Won't open on Steam

DapperDoodleDan

Terrarian
I posted a thread earlier in July about this issue, unfortunately haven't found a solution and am not sure where else I can go for possible solutions.

The issue I'm having is that Terraria isn't opening when I try to play it on my laptop. When I click the "play" button, it goes into the "starting" mode with the button showing the option to stop the loading process and the game's title on the left menu goes green with the word "running" next to it. But, then it goes back to it's original state. No error messages, no weird text boxes, nothing. I've tried starting it with the task manager open, nothing comes up. I've tried starting it with the application file in the local files folder, no different. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, installing it on an external hard drive, uninstalling Steam itself, I've looked for a config file to try and delete it, but there isn't one for one reason or another, and when I inspect the files I get a clear bill of health.

All in all, I have no idea what to do to fix it. My computer meets all of the requirements, it can play every other game I've tried, I have no idea what's going on.

Any and all help would be appreciated! I'm sorry I don't have screenshots or anything, there just isn't anything to show...

Im having the same issue. I just reinstalled the game to start playing again and it wont load. The button goes blue for a few seconds then back to green. I tried verifying the integrity of the local files and every time it finds one that it could not verify and said it would reacquire it.
I also tried uninstalling and re-installing. Does anyone from the developer actually read these messages or is this one of those "the community will try to help you" forums?

The steam cloud can be buggy, I'd recommend checking steam and your device for updates, as steam and other functions can stop working if you are on outdated software. Also, you can try (really original) Turning your internet connection of and on again to try and reboot the steam cloud connection

I cant speak for the OP but for me it was fresh install and I even installed it and re-installed it. I also rebooted my machine and ran the integrity check, which always finds one corrupt file but says it will reacquire it.
Is there a way to manually check for updates? I have all of my games set to automatically update, however given that it is a fresh install I doubt it is out of date.
Do the devs actually check these forums to offer assistance or are we in the wild wild west of support?

**Edit
Windows finally came up and said it was detecting issues with the program and wanted to run the troublrshooter. It thinks it is incompatible with Windows 11.
How do we get real support from the devs on here??

Last edited:
Exact same issue here. I've looked up a ton of forums and have tried everything posted (e.g., reboots, uninstalls, verify integrity of game files, run as admin, etc. etc. etc.). TerrariaServer.exe doesn't capture any error log (I presume because no error actually appears). I've heard SO much good about Terraria and would love to dive in for the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling the game, steam, etc. I am running Windows 11, so I wonder if Terraria isn't currently compatible with Windows 11 like Siggy was saying.

I did finally find the support email and opened a ticket with them so hopefully I will hear back soon on a solution. If I do I will post an update here for sure!
I may also load up my old laptop with Windows 10 on it to see if it launches there then that would surely point to a possible compatibility issue.
However I did also try running it in compatibility mode for Windows 8 without any luck.

Exact same issue here. I've looked up a ton of forums and have tried everything posted (e.g., reboots, uninstalls, verify integrity of game files, run as admin, etc. etc. etc.). TerrariaServer.exe doesn't capture any error log (I presume because no error actually appears). I've heard SO much good about Terraria and would love to dive in for the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
As a follow-up, I finally resorted to reimaging the entire computer (extreme, I know!), and it works great now! Super confusing first day and night with many, many deaths, but I think we're getting the hang of it! =-)

Yeah there is no way I am reimaging my computer. The devs need to figure this out.

**Edit
Suddenly without explanation after a windows update installed last night I was able to launch the game.

Last edited:
This recently has happened to me and I still haven't had my problem fixed yet but while I've been waiting I have found a temporary solution using GeForce now to play terraria but the only problem with it is the fact steam cloud isn't linked to it.
Edit: While this isn't as helpful as some of the other replies you could always find a way to link it to GeForce now and just wait until you find a solution or until it resolves itself

Last edited:
My issue suddenly went away after a Windows update installed and I can launch the game normally from Steam.

Not sure what happened, but Terraria suddenly works on Steam again! Haven't really changed anything, just redownloaded it and it's fine. Maybe the devs got it to work with Windows 11?

There would have been an update to the game but there was not. For me it worked after I installed a windows update.

Back
Top Bottom