With Great Power Comes Great Accessibility - Introducing Terraria's New Journey Mode

Here's a basic usability question. Let's say that you have researched Stone. Stone, by itself, can be used to make Grey Brick. Do I have to go through all the trouble to duplicate some Stone, craft it into Brick, and then research it?

That is, if I have researched all of the crafting materials for item X, do I automatically get the research for item X, or do I have to do the extra work to get it?
video showed you had to research that stuff as well

Here's a basic usability question. Let's say that you have researched Stone. Stone, by itself, can be used to make Stone Brick. Do I have to go through all the trouble to duplicate some Stone, craft it into Brick, and then research it?

That is, if I have researched all of the crafting materials for item X, do I automatically get the research for item X, or do I have to do the extra work to get it?
well thinking you have to put it in to the research thing i ould sya you would have to do the extra step, but hey no biggie

what does this mean? help:
1588871251207.png

I can see the interface being ported to Mobile really quickly. The design seems to allow easy touchscreen capabilities. I can envision doing that on a mobile device.
Does the direction of the wind change anything other than the functionality of kites and the way trees and vines blow? Also, can you attach a kite to something and just let it hang there as long as the wind is blowing?

I can see the interface being ported to Mobile really quickly. The design seems to allow easy touchscreen capabilities. I can envision doing that on a mobile device.
Does the direction of the wind change anything other than the functionality of kites and the way trees and vines blow? Also, can you attach a kite to something and just let it hang there as long as the wind is blowing?
If you look in chippy’s video, it shows a new “balloon slime” which seems to be affected by wind direction.

Also, researching fishing crates seems... a little excessively powerful.

That would undermine the item progression factor of the game. If you researched all the items for the Cell Phone, or the Night's Edge, I don't see why you would automatically get all available items that that that item completes.

I will probably not play this mode. The only thing I would want to play this for is being able to skip time to night time in order to summon certain bosses. I can just ignore all of the other features, but I don't like having to artificially limit myself to that degree. It sours the experience for me a bit when I have to follow my own rules due to constant paranoia worrying about accidentally breaking them. Also, you start with better starting equipment, which I am not a fan of either. Is there a way to play Journey Mode with the standard starting equipment?

He means a better journey mode, which it basically is.

Like I get that this mode will give the functions of those 2 mods on consoles, but majority of the players play on PC. What's the point in trying to recreate something that mods have already accomplished? I can play journey mode right now on PC. I just have to install Cheat sheet and Hero's mod.
No you can’t, journey mode is different, you have to research items in order to duplicate.

Like I get that this mode will give the functions of those 2 mods on consoles, but majority of the players play on PC. What's the point in trying to recreate something that mods have already accomplished? I can play journey mode right now on PC. I just have to install Cheat sheet and Hero's mod.
I don’t see a world difficulty slider in hero’s/cheatsheet :naughty:

this was basically the only way they could implement this without spoiling things for new players. Console/mobile are a more significant part of the community than you think.

Here's a basic usability question. Let's say that you have researched Stone. Stone, by itself, can be used to make Grey Brick. Do I have to go through all the trouble to duplicate some Stone, craft it into Brick, and then research it?

Gotta craft and research the stuff individually. Give Chippy's video at the bottom of the OP a watch, he shows it off around the 6:30 time stamp.

If you look in chippy’s video, it shows a new “balloon slime” which seems to be affected by wind direction.
hecc
Just gave me a fun idea. If this is indeed the case that those Balloon Slimes are affected by the wind, imagine going into the Wind slider and changing the Wind's direction to the opposite direction and watch them just float away.

That would be fun for a few minutes, sure.

Something I've mentioned before, but I think it's worth restating here. Journeymode isn't about what we had in the modding community, it's about what people wanted from the main game. Relogic can't just expect everything that people want from Terraria to be covered by modded content. While they can go out of their way to support Tmodloader and the mods it supports, it is no excuse to not add content that has been thoroughly discussed and requested for years. People have been asking for "creative" even when Hero's mod and cheatsheet have been around. This isn't about meeting a standard that modders have set. This isn't about integrating modded content into the main game either; "creative" isn't exactly an original concept. Relogic just wants to create a "creative" that works for Terraria, even if it's not all the bells and whistles that modded clients can provide. JM is meant to redefine how we can go about playing the game, encouraging use for actual progression and exploration beyond just a building tool. It's not creative, and that's been made clear many times. It's Terraria Journeymode, and we shouldn't be looking at it for what other creators can provide; instead, we should look at it as it is and be discussing how it can change the core game of Terraria.

Something I've mentioned before, but I think it's worth restating here. Journeymode isn't about what we had in the modding community, it's about what people wanted from the main game. Relogic can't just expect everything that people want from Terraria to be covered by modded content. While they can go out of their way to support Tmodloader and the mods it supports, it is no excuse to not add content that has been thoroughly discussed and requested for years. People have been asking for "creative" even when Hero's mod and cheatsheet have been around. This isn't about meeting a standard that modders have set. This isn't about integrating modded content into the main game either; "creative" isn't exactly an original concept. Relogic just wants to create a "creative" that works for Terraria, even if it's not all the bells and whistles that modded clients can provide. JM is meant to redefine how we can go about playing the game, encouraging use for actual progression and exploration beyond just a building tool. It's not creative, and that's been made clear many times. It's Terraria Journeymode, and we shouldn't be looking at it for what other creators can provide; instead, we should look at it as it is and be discussing how it can change the core game of Terraria.
I agree, and thank you.

I feel no matter how many times we point out Journey Mode isn't creative and it has uses outside of it, some people just won't understand.

Instead of repeating what I've said a few times, I'll say something new: During modded runs I only allowed Cheat Sheet on the server when my friend was just doing some building, it was too powerful to be left active during regular play, but Journey Mode is just weak enough that I actually can allow this.

Though I do wish for others with larger groups of players or less trustworthy players, that a server owner could toggle what players can and can not alter, especially god mode.

Back
Top Bottom