Resolved Xbox one save is different...

Akpropst

Terrarian
So i have 2 xbox ones. I store my games on a portable hard drive and move it between xbox ones to keep my game saves the same.

I started at my house xbox played, went to work for a week, played. When I got there the game save was as I left it at the house. Worked my butt off on my world all week. Got home yesterday, plug in my hard drive, terraria is as I left it. I just find it wierd since all my game info is on the hard drive. Is my progress lost or do I need to go to my other xbox and transfer something?

My guess would be only the game files are stored on the portable hard drive, the save files are probably stored on the console. You should be able to upload saves to the cloud and download the saves to the other console.

My guess would be only the game files are stored on the portable hard drive, the save files are probably stored on the console. You should be able to upload saves to the cloud and download the saves to the other console.
I won't have access to my other xbox until Sunday to see if it's still there. My game did a sync when I started it and now when I delete my game save it just syncs the same old file. So maybe this xbox is updating the cloud save and the other wasn't. So I'll see what happens I guess.

As long as your Xbox One's connected to Xbox Live they will automatically upload saves to the cloud. It's not necessary to lug a USB drive between consoles, just log in with the same account on the second console. Your latest saves should be fetched automatically when you start the game.

You may want to read this FAQ:
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/game-setup/cloud-game-saves-faq
Both xbox ones were on line and that's why I'm confused that when my home xbox synced it wasn't the most up to date. Hence my confusion. I've deleted my local save data and resynced and I still get the old file.

Both xbox ones were on line and that's why I'm confused that when my home xbox synced it wasn't the most up to date. Hence my confusion. I've deleted my local save data and resynced and I still get the old file.
Hopefully your work Xbox still have the new save. :/ As for the trouble, maybe things got confused due to you using an external drive, or perhaps you turned off your work Xbox too fast before it had time to upload the latest save.

Hopefully your work Xbox still have the new save. :/ As for the trouble, maybe things got confused due to you using an external drive, or perhaps you turned off your work Xbox too fast before it had time to upload the latest save.
Yea I read that it pushes when you exit the game, not just going to the home screen you have to save/exit, then close the game all the way out. I'm pretty sure I just hit the button when I was at the main terraria screen. New thing to get used to I guess. My other games must not use cloud but use a company owned server for storage. For example Dark Souls. I never had any issues like these before going back and forth. I want it to just use the hard drive lol. Someone mentioned above not having to lug a USB stick around any more. For explainaition I keep all games installed on a hard drive and mass update them at my house. My work internet is super slow where we live during the week so updating a game or downloading a game entirely is a chore. So I do all of that at home with the hard drive and that way when I get to work all I do is plug in and go.

Well I hope things work out for you. Btw did you pick Save & Exit when you checked the save at home? If so then THAT save will be the newest one and will overwrite your work xbox save when you start it. You might be able to avoid it by starting your work xbox without an Internet connection and then Save & Exit that save once, to make it the newest.

Good Luck!

Well I hope things work out for you. Btw did you pick Save & Exit when you checked the save at home? If so then THAT save will be the newest one and will overwrite your work xbox save when you start it. You might be able to avoid it by starting your work xbox without an Internet connection and then Save & Exit that save once, to make it the newest.

Good Luck!
This is my exact plan. I intend to unplug it before I start up and once I get in and verify the progress is still there turn on the internet and try and force that save to update the cloud. Thanks!

This is my exact plan. I intend to unplug it before I start up and once I get in and verify the progress is still there turn on the internet and try and force that save to update the cloud. Thanks!
If your cloud save is newer and from a different xbox than your current xbox's save it should prompt you when it tries to sync which one you want to keep. :)

If your cloud save is newer and from a different xbox than your current xbox's save it should prompt you when it tries to sync which one you want to keep. :)
At my house it prompted nothing. Which was because i never closed the game properly at my work. It saved the game file but never sent it to the cloud. So when I got here I unplugged it, started it up to make sure it was good, which it was, and then plugged in. Closed the game properly and checked my cloud save. It worked. I'm just not used to shutting my games down that way I guess. Either way, crisis averted.

At my house it prompted nothing. Which was because i never closed the game properly at my work. It saved the game file but never sent it to the cloud. So when I got here I unplugged it, started it up to make sure it was good, which it was, and then plugged in. Closed the game properly and checked my cloud save. It worked. I'm just not used to shutting my games down that way I guess. Either way, crisis averted.
It didn't prompt you at your house because your house xbox was the last one to upload to the cloud. :) glad it worked out!

Back
Top Bottom