Switch worldgen consistently messed up and sandstorms bugged

mothman

Terrarian
i stopped playing terraria on switch a year or so ago, I don't remember what version of the game i played last. i recently returned to play splitscreen, and have noticed some bugs/weird behavior that never used to happen. if these are known or intentional please let me know, but i am comparing with the 1.4 PC version and an earlier switch version, which is why i think they are bugs.

1. first and foremost, world generation has been really messed up. to preface, i am only using large worlds, but noticed this with a medium world first (i switched to large bc i thought the biomes were too smushed together due to smaller world size). every new world has at least 2 extra "mini" deserts, usually 3-5. This would be less of an issue without point 2 below. in general, worldgen has seemed more chaotic, incongruous, and 'ugly' or unnatural. there's huge straight walls/biomes with 100 tile height differences, dungeons that are inaccessible without breaking dungeon blocks, and weird gaps or tiny sections of biomes inside other biomes (like 50 tiles of snow in the middle of the desert). these are not one-offs either, i have spent hours looking for a world without these things and have come up with nothing. it acutally looks a lot like what people used to post about messed up mobile worldgen.

2. sandstorms - sandstorm winds are almost constantly present in all desert areas, with a minute or less of calm in between. this wouldn't be such a problem if not for the fact that they frequently make it impossible to move against. without a grappling hook and place to grapple, you can't get through. even with grappling, you can spend 4+ minutes getting through a 100 block wide mini desert. it definitely isn't like this in 1.4, and i don't remember dealing with it in earlier switch versions.

I'm not sure what's going on with the wacky worldgen, if it's even a bug at all, but sandstorm prevelance is a known issue. 1.4's initial release had quatered sandstorm frequency and reduced the pushback of Mighty Wind. It wasn't an issue in earlier Switch versions because sandstorms were added in a recent update, after you left.

I always fly over deserts in Switch if I can, avoiding the biome entirely.

Back
Top Bottom