TCF Suggestion (Xenforo 2.1/2.2 AddOn) - Auto-Merge Double Posts.

ShadowTiger

Duke Fishron
Hey all! Xenforo forum software afficianado here. I noticed an abundance of users double posting and the excellent diligence of the phenomenal staff pleasantly catching and handling them all. It's impressive to see. But what if it weren't necessary for as many resources to be devoted to the constant tenacious diligence utilized by the staff? They're people too, after all, and I can tell you from experience that it's not always an easy job.

I just found this AddOn here. It looks pretty interesting! I know that I've been a staff member on many forums where double posting is an issue, though some communities don't see it as nearly as much of an issue. I totally get it.

Upsides:
  • Each usergroup (I.e. a separation of staff and users) can be exempted from or have these services applied separately. That means if a staff member needed to make multiple posts in a row in a topic, they can! I know I have.
  • It has some nice options in it. They look more complicated than they are.
  • As stated, saves staff some work!

Downsides:
  • Not a big deal, but I don't see anywhere where the text of the merge notification can be set.
  • On that note, it may also remove some of the opportunity for the staff to personalize their messages to those users double-posting, or incorporate a more unique assessment of a given situation and issue similarly specific consequences for ignoring the request not to double-post. If it's all automatic, they won't have the opportunity to pop their head in and give a friendly reminder.
  • I've noticed that some users, specifically those that create tModLoader mods, tend to make a "reserved" post beneath their opening post in a new thread. That would basically be negated with this AddOn. This can be bypassed through waiting long enough to make a second post, though it's generally unclear how long that time would be, and anyone can make a post after the original post is created. Then it's not a "reserved" post - It's just another post. Kind of messy. Not a huge deal.

So, it's there if you want it. I can see how it may not be that useful though.

Hey all! Xenforo forum software afficianado here. I noticed an abundance of users double posting and the excellent diligence of the phenomenal staff pleasantly catching and handling them all. It's impressive to see. But what if it weren't necessary for as many resources to be devoted to the constant tenacious diligence utilized by the staff? They're people too, after all, and I can tell you from experience that it's not always an easy job.

I just found this AddOn here. It looks pretty interesting! I know that I've been a staff member on many forums where double posting is an issue, though some communities don't see it as nearly as much of an issue. I totally get it.

Upsides:
  • Each usergroup (I.e. a separation of staff and users) can be exempted from or have these services applied separately. That means if a staff member needed to make multiple posts in a row in a topic, they can! I know I have.
  • It has some nice options in it. They look more complicated than they are.
  • As stated, saves staff some work!

Downsides:
  • Not a big deal, but I don't see anywhere where the text of the merge notification can be set.
  • On that note, it may also remove some of the opportunity for the staff to personalize their messages to those users double-posting, or incorporate a more unique assessment of a given situation and issue similarly specific consequences for ignoring the request not to double-post. If it's all automatic, they won't have the opportunity to pop their head in and give a friendly reminder.
  • I've noticed that some users, specifically those that create tModLoader mods, tend to make a "reserved" post beneath their opening post in a new thread. That would basically be negated with this AddOn. This can be bypassed through waiting long enough to make a second post, though it's generally unclear how long that time would be, and anyone can make a post after the original post is created. Then it's not a "reserved" post - It's just another post. Kind of messy. Not a huge deal.

So, it's there if you want it. I can see how it may not be that useful though.
Hi there @ShadowTiger, thanks so much for this! I appreciate the well thought out presentation and taking into account that each forum can have different wants and needs.

We did use to have an add-on that would merge double posts automatically. It wasn’t updated when the forum software was updated, so we had to leave it behind in favor of moving forward with a more secure forum.

This add-on that you’ve linked is one that’s been on our radar and have discussed, but it’s by an add-on creator that is not one of our favorites, so we’ve been waiting it out to see if another option came around. It may be that we have to bite the bullet and give this creator another chance, or it may be that we go without if another option doesn’t appear. It’s something that has been part of the forum staff discussions though, and I thank you so much for looking out for the forums to bring it up.

Part of our discussions also deal with if an add-on that merges double posts make it impossible to really relay to the member that the habit of double posting is discouraged. If it’s just fixed for them (over and over and over again), then it doesn’t really stop the unwanted behavior. But then on the other hand, it can be nice for it to be fixed automatically. Much like you explored above, there are pros and cons for both sides.

Thanks again @ShadowTiger!

Back
Top Bottom