.wld files, how do they work?

IKilledTheKat

Terrarian
So I've been trying to mess around with world files in order to make more interesting worlds. But omnitool isn't fully updated for 1.3 yet and TEdit can't really be automated. Instead i decided to try to just mess with the world file directly since i have some programming experience. So far I've found some info on how the files are put together here and here. I spent an afternoon learning the very basics of opening binary files and structs in python, but now I'm stuck. The info I've found on how the files are formatted seems to be outdated since reading the files while following that just gives a lot of nonsense.

So my question to you lovely people is if there is any way to get newer information on the formatting of the .wld files in 1.3. Seeing as there are Map Viewers/Editors for 1.3 presumably the information or a way to get it is out there somewhere.

Any sort of help with this would be awesome.

Last edited:
Yeah, the information can be found in the decompiled Terraria code, lol. It's not really that straightforward, so I suggest you actually check it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom