Workaround for the "obb" error on Android devices

505 Games Support

Publisher/Developer
505 Games
We occasionally see this problem reported to us in Support, and wanted to publish this workaround for those who may experience it (you can also find it on our support portal at support.505games.com).

When you get this error, something has gone wrong in downloading the OBB, and it gets corrupted. This file contains all of the graphical sprites and music required for the game to launch. Since the file is corrupted, it is not recognized as a valid file to extract. However, because the file does actually exist, the game fails to re-download and fix it.

This is something that we plan to address in the future, but for now, the workaround is to delete the OBB file and restart the game. When the game restarts, it will re-download the OBB file and extract the files needed for the game.

To do this, please follow these steps:
  1. Make sure the game is not active in the background
  2. Using your favorite file manager (such as Solid Explorer, ES File Explorer, or if you have Marshmallow 6.0, the built-in one), go to the OBB folder via File Manager > Android > obb
  3. Delete the Terraria obb folder com.and.games505.Terraria
  4. Make sure you are connected to the internet
  5. Re-launch the Terraria app
This will re-download the OBB file and the game should launch correctly. All local save data will stay intact with this workaround as well.

NOTE: In some extreme cases, this process might need to be done multiple times until the OBB file is downloaded correctly.

Does this work around also work for the 'failed install/download' issue?
This is happening on a Google Nexus 7 (2013) Marshmallow 6.0.1. When the app is opened it says connecting to server and then failed install/download after which it hangs on the spinning icon screen and the app does not open.

Last edited:
I did the delete-retry two or three times before giving up, uninstalling Terraria, and reinstalling it. As I anticipated, all locally-stored game and character saves were lost. Fortunately for me, I don't play frequently on Android tablet so the worlds and characters didn't represent a big investment in time or effort. Following reinstallation everything seems to work fine.

Device: Galaxy Note 10.1, 2014 edition, running Kit Kat when the problem began, upgraded to Lollipop (with no effect on the game) before uninstall/reinstall.

Hi,

I have tried the solution above and have deleted the folder from the OBB folder and now it says 'connecting to server' after which it says 'failed download/install'.
This is the 2nd time this has happened now on two seperate devices. Sadly it is on both my Son's machines and they have put a considerable amount of time in to the game. I don't know whether to hang on for a solution or tell them they have to start over. But then there is always the risk of it happening again.

I have the game on my Iphone and fingers crossed so far it seems to be more stable. I wish it was the other way around as they spend far more time on this than I do!

To re-cap the device is a Google Nexus 7 (2013) Marshmallow 6.0.1. When the app is opened it says 'connecting to server' and then it says 'failed install/download' after which it hangs on the spinning icon screen and the app does not open.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
[DOUBLEPOST=1452450475,1452450280][/DOUBLEPOST]Just as a side note. After deleting the com.and.games505.Terraria folder from the OBB folder it hasn't re-appeared when re-starting the app.

I have a solution!!!!!!

It works for the 'failed install/download' and the 'couldn't find obb data' issue.

After many hours of searching and trying different things I managed to piece together various bits of information and this is how I did it: -

1. Backup using Helium, there are various ways to back up but I used a PC and transferred back and forth from that. It also made it easier to browse the folders which is very handy for the further steps.

2. Delete Terraria from your device.

3. Install Terraria again and run it, just get it to the menu screen and then close it down.

3. Browse the folders on your device and find the Android folder, in there first go in to the obb folder and rename the Terraria folder, just add something like .bk to the end of the name, go back to the Android folder then in to the data folder and rename the Terraria folder in there.

4. Restore your backup in Helium to the new tablet.

5. Try and run it, within seconds it will error, close the app down.

6. Browse the folders again and go in to the folders as before, delete any new Terraria folders, rename the old ones back to what they were called (remove the .bk if that's all you added). If I re-call correctly I think it was only in the data folder that I had a new folder created.

7. Launch Terraria again and all your old stuff is there.

It is nice to know that I can repeat this process if neccessary because the 'failed download/install' issue has happened to my Son's versions of Terraria on 3 seperate occssions now.

I sincerely hope this works for everyone else too.

We occasionally see this problem reported to us in Support, and wanted to publish this workaround for those who may experience it (you can also find it on our support portal at support.505games.com).

When you get this error, something has gone wrong in downloading the OBB, and it gets corrupted. This file contains all of the graphical sprites and music required for the game to launch. Since the file is corrupted, it is not recognized as a valid file to extract. However, because the file does actually exist, the game fails to re-download and fix it.

This is something that we plan to address in the future, but for now, the workaround is to delete the OBB file and restart the game. When the game restarts, it will re-download the OBB file and extract the files needed for the game.

To do this, please follow these steps:
  1. Make sure the game is not active in the background
  2. Using your favorite file manager (such as Solid Explorer, ES File Explorer, or if you have Marshmallow 6.0, the built-in one), go to the OBB folder via File Manager > Android > obb
  3. Delete the Terraria obb folder com.and.games505.Terraria
  4. Make sure you are connected to the internet
  5. Re-launch the Terraria app
This will re-download the OBB file and the game should launch correctly. All local save data will stay intact with this workaround as well.

NOTE: In some extreme cases, this process might need to be done multiple times until the OBB file is downloaded correctly.

"Unable to download. Enable Wifi or cellular download." Tried doing so on 4 bars LTE and on my internet. Not sure what's up with that. Thanks for the help, but perhaps another solution is in order.

I need help, my terraria isnt starting and giving me the failed download/install error, i tried RobPs solution 4 times and also deleted the obb file about 30 times and it still doesnt work. The only thing that comes to my mind is rooting my old phone and then copying the save data so i dont loose it with reinstalling. The support said i should get in touch with you guys in the forums.

Last edited:
I need help, my terraria isnt starting and giving me the failed download/install error, i tried RobPs solution 4 times and also deleted the obb file about 30 times and it still doesnt work. The only thing that comes to my mind is rooting my old phone and then copying the save data so i dont loose it with reinstalling. The support said i should get in touch with you guys in the forums.
That sounds frustrating. It seems like you've tried all the workarounds that I've seen. A reinstall might be what you need. Have you tried copying your local player and world data to the cloud within the game as detailed here: Mobile Backup Instructions

Or does the game not even let you get that far to do that? Sorry, I've never encountered the obb error, so I'm not familiar with at what point it gives you the error.

If it lets you do the manual backup by copying the local files to the cloud, you can reinstall and still get to your cloud saves. Just doublecheck that you're able to get to the cloud saves (maybe by logging in on another device to see them) before reinstalling.

Good luck, if anyone else has other things for you to try, hopefully they'll chime in.

I tried it doing about 10 times and it doesn't work.It always say 'Could not find obb file, re-install/re-launch the game.

P.S- R U AN OWL YUNIT WON?

I tried it doing about 10 times and it doesn't work.It always say 'Could not find obb file, re-install/re-launch the game.

P.S- R U AN OWL YUNIT WON?
It might be time to try to reinstall the game. Save all your local data to the cloud. Make sure that it's actually on the cloud before reinstalling, because reinstalling will delete all local data.

It might be time to try to reinstall the game. Save all your local data to the cloud. Make sure that it's actually on the cloud before reinstalling, because reinstalling will delete all local data.
I can't even save my character. I tries re-installing it but it still have the same thing. Maybe the update would fix or change it.

Device: Oppo

Last edited:
I've tried deleting the obb files multiple times but nothing happened, is this bug gonna be fixed in the update? I don't want to start the game all over again

I've tried deleting the obb files multiple times but nothing happened, is this bug gonna be fixed in the update? I don't want to start the game all over again
Hi @Lennai, I would definitely recommend waiting for the new update and see how the game works for you then. It’s just a couple more days until the update.

See

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-09-22-09-58-50.png
    Screenshot_2020-09-22-09-58-50.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 117
Back
Top Bottom