tModLoader World: Disconnected

weimer

Terrarian
Changes world generation so that newly-created worlds will feature disjoint "floating islands" of terrain separated by empty space. (Special structures like the Dungeon, Corruption or Ocean are not directly affected, but will have nothing around them.)

World Generation will take about five minutes longer than usual and may crash (sorry -- this is quite a hack). If it crashes just retry it a few times until it succeeds.

Islands are about 75 blocks wide and are spaced such that you can sometimes see the next island from from the edge of the current one. This balances the feeling of exploring the unknown with the boredom of spending minutes building a skybridge to nowhere.

A disconnected world of floating islands promotes survival-style concerns. For example, wood can be much harder to find because you cannot simply run sideways to chop down more trees. This also encourages exploration, as underground cabins are much easier to spot with nothing around them and minecart tracks become long rides into the unknown. The world remains dark below the cavern line, so you will need to bring your own torches. Grappling hooks and double jumps reign supreme.

If you are looking for a different kind of replay or a different type of challenge from something like "Expert/Hardcore", this may be of interest. With a minimal mod setup, this could create a bit of a novel experience. On the other hand, disconnected worlds could make a lovely playground for one of those early wings or high-power class mods, giving a good excuse to use such powers. This mod may even be a good fit for people who want to use the (unrelated) SkyBlocks mod but found its starter map to be too empty.

If you have never played this sort of map, the basic hint is to hollow out your first island and use those materials to make a bridge to the next island.

There have been other utilities that make these sorts of maps (and likely even do a better job) -- this has the advantage of integrating nicely with tModLoader, so if you have some other mod that adds an ore or whatever (e.g., Thorium) it should work in conjunction with this.

Download via tModLoader browser. Example screenshot and map snippets:

disconnected-screenshot.jpg

disconnected-map.jpg

This is a total hack, but I have fond memories of Terraria modding from tConfig and the like (Red Cloud, anyone?). The apparent recent resurgence of interest in things via tModLoader encouraged me to post this rather than keeping it local.

(Quick update uploaded which should hopefully reduce/remove worldgen crashing during the vanilla minecart phase.)

To give a better feel for what this is like in practice and to show compatibility, I made a new medium/expert world with a bunch of mods enabled:

BetterPotions.tmod imkSushisMod.tmod Rockos ARPG.tmod CalamityMod.tmod Infinity.tmod RPG.tmod CheatSheet.tmod IvysaurLevelsystem.tmod CompressedPotions.tmod KhaelisPotionExpansion.tmod TerrariaMod.tmod EnemyMods.tmod LegendOfTerraria3.tmod ThoriumMod.tmod EnergyMod.tmod MaxStackPlus.tmod Tremor.tmod Ersion.tmod PreHardmodeWings.tmod WorldDisconnected.tmod Fargowiltas.tmod QualityOfLifeStandard.tmod ZoaklenMod.tmod HelpfulHotkeys.tmod Randomod.tmod

Here are some screenshots.

1. Exploring a sandstone cave "island".
2. Expanding an abandoned house into a lived-in house. Not pretty, but quick.
3. Above-ground crimson.
4. Monsters still definitely spawn. Bats and other fliers are particularly obnoxious. Walkers often fall off the edge.
5. Sometimes you can only build a bridge and hope.
6. Settled sand/silt/etc. pillars can make for interesting barriers.
7. Cloud island hopping using the demon-class flight from another mod.
8. Exploring just below the surface.
9. A small granite island and house. Those granite elementals do spawn.
10. Bombing my way into the underground crimson.

ss01.jpg
ss02.jpg
ss03.jpg
ss04.jpg
ss05.jpg
ss06.jpg
ss07.jpg
ss08.jpg
ss10.jpg
ss11.jpg

These Mod looks realy cool C:

EDIT:I think it whould be cool if you add some Custom Recipes for making Items,that are hard to get in these World,easier to get C:

Can you better out Bee Hives? you can go trough the Beehive and there is no Quen Bee Summon Tile

Very interesting! I may have to give this a try sometime; the limited ore resources could pose an interesting challenge. May also be nice for people like me who have terrible computers and have better framerates in open areas.

Do normal floating islands still spawn? How about Jungle Shrines and Living Trees? Do enough underground cabins spawn to give the player at least one of each unique item? It's a lot of questions, I know, but I'm pretty curious about these sorts of aspects regarding RNG with this kind of world.

Very interesting! I may have to give this a try sometime; the limited ore resources could pose an interesting challenge. May also be nice for people like me who have terrible computers and have better framerates in open areas.

Do normal floating islands still spawn? How about Jungle Shrines and Living Trees? Do enough underground cabins spawn to give the player at least one of each unique item? It's a lot of questions, I know, but I'm pretty curious about these sorts of aspects regarding RNG with this kind of world.

My Framerate is more bad on these mod C:
60+ without
40 with these Mods world
I think its because lightning C:
I only know that FLoating Islands Still spawn and Living trees to

Hey there! This seems really cool, what a unique idea!
I may have a tip, but whether it's useful depends on how you're currently doing this.
How is this programmed? Are you currently letting the vanilla WorldGen do it's job, then cut parts away? What may be a lot faster is overriding the vanilla WorldGen fully, and apply your own patches of island. Just a thought.

I have discovered a fatal error in this world type, I'm 99% certain it would happen with any world which is generated with this mod

Hell is Flooded with Lava, There is no way to get around the flooding of hell unless you want to spend days slowly taking the lava with buckets and finding a way to destroy it, Or if someone makes an item which makes you absolutely immune to lava

I could suggest adding a solid layer of something like stone or ash just above hell so that the lava doesn't get to fall into hell, But I'm not sure how hard that would be, Since I've not done much in terms of modding or coding myself

Other than that this is a pretty dang cool mod, Hopefully you'll find a workaround for the hell flooding

Also, the oceans don't generate properly, at least in my world. Both oceans generated in the caverns level as opposed to aboveground, preventing normal ocean spawns (crabs, sharks, etc)

For me, the oceans generated normally. However, the issue of hell being flooded with the lava that would normally be contained in pockets is a serious issue. A friend and I were playing with this generation and it took us hours to clear out the lava just to kill the Wall of Flesh. Hopefully you can look into this for the future.

First time posting here, signed up just so I can comment on this particular thread.

While I absolutely love the mod as it's introduced a fresh new way to play the game, I encountered a rather nasty issue: the lack of Spider Caverns.

Presently in our (private) server world generated via this mod, I have uncovered one huge sand column with Spider Cavern walls to the right of the map, underneath the ocean. It took quite a bit of work for me to make it accessible, but the problem is spawning the Spider Cave creatures. The Wall Creepers will almost always spawn outside the column of sand, and since there's no other way to enter or exit the column in order to despawn the spiders (the walls are made of sand, which are affected by gravity) besides going to the extreme top or bottom, I fear this may have an impact on spawning the Webbed Stylist NPC.

I'll update if anything happens, but so far this (and the fact that Hell gets completely flooded with lava especially on Medium/Large worlds, which the other posters have noted) is the only gripe I have, since I personally think this mod is excellent and allows for more map customization/terraforming. :)

Screenshot of the Spider Column:

Capture%202016-08-22%2023_51_28_zpsav30r3lj.png

EDIT: Found her using a different character that can move much more quickly.

domyhair0000_zpsq4eawqo2.png

Last edited:
Hello, I mostly made this account simply to ask this question. Now, I don't know if I have to wait longer, but. When I'm loading, the world seems to get stuck on the 'Placing Traps' part of loading. This is on a small world size with a small amount of mods. Mostly just cheat sheet and add-ons.

Back
Top Bottom