Story Wispy 2: Viverious the Old

What do you think so far?

• Great!

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Not bad, not bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eh... You could do better.

• Please don't ever write anything ever again.

• Total voters
Ahem, dungeon crawling will resume shortly. Until then, enjoy some Gerald.
9SVZCEo.png

~Chapter 20.5: Aftermath~

I sat down in my chair, wincing slightly. Ouch. After the Castle incident, nothing was doing too well. It'd been over 300 years and none of us had fully recovered. Heh, for the first time I was feeling my age. I'd hurt my leg today chasing down some Goblins, and they hadn't gone without a good fight. Normally I would've just wiped them out with a swipe of my hand, but not anymore. I had no idea what he was doing, but I was sure it wasn't over. Still... I'd never seen all four Pillars raised at the same time. And it hadn't seemed to weaken him in the slightest. Dammit. We'd had to retreat, fast, but it hadn't been without losses. Maria's apprentice, the Lizhard, couldn't walk without his staff to support him. And then there was Viv. I pulled my crystal ball over to my lap. For probably the dozenth time today, I gazed into it, trying to find Viv. Only thing I got back was a deep, blue void. Dammit. I wanted to storm the Dungeon and get him out, we all did, but we no longer had the strength. We were only just able to get by above ground in the shadows, much less Baron's very realm. It terrified me, really. I felt bad for Viv. That day we were supposed to defeat Baron and bring back Katherine... It couldn't have gone worse. We were weakened, Baron was growing stronger by the day, Viv was lost to us, and Katherine was dead. I sighed and laid back.

"Well, this is pretty :red:ty."
"You're telling me, Maria. How'd your day go?"
"Hopefully not better than yours. Paladins are gone. I couldn't stop them."
"...:red:. How gone is 'Gone'?"
"They all went into the Dungeon. Probably be dead in a night, the fools."
"Damn. Even the young one, Sam-something? I had a good feeling about him."
"All of them. Straight cleared out. Didn't even leave anything behind at the hideout."
"Great. Just great. Please tell me you have some good news."
"Not much. Did find a nest of Fishrons, though. They could be useful."
"That's good, at least. I should get to bed. Long day of clearing out Goblins tomorrow, and my leg ain't helping."
"Good idea. I'll see you later, then. Bye, old man."
"Bye, sis."

As she walked out the door, I pulled my hat over my eyes and drifted off. My dreams were not pleasant ones.

~End of Chapter 20.5~
9SVZCEo.png
Hope you guys don't mind the Gerald chapter, I wanted more time and inspiration for the next Viv one.

Alright, chapter time.
9SVZCEo.png

~Chapter 21: A Voice in the Dark~
I stumbled back as Samuel easily blocked by punch. We'd been training for about six days now. At least, that's what our clock said. And by clock, I mean the small flower Samuel carried around that supposedly glowed when it was night time. I'm not too sure how accurate it is, but I don't have an particular reason to be suspicious of it, so we went by it. The last three days had been full of herb chewing, rigorous training, and some sleep. Mostly training, though. My body was sore all over, but I was definitely in better shape than I had been when Samuel had saved me. My memory was getting better, as well. I remembered bits and pieces. Bright greens, vivid blues, and laughter. Nothing in particular had come back to me, but Samuel said it was a start. I'm not entirely sure what we're training for, though. Samuel has so far proven to be an easy match for pretty much anything we've come across, easily smashing through hordes of the skeletons with just his shield. I hadn't seen him ever use his sword, which was interesting. I'd asked him about it, but he always shrugged it off. I figured that if it were important, he'd tell me. Either way, my days are full of hard work. We train mostly in a small room at the very depths of the Dungeon, where we didn't disturb the walking bones or the Chained. Speaking of whom, they were pretty terrifying, and I'd used to be one. Limp bodies hanging from chains attached to the ceiling. Every time I saw them it sent a shiver down my spine. They weren't all that lived down here, though. Every once in a while we'd encounter a huge spiked ball attached to a chain, swinging down from some overhand or another. They seemed to retract and reappear elsewhere, probably to catch people off guard. There were some other traps, but nothing too interesting. Mostly we just crept around, avoiding traps and staying out of the light. Not sure what it was about the light, but the dead seemed to be able to see you if you stepped in it. Not just a physical light, too, more like some kind of magical alarm system. I don't get it.

However, this day was different. As we crept down, staying silent as ghosts, we heard something. Not the moans of the Chained or the shrill screams of the dead, but a cry. A cry for help. Samuel shot me a look, and I shrugged back. Then we switched directions to a set of hallways that would take us closer to the voice, so I assumed we were investigating. I wasn't sure how safe it was, but Samuel obviously didn't care. After a few minutes of dead silence, we heard it again. Close, this time. It seemed to be coming from the next room, which we had identified as a library on one of our expeditions. Kicking the door open, we dashed into the room. It was... empty. Samuel shot me a confused look, but I had an odd feeling. Slightly nostalgic.

"Viv!"

I twisted around quickly, startled. There wasn't anyone there. Odd. I had a cold shiver running up and down my neck. I was unsure of what was going on, but it wasn't good.

"Viv, my boy!"

I turned again, but nothing was there. I was concerned. Samuel was gone. Oddly, the whole place was gone. It was dark. I stumbled around, and hands came out from the blackness to shake me. They were speaking to me, but I couldn't make out the words.

Then I heard a whistling. Followed by speaking.

"Ah, Viv. There you are."

The last thing I remembered before falling into darkness was Samuel holding my shoulders and screaming something. But then it was gone, and I returned to the darkness that is the mind.

~End of Chapter 21~
9SVZCEo.png
More this time tomorrow, you know the drill.

CHOO CHOO WISPY TRAIN. Also, if you dislike repetitive villains, well that's just too bad.
9SVZCEo.png

~Chapter 22: The Hunt~
When I awoke, it was dark. Samuel was gone. I heard a whooshing sound from somewhere behind me, and saw a low orange light skittering about. It made me a bit uneasy. A dry, hollow voice crackled through the darkness.

"Oh, good. I was afraid I might have killed you back there."
"Huh? Who are you? What's going on? Where's Samuel?"
"Hehehe! The Paladin's off on a bit of a trip. Heh. So, Viv, won't you join me for one last dance? And this time, no petty Dryad will be getting in the way. Just me and you."
"Viv? Why do I keep hearing that? Who is that?"
"Oh, that's rich. Hehe. You don't remember anything? Oh, haha! But we can't have that. You need to remember me before I kill you."
"What?"

Slowly, a figure stepped out of the dark. He wore a dirty black coat, and his hand seemed to be a huge, nasty hook crudely welded to his... bone. As I got a better look, I realized he was a skeleton. His skull was terribly warped, and one of his eyes had a small patch of metal covering it. He stepped over, lifting me up.

"I suppose you wouldn't recognize my appearance, but still... Hehehe. You did this to me, y'know. AND I'M GONNA DO THE SAME TO YOU!"

He tossed me away. I felt myself hit the wall, and heard a crack. I wasn't sure what it was, but I'd broken something. He swooped over, holding me back up and holding his hook to my cheek.

"Oh, haha! I can't wait to ruin you, you little brat! Haha! BUT FIRST YOU MUST SAY MY NAME! Come on, Viv! Remember! Remember your little :red: girl, and what the Baron did to her! COME ON! Remember what you and that :red:ing Dryad did to me! I WON'T LET YOU FORGET!"

He tossed me closer to the spike ball trap I'd been hearing. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh. I tried to get up. I couldn't. He aided me, holding me close to the path of the fatal trap.

"REMEMBER, DAMN IT!"

I had no idea what he was talking about. But I wasn't going to just let him kill me. Sticking my hand out, I grasped the swinging chain. Groaning as it struggled against my grip, I pulled. At first nothing came out of my effort, but then a slight scream of strained mechanics told me my plan was working. With one final pull, I kicked against the Skeleton's chest and ripped the chain from the wall. As I was propelled into the air, I swung the makeshift flail at him, flinging him aside. He staggered to his feet, chuckling.

"You remember, ya bastard? YA :red:IN' BETTER BE!"

I gave no reply but a continuation of my attack. Samuel had never given me anything similar to a flail to use, but it seemed all too familiar to me. The Skeleton blocked with his hook, but I gave him no chance to counterattack, dashing forward and kicking him into the far wall, where a red-hot saw blade ran on a small track. He rolled over, and pushed me over, and climbed atop me to pull me into the blade's path.

"SAY! MY! NAME!"

Suddenly, it all became clear to me, like my reality had shattered and the reality was shining in from above.

"HOUND!"

I rolled, kicking him in the chest. As he recoiled, I jumped up and grabbed him, before tossing him in the blade as it zipped by. There was a scatter of sparks, and the body was flung away, with a huge, burning cut through the skull. He didn't move any more. I limped away, clutching my side, where the pain was worst. I stumbled for a bit, and found a door. I tossed it open, and staggered into darkness.

~End of Chapter 22~
9SVZCEo.png

Hound uses worse language than most other characters. Sorry if it bothers you.

Missed yesterday due to Ded Freg going up. Go read that if you haven't, link in my sig.

9ToXTNQ.png

~Chapter 23: Deepest Darks~

I tripped over my own feet, tumbling down a small staircase. Everything was dark. The blackness surrounded me, thick enough that one might be able to cut it with a knife. I reached out gingerly, almost as if to grip the darkness. My hand did indeed grip something, but it wasn't the veil of shadow. It was... A hand? I felt it pulling away, as if to lead me somewhere. I struggled to my feet, clumsily lumbering in the direction that hand pulled me. I saw nothing, though. When I looked at my hand, I couldn't even see my own arm. Everything had blended into the void of darkness that enveloped us. I did not know what the hand was leading me too, but it was too late to turn back. However, my vision started to tint red, and my feet stumbled. And then a second time. And again. I barely lurched forward three more steps, and collapsed to the floor. The last thing I heard was a small sigh.

When I awoke, I could not even muster the strength to open my eyes. But I could feel warmth on my skin, and smell food being cooked as a small, female voice hummed. Odd. I tried to move, even the slightest amount, but my limbs refused me. I was very much shackled to my position by my own exhaustion. Even to breath was a chore. After a few minutes, a bottle was raised to my lips and a sticky, sweet liquid was poured into my mouth and down my throat. It lessened the pain, ever so slightly. But it also made me tired, much more tired than I had been before. Slowly, the warmth, humming, and everything else I was sensing faded as I fell into the realm of sleep. I had not realized how long it had been since I had last had a dream that wasn't a nightmare, and I slept better than I ever had before.

Awakening yet again, I was in much better condition than before, and I slowly opened my eyes. I was laying in a small room, similar in size to the one me and Samuel had lived in. But this one had a small makeshift fireplace, and multiple pieces of art hanging about. It was the closest thing to comfy I'd seen in forever. It was... Nice. Really, really nice.

"Oh good, you're up."

I looked to where the voice had originated from. I saw a smallish and thin woman wearing little more than a cloth wrapped around her upper chest and a loincloth. I stared at her for a few minutes, shocked to see another human being down here. Sure, there was Samuel, but he had never taken off his armor. I was relieved. It was probably the best sight I'd seen all my life.

"W-who are you?"
"My name's Sifios. You can call me Sif. You've probably met my father?"
"Father? Who's he?"
"He goes by the name of...

...Baron."

~End of Chapter 23~

9ToXTNQ.png
Shut up that cliffhanger is epic. Also hush Sif is totally PG. Also just reminding you to go read Ded Freg.

It's time again? Not a moment of rest for poor ol' me.
9ToXTNQ.png

~Chapter 24: The Baron's Daughter~
I almost sat up in surprise, but a pain deep in my side told me that wasn't a great idea. Still, I was shocked. The Baron's daughter?! Unthinkable!

"Wait... We're thinking of that same Baron, right?"

"Creepy old guy, wears a big cloak, is a murderous maniac? Yup."
"But... How?"
"He experiments with his power a lot. Even the Dungeon itself is one big hobby to him. I was no different."
"So you're..?"
"I suppose you might say an artificial human. Created via magic."
"But... Why?"

"No idea, honestly. He locked me down here as soon as it became clear to him that I wasn't his endlessly obedient slave."
"Why wouldn't he just kill you?"
"Ask yourself the same question. He prefers eternal suffering over death. Hence this place."
"What is this place, even?"
"The Dungeon. A huge underground facility where the living are dead and the dead live on. Every law of nature is turned on its head. A cosmic joke. Or a gross display of power. Knowing my father, probably the latter."

"How long have you been down here?"
"Few thousand years, maybe. Probably a lot more."
"...Oh. That old, huh?"
"You're not one to talk. Do you have any idea how long you've been down here? I do. I heard it when they hung you high."
"I... I'm not sure I want to know, actually."
"You don't. Trust me.

With that, she went back to preparing something on a small table covered in bottles and other alchemical instruments. I laid back, trying to bid myself to sleep. What happened instead was not exactly what I asked for, but interesting nonetheless. The brick walls around me crumbled, leaving me suspended in a void of stars. It had been lifetimes since I'd seen the stars. Suddenly, there was someone in front of me. But they were distorted, as if through an oddly shaped lens. I couldn't make out their figure, but they gave off a feel of... urgency. Slowly, the stars drooped and slid out of the sky, and the dark night sky parted to reveal the moon. It hovered there, covering me in a cruel light. It felt like more than the celestial body in the heavens I had come so familiar with. It felt... Alive. It didn't move or speak, but I felt as if it held me in a disapproving regard, and I was unsure of why. Slowly, the darkness swallowed it back up, and rain began to fall. It covered me, almost drowning me. As my lungs filled and the rain choked me, I struggled to reach to the sky, to breath. But no matter what I tried, I merely dragged myself down. I tried to cry for help, but that only allowed more water to rush in. My vision slowly started fading and gained a red tint, and I cried as I slipped away. And then everything was gone.

I was falling. I could see myself above me, struggling under a tide of tears. And then I wasn't falling, and all I could see in all directions was white. I tried to reach out, to find some other soul that had found itself as damned as my own, but whatever lurked in that endless whiteness avoided my touch. And then it slowly drifted away from me, as if it were a fog. I was standing in a vast emptiness, in the middle of a vast blue sky. I heard voices. I couldn't make them out, but they were familiar. Huh. Then, someone stood in front of me. Not the person from before, but someone I knew well. Someone I loved.

"Hello, Viv."
"Kat? But..."
"I'm dead, I know. I can't explain now. But you must listen to me. It is very important. Remember the moon.
"The moon? What does that mean?"

But it was too late. The walls were rising around me, returning me to my confines. At first, I was sure it had all been a dream. But I felt something nestled into my fist. I slowly raised my arm up, and opened my hand enough to peer at whatever this mysterious object was. A small pebble. Odd. I closed my hand back into a fist, and laid my arm back down. I needed to rest. And rest I did, letting the rushing tide of sleep wash over me and swallow me up.

~End of Chapter 24~
9ToXTNQ.png
I like writing weird vision/dream scenes. They're cool.

Sorry, amigos, but due to time being a thing, there's no Wispy going up tonight. It shall return tomorrow.

Time for Wispy to return as scheduled.
9ToXTNQ.png

~Chapter 25: A Light in the Dark~

The next day, when I awoke, Sif was nowhere to be found. The fire was still going, so I could only assume she hadn't been gone for long, so I didn't worry. I slowly and painfully pulled myself into a sitting position, and my new vantage point revealed a bookcase behind me that I hadn't been able to see before. I reached out to it, picking up the first thing to meet my hand. I flipped through a few pages, but they were all blank. I looked through the entire book, but only one page had anything written on it, toward the back. I rubbed my eyes and slowly read the scrawled writing.

The Noble rode to the Lady, and said:
"Beautiful Lady, will you be my Queen?"
The Lady was unfazed, and replied:
"Sir, what would you do for me?"
He stopped a moment to think, and gave his answer:
"I would pluck a thousand roses for you, fair Lady."
The Lady chuckled, and told the poor man:
"Nay, nay. Come back tomorrow with a better offer."
And so, the next day he rode up again.
"I would bake a thousand cakes for you, sweet Lady."
The Lady chuckled again, and told him:
And so, he returned on the next day.
"I would forge a thousand crowns for you, majestic Lady"
The Lady chuckled a third time, and told him:
And so, he rode up the next day, holding aloft a sword.
"I would kill a thousand men for you, cruel Lady."
The Lady chuckled, and told him:
"Only a thousand?"

I snapped the book shut, a bit confused by the eerie story. Oh well. As I tossed it back onto the shelf, I noticed a title written on the spine, that I hadn't noticed before. I picked it back up, peering at the faded writing.

"The Bloody Blue Baron."

I scratched my forehead, not sure what to make of it. Concerned about Sif's continued absence, I slowly hobbled over to the door cracked it open, and called out. I got no response. I wasn't ready to wander back into the darkness as of yet, so I shut the door and sat on my bed, perusing some of the other books that were there while I waited for her to return.

~End of Chapter 25~
9ToXTNQ.png
The words of that story came to me today at school so I figured why not.

The return of the Wispy.
9ToXTNQ.png

~Chapter 26: Reforged~
I sat up as I heard the door slowly creep open, and Sif staggered in with a large burlap sack slung over her shoulder. I raised my eye at her, and she tossed the bag over to me with a smirk.

"Alright, big boy, time to get to work."
"Huh?"
"You heard me. Go through that bag and pick out all the armor plates. We gotta work fast."

I didn't question her further, but instead went through and separated the bag into two piles, the bones, cloth, and other scrap in one, and armor, weapons and any other metal in the other. While I did so, Sif grabbed a few swords that shone with a dull red heat and tossed them into the fire, causing it to jump in size and heat. When I was done, she grabbed the swords and motioned for me to take the metal and follow her. We went outside, to a small block of stone brick I could assume was meant to serve as an anvil, and some other basic forge equipment. She handed me a small makeshift hammer, and motioned to the anvil.

"Alright. Take your armor off and get to work. Take these hot swords place them against the metal, and when it's hot enough, use it to patch up the plates in your armor. Be careful, though. The fire swords are magically designed to heat other things up, so don't burn yourself. You understand?"

I had only a fairly basic understanding of blacksmithing, but I understood it well enough to do what I was supposed to. My armor wasn't in terrible repair, so it only took an hour or two to fill in the gashes and tears. I still had a plentiful amount of spare metal, though, so I got to work adding some new plating and reinforcement to what was already there, taking care not to do anything I didn't trust myself not to screw up. I ended up giving all the plates a thin layer of silver, and edging them with gold from the various pieces of jewelry the dead had been carrying. Tucking a tattered green cloth I'd kept under my belt, I was finally done and fully equipped in a shining set of newly reforged armor. I stepped back inside, where Sif was sharpening a long, blue katana on my flail.

"Good, you're done. Grab your ball and lets go. There's something you need to see."

As she got up and walked out, I could only wonder what this "Something" was.

~End of Chapter 26~
9ToXTNQ.png
"Something"s are always fun.

Viv doesn't need to see it that bad, right?
9ToXTNQ.png

~Chapter 26.5: Sammy boy~
I ran down into the darkness, smashing through crowds of undead on my way to the destination. A few clung to my armor, gnawing on the plates, and I smote them back down where they belonged. I heard the stranger's maniacal laughing nearby. Good, I was close to him, but also bad, he was close to insanity. Kicking down a door, I saw what I'd been dreading: They were swarmed on top of him, too many for me to smash through. I sat down in the corner, helpless. Suddenly, I heard casual footsteps and words were spoken.

"Not a pretty sight, is it?"

I was shocked. I had no idea who it was, but a thin man stood before me. Most of his figure was obscured by shadow, but I could make out a bucket and mop.

"W-Who are you?"

"Well, someone has to clean up all the blood down here. Name's Patches. You don't need to know a whole lot else."
"You can't do anything to help that man right there, can you?"

He turned his head to the writhing mass of skeletons, as if just now noticing it and the insane laughter coming from within.

"Eh, there's a chance he'll recover his self awareness after he comes back, like that Goblin fellow. Not much I can do, though."
"...Please?"

He sighed, and held out his hand.

"Gimme your sword. I know it ain't working for you, but I know my way around these things."

I reluctantly slung my sword off my back, placing it in his hand. He ran his fingers across the silver blade, murmuring something. Then he handed it back to me.

"You'll only get a few swings. Use them carefully."

Before I could thank him, he was gone. Sword in hand, I yelled out a battle cry before leaping into the fight.

"BEGONE!"

~End of Chapter 26.5~
9ToXTNQ.png
Gotta love them Inter-Dimensional Demon Janitors.

I took a break to lessen some stress on my time schedule. It's alright now, so prepare for more Wispy.
9ToXTNQ.png

~Chapter 27: Baron Blitzer~
The path Sif led me on was a long and dark one. There were multiple times I completely lost my way, and was stuck with no visibility until she came to get me. According to her, she can see in the dark. Supposedly some feature of being a mad sorcerer's creation. Either way, one could not deny its usefulness. Eventually, though, we reached the end of the path. A huge, imposing door stood in front of us, which Sif pushed open with a short grunt. The mighty door swung open, revealing a dimly lit -but still lit, which was a refreshing change- hallway lined with large statues. Every one was different, but a few that caught my eye were an odd, armored figure in a jester styled hood, a skinny demonic looking figure wearing a weird mask, and a robed skeleton that somehow looked almost... grumpy. I wondered where the statues had come from, but it seemed that they were not the point we were here. A side corridor took us onto a balcony overlooking a huge room, illuminated by several huge flames and a shining golden medallion suspended in the air. I was about to say something, but Sif shushed me and motioned for me to watch. At first I wasn't sure what I supposed to look for, but then I heard the whistling. Baron, cloak flapping behind him, stood there in all his malicious glory. He knelt at the medallion, speaking something I was too far away to hear. And then the medallion spoke back.

Odd, otherworldly whispers dashed through the room, making it hard to concentrate. Slowly, they seemed to hone in, and focus on something. The whispering died down, and the medallion's shine dulled and it gained the color of mud. But the Baron seemed to have gained all he needed from it. He turned, almost seeing us before we ducked down. At first I though we were in the clear, but then he spoke.

"Enjoy the show, you two?"

We were swept off our feet, and Baron held us in the air, emitting a low chuckle. I tried to struggle, but dark blue flames danced across my armor, restraining me tighter than any iron shackle.

"Surprised you made it this far, actually. But alas, goodbye."

With a wave of his hand, a bolt of blue lighting thudded into my chest. Small cracks of shining light spread over my armor, forcing themselves into ever nook and cranny. Pain flared inside me as the shined bright, and then...

I was standing in the middle of a wide lake. I saw a figure standing in front of me, and went to ask him where I was. As I neared, I saw a wide pool of black smoke pouring from him. He didn't speak, but picked up a large sword and attacked me with an overhead sweep. I caught the blade, tossing it aside and punching the figure in the face. As it crumbled, I barely dodged an attack from behind. This figure had more of a shape, smoke nearly obscuring a set of black armor. The barrage of attackers continued, each one gaining more shape. Eventually, the final enemy fell. I could nearly make out what their true form, but it still wasn't clear enough. Then I heard footstep, but I couldn't make out who it was through the smoke. Instead, I grabbed a sword that had fallen nearby, and swept it over my head, bringing it down upon the foe. They caught it, though, and I saw who it was. I was unsure what to think as I realized it was myself I was fighting, and it was myself, clad in cruel black armor and smoke, that was the foe. But before I let my sword be tossed away, I pulled it back, and thrusted. The attack caught... -him? me?- by surprise and they fell. I looked down at my hand, and I snapped away from the delusion.

I had returned to the ground, and Baron was staring at me, clearly shocked. I had no idea what was going on, but I took an unarmed combat stance, paying no mind when my hands became consumed in dark blue flame. And then the fight was on.

~End of Chapter 27~
9ToXTNQ.png
Epic Viv v. Baron on equal terms battle coming tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom