With Great Power Comes Great Accessibility - Introducing Terraria's New Journey Mode

cool, but how the hell are adventure map makers going to make their things without having players cheat in items? why can't you convert the world to be playable in a mode like normal/expert/master?

How do you stop them from loading an Adventure Map with endgame gear now? You can't. You have to trust that anyone playing your map will want to follow the rules.

I think re-logic value the huge discoverability in terraria. By that I mean how it would take a player so long and multiple playthroughs to discover absolutely everything the game has to offer. Straight up creative mode kind of ruins this since the player can just go into creative mode and use all the items instead of discovering them. Journey Mode is a middle ground, where you still have to discover everything but you get creative mode eventually.

The intent was to keep Journey Mode as a game true to Terraria vs just a virtual 2D Lego building mode. Of course... once you research enough stuff, you will have earned the right to make your game just that. ;)

Also went into the Jungle and turned on Master + 10x spawns... doesn't this sound fun? :eek:

1588804501611.png

(I stopped looking when it hit 140)

I don't know... It's a cool system, but it's still not creative mode. We will still have to go through the incovenience of custom maps and mods to get a sort of creative mode? For me, it's disappointing.
Journeymode players retain their catalog of researched items between journey worlds, I'm assuming. While you can't exactly spawn enemies from what I can see, just about everything else is working towards a cohesive building tool. They want to limit how much exposure to content you receive as a newer player, but this system garuntees that "creative" isn't unlocked later down the road or fully disengaging as a gameplay style. Once you progress your player to the point that they can duplicate most blocks and items, it serves a lot of the same purpose for building as you'd expect. I'd suggest you get one cohesive Journeymode character on a journeymode free item map or the like sort if you're looking to jump right into building, but I actually really like how this current system could work as a playthrough in combination with towns and pylons. Usually building can be limited by resources and the tedium of finding what you want to use but not having it on hand. I also think that Journeymode works very well for structuring adventure maps, with the capacity to lock spawnrates, time, and weather as well as granting even more control over difficulty than before. I personally think Journeymode is the best "creative mode" this game could've asked for in terms of retaining Terraria's integrity and catering to map-makers with building tools and infinite resources.

(also, I'd hate to guess how many life crystals you'd need to research to duplicate them...)

My one caveat is that you can't bring non-journeymode players to journey worlds. While you can argue that this is to limit exploiting Journeymode for free items, the research system helps to mitigate the issue with that and such worlds and servers are already abundant enough to undo all efforts to lock progression in a single world. I think leaving Journey worlds open would put map-makers at ease knowing that their players won't go off and change the difficulty or abuse the benefits of Journeymode. I think limiting Journeymode would prevent it from become a built-in admin tool for servers, in which I'd expect plugins to enable limiting certain journeymode players from joining. There's quite a bit more potential behind opening the world to all characters, even if we limit journeymode characters themselves. Journeymode itself is very strong and unique as a concept, but I just think that the applications could be broadened in these specific cases.

I think re-logic value the huge discoverability in terraria. By that I mean how it would take a player so long and multiple playthroughs to discover absolutely everything the game has to offer. Straight up creative mode kind of ruins this since the player can just go into creative mode and use all the items instead of discovering them. Journey Mode is a middle ground, where you still have to discover everything but you get creative mode eventually.

What about people who already know the game inside out? Creative mode doesn't ruin anything, it's just a different way to play. If you don't like it, don't use it. Again, I like the level of customization journey mode adds; but it isn't complete. Even for older players, you have to go through an annoying ''collection'' proccess to get to the building . The way I see it, that's trying to dictate how players enjoy the game, and that's never good.

overral, it's not taking anything away, so it's not like the game is getting worse. Far from that, it's a new feature and I'm sure some people might enjoy it. But I really think that's a missed opportunity.

What about people who already know the game inside out? Creative mode doesn't ruin anything, it's just a different way to play. If you don't like it, don't use it. Again, I like the level of customization journey mode adds; but it isn't complete. Even for older players, you have to go through an annoying ''collection'' proccess to get to the building . The way I see it, that's trying to dictate how players enjoy the game, and that's never good.
I don't think it's accurate to claim that dictating how players enjoy the game is not good. Relogic designs the game from the bottom up, and everything they DO dictates how the game is played and how enjoyable it can be. I can say from experience that I wouldn't want to have exposure to creative the moment I started a game like this. I did that when I started playing Terraria with multiplayer, and I regret it. Creative mode is a pandora's box for new players, and the goal here was never to KEEP you working for it. The goal is to keep that box out of reach without learning the game in the process.
As I said in my previous post, they could have easily granted "Creative" as an unlockable feature upon completing the game, sorta' like how you can pick the world evil after hardmode. However, that won't be engaging and representative of Terraria as a whole. Building tends to lose meaning without the game as a whole, and I think starting a new world with the powers of god won't make for a good experience in the longrun when you can build up that world as you progress. Journeymode is Terraria, but with a different take on how the environment affects the player. Journeymode doesn't say you can't get all the items you want, it just says you gotta' know the game first. Anyone can get unlimited items with mods or maps, but not every player knows where to go to do that...

Also, with that in mind, I don't think Journeymode "dictates" how you enjoy Terraria. It's Terraria. You enjoy it as it is, and Journeymode is a reward. You could say they want to "dictate" our enjoyment by *not* adding Journeymode to begin with, but never did Relogic say you can or cannot do this or that. If you really wanted to (and somehow could, despite how Terraria is built) exploit through the game, nobody is stopping you from doing that. We're getting Tmodloader as free DLC, and there's your answer. Nobody is dictating you. Relogic wants to give you control, but also allow you to explore the game the way they envision it.

The intent was to keep Journey Mode as a game true to Terraria vs just a virtual 2D Lego building mode. Of course... once you research enough stuff, you will have earned the right to make your game just that. ;)
But that's what Lego Worlds basically is. This is 2D Lego Worlds. :dryadtongue:

I do quite like the whole adventure and earning it as you go type of approach to a creative mode like this.

This sounds like such a great idea. I mean, you get to have infinite stuff of various kinds, so grinding to find a particular building material mostly goes away after a time. And the expanded block placement is perfect for building. And it's all done in a context that's still meaningfully a game.

There's... just one problem: practicality.

Back in my early 1.1 days, I eventually exhausted the capacity of my base, so I rolled up a world specifically to store stuff in. But I also built a grand castle, decorated to the nines. Why? Because if I'm going to store all my stuff somewhere, it should look nice.

So 1.2 comes out, and there's more stuff in the game, so more stuff gets shoved into my castle. And 1.3 comes out, only there's so much stuff that it overflowed what I could comfortably store and organize.

So I rolled up another new world, into which I built an even bigger storage chamber, and an even bigger castle (in-progress; it's not done yet. I paused construction to wait for block-swap from 1.3.6), as well as several farms. I used a map editor to copy/paste my stuff over, and viola: I have a massive vault of stuff going back for many years.

And not one item of which can find its way into Journey Mode.

JM characters can't visit non-JM worlds and vice-versa. All of those years of loot are utterly useless to Journey Mode.

It's not really about starting from scratch; I do that at least once in every Terraria version drop. The problem is that this years worth of loot will never be added to any JM collection I make.

I don't build fancy stuff just because; I build fancy stuff because I have some in-game need to build a thing, so I may as well make it fancy. What's the point of JM's near-infinite building possibilities... if I cannot use anything I build there?

I like the idea, but so long as all my years of stuff lives in a non-Journey Mode world, JM will just be a minor distraction to me. A place where maybe I can build some nice things, but it's never going to be a place I live.

If it's between my loot and Journey Mode, that's not even a question.

This looks INCREDIBLE. My only wish as a player would be some sort of option to lock your journey mode settings for a character during character creation. So if I decided to do a challenge playthrough and got tempted to duplicate items instead of grinding, or got tempted to turn the difficulty down (or even turn on god mode) for the duke fishron fight, I wouldn't have an option to change once I've decided! I think this would be a huge incentive for me to use journey mode if this was some sort of small tweak!

Otherwise, I'm so happy with the way journey mode was constructed and all the time and effort you guys have poured out into it. <3

So, it's pretty much integrating Cheat Sheet and Hero's Mod to the game, with less features overall and a few more restrictions, added as gameplay padding.
For PC players that can use mods it's totally useless.

For the other platforms, it's a freaking godsend, terrific news!
Too bad it's still months/years away.

So, it's pretty much integrating Cheat Sheet and Hero's Mod to the game, with less features overall and a few more restrictions, added as gameplay padding.
For PC players that can use mods it's totally useless.

For the other platforms, it's a freaking godsend, terrific news!
Too bad it's still months/years away.
Well there are more things that this does that those mods dont do such as Difficulty sliders and not having you have all items from the get go but does it matter?
They are doing what they can for the best vanilla experience and my god are they doing it!

Back
Top Bottom