With Great Power Comes Great Accessibility - Introducing Terraria's New Journey Mode

I don't think it's accurate to claim that dictating how players enjoy the game is not good. Relogic designs the game from the bottom up, and everything they DO dictates how the game is played and how enjoyable it can be. I can say from experience that I wouldn't want to have exposure to creative the moment I started a game like this. I did that when I started playing Terraria with multiplayer, and I regret it. Creative mode is a pandora's box for new players, and the goal here was never to KEEP you working for it. The goal is to keep that box out of reach without learning the game in the process.
As I said in my previous post, they could have easily granted "Creative" as an unlockable feature upon completing the game, sorta' like how you can pick the world evil after hardmode. However, that won't be engaging and representative of Terraria as a whole. Building tends to lose meaning without the game as a whole, and I think starting a new world with the powers of god won't make for a good experience in the longrun when you can build up that world as you progress. Journeymode is Terraria, but with a different take on how the environment affects the player. Journeymode doesn't say you can't get all the items you want, it just says you gotta' know the game first. Anyone can get unlimited items with mods or maps, but not every player knows where to go to do that...

Also, with that in mind, I don't think Journeymode "dictates" how you enjoy Terraria. It's Terraria. You enjoy it as it is, and Journeymode is a reward. You could say they want to "dictate" our enjoyment by *not* adding Journeymode to begin with, but never did Relogic say you can or cannot do this or that. If you really wanted to (and somehow could, despite how Terraria is built) exploit through the game, nobody is stopping you from doing that. We're getting Tmodloader as free DLC, and there's your answer. Nobody is dictating you. Relogic wants to give you control, but also allow you to explore the game the way they envision it.
I feel like a better idea would be to lock journey mode behind beating every boss in the game, that way people who have already beaten the game can :red: around with all the various tools journey mode offers and new players will still have to play the game normally (unless they wanna be a big stinky cheater and download an endgame character or builder workshop type map)

So my big decision is what new game do I start after this patch?
Journey mode or regular

I want the power to stop rain, but will I miss out on anything in Journey mode?

I feel like a better idea would be to lock journey mode behind beating every boss in the game, that way people who have already beaten the game can :red: around with all the various tools journey mode offers and new players will still have to play the game normally (unless they wanna be a big stinky cheater and download an endgame character or builder workshop type map)

To me, the point of developing Journey Mode like this is to redefine what "play the game normally" means. Or more to the point, allow players to decide for themselves what "normal" is. It's a design-your-own-game kind of experience.

Do you think that reforging is a boring, pointless waste of your time and grinding for money to reforge stuff is dull? Then dupe up some cash and trivialize it. Do you have a sudden desire to build a large house out of clay brick, but you don't think it's compelling gameplay to have to go searching the surface for clay? Dupe some up and get building. Do you really, really not want to deal with an Eclipse right now? Turn it off.

To me, Journey Mode is basically "Terraria, but without whatever it is you don't like about it at the moment".

Gatekeeping Journey Mode behind progression only makes sense if Journey Mode were exactly and only Creative Mode. But it isn't, and it's not trying to be.

I mention this in that post, but I don't think that Journeymode would be as fulfilling if it were just an unlockable feature like choosing world evil. World evil is unlocked later because showing the option itself spoils the very existence of two evils to begin with. JM is a different case, and I don't think it's better to hide it behind the endgame. Once you beat Moonlord, you've already run out of things to do. If "creative" were just unlocked, it'd get boring really fast. It also sets JM up more like a "creative" rather than a new way to play the game. Anyone can say that you can just "not use" the features of JM, but people still won't see it like Relogic intended it to be. They want progression to incentivize using JM as a configuration tool for regular gameplay rather than just a cheat sheet, and making it "unlockable" or giving you all of the tools at once would make it seem like a creative mode, which they already have made clear is not fitting to Terraria's style.

Hm. Suddenly, a question!

Will there be any way to spawn the traveling salesman using any of the Journey mode tools, or increase the rate at which he might spawn?

A question soely out of curiosity, but is that god mode icon a reference to doomguy's sprite when he picks up an invincibility sphere in the old doom games?

Will there be a linux dedicated server immediately on launch? I'm trying to host a server immediately at launch and need to know if I have ot use windows or if I can use linux.

How will you be able to get Expert and Master Mode items in Journey Mode? Or does setting the difficulty slider also enable the drops from the bosses. (e.g. expert mode difficulty slider will give Worm Scarf from Eater of Worlds)

Will all the changes of the update apply to a world made before the update?
There are new mini biomes, and Red has mentioned tweeks to worldgen, so that alone is a big no. Also Chippy's 1.4 gameplay shows there are new items that appear on chests throught the world, so an old world would also not have access to those.
How will you be able to get Expert and Master Mode items in Journey Mode? Or does setting the difficulty slider also enable the drops from the bosses. (e.g. expert mode difficulty slider will give Worm Scarf from Eater of Worlds)
Cenx has confirmed the difficulty slider affects the "version" of the enemies that spawn. So an EoW spawned while the difficulty slider is on Expert will have its projectile attacks and drop a boss bag with the worm scarf.

Will all the changes of the update apply to a world made before the update?

It will work exactly as it did in every other version. The physical blocks, chests, etc that is in your world is in your world, period.

New mechanics will be available to you, subject to the rules for making that available. If your world happens to have an arrangement of blocks that now constitutes a new biome, then it will behave like that biome. If the Jungle starts spawning new enemies or new plants, then your Jungle will have that.

But anything that is on some level based on world generation will require... well, world generation. If there's a new biome that's based on a block that didn't exist in 1.3, then upgraded 1.3 worlds won't have it. If you import these blocks into your world, then you can build that biome. But it won't happen on its own.

And they already said that, at launch, there won't be a way to important a 1.3 world/character as if it were a Journey Mode world/character.

Back
Top Bottom