Would people be okay with a mod changing yoyos from melee to custom damage?

LadyLone

Steampunker
So I've been working on a content mod that has yet to be revealed with some other people. One of the major things it would do is change all yoyos (including yoyos added by other mods) to deal a custom damage type instead of melee. I know class based playthroughs are popular and sometimes people play using only yoyos. Yoyos could be considered a specific type of weapon like bows and guns are for rangers although there is no yoyo damage stat like with arrow, bullet, and rocket damage stats. Yoyos only still means melee armor, accessories, and buff flasks. However many people probably like using yoyos along side their other melee weapons. I get the feeling that people wouldn't be okay with yoyos suddenly being taken away from melee and into its own custom damage type. It would mean the armors and possibly some accessories that boost yoyos would be limited only to the particular mod that changes their damage type.

I understand my own Expanded Sentries mod changes the sentry sub class of summoner weapons into a new class. Even among mods there were few sentry weapons and I added a bunch of new ones. The Crimson Rod, Nimbus Rod, and Clinger Staff were converted from magic into sentry damage. I've seen the former two used as if they were sentries in summoner only playthroughs. However, unlike sentries, yoyos are pretty commonly added by mods and could be a much bigger deal for people who prefer yoyos to remain melee. A workaround were vanilla yoyo accessories having counterparts that change yoyo back to melee damage, although that might not be so desirable for some.

I also know some mods have boomerangs as separate melee and throwing versions. With yoyos that wouldn't quite be possible as easily especially with other modded yoyos.

I would like this, As long as there is enough yo yo class gear added, And maybe you could make it so the yoyo bag would boost yoyo damage, Have a yoyo class emblem maybe, add in a new fragment type that had new armor, Weapons and some other things. I just think it would be a great idea, And that you would execute is perfectly seeing how great you are at making mods (I'm speaking about expanded sentries if you didn't realize)

EDIT: I really think that yoyos need more love, they really just don't seem very important in my opinion, but if you made this a thing i feel like that might change my opinion a bit ;)

Thanks for saying I'm great at making mods. I'm currently the only coder on a WIP mod that will add multiple classes, including making yoyos their own class, plus some extra types and weapons to go along with them. A yoyo emblem is already in along with fragments, although the fragments currently don't craft into anything yet. Given how that's end game, it'll be quite some time before anything else is done with those.

I think if you have enough accessory and armor stage for it it become perfect. Only its being in a line. It will be either make people think it nerf them a lot since yoyo’s damages and special projectile abilities feed from melee side and all other mods melee special abilities feed them or make them think yoyos become finally unique and fitting since they are really different then melee in style and they happily use that mod. I trust in you friend and I believe you will do it perfect so I will wait it excited if you work on it. Still I want to tell one thing. Friend only they need enough accessory and armor for that but since expanded sentry is really nice I believe you can do that.

Last edited:
Yay, I cant wait for it! And yeah the yoyo don't really fit into melee like sir AFK said so that is another reason for this.

Back
Top Bottom