NPCs & Enemies World destructive boss fights

Ranadiel

Terrarian
Browsing through the suggestion forums i came up with an interesting idea. What if there was an option during world generation that the boss fights could be a bit more OP? Imagine fighting Skeletron Prime and his bombs messing up the landscape. Think about The Twins and Retinazer's laser leaving holes in the ground. Fight Plantera and have her destroy the jungle along the way with heir enormous seeds.

My ideas are as follows:
- During world creation special option can be chosen so that the world is suspectible to additional changes during fights.
- Some of the attacks of bosses would have strength to "pick" a block or a group of blocks. This would show in a manner of cracks added on blocks just like with mining and diminishing after a couple seconds if not hit again or making the block drop like a regular item (just like when mining). STRENGTH OF EACH ATTACK CAN BE DEBATABLE.

The following bosses would be influenced:
1. The Twins - All Retinazer laser attacks could affect the ground it shoots. As these attacks stop against solid blocks, they should influence them having some strength in destroying them.
2. Skeletron Prime - Grenades from Prime Cannon would destroy small group of blocks just like regular bombs, while death lasers from Prime Lasers would act just like Retinazers lasers.
3. The Destroyer - All lasers would have some strength (both from the boss and the Probes) to destroy the blocks, just like Retinazers lasers.
4. Plantera - Seed attacks (giant projectiles) would act like weak bombs, making a group of blocks near where they hit get "cracked" just like from lasers to eventually get destroyed if hit too fast, too often. Thorn ball attack would bounce off as usual, but crack the blocks it bounces off.
5. Golem - Bouncing fireballs could act like the Thorn ball attack from plantera, cracking the blocks that it hits when bouncing off them. Changing the mechanic of Golem Head lasers to die out on blocks, destroying them, could be a bit too much... But it's debatable.
6. Duke Fishron - All of his attacks that stop at blocks could crack them. Don't know much about fights with him, so can't say much.
7. Moon Lord - Phantasmal deathray, being in itself pretty OP (yet not going through blocks), could be a force that lashing from one side to the other destroyes A LOT of blocks during one swipe.
8. Pirate Invasion - All cannonballs being fired (by captains and the Flying Dutchman) would act like weak bombs, making a group of blocks near where they hit get "cracked", same as Plantera seeds.
9. Pumpkin Moon - Mourning Wood's flaming wood attack and greek fire attack could "crack" the blocks it hits.
10. Frost Moon - Everscreams bouncing ornaments would act like Plantera's Thornballs. Santa-NK1 chaingun would act like a stronger Retinazer laser and Missiles would "crack" the blocks they hit. Ice Queen frost shards would "crack" blocks they hit.
11. Martian Madness - Martian Saucers rockets would act like bombs, destroying tiles they hit, while the deathray (and it's berserk version) "crack" the blocks they hit.

All of this shouldn't apply to all mobs, as before encountering HC players would have a lot of their map (and probably base) destroyed already. Even so, all fights would be lethal to the landscape and arenas would have to be reconstructed (or chosen wisely), with the fights getting more action with the changing landscape.

People don't like their environment being destroyed. Why do you think clowns lost that ability? Even corruptors lost their corruption spread even though that's reversible.

So no.

People don't like their environment being destroyed. Why do you think clowns lost that ability? Even corruptors lost their corruption spread even though that's reversible.

So no.

They were a pain when i playing the game the first few times. Yet, i think some might find it interesting and develop strategies to adapt to it all. As i mentioned, not all attacks must necessarily destroy blocks, but only crack them to some extent. This would put more pressure on using sturdier materials for the arenas you fight in.

They were a pain when i playing the game the first few times. Yet, i think some might find it interesting and develop strategies to adapt to it all. As i mentioned, not all attacks must necessarily destroy blocks, but only crack them to some extent. This would put more pressure on using sturdier materials for the arenas you fight in.
I'll tell you what, if you introduce an easy way to uncrack blocks I'll shut up.

This could potentially create an interesting and dynamic environment when fighting bosses, but since any damage they cause would be permanent, I see it as being more annoying then anything.

I'll tell you what, if you introduce an easy way to uncrack blocks I'll shut up.
What about using a Hammer on them?

I agree with this bit, but Ranadiel mentioned a special option in world generation for it. So I'm OK with it on that basis.

@Ranadiel, the idea of bosses damaging the world is OK, but please make it more! If you have a special option, get the enemies involved as well. Clown bombs can destroy blocks, Corruptors can spread Corruption, Ichor Stickers spread Crimson, ... there are even rocket-launcher equipped Skeletons in the dungeon. Let them join in too! :)
Also, what are the stronger blocks? Coming to mind: Obsidian, Dungeon, Lihzahrd, Spooky Wood...

The main idea is that the blocks can be "cracked" more and more with each hit. For example Dirt Block has 10 strength (putting up fictional numbers here) and various softcore pickaxes can mine it from 1 to a couple hits, meaning that they can take from 1 to 5 block strength. This shows that different materials do have different strength (compare Dirt to Stone).

For each second though each "cracked" block would regain 1 strength (let it be like 10% of total strength for better calculation), which means that if the block isn't hit again multiple times (if one hit doesn't destroy it) then it would revert to full strength. I've seen this being done in Darkout game for digging - if you stop mining then the block quickly regains "strength" and you have to start over (the cracks on the block quickly fade). Why not just slow the process to have it regain full strength to 100% in 10 seconds? This would allow tougher bosses (with rapid fire attacks) to be able to hit single blocks many times and destroy them in the process. Smart players would run around to avoid it and allow the arena to "regenerate".

Additionally, a timer for each cracked orb (or regaining some strength each tick) would be the middle point of old mechanics (where you had to mine each block seperately and finish mining it) and the new mechanics (where you can mine blocks whenever you want). This would allow players to mine how they want, but force them to not dawdle too much when making tunnels.

This regeneration is the additional concept though. I know that Terraria currently has permanent "mining progression" on blocks, but i'm sure it could be modified so it slowly fades. This would make repairing the arenas or battle fields less of a worry to some extent.

I didn't want to get overboard with the idea, therefore i mentioned the bosses only. This mechanic could apply to everything and every mob as follows:
- Grenades, Bombs, Fish bombs, dynamite and explosives have their respective power. Each could crack a dirt block at the least, but a bomb could destroy dirt and rock. Ores it would leave cracked (or perhaps higher tier ores only like Gold/Plat and above, but others would get destroyed to items), whether obsidian, hellstone and above would be left cracked at most. Dynamite would be stronger and explosives infused with the wiring trigger could blow up a lot (it has GREAT strength). Boss bombs could be considered on the same level as regular Bombs.
- Arrows and bullets wouldn't crack anything.
- Lasers would be able to crack 1 strength per 10 damage given. Considering there aren't many magic weapons with high enough damage, picks and drills and such would still be the best tool for mining.
- Rockets would serve a greater deal being able to destroy weaker blocks like Dirt or Stone, but tougher materials would require better rockets (there are a few tiers of them as far as i remember). Boss rockets would be around 1st or 2nd tier rockets strength.
- Deathrays would be draining 1 strength (10% of total) for every tick it hits a block. This would definitely be OP, but Deathrays already are quite OP in their own way :p

Considering block strength from weakest to strongest:
1. Dirt would be at the same level as all types of sand, ash, silt, slush, snow, clay, ash and mud. The same with all platforms (although most projectiles pass through them).
2. Regular stone would be a bit tougher on par with 1st and 2nd tier SC ores (or all ores could be stronger than stone - debatable). Additionally grass blocks (all types), all types of wood (trees and player made variations except Spooky Wood), snow bricks, ice, hay, cactus, all honey blocks, stucco blocks.
3. Stone bricks, clay bricks, sandstone, hardened sand, ice bricks (we can all agree that snow is weaker than ice), mudstone, iridescent bricks, rainbow bricks, hive, sunplate blocks, dart traps, spikes, asphalt, crystal blocks, gemspark blocks, granite/marble.
4. Bricks made from SC ores, as well as hardened sandstone, demonite/crimtane and meteorite (require gold/plat pick just like demonite/crimtane). Also all gem blocks, granite/marble smooth blocks.
5. Obsidian/hellstone, demonite/crimtane bricks, meteorite bricks, dungeon bricks (in times long past they were immune to bombs and do require same tools as obsidian/hellstone to be mined), pearlstone/ebonstone, desert fossil, living fire blocks.
6. Obsidian/hellstone bricks, pearlstone/ebonstone bricks, cobalt/palladium, Spooky Wood (armor made from it is more durable compared to other wood armors), sturdy fossil.
7. Cobalt/palladium bricks, Mythril/orihalcum.
8. Mythril/orihalcum bricks, Adamantite/Titanium, Martian conduit plating.
9. Adamantite/Titanium bricks, Chlorophyte.
10. Chlorophyte bricks, lihzard bricks, lihzard traps, luminite, solar/nebula/vortex/stardust blocks.
11. Luminite bricks.

Others not mentioned here would be of level 1 or 2. The difference between levels wouldn't be subtle also. It could be that each level raises total strength by 5 (50%), which makes obsidian/hellstone 3 times stronger (having 30 strength) than dirt. Even with a space gun you would deplete up to 3 strength per shot (counting world progression as far as SC) and 3 strength would be regenerated each second. Comparing this to 1 strength regenerated each second for dirt, it shows that "tougher" blocks/bricks will be better suited as material for arenas.

Additionally, normal enemies trying to destroy blocks would have to be fast with attacks or be in greater numbers to try at least Dungeon Bricks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom