Biomes & Nature World Generation Options

Would you want to see generation options?

• Yes, as a main feature

• Yes, as a toggleable config option

• Maybe

• Nah, i don't think this will be worth it

• Other opinion (Post below please :D)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Captain Taz

Terrarian
My apologies if someone's posted this before, I did a quick search and nothing came up, so I decided to throw this out there.

I believe there needs to be an option when you generate a new world, where you can choose either corruption or crimson as your "corrupt" biome (And maybe between hallow types too if a hallow counterpart is introduced)

I'm not the most experienced with programming and the like (I have very basic knowledge), but I don't believe it would be too tricky to exchange having an automatic random command to the world generator, for precise controls. (Someone correct me if there is something with the game engine that prevents this sort of thing)

The reason I'm suggesting this is mainly because it would be nice to avoid the inconvenience that is creating a large world, and getting the wrong biome type. I, personally, am a Corruption guy, I like the more evil look instead of the fleshy look of the crimson, and I don't really wanna spend 5-15 minutes generating new worlds till I get a corruption one. (Large worlds are what I like, but when it combos getting crimson, and with my luck, that happens often, I have to wait for the world to entirely generate, before deleting it, so that's not very fun at all x_x)

Obviously, there would be a random button for those who like the randomness (Or even an option in the config file that enables the choosing options if that's preferable)

(If replacing the random generation is out of the question, how about a "Cancel world generation" button maybe?)

I'd like to hear feedback on this. :)

As above said, (and I am his close friend, so I have some bias admittedly), I don't believe that it would be too hard to implement as I believe it would change it from choosing a random code (with an option to do so) and instead add a trigger to choose a specific biome (as he said, Corruption, Crimson, Hallow, or the hopeful Hallow counterpart) to make it easy for players to choose what they want.

It would also be nice to be able to choose some of the more exclusive things, such as:
Ores
Dungeon Color
Corruption and Crimson in one world possibly, if it doesn't alter too much code
similar with Hallow variance
Pyramid or no pyramid

And anything else that may be world exclusive.

I also believe that the first world you ever generate in Terraria should be forced random. That way, it's an experience the first time, and the rest is up to you.

This is a game that is about creative freedom and shaping your world, as well as surviving and fighting and exploration. Exploring a world you made would feel more right to me.

As above said, feedback is appreciated. :D

It was suggested somewhere (dont remeber the thread name) and ill present the same agruement as before. Crimson>Corruption. So the number of people that have corruption worlds would rapidly drop. Same with ores. You might want to consider this.

It was suggested somewhere (dont remeber the thread name) and ill present the same agruement as before. Crimson>Corruption. So the number of people that have corruption worlds would rapidly drop. Same with ores. You might want to consider this.
Yet, as my friend stated, some people prefer Corruption. Doesn't matter what has better drops, if you want a specific ore, that should be configurable later on. Maybe not your first world, but worlds that you want, should have what you want.

For one, I have never generated, in my good amount of worlds, a dungeon with Pink Dungeon Brick. That's all I want. Because of the RNG of Terraria, I can't get that.
I very rarely get Crimson, despite preferring the look of Crimson to Corruption. That's what I want, my preference, my world.
Similarily, I want Iron, Gold, Copper, and Silver, the four originals. Because I like the way it looks in-game. Similarily, I want Cobalt, Orichalcum, and Adamantite, although most people say that Palladium beats out Cobalt. I want it for looks, and if someone else wants it just for the good ores, then fine, let them be that way.
I want a pyramid, but that one's a bit iffy, because who doesn't?
If the linked Hallow variant was added (which it probably won't because new biomes are generally avoided), I would definitely prefer it to Hallow, because I love desserts and it completely counters Crimson, even more than Corruption and Hallow counter each other.

And odds are, I will never generate a random world that has everything I want.

I want these options for my personal worlds that I play singleplayer on. Maybe a multiplayer world with friends. The fact that corruption worlds drop shows that maybe people want Crimson, not Corruption. It's a fair argument, but I feel that the benefit outweighs that negative, because players should be able to get what they want instead of generating a thousand worlds to get the features you want. Especially when you get to Hardmode and find out that those features don't exist (Cobalt, Orichalcum, Adamantite). You spend a good 5 minutes generating a world, then if that world has everything you want (10 minute scan, perhaps?) you dig to hell and kill the Wall of Flesh, then go check the Hallow, then go break altars to see if the ore you want was generated (which all of that is another 10 minutes, usually, if you're fast and using a good character, don't get me started if it's a fresh character) only to find "Hey, look, this has the ore I didn't want. Time to try again."

My point is that the benefit outweighs the odds. And really, what would be wrong with people wanting to play Crimson versus Corruption? If the Corruption is inferior to Crimson (which in some ways I agree, other ways I don't), buff the Corruption. Or better yet, add an option for both, if it's easy.

Overall, I feel as if allowing players to choose what world they want to build their final home in is a good idea. Personally, I have beaten the game twice, and twice before 1.2, and the game is starting to get dull. If I could do a playthrough on my dream world, it'd give me more playtime than I already have. More replay value is NEVER a bad thing.

Sorry for the wall of text, I hope you don't mind reading. TL;DR, for later people, the point of customizable worlds is to avoid randomly generating thousands of worlds to try and get the features you like. If you prefer Crimson to Corruption for power, perhaps Corruption needs a buff.

The problem with that argument is the fact that it gets surpassed by just said players just generating a new world anyway to get their crimson. Why not just give the tools to the players to shorten useless timewaste like that?

also, does it really matter what world type is most used? doesn't effect much tbh seeing as any gear that comes from it is superbly outclassed by endgame, just like the plain old ores, (Whom personally, I skip now thanks to fossils, even in expert)

it's not like it has that big of an impact on the game. if anything, it's an improvement to allow players to make what they want.

The problem with that argument is the fact that it gets surpassed by just said players just generating a new world anyway to get their crimson. Why not just give the tools to the players to shorten useless timewaste like that?
As someone who will sometimes specifically go out of my way to get Corruption rather than Crimson (since 1.2's launch Crimson has ranked among my least favorite additions to the game- and while I think more highly of it than I did before, it still does not rank highly on my list), I can honestly back this up. If I want one or the other, I will GET the one I want, even if it means generating 20 different worlds.

That being said, if nothing else I want to be able to decide which infection(s) I get, and make sure whichever hardmode ores I get, I get one set or the other. The game really likes giving me Palladium, Orichalcum, and Adamantite, and I hate that, partially because OCD, partially because Ada kinda sucks compared to Titanium or Orichalcum (which is an issue for another thread).

Considering the amount of alternates are rapidly escalating, this should be an option come creative mode. While we're at that, why not include the ability to toggle biome spawning after WoF, breaking altars or have the ability to disable their spread, or both.

There are times I want to design a world according to my whims but leaving hellevators every 120 blocks to clentaminate each portion of the field is gods tiring. I only have 2 above ground stretches of ordinary forest, both of which are too small and the underground populated with crimstone.

Or have the ability to purge the corruption/hallow off altered biome blocks so I can use them for regular construction and crafting (but this is a suggestion different altogether).

Please don't bump threads like this, it's against the rules and is unfair to others with suggestion threads. You need to add significant, on-topic content to your post to do this. Thanks.
Oh, thank you for notifying me of this. I'm used to suggestion threads being allowed a once-per-24-hour boost to get opinions that missed it the first time. My apologies.

If there will ever be worldgen options, they must not tell beginners what is what.

Example: instead of "Please, choose between Corruption and Crimson" there must be something like "What will you find more terrifying - demonic, dark, alien creatures or gross, disgusting, fleshy creatures"?

Same with ore, dungeon color, etc.

If there will ever be worldgen options, they must not tell beginners what is what.

Example: instead of "Please, choose between Corruption and Crimson" there must be something like "What will you find more terrifying - demonic, dark, alien creatures or gross, disgusting, fleshy creatures"?

thats why I suggested possibly making it enable-able in config.json

There is no way this makes sense in a game design point of view, considering Terraria has always been straightforward. Make it simple. Sticking it to config.json might work, and for many it will but personally I find it rather... inaccessible, but I'd rather have the option just saying "Note: changing any of these parameters will severely alter game progression and may make the game boring to play with if it is your first time doing so. We suggest making a map and playing it until you really want to create a construction-oriented creative world."

Why not just have it preset to random and there would be a cog wheel icon that lets you change it if you want to so newer players don't feel intimidated by the meta out the gate. Later when they're adequate with the game they can try the counterpart corruption or crimson

My apologies if someone's posted this before, I did a quick search and nothing came up, so I decided to throw this out there.

I believe there needs to be an option when you generate a new world, where you can choose either corruption or crimson as your "corrupt" biome (And maybe between hallow types too if a hallow counterpart is introduced)

I'm not the most experienced with programming and the like (I have very basic knowledge), but I don't believe it would be too tricky to exchange having an automatic random command to the world generator, for precise controls. (Someone correct me if there is something with the game engine that prevents this sort of thing)

The reason I'm suggesting this is mainly because it would be nice to avoid the inconvenience that is creating a large world, and getting the wrong biome type. I, personally, am a Corruption guy, I like the more evil look instead of the fleshy look of the crimson, and I don't really wanna spend 5-15 minutes generating new worlds till I get a corruption one. (Large worlds are what I like, but when it combos getting crimson, and with my luck, that happens often, I have to wait for the world to entirely generate, before deleting it, so that's not very fun at all x_x)

Obviously, there would be a random button for those who like the randomness (Or even an option in the config file that enables the choosing options if that's preferable)

(If replacing the random generation is out of the question, how about a "Cancel world generation" button maybe?)

I'd like to hear feedback on this. :)

Finally someone who has a good suggestion.

This was suggested by me a few weeks ago, you can check out and support that thread to help get this implemented. Also this belongs in Game Mechanics anyway.

Hmm... maybe have the ability to chose be unlocked by in-game "checkpoints", so to speak? Like the ability to choose corruption or crimson becomes available after you kill EoW or BoC, for example.

Yea that would be good for getting the perfect world. Customizing a would be like creating a world with Terra Customs. It is a program that lets you do this but not everyone has this ability. The ability to choose Corruption or Crimson, Old Ores or New Ores, Color Dungeon, where the Spread Biomes Spawn (Hallow and Corruption/Crimson Closer to Dungeon Side or Jungle Side of the world) and other things that can make a world unique.

My thought process on World Generation Custom Options would be like this:
=== First, the Game would ask Small, Medium, or Large World.
=== Second, the Game would ask Normal or Expert Mode.
=== Third, the Game displays the following Clickable Words.
=== Finaly, the Game will ask you to name your World.
=== Then the world Generates.

=== Third Screen Options
"Select Advanced Options"
~ World's Ores
~ Object Designs
~ World's Biomes
~ Randomize (Clicking this will set all options in the Sub Screens above to Random)
~ Done (Moves on to the name selecting screen)

=== World's Ores
(Stuff in parenthesis are the stuff clicking the options will cycle through)
~ Copper or Tin (Random/Copper/Tin)
~ Iron or Lead (Random/Iron/Lead)
~ Silver or Tungsten (Random/Silver/Tungsten)
~ Gold or Platinum (Random/Gold/Platinum)
~ Cobalt or Palladium (Random/Iron/Palladium)
~ Mythril or Orichalcum (Random/Mythril/Orichalcum)
~ Adamantite or Titanium (Random/Adamantite/Titanium)

=== Object Designs
~ Moon Style (Random/1/2/3)
~ Tree Style West Side (Random/1/2/3/4/5/6)
~ Tree Style Central Area (Random/1/2/3/4/5/6)
~ Tree Style East Side (Random/1/2/3/4/5/6)
~ Dungeon Color (Random/Blue/Pink/Green)

=== World's Biomes
~ Evil Biome (Random/Corruption/Crimson)
~ Side of Evil Biome (Random/West/East)
(Side of Evil Biome option determines where the Hardmode Corruption/Crimson and Hallow spawn come Hardmode)
~ Side of Jungle (Random/West/East)

This is How I think the world should be customized. Through an advanced options screen.

Back
Top Bottom