With Great Power Comes Great Accessibility - Introducing Terraria's New Journey Mode

JM characters can't visit non-JM worlds and vice-versa. All of those years of loot are utterly useless to Journey Mode.

It's not really about starting from scratch; I do that at least once in every Terraria version drop. The problem is that this years worth of loot will never be added to any JM collection I make.

I don't build fancy stuff just because; I build fancy stuff because I have some in-game need to build a thing, so I may as well make it fancy. What's the point of JM's near-infinite building possibilities... if I cannot use anything I build there?

I like the idea, but so long as all my years of stuff lives in a non-Journey Mode world, JM will just be a minor distraction to me. A place where maybe I can build some nice things, but it's never going to be a place I live.

If it's between my loot and Journey Mode, that's not even a question.
I see your point... however, my personal issue here is that the loot would become obsolete if you used it on JM anyway. You can duplicate anything you have enough of already, and after that there's no point in storing things you can just spawn in abundance anyway. You could use JM to build that castle, but it would have already lost its purpose. I think JM serves more or less as a different playstyle and a map-building tool, and I think the main thing that keeps JM's progression valid is the new town system. We don't know as of yet whether you will be able to sell things you duplicate, duplicate money, or the like sort. I feel like those things will be addressed, but in the longrun I don't see JM being the common way of playing Terraria. You're probably better keeping your castle Journeymode-free, and I think that's for the best-- not just because it's impossible not to.

Hopefully the number of items you need to research for rare stuff like metal detectors is only, like, 1. Otherwise that could be rather annoying to attempt to get like 5 or 10 of them to unlock the ability to make them.

god i cannot wait to catch 100 bunnies and blow my computer up through the sheer force of instantly releasing 40,000,000 digital bunnies

Hopefully the number of items you need to research for rare stuff like metal detectors is only, like, 1. Otherwise that could be rather annoying to attempt to get like 5 or 10 of them to unlock the ability to make them.
I watched the video by James, linked at the bottom of the original post. For weapons/tools, it looks like you only need 1 for research, I imagine this applies to accessories too (not certain though)

I watched the video by James, linked at the bottom of the original post. For weapons/tools, it looks like you only need 1 for research, I imagine this applies to accessories too (not certain though)
Yeah it even seems like a single paper airplane, which seems to be something like a shuriken Or throwing knife, is all you need for infinite of them

Pretty sure you're 100% correct.

I can't see why you'd need 2 Ankh Charms. That's just painful.

I hope you can dupe money, because I'm going to use this mode to play normally and not dupe anything except money (and maybe torches) so I don't have to farm for hours, lol. i also won't have to use the town system this way, so it's a win-win

Oop, noticed another comment by Cenx, which apparently I missed (and others did too):
You only need one to dupe an item/weapon/accessory for infinite. If we don't change it between now and release it takes 3 boss summon items to unlock infinite. We also made it so you can create the opposite infection in your world if you choose to do so. :)
1 for equipment, 3 for boss summons, which I feel is more than fair `:D

You know what’s great? Journey mode characters can’t use the all items world until somebody updates tedit and then somebody else makes a journey mode all items world lol

Now that ive thought about this for a bit, Id like to see a feature where you can copy a build and paste it somewhere else, this would make building mush easier In journey mode.
Good catch, blueprints feature is a huge miss for such mode indeed!

I hope you can dupe money, because I'm going to use this mode to play normally and not dupe anything except money (and maybe torches) so I don't have to farm for hours, lol. i also won't have to use the town system this way, so it's a win-win
Uhhhhhhh no. It's not going to be worth playing JM if you aren't even incentivized to build with it. I like the duping items more than I like duping money, because that sounds like a balance for multiplayer and map building. Duping money sounds like a waste of potential here, and if anything that's the worst way to play this mode because it overlooks the main purpose of allowing such free control. Either way, you're open to play however you'd like... but I really don't think duplicating money or selling duplicated items should be a thing if they want the progression to work out well. I personally don't have any problems finding money to buy what I need from npcs, but I am hoping towns change that. I don't want to lose that value to duplication.

Ok now I have one HUGE question that would make builders everywhere happy if it can happen. Will we somehow be able to research and use walls that are naturally spawning? The ones we can't obtain without mods/cheating/Tedit. This will most likely be answered when the update comes out but if we can then it will be a big game changer for builders... Well JM is a ginormous game changer but eh.
Another huge miss for this mode, oh noes!

Back
Top Bottom