1. For issues you find with the Console 1.3 release, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
    A FAQ with notes and workarounds can be found HERE. Please check this first to see if this helps your issue.

World deleted

Discussion in 'PC Bug Reports' started by kmkkmk, Aug 31, 2017.

1. kmkkmk

kmkkmk Terrarian

My world (.wld) and backup (.bak) have been deleted.

• I played yesterday.
    • I found a .wld file in the windows recycling folder. The file's modification time matches with the start of my session yesterday.
    • There was no matching .wld.bak file in the recycler.
    • Only the world I played yesterday is affected my other worlds are fine.
    • When I load the old world it looks like the state of my world at the start of my session yesterday.
    • I am quite sure that I did not delete the file.
    • I am on Windows 10 with an offline world in single player.
    I currently assume that this was most likely cause by a bug in Terraria.
  2. Leinfors

Leinfors Quality Assurance Staff Member Moderator Re-Logic

@kmkkmk, what anti-virus program are you using?

If possible, take a look at the action log of your AVP; Terraria isn't supposed to delete world files, and we suspect that it is likely Windows or an Antivirus program doing so. More info could help us identify this. :)
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. kmkkmk

kmkkmk Terrarian

I am using the builtin Windows 10 anti-virus program. I understand that there is little you can do, since I do not have a reproducible test case. My report is therefore borderline useless and I was debating with myself, whether I should skip reporting the incident.

However I have looked at some source code of terraria available online and I noticed
    FileOperationAPIWrapper.MoveToRecycleBin(path); in Terraria.Utilities.FileUtilities.Delete which uses the recycler. Given the two observations:
    • deleted file was in the recycler (but .wld.bak was not),
    • the modification time matches with the start of my last play session
    I find it likely that Terraria was the program that issued the delete. I see two avenues:
    1. in the code paths around saving - One by one replace every step of the implementation with a statement that throws an exception. Do this one statement at a time. Thereby you systematically simulate random errors at every step of the saving algorithms.
    2. opening the .wld and/or .wld.bak files in other programs and saving the world in Terraria.
    I have done some testing on 2. (1. is not possible for me). With the help of https://superuser.com/a/857831 I could force a crash in Terraria, when the map was saved. (You might consider saving to a different file instead of crashing in this case.) Obviously the world was not updated but in contrast to my report the two files stayed in the worlds directory.

I understand completely if this issue cannot be resolved but it would obviously be nice.
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017