NPCs & Enemies Wraith spawning while at home is annoying.

Nakano15

Terrarian
I mean, seriously. I'm trying to have my character relax a bit on his underground shelter, and then comes those wraiths to bother him every night.
Even though my shelter doesn't have npcs living in It, I think the spawn of wraiths could be nullified if the player is in a player placed wall, kind of what happens to Wyverns, unless It's happening a blood moon at the moment (or maybe even the player is on a graveyard).

And no, I wont build a suspended shelter.

The game needs these annoying threats to keep it fun. But if you really want it, set up constantly running spiky ball, flamethrower and spear trap system. Also, place sunflowers and peace candles to lower spawn rates.

Or build one that isn’t stuck in the ground.

Unfortunately the only way to stop them from spawning is to have at least 3 NPCs in one place. alternatively you could move deeper underground as eventually they stop spawning once you go deep enough.

Unfortunately the only way to stop them from spawning is to have at least 3 NPCs in one place. alternatively you could move deeper underground as eventually they stop spawning once you go deep enough.
Or high enough. If your base is about 15 blocks above the ground, wraiths shouldn’t be a problem

In Expert +, enemies can still spawn with many NPCs nearby, just way less often. I’ve had wraiths attack town NPCs in a full town quite often.

Or high enough. If your base is about 15 blocks above the ground, wraiths shouldn’t be a problem
They said that's not an option for them
In Expert +, enemies can still spawn with many NPCs nearby, just way less often. I’ve had wraiths attack town NPCs in a full town quite often.
If that's true, you were very unlucky. I didn't even know that could happen. You'll most likely get a different enemy to spawn instead anyway.

They said that's not an option for them

If that's true, you were very unlucky. I didn't even know that could happen. You'll most likely get a different enemy to spawn instead anyway.

According to the wiki, spawns are completely nullified in towns in Normal but there’s a 1/30 chance to spawn an enemy per tick in Expert. Wraiths have a somewhat uncommon spawn rate, but it’s high enough to deal with one every so often with this 1/30 restriction.

It really does happens quite often on expert, and non-melee town NPCs usually can't deal with them. It happened several times a wraith killed my neighbor merchant or some other NPC offscreen while I was organising stuff in my storages at home. it's annoying, because often, they're dead by the time you could even get there to help.

According to the wiki, spawns are completely nullified in towns in Normal but there’s a 1/30 chance to spawn an enemy per tick in Expert. Wraiths have a somewhat uncommon spawn rate, but it’s high enough to deal with one every so often with this 1/30 restriction.
I must be extremely lucky then, because my biome of choice (the jungle) is supposed to have super high spawnrates and I don't even get any common zombies/bats/slimes.

I must be extremely lucky then, because my biome of choice (the jungle) is supposed to have super high spawnrates and I don't even get any common zombies/bats/slimes.
In harmode, turtles and derplings - and flying foxes the night, right? - are some of the most common stuff to see in the surface jungle? And man-eaters, which actually also can reach into NPCs' houses at random, and kill them while they try to reach you, but you're far. they don't even have to be on-screen, and reach into a house with safe walls just because they can.

The whole town thing has that weakness, in pretty much all biomes, - even on normal mode - that once you leave the town's area, monsters can spawn, and even right into the town (which is now off-screen), where they can quickly murder everyone, rendering your pylon useless until the NPCs respawn.

Technically, I guess, maybe most monsters could be kept out with lots of walls, or if the structures built to make sure NPCs can't wander away, but stay in a certain, safe place where no monsters can reach - but I think "towns" doesn't supposed to mean "prisons".

But wraiths just laugh at your zombie proof doors in surface forest and hallow towns, as they float in, and kill your neighbors.

Would be nice to have some way to keep them out, like, - a random idea, but, what if they could be kept away with light? since they're malicious, dark creatures and stuff. - that could go for some other nighttime menaces, but clearly that would be way too easy then. plus zombies are not really a problem besides very early game anyway. Wraits however are.
So, like, how about lights could keep wraits away?

The game needs these annoying threats to keep it fun. But if you really want it, set up constantly running spiky ball, flamethrower and spear trap system. Also, place sunflowers and peace candles to lower spawn rates.

I suppose a complex trap system could work, but it looks like a hassle to build, and more than that, it would likely look unsightly, which might be a concern, when other stuff are concerns too e.g. "don't wanna build elevated houses"
In fact, that's quite a tricky thing... elevated houses do can keep wraits out too, but normally, houses usually look more natural on the ground, IMO.

In harmode, turtles and derplings - and flying foxes the night, right? - are some of the most common stuff to see in the surface jungle? And man-eaters, which actually also can reach into NPCs' houses at random, and kill them while they try to reach you, but you're far. they don't even have to be on-screen, and reach into a house with safe walls just because they can.
I just meant that even though I live in a biome with extremely common nasty enemies I haven't seen any spawn in towns and chalked it up to luck.

I just meant that even though I live in a biome with extremely common nasty enemies I haven't seen any spawn in towns and chalked it up to luck.
Yeah, I get that. But speaking of which, while I don't usually have a main base in jungle, I don't really know if I very commonly see wraits in a jungle? The other monsters are probably a lot more common. And if your NPCs wander away, and happen to run into a turtle or derpling, they'll meet their demise right away too, but those at least won't go through walls.

tbh i like the light idea
Actually, quick correction on that suggestion. It probably would make wraits extremely rare... so, how about something like.
Blood moons ignore that, so wraits can spawn at blood moons (although they're very annoying, expecially considering it's common to happen, that "wraith floats in neighbor house, if merchant isn't killed on-the-spot, he gets freaked out and tries to run away, opening the door, letting in that 25 zombies on the other side of the door, gets murdered, and, the zombie swarm gets in the house, and kills everyone else to the upper floors too"
Erm... I'm actually not sure about blood moons either...

But, if light actually could keep wraits away, it would be very difficult to actually find wraits to begin with... so, I dunno... maybe it could work in a way, like lights keep them away, but only in and near towns and the player's bed - so, they won't annoy you in your house either, and neither anyone else in the town - and it still should be somehow, that they won't spawn into the town even when you're not in the town, so they won't kill your NPCs off-screen.

But any other lightsources on the road wouldn't affect their spawnrates, so they actually would posses a threat still, just not annoy you in towns.

Or some other solutions.
Like, if it would be possible, make monsters unable to spawn into towns, even when the town is off-screen, or something.
And exclude wraits from the list of monsters that may spawn even in town on higher than normal difficulty. So, they could spawn anywhere else where they can spawn, but, they can't in towns. Because they're just annoying. I mean, even at the point, when you swing around a terra blade or something, it would take you one swing to kill them, but you still can't save your neighbors when these things spawn off-screen. And non-melee NPCs can't really defend themselves from these. It's just annoying...

Yeah, be annoyed at home is fun.

@topics Uh, are you guys still talking about the Wraiths in specific? I just wanted them to stop spawning when I'm at my underground shelter. :(

tbh i like the light idea
Yeah, I get that. But speaking of which, while I don't usually have a main base in jungle, I don't really know if I very commonly see wraits in a jungle? The other monsters are probably a lot more common. And if your NPCs wander away, and happen to run into a turtle or derpling, they'll meet their demise right away too, but those at least won't go through walls.

Actually, quick correction on that suggestion. It probably would make wraits extremely rare... so, how about something like.
Blood moons ignore that, so wraits can spawn at blood moons (although they're very annoying, expecially considering it's common to happen, that "wraith floats in neighbor house, if merchant isn't killed on-the-spot, he gets freaked out and tries to run away, opening the door, letting in that 25 zombies on the other side of the door, gets murdered, and, the zombie swarm gets in the house, and kills everyone else to the upper floors too"
Erm... I'm actually not sure about blood moons either...

But, if light actually could keep wraits away, it would be very difficult to actually find wraits to begin with... so, I dunno... maybe it could work in a way, like lights keep them away, but only in and near towns and the player's bed - so, they won't annoy you in your house either, and neither anyone else in the town - and it still should be somehow, that they won't spawn into the town even when you're not in the town, so they won't kill your NPCs off-screen.

But any other lightsources on the road wouldn't affect their spawnrates, so they actually would posses a threat still, just not annoy you in towns.

Or some other solutions.
Like, if it would be possible, make monsters unable to spawn into towns, even when the town is off-screen, or something.
And exclude wraits from the list of monsters that may spawn even in town on higher than normal difficulty. So, they could spawn anywhere else where they can spawn, but, they can't in towns. Because they're just annoying. I mean, even at the point, when you swing around a terra blade or something, it would take you one swing to kill them, but you still can't save your neighbors when these things spawn off-screen. And non-melee NPCs can't really defend themselves from these. It's just annoying...
or maybe they could spawn on solar eclipse?

Back
Top Bottom