Worst trends in media

MugoUrth

Terrarian
Honestly, I have a long rant planned for a trend I've noticed for the past few decades that I have really been just frustrated over, but I kind of want to hear other people's hated trends, first.

Beginning of story:
Main character doesn't want or is otherwise not interested in having a relationship, not because of trauma or anything like that, they're just not interested.
End:
Main character is in deep (typically heterosexual) relationship.

Like, why do people feel like every character has to end up in some kind of relationship?

have you ever heard of the condom challenge?
its basically where people would chock it into their noses and take it out from their mouths

things like this are dangerous

Cancel culture itself is a :red: trend in media, and it is not limited to weebs on Twitter, news articles like to write clickbait stories, books like to be made to scandalously defame people based on little evidence, and Youtube just deletes people off their platform for little to no reason

I think one of the more terrible trends I've seen lately is the men vs. women-spheres [YouTube, Social Media, Talk Shows, Podcasts, Forums]. 🤔 🍵

We've always been very different and wanted different things out of life [men and women], but I don't think there's ever been a war of the sexes this brutal, at least not where we're enjoying when people die [Kevin Samuels], lose their livelihood, or get "canceled".

I especially have issue with men gaining pleasure from seeing women fail [Amber Heard], be harmed, lose big or get hit with "life bombs", as if there isn't something to be learned, or wisdom taken away from such a lesson; that any human being receives. Celebrating another persons misery or misfortune is a dark place to dwell I think, and that seems like the devils playground.

men_are_from_mars_book_2.jpg

It's not like we didn't know that there were things we could all improve upon [either sex], published in 1992, "Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus" was a perfect example of professionals and deep thinkers trying to bridge the gap between us [men and women]; however, something went terribly wrong and I'm not sure exactly how we got here. 🤔 🍵

I can only assume this is a war against "modern men" and "modern women", and if that's the case... I have no interest in this new "modern idealism". I'm totally with comfortable dying as a "back in my day" old man, 'cause these new-age values ain't for me...

I think one of the more terrible trends I've seen lately is the men vs. women-spheres [YouTube, Social Media, Talk Shows, Podcasts, Forums]. 🤔 🍵

We've always been very different and wanted different things out of life [men and women], but I don't think there's ever been a war of the sexes this brutal, at least not where we're enjoying when people die [Kevin Samuels], lose their livelihood, or get "canceled".

I especially have issue with men gaining pleasure from seeing women fail [Amber Heard], be harmed, lose big or get hit with "life bombs", as if there isn't something to be learned, or wisdom taken away from such a lesson; that any human being receives. Celebrating another persons misery or misfortune is a dark place to dwell I think, and that seems like the devils playground.

View attachment 374296

It's not like we didn't know that there were things we could all improve upon [either sex], published in 1992, "Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus" was a perfect example of professionals and deep thinkers trying to bridge the gap between us [men and women]; however, something went terribly wrong and I'm not sure exactly how we got here. 🤔 🍵

I can only assume this is a war against "modern men" and "modern women", and if that's the case... I have no interest in this new "modern idealism". I'm totally with comfortable dying as a "back in my day" old man, 'cause these new-age values ain't for me...
The internet is politicised nowadays, so impressionable kids grow up on it and hop immediately into basal tribalism and "culture-wars" for the thrill of it, even if that means extrapolating it to broad subjects for no observable purpose (besides creating more sides/tribes). Everyone and their grandma can have an opinion on a vaguely socio-political subject and feel like they're welcome in whichever metaphorical tribe they side with on said subject, then gain some sense of identity from railing against the other "tribe". I feel like many people enjoy labels, whether directed at themselves or others; mainly for waging some sort of social war against a variety of unrelated topics/concepts for an undefined (mostly directionless) goal. I don't even know if there is a goal, since it seems more like it's merely to alleviate boredom, or for them to take comfort in the notion that it's achieving something. It raises whether they've lost the ability to perceive an individual, rather than a vast monolithic collective they find easier to generalise. Every man and woman is themselves, not a hivemind constructed of sweeping assertions affixed to their gender — which makes it quite confusing when you see childish attempts to create clans of them.

A lot of websites I've frequented for years seem to have been overtaken by a desire (particularly with new users and traffic) to insert broad cultural conflicts into the subtext of most content all of a sudden, mainly at the expense of the userbase who were previously defined by appreciation or creative interest for the actual topic of the website; be that a game, media, hobby, etc. Essentially, it's more common to actively look for conflict than ever, even if there isn't actually much ground for creating it besides an impulsive desire to direct aggression towards "something". Even the post I'm making right now seems somewhat inane by virtue of relating to it, even if it's merely a meta view on that sort of discourse, purely because I lament the association with it. I think a lot would be solved if more people reeled themselves in a bit, focused on their more optimistic interests.

The internet is politicised nowadays, so impressionable kids grow up on it and hop immediately into basal tribalism and "culture-wars" for the thrill of it, even if that means extrapolating it to broad subjects for no observable purpose (besides creating more sides/tribes). Everyone and their grandma can have an opinion on a vaguely socio-political subject and feel like they're welcome in whichever metaphorical tribe they side with on said subject, then gain some sense of identity from railing against the other "tribe".
I would've hoped by now that us humans understood the classical strategy of "divide and conquer", but perhaps that's one of the reasons it's such an effective tactic; people know that it works, even know of its existence, but still can't help themselves, thus making it a tactic that no one group will ever be immune?? 🤔 🍵

I feel like many people enjoy labels, whether directed at themselves or others; mainly for waging some sort of social war against a variety of unrelated topics/concepts for an undefined (mostly directionless) goal. I don't even know if there is a goal, since it seems more like it's merely to alleviate boredom, or for them to take comfort in the notion that it's achieving something. It raises whether they've lost the ability to perceive an individual, rather than a vast monolithic collective they find easier to generalise. Every man and woman is themselves, not a hivemind constructed of sweeping assertions affixed to their gender — which makes it quite confusing when you see childish attempts to create clans of them.
...which is strange, because this generation really had me going, considering the idea of doing away with labels, only to then start replacing old labels with newer ones; trying to reinvent the wheel, as if the old one needed to be "broken" [a Game of Thrones reference]. I'm all for breaking the wheel, but don't then go trying to replace it with a "worse one".

It's undeniable that generations before this one, were trying their best to turn people into numbers, I'll never support that. This generation however, sales you a dream of inclusion and tolerance, in likely the least tolerant society I've seen in my lifetime. This "dream selling" aspect is probably my least favorite thing... I don't like deception.

"Death of the individual" repackaged and sold.

A lot of websites I've frequented for years seem to have been overtaken by a desire (particularly with new users and traffic) to insert broad cultural conflicts into the subtext of most content all of a sudden, mainly at the expense of the userbase who were previously defined by appreciation or creative interest for the actual topic of the website; be that a game, media, hobby, etc. Essentially, it's more common to actively look for conflict than ever, even if there isn't actually much ground for creating it besides an impulsive desire to direct aggression towards "something". Even the post I'm making right now seems somewhat inane by virtue of relating to it, even if it's merely a meta view on that sort of discourse, purely because I lament the association with it. I think a lot would be solved if more people reeled themselves in a bit, focused on their more optimistic interests.
That's the tricky part about all of this, in order to be optimistic, you have to believe in something; oftentimes something much greater than yourself. I'm not entirely sure if this generation believes in anything... perhaps in their "personal truths"??

Anything that revolves around simply being a douche and harming others, like devious licks that is literally just blatantly stealing things from schools..?

There is no shortage of bad trends in the media nowadays. One of the worst is the way that news is often presented in a way that is designed to generate fear and outrage instead of providing accurate information. This has led to a situation where people are more likely to believe fake news stories than ones that are based on facts. Another worrying trend is the way that social media is being used to spread hatred and division. Instead of promoting open dialogue and understanding, social media is often used as a platform for people to share their prejudiced views with the world. These are just some of the worst trends in the media that are having a negative impact on society.

A lot of this if not most or all written here is directly connected to “freedom” and emotional disconnect. I’ve watched this trend growing for decades not to mention the misuse of the word ego leading to absolute feminism. These are connected to comedies for instance where a joke is made with a victim and then laughter is played/recorded for the viewers. Quite frankly it’s disgusting. True humor does not need to victimize someone or something. This “system” here is binary and we are watching the hidden hands of the elite further the problem…playing black and white when in the middle.…waves finger.

Imo lately aliens, and mental health awareness.

Aliens, because it's generally unproductive and leads to a ton of mindless speculation.

The Mental Health Awareness thing needs elaborated.
To start, mental health is very important and people should get help if they truly need it. That said...
They've been pushing it really heavily and it seems like a sort of blame shifting, like the world's a disaster, possibly always has been, and being stressed, upset, depressed, angry, etc honestly just seems like a rational reaction to all of that, but your mental health is clearly the issue here that needs addressed rather than I dunno making an effort to fix the things people are stressing out about in the first place. Like they've shifted it to people being in crisis, rather than people are just trying to cope with a world that's in crisis.

Imo lately aliens, and mental health awareness.

Aliens, because it's generally unproductive and leads to a ton of mindless speculation.

The Mental Health Awareness thing needs elaborated.
To start, mental health is very important and people should get help if they truly need it. That said...
They've been pushing it really heavily and it seems like a sort of blame shifting, like the world's a disaster, possibly always has been, and being stressed, upset, depressed, angry, etc honestly just seems like a rational reaction to all of that, but your mental health is clearly the issue here that needs addressed rather than I dunno making an effort to fix the things people are stressing out about in the first place. Like they've shifted it to people being in crisis, rather than people are just trying to cope with a world that's in crisis.
Oh my god this reminded me of how people have sensationalized things like autism and ADHD on the internet recently and it drives me MAD.

I see things reposted like "look at this tik-tok of 10 things all people with ADHD can relate to" and it's a bunch of things that are vaguely things most people with ADHD and not can relate to and it results in a lot of young teens self-diagnosing themselves and turning it into this trendy thing where they wear it as a label in their Twitter bio for clout like it's a band slogan. Really infuriating as someone who has struggled with mental-health related issues my whole life and has been to doctors who have actually diagnosed me, and now I'm seeing all of these people spreading a lot of misinformation about it.

I think it comes from a place of good intentions, but it actually reinforces stereotypes and is harmful and really undermines a lot of the actual issues people suffer from. There have been studies that have shown young people are getting lonelier, and mental health is declining in general. I think this generalization of mental health issues and "trendiness" has been a disaster and takes us further away from breaking down stigmas and normalizing it. It's actually DISCOURAGING people to seek professional help because you can take a buzzfeed quiz instead to diagnose yourself. :red: like this makes me genuinely sick when I see it on my timeline and it feels dystopian.

Back
Top Bottom