.wld.bak files filling recycle bin

dmckee003

Terrarian
hello,
i was playing Terraria in the new journey mode, when i got a pop up saying that my recycling bin was full and needed to be empty. the game has been deleting a (worldname).wld.bak file every 10 mins.
this is new to me, and i don't know what these files are or why the game was deleting them.
just would like to know what these files are and why the game is deleting them?
should i be concerned? this has never happened before.
thank you for your time.

Weird same thing happened to me and it started doing it last night. Got on it this morning and noticed 20 or so wld.bak files. it seems to put another one in there every couple min

They just added a feature in the latest, 1.4.0.5, hotfix to create two world backup files whenever the game auto-saves, instead of the one it always used to create. It's configurable in the settings.json file, to a maximum of nine (9) backup files. They did this to help recovery from corrupted world save files. It's probably a bug related to this new setting. Mine's doing the same thing. The old replaced backups never used to show up in Recycle Bin.

They just added a feature in the latest, 1.4.0.5, hotfix to create two world backup files whenever the game auto-saves, instead of the one it always used to create. It's configurable in the settings.json file, to a maximum of nine (9) backup files. They did this to help recovery from corrupted world save files. It's probably a bug related to this new setting. Mine's doing the same thing. The old replaced backups never used to show up in Recycle Bin.
thanks for filling me in on whats up with it, now that i know more i feel better about it.

i think they have it deleting the files in stead of just overwriting them. i checked my recylce bin a moment ago and have about 150 of them in there starting from the 4th

same here, as long as the game is running in the background the game will keep doing this, till all harddrive space is full. had about 380 6.8 mb wld.bak files, if it attempts to save when its full terraria just crashes.

this takes awhile to happen though so its not that bothersome, just wish it'd permanently delete instead of sticking around in the recycle bin, or least be consistent with the world backups to keep setting and also delete all but 2 of the .bak files from the recycle bin.

I checked my bin only to find a ton of binned wld bak files of my master mode world which is tempting me
to empty the bin :/

So is there any way to stop terraria from makin world backups?

Yeah this seems like an issue. Terraria shouldn't be keeping hundreds of backups in your recycle bin. I just deleted 300 2 megabyte files.

I had read in the 1.4.1 changelog, that the update was supposed to mitigate this.
- "Rolling backups should properly fully delete extra files, instead of putting them in the recycle bin."
But my recycling bin is still getting a backup every time I either load, or save a world. I can't tell which, because it just happens every time I play each world. But I don't know exactly when it pops in there. Though it does seem to do less backups in there now.

PS: I didn't quite know where else to put this observation, because Google can't seem to find results from when the new update dropped, only when the first part of 1.4 happened.

EDIT: Hmm... Seems to be fine now. Maybe I just needed to run each world one more time to get the new code to work through. Please disregard my complaint. lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom