Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Single
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I started a new playthrough with 1.4.1. Expert mode. After some point, got a desert town half up (not "town" yet, but I guess it reduces monsters spawnrates regardless, and makes mostly critters spawn. Went to fish in this natural oasis.

And notived that there are stray pixels (or whatever they're called) under the sprite of the yellow version of the dragonfly.

As well that, when scorpions (both variants) enter the water, they start to randomly jump up in the water, and they're jumping very-very high too. kind of like swimming enemies, like creature from the deep or hemogoblin shark. I don't think I seen scorpions doing this on previous versions, and I'm assuming it's unintended behavior.

Forgot to take screenshots. Sorry.

I definitely didn't see that when I was testing. Could be an asset that requires validation via Steam?

I definitely didn't see that when I was testing. Could be an asset that requires validation via Steam?
"asset that requires validation" I'm actually a bit confused what that means.
I will test it again, and if I see it happening again, I will try to take screenshots.

not the whole sprite had the stray line under it though, just like one of the sprites in the animation of the dragonfly. so it disappears and reappears as it moves its wings. and only noticed it with the yellow ones.

Sometimes a file or files do not download correctly.

Steam has a function that will check if all of your files are functional/up to date, and will replace any that are faulty. This often happens with sprites, so its one way to sort out of a visual bug is happening because of a genuine bug, or because it did not download correctly.

To do this:
1. Go into your Steam Library
2. Right click on Terraria and select Properties
3. Select the "Local Files" tab
4. Press the "Verify Integrity of Game Files" button and let it run.

There is one file that will almost always be found missing, that's normal for Terraria.

Even so, let it run, and see if the issue happens again. It would definitely help if there were screenshots of the issue.

Sometimes a file or files do not download correctly.

Steam has a function that will check if all of your files are functional/up to date, and will replace any that are faulty. This often happens with sprites, so its one way to sort out of a visual bug is happening because of a genuine bug, or because it did not download correctly.

To do this:
1. Go into your Steam Library
2. Right click on Terraria and select Properties
3. Select the "Local Files" tab
4. Press the "Verify Integrity of Game Files" button and let it run.

There is one file that will almost always be found missing, that's normal for Terraria.

Even so, let it run, and see if the issue happens again. It would definitely help if there were screenshots of the issue.
I did that, it said "1 file failed to validate and will be reacquired."

I will test it if I encounter the same issue now or not.

I tested it again, and took screenshots now. sorry for earlier that there were no screenshots.
I also tested the weird behavior from scorpions again I mentioned.

scorpions.

Capture 2020-10-15 19_30_54.png

Capture 2020-10-15 19_33_38.png

Both variants seems to jump when they enter water, and they jump super high. They don't float like slimes, they properly submerge, but after it, they jump out of the water very high, (then submerge and then jump up again) and keep doing that until they reach the other side, or sometimes just stop for a bit, but after it, they start jumping again.

I wanted to screenshot yellow dragonflies, but none spawned here that time. so I went to another world where I had one in storages.
while I waited for the sun to come up to take screenshots where it's actually visible, a costumed bunny appeared and it had the exact same behavior as the scorpions

Capture 2020-10-15 19_39_06.png

As for the yellow dragonfly

On this screenshot, it looks normal, no stray pixels
Capture 2020-10-15 19_41_16.png

But on this other one...
Capture 2020-10-15 19_41_10.png

I took more
Capture 2020-10-15 19_41_38.png

It appears so, that one of the sprites in its animation is like that. it's only visible sometimes. and quite hard to notice in front of most backgrounds, like the forest. (but this is a desert variant, and it's a bit easier to spot it in front of the desert background)

zoomed in with photoshop, to look at it from closer, and marked it after.

yellow dragonfly.png

yellow dragonfly mark.png

I think this is a minor graphical bug?

Also, what about the odd behavior of those jumping critters?

So the tricky thing here is . . . unless I'm literally missing what's staring me in the face, I'm just not getting that line.

Dragonflies.gif

So I'll need to find out a way to reproduce it to fix it.

The Scorpions thing is pretty funny, I gotta admit. I'm not sure if its something that will need to be fixed, but I'll bring it up.

So the tricky thing here is . . . unless I'm literally missing what's staring me in the face, I'm just not getting that line.

View attachment 294753

So I'll need to find out a way to reproduce it to fix it.

The Scorpions thing is pretty funny, I gotta admit. I'm not sure if its something that will need to be fixed, but I'll bring it up.
That's odd, because on that gif, I can't see it either, but it's definitelly there on the screenshots I took...
I wonder if light options affect it in any way? or that the heat-distortion if turned off (I think it's turned off here)
although if it's on the spritesheet, I would assume that it should be visible regardless light - and other - options.

And, I dunno about the scorpions. it looks silly, but I suppose this is not how they should bahave... XD

I actually tried the heat distortion (both with it on and off) and couldn't find it either way.

I actually tried the heat distortion (both with it on and off) and couldn't find it either way.
Hmm... I have no idea what makes them look like this...
And not sure what to try to reproduce the issue.
I wonder if anyone else has this issue? It's very small, so it's difficult to spot. And on your gif it's not present at all.

Edit.
I tried light options.
With "color" and "white", I can't see the stray pixels under it at all.
but with "retro" and "trippy", they're there. it was set to trippy. (I'm not even quite sure what that word means... XD) because "color" and "white" makes the game lag extremely on this computer. I think these options weren't this laggy prior to 1.4., but I don't remember that for 100% sure. (but that's something else anyway)

yellow dragonfly graphics.png

If you try different light options, what happens?

So, I tried all of the lighting options, and no change on my end. Both with heat distortion effect and without.

As an aside:
- Retro = Original lighting system, light has minimal blending/blurring, light is all "white"
- Trippy = Original lighting system, but colored lights are present
- White = Newstyle lighting system, light has blending/blurring to make it more smooth, all of the light is white
- Color = Newstyle lighting system, light has blending/blurring, but colored lights are present

So, I tried all of the lighting options, and no change on my end. Both with heat distortion effect and without.

As an aside:
- Retro = Original lighting system, light has minimal blending/blurring, light is all "white"
- Trippy = Original lighting system, but colored lights are present
- White = Newstyle lighting system, light has blending/blurring to make it more smooth, all of the light is white
- Color = Newstyle lighting system, light has blending/blurring, but colored lights are present
Thank you for explaining.

and, then I don't really have any ideas how to reproduce the issue. I'm sorry.

Just want to note that I'm also seeing the stray pixels on yellow dragonflies, against the exact same desert background pictured in the screenshots. My version is GOG, Windows 10, 1.4.1.1. I'm playing at 800x600 resolution on retro lighting with heat distortion disabled.

Back
Top Bottom