestly don't know. Kat's frail, but she's also stubborn. I could see her getting stronger if for no better reason than to carry luggage. The thought of a tall and musclebound Kat carrying around bags of gear brings a smile to my face, and off we go, exchanging gossip and teasing one another. Just like the good ol' days.

~End of Chapter 3~
9SVZCEo.png
That's all for now, folks! See ya in a day.

Now, to hope the mods don't frown on one of us, due to wonderfully twisted imaginations~ `:D
*Points at Derunhi*
He did it!

In all seriousness, though, I'm kinda glad that bit stuck out. It will be more important later on, and I want people to remember it.

Alright, here we are. This chapter includes a joke between me and @Derunih, any of you that keep up with his Bunny Diary will probably recognize it.
9SVZCEo.png

~Chapter 4: It Begins~
Our journey to the Castle was pretty plain, honestly. We occasionally had to stop to let some slimes hop out of our way, but not much happened. However, as the tall towers of the King's abode loomed in the distance, a large white figure crouched over at the end of the road attracted my attention. Tapping on his shoulder, he turned... and I saw that for some odd, unthinkable reason, it was Gerald dressed up as a bunny.

"Uh... Gerald? Is that you?"

"Viv, shh... I have to save the buns!"

At that point he dashed into the surrounding forest on all fours, quickly disappearing from sight. I was confused, to say the least.

"W-was that Gerald? The wizard guy you live with?"
"Y'know, Kat, I think it might have been. I honestly think Gerald has decided to become a bunny."
"It's not a bad job decision, I suppose. Plus bunnies are cute."

After that random moment of insanity, we made our way up to the Castle's front gate. After showing the letter to the guard, we were allowed entrance. I'd been here before, but the Castle amazed me. What captured me even more was Kat, spinning around as she admired the beautiful architecture. I was probably the luckiest man in the whole world, to get to be the companion of her. But there was no time to admire her, as I was to report to the King's Court as soon as I could. After saying a quick goodbye and making plans to meet up at a local inn, I gave Kat some money and sent her on her way in the market square as I headed up to the Castle. As I walked in the huge doors, though, I felt something like a chill run down my spine. I was only able to turn my head fast enough to get a quick glance, but I saw one of the nobles staring at me from behind a column, before dashing away. I told myself he probably just wanted to get a look at the most recent Knigh candidate, but I had a bad feeling, deep in my gut. After finding an attendant and asking him about the man, I just got a shrug, and was told he was some kind of Baron or something. Shrugging it off, I went to find the King. I found him sitting at his throne, and our conversation went as such:

"Ah, so you're the new recruit, yes?"
"Yes, Your Majesty. I received your letter."
"Good, good. I have already heard the tales of your strength, but let's have a little test, eh?"

A few minutes later, I was wearing some simple armor and had a wooden club in hand. Across from me was one of the Knights I hoped to join, in similar attire. At the blow of a horn, it was on. He dashed at me, trying to get a swipe in at my stomach, but I dodged and swept a kick at his legs. As he stumbled back to his feet, I walked forward. He took a stance and prepared to block me, but I swung anyway, putting all my force into the blow. As the two clubs collided, there was a splintering "Crack!", and the Knight was tossed backwards as the sheer strength of my attack sent him off his feet.

"O-ho! It seems the tales are true! Well then, Viverious the Strong, you will be knighted tomorrow, at dawn!"

With a wide grin from ear to ear, I ran off to find Kat and tell her the fantastic news.

~End of Chapter 4~
9SVZCEo.png
Alright, I'll be back tomorrow. See y'alls.

I almost put this chapter off until tomorrow. Almost.
9SVZCEo.png

~Chapter 5: Gobbly-Gook~

The next day held much celebration and festivities. I danced, partied, drank, and feasted more than I ever had before. It was a fun time, to say the least. After a long day of merriment, I laid my head down to rest. We'd have to head back fairly early tomorrow, in order to get home in time for the merchant caravan that came through town every month or so. It wasn't wholly important, but I had to pick up a few things deliveries that I'd ordered. I slept well that night. When we awoke, we said goodbye to everyone we'd met, and headed off. The return journey, much like the original, was fairly peaceful. Plus we didn't have old men dressed as bunnies running around. Kat was grumbling a little, but she always did that when she had to get up. I'd known her long enough to know that she was not an early person, hah. Either way, as the town came into view, we picked up our pace and headed over. However, something was a bit off. The normal bustle and hustle of market day was absent. Kat headed back to her home, and I checked in to the mayor's office to ask around. When I walked in the doors, though, I saw one of the merchants sitting in a chair, looking spooked. I inquired to the attendant, and I learned that apparently the caravan had been attacked by Goblins. That in itself was interesting, as the Goblin War-Chiefs generally knew better than to stray this far, and when they did they went after towns and villages, not roving caravans. As I turned to go investigate ( Don't ask me why I made this decision, I'm a charitable guy, I guess ) the Mayor stopped me.

"Viv, you're going after an entire group of Goblins in nothing but the cloth on your back?"
"Uh... yes?"
"Son, you just became a Knight. Don't go getting yourself killed. I have some old -but well-forged- armor, why don't you take it?"

After thanking him, I strode out in my armor, flail in hand. The suit he'd given me was remarkably well made, and fit me perfectly. Consisting of metal gauntlets, shoulder pauldrons, a breastplate, and boots with chain mail covering up the rest along, all I needed was a helmet. But what I had would have to do, and I ran along the path, flail in hand. I fight was brewing, and I was determined to be at the center of it. Soon, I saw the smoke of flames up ahead. I dashed in, and struck my flail into the first figure there. As his body went flying, I lost my element of surprise. The remaining five Goblins were well prepared, and I knew I'd have a fight on my hands. One of them quickly dashed at my side, trying to jab those knives I've heard they love so much into my sides. I brought my elbow down on his head as I dodged, and he crumpled, limp. I threw myself at the nearest Warrior, and tossed a punch at his face. He was good, though, dodging with ease and kicking at my leg. As I dropped to one knee, I saw one of the two archers prepare an arrow, and I quickly grabbed the warrior and held him in front of me, letting the arrow take care of him for me. With all the strength I could muster, I tossed the body into the archer, taking him down. With a swing of my flail, the other soon joined him. As I rose to face the last one, a blast of purple energy slammed into my chest, tossing me back a good few yards. I could've just thrown something at him, but I had questions for him. Using the remains of the caravan for cover, I dashed for him, grabbing him by the throat and holding him into the air.

"Who are you working for?! Tell me!"

"Hehe... Wouldn't you like to know..."
"Listen to me! Who!?" At this, I squeezed harder, letting him know I meant business.

"Ack! Fine! Some guy who called himself Baron, alright!?"
"Thanks."

At this, I promptly broke his neck and started heading back to tell the townspeople it was safe.

~End of Chapter 5~
9SVZCEo.png
Alright, I'll be back tomorrow. See y'alls.

Why would you do that to us? `:cry:

Also, realised I got distracted ahlf way through reading ch4, oops. Read now, still amazing as ever.
Dunno, I procrastinate a lot.

It's okay, not much happens in ch4. We meet Baron and Viv becomes a knight, but mostly that was just filler so the chapter wasn't just Gerald being a bunny.

I wasn't feeling particularily inspired to write Viv today, so instead have some short Gerald. Although you might be surprised.
9SVZCEo.png

~Chapter 5.5: Gerald~

Suddenly, something tapped on my shoulder. Twisting, alarmed, I saw Viv staring down at me. Katherine was with him as well. Mind and heart racing, I spouted out the first thing that came to mind.

"Viv, shh... I have to save the buns!"

At this I quickly dashed into the forest. I was old, but still fit. Viv might think I'd gone insane, but better nuts than suspicious. The last thing I needed was him investigating me. I still wished I didn't have to wear the ridiculous suit, but things lurked in these forests. Dangerous things. At least the suit would disguise me, to some degree. After getting far enough from the roads, I stood back up and started walking about. There were many things of interest in this forest, but only one was on the agenda today. A cave. It wasn't hard to find, and I gave a short knock to let Maria know I was there. The cave was long and winding, but she'd hear it. Indeed, when I made my way down to the main chamber, she was there with tea in hand. After taking my seat and tea, we got down to business.

"What's going on, Gerald? As much as I wish you just dropped by to say hi, you never do. Nice outfit, by the way."
"Sorry, sorry. And the clothes are just a bit of security. Not everyone ages as well as you."
"Yeah, hush. Now stop beating around the bush and tell me what's going on."

I sighed, and set my tea down. "Maria... He's back. I felt it yesterday. A giant slime attacked Katherine, and slimes don't get that big on their own."
"Are you sure? Are you absolutely sure?" Her hands were shaking.
"I wish I wasn't. I don't know when this is all going down, but be ready. Get your disciples, make sure they're ready."
"Y-yeah. Don't worry, we'll be ready for that bastard."
"Language, language... Anyway, I have to go. I'll send you a message when I learn more."
"Alright. Take care of yourself, old man."
"Heh. Same to you, sis. I'll be back."

I took my leave soon afterward. I wasn't looking forward to the upcoming battle, but I'd make damn sure that Viv was ready for it.

~End of Chapter 5.5~
9SVZCEo.png
Viv will return tomorrow, see ya then. Hope y'alls don't mind the short and not very meaningful chapter.

Back
Top Bottom