With Great Power Comes Great Accessibility - Introducing Terraria's New Journey Mode

What happens if you die with a journey character

Edit: I love that new minimap texture
and the hearts and mana too

So does that mean that these mods and items in some mods that increase or decrease the spawn rate will fail in travel mode rather than overlap with the effects of travel mode?
That's up to the individual modders to deal with.

This will be in released, vanilla 1.4

Now I might actually be able to build an entire castle out of luminite instead of fighting Moon Lord 50 more times for materials lol. A less impressive way to do it perhaps, but Journey Mode looks cool! It all looks cool. I can't wait another week!

So will turning off all spawns even work during Blood moons and Eclipses? Because having some way to just totally ignore those when you don't feel like dealing with them, particularly Eclipses, has been a long time Terraria wish. It's annoying when you're focused on building and then an Eclipse says "Nope, time for monsters everywhere! Now you can't focus on building and simply being within spawn range of your NPCs endangers them." Temporarily turning off spawns entirely seems like it should be a pretty good workaround as long as the spawn control setting always has priority.

Alternately, a way to make it so that areas with enough NPCs to stop standard monster spawning can stop Eclipse and Blood Moon spawns as well would be cool too, for non-Journey solutions to that annoyance.

So will turning off all spawns even work during Blood moons and Eclipses? Because having some way to just totally ignore those when you don't feel like dealing with them, particularly Eclipses, has been a long time Terraria wish. It's annoying when you're focused on building and then an Eclipse says "Nope, time for monsters everywhere! Now you can't focus on building and simply being within spawn range of your NPCs endangers them." Temporarily turning off spawns entirely seems like it should be a pretty good workaround as long as the spawn control setting always has priority.

Alternately, a way to make it so that areas with enough NPCs to stop standard monster spawning can stop Eclipse and Blood Moon spawns as well would be cool too, for non-Journey solutions to that annoyance.
Events and bosses will still spawn mobs, but you have the power to control time now. :)

It might be complicated but I'm sure the modding community could create extra features or costs for the Journey character/world type. I'm not too sure how this works in multiplayer, but being able to keep everyone on the same limitations would be nice too.

Journey mode is its own thing, it's not like "cheat-sheet/hero's mod". It has it's own functionality and playstyle rather than being straight-up cheating via mods. Many laid back players who don't run mods would enjoy Journey mode just fine.
..of course there's easily accessible buttons for god-mode and time change, but they were trying to push "play how you want", so I'd want to follow that mentality.

Last edited:
It might be complicated but I'm sure the modding community could create extra features or costs for the Journey character/world type. I'm not too sure how this works in multiplayer, but being able to keep everyone on the same limitations would be nice too.
I can definitely see mods popping up that disable godmode or allow you to change difficulty settings before entering the world and be unable to change them in the world, as well as a mod to restrict what can and can not be duplicated.

Back
Top Bottom