Console With Christmas coming up, I wonder if the Frost Moon update will here in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoticCharm

Terrarian
Assuming the same direction is being taken for the console versions as it was in PC, the 1.2.2 would be next on the list. Though the Frost Moon itself can be done any time, many of the items come from Christmas presents which can only be gotten between the 15th and 31st. Unless things have changed, you can't change the time on your system and go online at the same time, so we can only do the update with friends if it hits in the next month.

I know they mentioned they would release updates early next year, but I really hope this one comes out before then.

P.S.: In the event that somebody from 505 Games or Engine Software reads this, would it be possible to put a toggle in for the console versions that lets the host determine if an event is going on? You could basically put in a menu three options (no event, Halloween, Christmas) under either the options menu or when you load a world, which would override the check for what time of the year it is currently. I'm sure it's a feature that would be greatly appreciated by the majority of console users, but I don't know how difficult it would be to implement. It seems simple in theory, so I thought I'd ask.

Last edited:
I agree it would be an awesome Christmas present :) I don't know about adding that option in though, the whole changing the date on your Xbox/PC is technically an exploit and not how the game is supposed to be played :)

would be a nice surprise, but considering they said an update will come early next year, i think its safe to assume it was the 1.2.2 update they were talking about, which likely means no frost moon for christmas.

would be a nice surprise, but considering they said an update will come early next year, i think its safe to assume it was the 1.2.2 update they were talking about, which likely means no frost moon for christmas.
It might be 1.2.3 since they showed off the Glass kiln on the PS4/Xbox1 box cover ;)

I agree it would be an awesome Christmas present :) I don't know about adding that option in though, the whole changing the date on your Xbox/PC is technically an exploit andnot how the game is supposed to be played :)

A respectable observation. It's true that my solution wouldn't be how things are supposed to be done, and in a way it would diminish the value of those events much in the same way that people value certain items higher when they are harder to get.

Still, having to wait a full year to try out content that would already be in the game is odd in and of itself. For example, I still think it was a bit dumb when Borderlands 2 didn't let you fight the invincible bosses in the dlc more than once a day. It was done to balance the game and make the items seem more valuable, but instead what happened was that legit players who didn't go around hacking items just felt like they were being punished for being legit. That's not to mention that the items you got weren't even that good (most were slightly modified versions of legendaries that already existed).

To make a better example, it would be like if you put time limits on bosses instead of just farming for boss-summoning items. The golem is a good example. If you want to fight him again, then you have to either kill the lizards or make a new world to loot the chests. It's simple solution that works and you can fight him at a decent pace because of how the summoning items are balanced. Now imagine if after fighting him 10 times a message pops up saying "Sorry, but you have fought the Golem too many times. Please try again next month". I know I would be mad especially if I really wanted something like the picksaw. Now imagine if it wasn't just a month, but practically a whole year.

I get that we might lose some of the magic and we wouldn't have that "OMG an event is coming" feeling like we do now, but it would be nice to have some options.

From what I understand they're picking and choosing what content they're adding in the updates and not necessarily following the order that PC did things. This will allow them to give us stuff like the traveling merchant before giving us vanity and dye slots for accessories (just for example). So we might get high demand stuff earlier than you think :)
A respectable observation. It's true that my solution wouldn't be how things are supposed to be done, and in a way it would diminish the value of those events much in the same way that people value certain items higher when they are harder to get.

Still, having to wait a full year to try out content that would already be in the game is odd in and of itself. For example, I still think it was a bit dumb when Borderlands 2 didn't let you fight the invincible bosses in the dlc more than once a day. It was done to balance the game and make the items seem more valuable, but instead what happened was that legit players who didn't go around hacking items just felt like they were being punished for being legit. That's not to mention that the items you got weren't even that good (most were slightly modified versions of legendaries that already existed).

To make a better example, it would be like if you put time limits on bosses instead of just farming for boss-summoning items. The golem is a good example. If you want to fight him again, then you have to either kill the lizards or make a new world to loot the chests. It's simple solution that works and you can fight him at a decent pace because of how the summoning items are balanced. Now imagine if after fighting him 10 times a message pops up saying "Sorry, but you have fought the Golem too many times. Please try again next month". I know I would be mad especially if I really wanted something like the picksaw. Now imagine if it wasn't just a month, but practically a whole year.

I get that we might lose some of the magic and we wouldn't have that "OMG an event is coming" feeling like we do now, but it would be nice to have some options.
You make a good point but all the Halloween time 'event' adds is the items from goodie bags (vanity sets, starter tier weapons, black cat pet), special appearances for enemies, and pumpkins growing naturally. The Pumpkin Moon is available all year round and it's items are the only things that affect progression in any significant way. So keeping it restricted outside of exploits is the only way to maintain its value as allowing the conditions it creates to be available at all times would simply make them mundane. :)

Last edited:
From what I understand they're picking and choosing what content they're adding in the updates and not necessarily following the order that PC did things. This will allow them to give us stuff like the traveling merchant before giving us vanity and dye slots for accessories (just for example). So we might get high demand stuff earlier than you think :)

...that worries me quite a bit, to be honest.

if they were going in the same order, we'd know what to expect, but if they add randomly chosen content from the updates instead of the complete packages, would that not possibly screw some things up?

afterall, look what happened with the 1.2 teaser update that we got before the full update... the campfires ended up corrupting worlds upon finally moving to the full 1.2 update, didnt they?

imagine that happening all over again, or possibly an even worse outcome.

it worried me enough when they said they would be giving us the updates in bits and pieces at a time... but hearing that they will be randomly picking and choosing the bits and pieces, it could result in anything from them overlooking some small but important things, to completely screwing the game up.

im starting to get a bad feeling about things to come.

...that worries me quite a bit, to be honest.

if they were going in the same order, we'd know what to expect, but if they add randomly chosen content from the updates instead of the complete packages, would that not possibly screw some things up?

afterall, look what happened with the 1.2 teaser update that we got before the full update... the campfires ended up corrupting worlds upon finally moving to the full 1.2 update, didnt they?

imagine that happening all over again, or possibly an even worse outcome.

it worried me enough when they said they would be giving us the updates in bits and pieces at a time... but hearing that they will be randomly picking and choosing the bits and pieces, it could result in anything from them overlooking some small but important things, to completely screwing the game up.

im starting to get a bad feeling about things to come.
Hmm, hadn't thought about that. TBH, I'm not 100% sure how they'll be running the updates aside from what they've said already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom