Resolved [Xbox 360] Terraria XBox360 not working

saggyhag

Terrarian
Hi everyone! I recently purchased Terraria for my xbox 360 at gamestop. I put the disk in, pressed launch, the screen turned black, I could hear the disk spinning, then it returned to the "My games" page. It did this several times instead of starting. I tried putting in another new game and it started normally? Then put Terraria back in and it did the same thing. I am not techy and it could be a simple solution, but I am lost! Thank you.

I've had some situations like this in the past with various games, and usually could be resolved by restarting the Xbox and trying again.

However, if the disc is doing this indefinitely, it may be a faulty disc. If that is the case, you should return it to Gamestop and exchange it for another copy, or alternatively, purchase the digital version instead.

For some reason I have that problem on the Xbox 360 slim, put it in, starts up, black screen, It hums for 5 secs then takes me back to the home screen and my little brother is sad because he doesnt understand why terraria isn't working so I had to analyse the problem... Help

(Sorry if this is considered a necro. the last post seems fresh enough, and the issue obscure enough to not justify a new one)

I also am running into this issue. But with a slightly different situation.

PRETENSE:
The console the game is being played on was not connected to the internet for a long long time. Prior to today, the game was working perfectly fine on this system. my Son, now into hardmode was wanting to make things that the WIKI shows as being Console available, but he was unable to craft. (specifically the endless ammo pouch) So today I connected the console to the internet, and allowed it to run through several updates.

ISSUE:
* Updates all run install with no issue, everything seems normal.
* I fire up the game to check to see if the version has updated..... Black for a few seconds, then back to the game dashboard.
* Try again, same result.
* Restart system, Try again. Same result.
* tossed a different game in, launches just fine.
* Try the Terarria disc once more. Same issue.

We know the Disc to be good, It has never once had any issues, and he was playing the game not half an hour before I came and updated everything.
We also know the issue isnt with the consoles ability to read discs, as other games still work.

My suspicion is that the issue itself is being caused by some aspect of the update itself. but i have no idea how to test that theory without completely nuking all of his progress in game.
Does anyone know if there is a way to back up save information? (without being able to enter game)
And has anyone else suffering this issue also allowed the game to update beforehand?

(Sorry if this is considered a necro. the last post seems fresh enough, and the issue obscure enough to not justify a new one)

I also am running into this issue. But with a slightly different situation.

PRETENSE:
The console the game is being played on was not connected to the internet for a long long time. Prior to today, the game was working perfectly fine on this system. my Son, now into hardmode was wanting to make things that the WIKI shows as being Console available, but he was unable to craft. (specifically the endless ammo pouch) So today I connected the console to the internet, and allowed it to run through several updates.

ISSUE:
* Updates all run install with no issue, everything seems normal.
* I fire up the game to check to see if the version has updated..... Black for a few seconds, then back to the game dashboard.
* Try again, same result.
* Restart system, Try again. Same result.
* tossed a different game in, launches just fine.
* Try the Terarria disc once more. Same issue.

We know the Disc to be good, It has never once had any issues, and he was playing the game not half an hour before I came and updated everything.
We also know the issue isnt with the consoles ability to read discs, as other games still work.

My suspicion is that the issue itself is being caused by some aspect of the update itself. but i have no idea how to test that theory without completely nuking all of his progress in game.
Does anyone know if there is a way to back up save information? (without being able to enter game)
And has anyone else suffering this issue also allowed the game to update beforehand?
Hi there @Trollsamaa, welcome to the forums. `:)

Backup copies
Yes, there is a way to backup player and character information on the Xbox 360 (you can’t on Xbox One, but can on Xbox 360). I used to create copies onto an external USB drive all the time as a way to keep my files safe if the game had a blip and corrupted my save data. See these articles for more info (if your drive can handle it, I’d recommend making a copy of all the content):

Endless Musket Pouch (and other items the wiki may reference)
One thing to be aware of as your son browses the wiki... the Xbox 360 version of the game includes content up until the equivalent of PC’s version 1.2.4. Meaning that the 360 does not have the Endless Musket Pouch that your son is hoping to craft. There are going to be things on the wiki that the PC version only has, and that other platforms (like current-gen console and mobile) have. The Xbox 360 and PS3 are considered “old-gen consoles” and are no longer receiving game updates, while PC, “current-gen”, and mobile are still receiving updates.

So on the wiki, make sure that the item he’s looking at is included in the 360 version. He may be seeing items that will never be present in his game. One way that can help in determining this is when you’re looking at the wiki page, scroll all the way down to the bottom and look at the History. If the item was introduced in PC’s version 1.2.4 or before, the item should be on the 360 version. If the History says introduced in PC’s 1.3 or beyond, it’s not on the 360. The wiki is community edited, so while it does a really good job of being up to date, it can have mistakes.

CDE0DC10-AD8D-4B1E-83C6-DC71F687B550.jpeg
Here’s the History of the Endless Musket Pouch. Note that it was introduced in PC 1.3 (and therefore not on 360). The “console” notes here specifically refer to it being on Xbox One and PS4 only (not Xbox 360 or PS3).

Sorry to side-track so much to explaining the versions, but it may be that whatever version you guys were on before doing this recent update was actually the most up to date version. Terraria on the Xbox 360 was last updated in 2016 to the equivalent of 1.2.4 (however, it shows in game as update 1.09 since console versions are numbered different than PC).

Xbox Live?
Is it possible to try signing in to Xbox Live? Since the 360 wasn’t hooked up to the internet, I’m assuming Xbox Live wasn’t used, but since a previous member’s issue was solved by logging in, it was just a thought.

Hi there @Trollsamaa, welcome to the forums. `:)

Backup copies
Yes, there is a way to backup player and character information on the Xbox 360 (you can’t on Xbox One, but can on Xbox 360). I used to create copies onto an external USB drive all the time as a way to keep my files safe if the game had a blip and corrupted my save data. See these articles for more info (if your drive can handle it, I’d recommend making a copy of all the content):

Endless Musket Pouch (and other items the wiki may reference)
One thing to be aware of as your son browses the wiki... the Xbox 360 version of the game includes content up until the equivalent of PC’s version 1.2.4. Meaning that the 360 does not have the Endless Musket Pouch that your son is hoping to craft. There are going to be things on the wiki that the PC version only has, and that other platforms (like current-gen console and mobile) have. The Xbox 360 and PS3 are considered “old-gen consoles” and are no longer receiving game updates, while PC, “current-gen”, and mobile are still receiving updates.

So on the wiki, make sure that the item he’s looking at is included in the 360 version. He may be seeing items that will never be present in his game. One way that can help in determining this is when you’re looking at the wiki page, scroll all the way down to the bottom and look at the History. If the item was introduced in PC’s version 1.2.4 or before, the item should be on the 360 version. If the History says introduced in PC’s 1.3 or beyond, it’s not on the 360. The wiki is community edited, so while it does a really good job of being up to date, it can have mistakes.

View attachment 281803Here’s the History of the Endless Musket Pouch. Note that it was introduced in PC 1.3 (and therefore not on 360). The “console” notes here specifically refer to it being on Xbox One and PS4 only (not Xbox 360 or PS3).

Sorry to side-track so much to explaining the versions, but it may be that whatever version you guys were on before doing this recent update was actually the most up to date version. Terraria on the Xbox 360 was last updated in 2016 to the equivalent of 1.2.4 (however, it shows in game as update 1.09 since console versions are numbered different than PC).

Xbox Live?
Is it possible to try signing in to Xbox Live? Since the 360 wasn’t hooked up to the internet, I’m assuming Xbox Live wasn’t used, but since a previous member’s issue was solved by logging in, it was just a thought.
The same startup issue has occured to me. I put in the disc, it spins, screen turns black, and then home screen. I do not have an xbox live account since I my parents will not pay for it. I was hoping I could find a solution other than getting xbox live. I have tried resetting the xbox and deleting all my files. :( But nothing has worked. I hope someone can find a solution.

The same startup issue has occured to me. I put in the disc, it spins, screen turns black, and then home screen. I do not have an xbox live account since I my parents will not pay for it. I was hoping I could find a solution other than getting xbox live. I have tried resetting the xbox and deleting all my files. :( But nothing has worked. I hope someone can find a solution.
You should be able to connect your 360 to Xbox Live (to get the latest update) to get your game running without paying anything. If it requires you to login with an online account (on 360 you can have local accounts), you should be able to create one for free. All you need is an email address (and if you don't have that or don't want to use it for some reason, you should be offered to get a new Hotmail address for free).

You DO NOT need to buy a GOLD membership. It is only required if you wish to play online with other players.

EDIT: You can create an account on a pc if you prefer (and use that login on your console afterwards). You can do that here.
EDIT2: You should be able to add a Gamertag and email address to an existing offline profile. Look here.

Last edited:
You should be able to connect your 360 to Xbox Live (to get the latest update) to get your game running without paying anything. If it requires you to login with an online account (on 360 you can have local accounts), you should be able to create one for free. All you need is an email address (and if you don't have that or don't want to use it for some reason, you should be offered to get a new Hotmail address for free).

You DO NOT need to buy a GOLD membership. It is only required if you wish to play online with other players.

EDIT: You can create an account on a pc if you prefer (and use that login on your console afterwards). You can do that here.
EDIT2: You should be able to add a Gamertag and email address to an existing offline profile. Look here.
Thank you. I will try this when I have time.
Edit: I got it working!!! I took me a couple of hours and xbox live errors but terraria works!!!! YAY!!!!

Last edited:
Thank you. I will try this when I have time.
Edit: I got it working!!! I took me a couple of hours and xbox live errors but terraria works!!!! YAY!!!!
What exactly did you do to fix it? I also am having the same problem, however I have a downloaded version of the game from the Xbox live market place. I have a Xbox live gold account, and whenever I try to open terraria, the “update required” screen flashes briefly, I am then disconnected from Xbox live and returned to the home screen. I have tried a variety of different solutions and none have been successful.

Last edited:
Solved: Be connected to the Internet and be signed in to XBox Live. No messages onscreen tell you this and I wasted a lot of time but eventually got a lucky guess.

At the screen where you can create a profile on your XB360, there are three characters. Choose the one on the right as it'll let you download/synch an existing XBL character. If you don't have one of those, the easiest thing is to get on a web browser and register a new account at LIVEdotCOM here Account with Xbox | Xbox
XBoxLive is free. This is not the Gold (pay) version of XBL.

So I had the same problem as all those who came before me, I managed to get it working with an xbox live account and it worked great until I was going to defeat Plantera, I had to get off, and now it doesn't work again. It is very mildly scratched around the very edge, but it shouldn't be a problem. It keeps being read as a DVD, even with Xbox Live.

Alright guys...
I had the same issue on my 360 (black screen, returning to game menu), it was an easy fix. All I did was clear the cache on the system and it worked just fine.

Back
Top Bottom