With Great Power Comes Great Accessibility - Introducing Terraria's New Journey Mode

I love this so so much, BUT, what I really want to know, is if it will be possible to get all items from Normal Mode, Expert Mode and Master Mode in Journey Mode?
I ask this because Journey Mode is intended to be so customizable that it only makes sense.
Journey Mode opens up the possibility for people who may have a hard time with games, for example people of all ages who are new to gaming, especially kids or even people with disabilities, to really experience all of Terraria at a pace that may better suit them without sacrificing the experience of some of the fun new items you can usually only get in Expert Mode like the 'Shield of Cthulu' or whatever fun new items await us in Master Mode that we don't yet know about, which people who struggle with higher difficulty games will be forced to go without, or even use mods to bypass those restrictions if they even manage to figure that out and find one which does that.
I hope this gets seen and answered because it seems like a big question for Journey Mode.

Yes- if rng is nice to you. ;)

One reason I use mods is that I dislike having RNG as the only way to obtain items. For instance, Calamity makes it so I can either find hermes boots naturally, or craft them with some swiftness potions and silk. Calamity actually adds recipes for all of the accessories, and the fishing ones drop from an early game boss.

The slime staff has always felt like an lolrng item, and I was hoping new stuff wouldn't be the same. What if the finch staff was also craftable with 100 caught birds and some other stuff?

My one caveat is that you can't bring non-journeymode players to journey worlds.

I guarantee you that the journey mode only thing is just a flag in the saved files and mod tool creators will figure out a way to change that.

Last edited:
So what exactly is the point of journey mode? Tmodloader is coming with 1.4 anyways right? so you basically took terraria overhaul weather system, cheat sheet, heros mod and combined it all into a pretty package and said hey heres a new update? I've supported you guys for a very long time. The least you can do is be completely forthcoming with how these decisions on these "updates" are made. This update is a joke.

I guarantee you that the journey mode only thing is just a flag in the saved files and mod tool creators will figure out a way to change that.
Yeah, I kinda' figured that. I'm just sayin' it's kinda' pointless ultimately when it could be integrated as an intended feature anyway. I can see why they didn't, but I also kinda' wish they did.

Huh so journey's mode is the official cheat sheet for Terraria? If so what will happen to Tmodloader's cheatsheet?
It's not a cheat sheet. It's a "oh, you farmed this much of a resource? you can now spawn infinite. have fun."

Yeah, I kinda' figured that. I'm just sayin' it's kinda' pointless ultimately when it could be integrated as an intended feature anyway. I can see why they didn't, but I also kinda' wish they did.

I don't really see why they made them separate. I know some players have very little self control and would 'feel forced' to grind stuff in journey and then export to normal/w/e but if one is designing a game for the 1% instead of the 99%, one has problems. Yes, there is always a very loud and vocal segment of a playerbase that complains about 'op stuff'. Doesn't mean one has to listen to them.

I'm completely uninterested in this because it runs counter to everything I enjoy about Terraria, but I guess it's no skin off my nose that it exists. Congrats to those of you who wanted it `:happy:

I just hope Master Mode received at least equal attention.

So what exactly is the point of journey mode? Tmodloader is coming with 1.4 anyways right? so you basically took terraria overhaul weather system, cheat sheet, heros mod and combined it all into a pretty package and said hey heres a new update? I've supported you guys for a very long time. The least you can do is be completely forthcoming with how these decisions on these "updates" are made. This update is a joke.
oh, Tmodloader is not being managed fully by Relogic. I don't think they've got 1.4 accounted for yet, and their DLC release will just backport to the current version of Terraria. There's also no reason to expect Relogic to leave all of their own game's design up to modders. People have been asking for an *official* "creative mode" for a while now, and it's not exactly new news that they've been trying to find a way to do it right. Journey's end isn't meant to just be Hero's mod, it's meant to be a new way to play through the game as well. Tmodloader's cheatsheet will probably stay until 1.4, at which point it'll probably evolve to fill the gaps JM doesn't or just be available across all modes. As for other changes they "took" from other mods, I don't think that a weather system was a particularly original idea to begin with. They aren't shamelessly stealing modded content here, because a "creative" mode and more aesthetic environment have been a focus of 1.4 for as long as we've been hearing about it.

Also, I don't agree that Relogic hasn't been "forthcoming." They have a very active perspective on their community, but that doesn't mean they feel obliged to do everything the way people expect. They want Terraria to stay Terraria, and this is one of those times where I think they've got a better clue than we do as to what that means. Relogic has never disappointed me, and I don't think that's going to change now. I believe in their decision. After all, they can't just slap a cheatsheet on the vanilla game and expect it to be engaging or fit the brand they've been building for so long. It's fine if you don't like it, but I don't think this is something to beat them over the head with.

I don't really see why they made them separate. I know some players have very little self control and would 'feel forced' to grind stuff in journey and then export to normal/w/e but if one is designing a game for the 1% instead of the 99%, one has problems. Yes, there is always a very loud and vocal segment of a playerbase that complains about 'op stuff'. Doesn't mean one has to listen to them.
You're not really making an argument from solid ground if you're pulling statistics out of hammerspace to supplement it. Any "anyone who disagrees with this is a vocal minority" argument is inherently flawed. From my perspective for instance, people who are noticeably upset by any form of game balance are very common, while everyone I personally know and play with prefers balance but don't go talking about it in forums or on discords for instance. Does that mean people who hate balance changes are a vocal minority? No. Because we're both working from skewed frameworks with no actual data.

Everyone using this argument always acts like they are the Platonic ideal of what a "real" Terraria player is.. You are not the playerbase friend. Don't use the playerbase as a crutch for an argument that should be able to stand on its own merit.

Last edited:
oh, Tmodloader is not being managed fully by Relogic. I don't think they've got 1.4 accounted for yet, and their DLC release will just backport to the current version of Terraria. There's also no reason to expect Relogic to leave all of their own game's design up to modders. People have been asking for an *official* "creative mode" for a while now, and it's not exactly new news that they've been trying to find a way to do it right. Journey's end isn't meant to just be Hero's mod, it's meant to be a new way to play through the game as well. Tmodloader's cheatsheet will probably stay until 1.4, at which point it'll probably evolve to fill the gaps JM doesn't or just be available across all modes. As for other changes they "took" from other mods, I don't think that a weather system was a particularly original idea to begin with. They aren't shamelessly stealing modded content here, because a "creative" mode and more aesthetic environment have been a focus of 1.4 for as long as we've been hearing about it.

Also, I don't agree that Relogic hasn't been "forthcoming." They have a very active perspective on their community, but that doesn't mean they feel obliged to do everything the way people expect. They want Terraria to stay Terraria, and this is one of those times where I think they've got a better clue than we do as to what that means. Relogic has never disappointed me, and I don't think that's going to change now. I believe in their decision. After all, they can't just slap a cheatsheet on the vanilla game and expect it to be engaging or fit the brand they've been building for so long. It's fine if you don't like it, but I don't think this is something to beat them over the head with.
how much harder are you going to suck dude?

Journey mode is literally cheatsheet/herosmod/terraria overhaul weather system combined.
Play with those 3 mods and then come back to me and tell me how it's different. Don't worry i'll wait.
"a new way to play the game"
really dude? install cheatsheet or heros mod.
BOOM
YOU CAN PLAY YOUR WAY WOWEEE! GENIUS LINE HERE. YOU can CHOOSE to CHEAT or NOT.
WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
"longer placement range?"
try infinite.
enemy spawn rates? done.
hardness of the world? done.
so what's new with journey mod?
i mean with cheatsheet and heros mod i can at least cheat and then backwards port the world from tmod to regular version. meaning i can play however i want to.

The new research and duplication system is so damn alien to terraria it's not even funny. the sprites are cool, alien to terraria though. This is what they are selling this update as and lets be real. It's BS. this is the lamest and crappiest thing i've seen in a while. At least with master mode there will be new mechanics to boss fights right?

right?.......

Ok now I have one HUGE question that would make builders everywhere happy if it can happen. Will we somehow be able to research and use walls that are naturally spawning? The ones we can't obtain without mods/cheating/Tedit. This will most likely be answered when the update comes out but if we can then it will be a big game changer for builders... Well JM is a ginormous game changer but eh.

If I might ask, what exactly is the difference between natural walls and constructed ones (besides the fact that you can harvest one but not the other, and if I recall correctly natural walls don't allow for proper housing)?

If I might ask, what exactly is the difference between natural walls and constructed ones (besides the fact that you can harvest one but not the other, and if I recall correctly natural walls don't allow for proper housing)?
Being able to access them would be useful for the construction of vanilla adventure maps though.

It mostly comes down to variety and looks.

Natural spawning walls allow mobs to spawn in front of them. Player placed ones are safe.

I've been doing a hardcore summoners run (where I don't fight any mobs at all until I get the Imp staff and then only use imps / other summon weapons to deal dmg) and player placed walls are essential to control mob spawn locations so I can avoid being attacked by them once I've carefully cleared an area. Still need to worry about worms, but that's a minor issue.

edit: and of course I need to worry about mobs hoiking themselves into 'safe' areas.. mostly slimes.

I think some players here are missing the core point of this mode, and it's about always having
an option, it's not about spawning whatever or cheating, it's about players' personal boundaries.

Other modes are forcing you to play as initially designed.
Journey lets you play as you've designed it (plus a few QoL bonuses when needed, i.e. for builders).

It's not a so called creative or sandbox mode, it's about YOU being your playthrough director now.
Try and see it from this bright side.

It's like you're being Marty McFly who used to be just a passenger, but now got keys from DeLorean.
You're holding the wheel now, for the first time.

It also has a huge difference from all those "items spawners" mods, because Journey isn't just that,
it still has Terraria's game design and a solid progression thematic, as you're being a collector now!
(wish it could say what's left though)

Last edited:
how much harder are you going to suck dude?

Journey mode is literally cheatsheet/herosmod/terraria overhaul weather system combined.
Play with those 3 mods and then come back to me and tell me how it's different. Don't worry i'll wait.
"a new way to play the game"
really dude? install cheatsheet or heros mod.
BOOM
YOU CAN PLAY YOUR WAY WOWEEE! GENIUS LINE HERE. YOU can CHOOSE to CHEAT or NOT.
WOWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.
"longer placement range?"
try infinite.
enemy spawn rates? done.
hardness of the world? done.
so what's new with journey mod?
i mean with cheatsheet and heros mod i can at least cheat and then backwards port the world from tmod to regular version. meaning i can play however i want to.

The new research and duplication system is so damn alien to terraria it's not even funny. the sprites are cool, alien to terraria though. This is what they are selling this update as and lets be real. It's BS. this is the lamest and crappiest thing i've seen in a while. At least with master mode there will be new mechanics to boss fights right?

right?.......
Yikes man, is not like terraria is forcing you to play journey mode, just pretend it doesnt exist... And i dont think they are selling the 1.4 update with the journey mode, maybe try to do some research and you will see there are waaaaaay more content than just this, the wiki has like 100+ spoilers and the major things are yet to be revealed.

You sound to entitled, as in "If i dont like it, neither should you", you can keep using hero's mod, just let people enjoy the update instead of being so negative.

Back
Top Bottom