With Great Power Comes Great Accessibility - Introducing Terraria's New Journey Mode

Can you lock Journey Mode settings? It would be great if you can globally lock certain things so that other people on your server (or you) can't use godmode. Journey Mode is basically the perfect way to play Terraria, but not being able to permanently disable certain things so that you can't tempt yourself into "cheating" seems like an oversight to me

Can you lock Journey Mode settings? It would be great if you can globally lock certain things so that other people on your server (or you) can't use godmode. Journey Mode is basically the perfect way to play Terraria, but not being able to permanently disable certain things so that you can't tempt yourself into "cheating" seems like an oversight to me
imo, it should be fully open to you in single player, but I'm running a server it'd be nice if I could lock people out of god mode for instance.

While I definitely appreciate the effort to make it more than just a creative mode, I do feel like the "you have to earn it" aspect makes it a bit annoying if you want access to every kind of block. since some blocks/furniture sets are specific to a certain world.

Things like: The different kind of dungeon bricks and furniture, the evil of your world and the ore(brick)s require you to explore multiple worlds if you want them all. (It is true that all ores can be gotten by fishing and extracting. It's still gonna be annoying if you're gonna want an infinite supply of a specific ore.)

A bit nitpicky I suppose, but easy access to the aforementioned tiles is the main reason I would play Terraria in creative in the first place.
Maybe ores and dungeon color could be an extra parameter for Journey world generation, so that grinding for a specific one would be less tedious.

If I look at journey mode as a custom way to play Terraria it looks fun though.
an hp multiplier slider is something I would add though, it would allow for all kind of challenges.

I can literally say whatever i like. I'm physically capable of doing so. Besides adding fuel to the flame your points below
I'm not literally saying you can't say it, I'm saying you can't say it and be taken seriously.
This discussion is about journey mode. "research items and duplicate them" So you mean an overly complicated system for creative mode?
There's a reason it's not called creative mode. Because it's not one. It's making you earn the ability to recreate items bust still have to progress through the game.
Clearly you have no idea how advertising works. But this discussion isn't about that, it was just a point made. Let's stay on topic now.
But according to you, these spoilers are marketing, and saying that would be blatantly false, so it would be false and and it would be advertising. Put that together.
> Also, journey mode isn't the only feature in this update.
irrelevant to the discussion and this thread.
You're the one that said the entire update was trash because of this one feature.
Since you mentioned it. Let me make this very clear. The concept for the menu, the base work and the concepts of the mod were blatantly ripped from cheatsheet.
the concept of the menu? You mean an organized menu where you can take items out of? That existed long before cheat sheet and was likely inspired from some other game. The base work? What do you mean base work? You mean items being taken out of the menu? That was build on Terraria's already existing item system. The concepts? You mean an inventory where you can get anything from? That existed long before the mod.
I want to slap you through the computer for how absolutely blindly you're spouting "uh but it's different". If i steal the base code of terraria and sell it online with different sprites and graphics and slightly tweak the mechanics so they are "different" does that make it not terraria? No.
It's not "slightly different". It's completely different. The only thing they have in common is a menu where you can get items from, and if that's how low the bar is for copying, you can just say cheat sheet copied Minecraft.
But to have re-logic sit there and go "hey we clearly came up with this idea, here is the new journey mode!" when it looks so blatantly like cheat sheet is insulting to the mod creator and the community re-logic has built.
no one is claiming journey mode is completely original. Everyone knows other games have creative modes.
You much like everyone else here seems to be missing the main point which again i have outlined above.
Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't understand you. I know what your point is.
Game journalism is literally my job.
I know what i'm talking about.
That doesn't matter. Just because you're a games journalist doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. There's been plenty of cases of games journalist's getting things wrong and blatantly lying.
your criticism based on my opinionated discussion holds no merit and is irrelevant simply for the fact that you cannot comprehend that this discussion was started on the topic listed here and the issues that are present with how this update has been handled.
Once again, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't understand the issues you are addressing. Your point of view isn't the only valid one.
Please think before responding just because you want to try and get a rise out of someone.
Sorry, what? I'm the one trying to get a ride out of you? Didn't you say "how much harder are you going to suck dude?" And "I want to slap you through the computer."

To @Atlasroar:

"Oh boo hoo, they didn't give me exactly what I want!"
You better sit your entitled :red: down. No matter what you think, they are not trying to make creative mode. Your logic is incredibly flawed too, just because your a journalist (and proof pls. I've never heard of you) you think you know what your saying? E_M_Y is trying to explain the simple fact that Journey Mode is not Creative mode, neither is it a ripoff of Cheat Sheet.

E_M_Y, don't waste your breath. As it seems right now, you won't be able to explain it without crayons and sock puppets.

Alright it's about time that we cut it out with the arguing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and may post them freely here but remember the number one rule, Mutual Respect.

If you're unable to talk between yourselves without getting heated then simply leave it at that and agree to disagree, it's unlikely that anyone will be changing their minds before playing the update when it comes out so I think its best to leave hard discussion on that until after the fact. This is a public place and it would be preferable than it remain positive and not have an argument on every page.

If it isn't clear, I'd like us to move on.

I'm not literally saying you can't say it, I'm saying you can't say it and be taken seriously.

There's a reason it's not called creative mode. Because it's not one. It's making you earn the ability to recreate items bust still have to progress through the game.

But according to you, these spoilers are marketing, and saying that would be blatantly false, so it would be false and and it would be advertising. Put that together.

You're the one that said the entire update was trash because of this one feature.

the concept of the menu? You mean an organized menu where you can take items out of? That existed long before cheat sheet and was likely inspired from some other game. The base work? What do you mean base work? You mean items being taken out of the menu? That was build on Terraria's already existing item system. The concepts? You mean an inventory where you can get anything from? That existed long before the mod.

It's not "slightly different". It's completely different. The only thing they have in common is a menu where you can get items from, and if that's how low the bar is for copying, you can just say cheat sheet copied Minecraft.

no one is claiming journey mode is completely original. Everyone knows other games have creative modes.

Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't understand you. I know what your point is.

That doesn't matter. Just because you're a games journalist doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. There's been plenty of cases of games journalist's getting things wrong and blatantly lying.

Once again, just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I don't understand the issues you are addressing. Your point of view isn't the only valid one.

Sorry, what? I'm the one trying to get a ride out of you? Didn't you say "how much harder are you going to suck dude?" And "I want to slap you through the computer."
To lazy to continue with multiple quotes so i'll write this out by responding in a list. i"m going to skip over some things as i think the mods assume we're at each oters throats right now so i'll let those things pass.

1.) I can actually say this and expect to be taken seriously. If someone doesn't like my opinions or responses they don't have to reply and can ignore me. Simple as that. Live and let live.
2.) Correct it isn't creative mode. But at the same time it really is, you just have a new twist in that you have to work for it. (YOU) the player can creatively remake any block, item or variation as you wish. You control the enemy spawns, the enemy's level among other features.
3.) What exactly do you think a spoiler is? Lets go with everyones standard meaning. "a tidbit of information leaked to the public by the content creator" Does the intial OP warrant the name "spoiler"? No. It's a feature highlight. This is a VERY common marketing strategy. You highlight a big change or new addition in order to generate hype. Take for instance the mod i'm making for another game. We introduced faction sieges to the public a month before private alpha release. It was a feature that had never been done before and was never thought possible. It's how our mod went from 0 subscribers to 30k+ in under a month. (This is a tangent mostly, i don't really expect a response here, just explaining things)
4.) I didn't say the update was trash. I said this feature of the update was bad.
5.) Going to group this response together.

Take a look at the journey mode menu system, what is available, what you can do, then look at cheat sheet and compare. The only new features are difficulty level, rate of spawns, and weather. Ignoring those new features and the "research" mechanic let's compare what cheat sheet did first and added to the game.
God mode
infinite blocks
increased placement range
set time
Now, what does the new journey mode menu add that isn't those features excluding the new ones? (yes i'm purposely leaving out cheat sheets other features)
Is the style different? Not really
Are the mechanics different? Nope.
Does the menu system remotely look like cheat sheet? Yes.

That's my main point. Calling something different when it clearly isn't, isn't okay.
All i am saying is they need to address the fact that the idea/concept was clearly taken from elsewhere and then expanded upon. Is that okay? OF course it is!
What isn't okay is not giving credit where it's due.

(i'll leave the other responses out to further the conversation without people think we're arguing)

To lazy to continue with multiple quotes so i'll write this out by responding in a list. i"m going to skip over some things as i think the mods assume we're at each oters throats right now so i'll let those things pass.

1.) I can actually say this and expect to be taken seriously. If someone doesn't like my opinions or responses they don't have to reply and can ignore me. Simple as that. Live and let live.
2.) Correct it isn't creative mode. But at the same time it really is, you just have a new twist in that you have to work for it. (YOU) the player can creatively remake any block, item or variation as you wish. You control the enemy spawns, the enemy's level among other features.
3.) What exactly do you think a spoiler is? Lets go with everyones standard meaning. "a tidbit of information leaked to the public by the content creator" Does the intial OP warrant the name "spoiler"? No. It's a feature highlight. This is a VERY common marketing strategy. You highlight a big change or new addition in order to generate hype. Take for instance the mod i'm making for another game. We introduced faction sieges to the public a month before private alpha release. It was a feature that had never been done before and was never thought possible. It's how our mod went from 0 subscribers to 30k+ in under a month. (This is a tangent mostly, i don't really expect a response here, just explaining things)
4.) I didn't say the update was trash. I said this feature of the update was bad.
5.) Going to group this response together.

Take a look at the journey mode menu system, what is available, what you can do, then look at cheat sheet and compare. The only new features are difficulty level, rate of spawns, and weather. Ignoring those new features and the "research" mechanic let's compare what cheat sheet did first and added to the game.
God mode
infinite blocks
increased placement range
set time
Now, what does the new journey mode menu add that isn't those features excluding the new ones? (yes i'm purposely leaving out cheat sheets other features)
Is the style different? Not really
Are the mechanics different? Nope.
Does the menu system remotely look like cheat sheet? Yes.

That's my main point. Calling something different when it clearly isn't, isn't okay.
All i am saying is they need to address the fact that the idea/concept was clearly taken from elsewhere and then expanded upon. Is that okay? OF course it is!
What isn't okay is not giving credit where it's due.

(i'll leave the other responses out to further the conversation without people think we're arguing)
Look, it's clear that you and me just disagree. This argument/conversation/whatever won't end up changing anyone's mind and will just waste time and make people mad, as it already has. We need to just agree to disagree.

@Atlasroar just stop it, seriously, i don't know if you are trolling or legitimately concerned about this, but this is getting a bit too far... It seems almost like the world is centered around you, if you don't like it then its bad, for real just stop, why do you even want to argue with someone when you are unwilling to receive negative answers, it is pointless trying to do so, maybe one day you will get out of your imaginary bubble, where everything happens as you wish, and the stuff other people say are irrelevant.

If this was a troll, then good job, you succeeded at it, you got out attention, if it wasn't a troll, then i think there might be some problems more serious than this update.

Holy crap Journey Mode looks awesome, I am so hyped for this. I also actually like the fact that you have to earn your free items via research, makes it feel more worthwhile and encourages you to both explore and progress through the game.

@Atlasroar just stop it, seriously, i don't know if you are trolling or legitimately concerned about this, but this is getting a bit too far... It seems almost like the world is centered around you, if you don't like it then its bad, for real just stop, why do you even want to argue with someone when you are unwilling to receive negative answers, it is pointless trying to do so, maybe one day you will get out of your imaginary bubble, where everything happens as you wish, and the stuff other people say are irrelevant.

If this was a troll, then good job, you succeeded at it, you got out attention, if it wasn't a troll, then i think there might be some problems more serious than this update.

It seems that I need to make myself even clearer.

This applies to everyone, not just you.
We're moving on. Forget that Atlas and EMY had an exchange, stop splashing the puddle.

Staff have already been notified and we're involved. If they continue past this point with or without your assistance, action will be taken.

Additionally, action may be taken on those who continue to quote, mention or otherwise attempt to console the situation. It has already been handled, you are unfortunately not being helpful to this situation by voicing your concern though I do appreciate the sentiment.

To quote the rules;
Report & Carry On: Do not tell the other party you have reported them, do not use reporting as a threat, and do not continue to engage the troll/insulting party in dialogue. Let the Staff take care of the issue – it’s their job, not yours.

We're putting out the fire here and moving back to normal discussion, please.

:eek:first things first......

Oh my EOC I got quoted by Cenx and she answered my question...… second...….. from the looks of it..... Journey mode for if you don't use any of the creative tools is a slightly easy normal mode :p (if that's the case...… then skeletron probably never enrage in day or/and dungeon guardians are gone forever.... jk……. i wonder if the finch staff is gonna be obtainable outside of journey mode)

To bring the discussion back onto another topic, I am really interested in those new tree types. There are pink leaves and yellow/golden ones that are new at the moment.

Are they just for making trees look a bit different or do they have their own wood types? More wood types would be pretty cool~:naughty:

Well console and mobile players don't have access to mods (if they somehow do please tell me)
I'm very much looking forward to this
the two mods listed are also only better in the view that Journey Mode is supposed to be purely creative mode, when its supposed to be a highly customizable run with creative mode as a potential reward. I'm sure someone with the will of a god will disagree, but its much easier to avoid the temptation to dupe OP things if I need to sacrifice something in order to gain infinite access, it means I have to actively be unlocking the spawning before I do. You also have to actually earn it normally at least once, while with cheat sheet I could just give myself the terra blade right from the word go.

I will however say if its not already a thing, server owners should be able to disable at least godmode server-wide.

Back
Top Bottom