PC With 1.3.1 coming up, I would like to speak on behalf of the PvP community. (read tl;dr)

Pikey

Official Terrarian
-With the 1.3 update, there has been an influx of acclaim. People high and low were very satisfied about what the update had to offer for PvE and building

-But to be honest, for many players on the server circuit, the update has been a bit disappointing.
Don't get me wrong, many aspects of the gameplay are much smoother. Player movement, liquid mechanics and such make the world more immersive.
To be honest though, there are only so many hours you can play of boss fighting, mining and building before the whole thing gets mundane.

-That's where public servers save the day. People go on server advertising websites to find new ways to enjoy terraria and experience it in a different way and the traffic on many of these servers is pretty impressive. What they usually have to offer are monstrous builds, commands, game modes and most importantly, PvP.

-PvP is what kept me playing Terraria long after I grew tired of building houses out of wood. 1.2.4.1 was an incredible update for PvP. The balancing was very close to flawless and dedicated players on servers would stay in game for hours on end to improve their technique with other players. What the whole PvP balance in 1.2.4.1 presented was a different kind of enjoyment of the game and a reach to audiences who weren't 100% interested in fighting AI's and first day Terraria.

-Now, to get to the point; I feel the 1.3 update struck a colossal blow to the PvP community around the servers. Weapons like, Meowmere, Terrarian, Star Wrath, Rainbow crystal staff, S.D.M.G and most importantly, The Last Prism have broken PvP beyond repair. I know, 3rd party server owners can disable these weapons, they could set restrictions and make everything balanced, but I believe that is a bit trivializing to the whole game. Many servers in 1.2.4.1 would only ban Coin Gun and Master Ninja Gear to balance everything out, but now, due to the sheer power of the new weapons, There are a huge amount of current restrictions on many public Terraria servers.

-I encourage any staff reading this to open up a 1.2.4.1 client and try some PvP. It is very fast paced and enjoyable to play. Try out a loadout of full Beetle Shell set, Avenger's emblem, Fishron wings, Celestial Stone, Tabi and Paladin's Shield. Three weapons effective in this game mode are the Heat Ray, Elf Melter and Paladin's Hammer. Also, a bat hook from maneuverability.

-Last update, many players would make do with the set stated above and would hone their skills on many servers. Once you try playing this little game mode, you will shortly realize the potential for appealing to a new market.

-What my suggestion is to developers at Re-Logic, is that they should strive to strike a balance in PvP to cater to a large amount of the community playing Terraria. I honestly believe this will restore the cult following and regain many players who have abandoned the game due to the imbalance created due to the update.

-To anyone reading this who agrees, give this a thumbs up and please help me make it clear that there is a need for a bit of a mix up in the next minor patch.

-tl;dr. Next update should cater to PvP gameplay like 1.2.4.1 did.

-Thank you for reading

There's a big problem with PVP. That is, to make it balanced, the power growth for PvE suffers. To keep everything fair on a PvP basis means to massively scale down and rethink PvE, and that's just no fun for a portion of the game that can fix its own problems with house rules and such. Being able to annihilate screen fulls of enemies is fun and rewarding considering the game is over at this point, I wouldn't want to see that taken away because it's making pvp servers unplayable. Just ban them.

There's a big problem with PVP. That is, to make it balanced, the power growth for PvE suffers. To keep everything fair on a PvP basis means to massively scale down and rethink PvE, and that's just no fun for a portion of the game that can fix its own problems with house rules and such. Being able to annihilate screen fulls of enemies is fun and rewarding considering the game is over at this point, I wouldn't want to see that taken away because it's making pvp servers unplayable. Just ban them.
Not really. Best example is 1.2.4.1 (in;b4 op is a 1.2.4.1 fanboy.)

The introduction of the Razorblade Typhoon, Tsunami, Bubble Gun and the mighty Flairon were very powerful tools allowing great assistance to the pve game. You could seriously take down nations with the Flairon when it came to PvE but it wasn't so unbelievably unbalanced in PvP either.

Also, first time you beat the moonlord, I suspect you didn't use any of his drops to do so. And I can wager that you had a fun time doing so. In my honest opinion, the new weapons are a little over powered in PvE, but on that note, so was the Flairon, Razorblade Typhoon and if you loaded Chain Gun with chlorophyte, you'd have an inaccurate gun never missing it's mark, yet, they were not broken in PvP. However, any Moonlord drop will spell instant doom to anyone who turns on PvP whilst on a server. My two cents.

Not really. Best example is 1.2.4.1 (in;b4 op is a 1.2.4.1 fanboy.)

The introduction of the Razorblade Typhoon, Tsunami, Bubble Gun and the mighty Flairon were very powerful tools allowing great assistance to the pve game. You could seriously take down nations with the Flairon when it came to PvE but it wasn't so unbelievably unbalanced in PvP either.

Also, first time you beat the moonlord, I suspect you didn't use any of his drops to do so. And I can wager that you had a fun time doing so. In my honest opinion, the new weapons are a little over powered in PvE, but on that note, so was the Flairon, Razorblade Typhoon and if you loaded Chain Gun with chlorophyte, you'd have an inaccurate gun never missing it's mark, yet, they were not broken in PvP. However, any Moonlord drop will spell instant doom to anyone who turns on PvP whilst on a server. My two cents.

Flairon still had a limited range, and weren't meant to be endgame supers because a final boss had been in plans since 1.2.

Now that we have our endboss, we have our endgame supers. Just don't use them. Keep using what works in PvP and keep everything else out, I don't think PvP has been a focal point in any update... pretty much ever, really.

I remember myself flying around and using the Paladin's Hammer to win against many players.

It'd be good to see something for PvP. There are new weapons, but most end-game stuff are way too OP to keep PvP balanced. Most of them would probably be banned there.

Well, but these are server related stuff. Still people can create stuff to make PvP more interesting(?).

I do agree that weapons such as Terrarian, Meowmere, Last Prism and all are indeed wildly overpowered when PvP play is concerned and all, but at the same time there are some issues in amongst that as well.

- All mentioned weapons in the OP post are in fact Moon Lord drops, and considering the Lord's nature of being the Final Boss and all, it's only natural that such weapons would be as powerful as they are.

- Such weapons are also vastly useful in the new expert mode, as well as against the Moon Lord himself. Some servers do indeed run expert mode and/or Boss Battles, so that goes back to the Pve aspect of things. You have to be very careful with the rebalancing of weapons for PvP so that you don't end up messing the entire thing up for Pve players as well (perhaps make the Defence stat far more effective in PvP only to reduce the sub-one second kills that a Last Prism can currently get? But even that has issues; what of weapons like Terra Blade? Buffing the defence against items like Last Prism would leave Terra Blade in the dust due to the DPS output of the Prism being vastly superior... Balancing weapons to suit all aspects isn't quite the easiest thing to accomplish. Unless of course it's possible to program in a 'Deals -40% Damage vs. Players' stat.)

- Since all weapons mentioned so far with having the problems are the Moon Lord drops, why not just have them banned amongst competitive PvP'ers (like a 'house rule' of sorts) or on servers? Said weapons clearly weren't designed for use in PvP for their very short TTK abilities, so why not just either impose a house rule amongst fellow PvPers or ask a server owner about restricting said weapons in PvP?

So yeah, while I do agree the Moon Lord drops are, in their current state, insanely overpowered in PvP, I can't quite think of any other weapons from 1.3 that deal such a short TTK. In that respect, I'd say that either banning Moon Lord items from use in servers as per server owner discretion is one alternative, while the other viable option would be to find a way to program in a 'Deals -x% Damage vs. Players' stat for all of them, perhaps for a future update. That nerfs the PvP effectiveness to a standard that people are more familiar with, while touching absolutely nothing in it's Pve effectiveness.

Add: Also, online, steam hosted servers or 3rd party servers, strikes on players do not register as often as they did last update. I would like to a fix.

To be honest though, there are only so many hours you can play of boss fighting, mining and building before the whole thing gets mundane.

I don't know, over a thousand hours here and never touched PvP. If I wanted to do PvP, there's better games for precisely that.

I would like to a fix.

IIRC, just saying 'fix it' isn't going to do anything.

If you truly want them to fix something that you believe is a problem, then it is best to investigate the issue yourself and pick out as much as you can about the problem. This is so they can track down the issues and fix them easier.

And as others have said, PvP is only broken if you let people use the stupidly powerful end-game stuff. Bring in some house rules and restrictions. If people on your server care that much for a decent PvP experience, they should understand the reasons for banning certain equipment. You could also bring in modifications to servers, such as upping the health limit so people aren't getting instagibbed. 1.2.4.1 set-ups still exist in 1.3.

What I do find ironic is that this thread was the same thing that was said when 1.2 was released. All of the nuke-like weapons, invisible people and such. So, my opinion on this? It is people getting attached to the way it is, then get uncomfortable when it all changes.

While I'm neither pvp player nor puzzle/adventure map player, I'd prefer 1.3.1 to be focused mostly on functions to improve puzzle/adventure maps.

Pretty sure Terraria was never intended to be balanced for PvP.

Honestly, in my opinion, the best time for Terraria PvP was 1.0.6.
The strongest weapons back then did kill other players quickly, but not so quickly as to be a contest of who can click on the other person first, and most projectiles were not too hard to dodge. And also the lack of wings kept fights on ground level.

What I do find ironic is that this thread was the same thing that was said when 1.2 was released. All of the nuke-like weapons, invisible people and such. So, my opinion on this? It is people getting attached to the way it is, then get uncomfortable when it all changes.
I challenge you to find a 1.2 weapon of any minipatch that matches anything the Moonlord drops. Moonlord drops are seriously next level in overpowered. Even when fighting mobs. Pre charge, it's a weapon that takes up 1/6 of the screen and in most cases, will kill everything in that area.
[DOUBLEPOST=1440077794,1440077346][/DOUBLEPOST]
Pretty sure Terraria was never intended to be balanced for PvP.

Honestly, in my opinion, the best time for Terraria PvP was 1.0.6.
The strongest weapons back then did kill other players quickly, but not so quickly as to be a contest of who can click on the other person first, and most projectiles were not too hard to dodge. And also the lack of wings kept fights on ground level.

I know that terraria wasn't meant to be balanced in regarding pvp, but I know that there is a community that spends the majority of their time doing so. I've stated that in the master post. Many other games have other activities that deviate from the main objective and can still be enjoyed regardless.

What I present is an unpopular opinion, but honestly, I have a few friends that refuse to play terraria because of how they find day 1 chopping of wood and preparing for zombies to be a bit mundane. Again, the market can be expanded if there was an ample allowance of different options to the game and not excessively overpowering items such as 90% of the moonlord drops.

The simple solution is to not use such weaponry. If players can't be arsed to control themselves and others in multiplayer, why should the devs babysit them? It's a waste of coding time which could be used to improve important things.

Two cents given, don't ask for more money. Have fun "proving" me "wrong" if you must.

The simple solution is to not use such weaponry. If players can't be arsed to control themselves and others in multiplayer, why should the devs babysit them? It's a waste of coding time which could be used to improve important things.

Two cents given, don't ask for more money. Have fun "proving" me "wrong" if you must.

I think this game is pretty much done at this point.

Fine. Clean up all the bugs (even though that is impossible). But don't add more stuff to this game. Where is terraria 2? Take some of these fine standup ideas and stuff terraria 2 with them. Otherwise what are you going to do with terraria 2? Is it gonna be like dungeon defenders 2?

I challenge you to find a 1.2 weapon of any minipatch that matches anything the Moonlord drops. Moonlord drops are seriously next level in overpowered. Even when fighting mobs. Pre charge, it's a weapon that takes up 1/6 of the screen and in most cases, will kill everything in that area.

That wasn't my point. I agree with you on this, except there still remains the fact that people from 1.0.6 weren't comfortable with 1.1 content, 1.1 with 1.2 and now 1.2 with 1.3, in terms of PvP.

My point being, you can still create PvP out of 1.3 content. It'll just be different than what you used to. Whether or not you should accept/like it I am not debating.

Theres PVP community? phtt...who knew XD.. but anyways i had this debate before in many threads and ill say this again as this game is exploration based and probably will not be balanced for pvp.....and even if they do, first make the game balanced enough that it will freaking play properly without lag, black screens, etc.

I feel you man! Heatray/paladin hammer/beam/snipe/pine/elfmelter etc days are over but alas those were the most fun. 1.2.4 was skill/movement intensive. 1.3 is a defensive oneshot fest that punishes aggressive play.

Supported!

- Kojiro

Back
Top Bottom