Mobile Yet again, the sudden drop in frame rate

RaidCrhonos

Terrarian
Your Terraria Device
Samsung Galaxy J4+ (SM-J415G)
Mobile OS
Android 9
So, I've seen this problem posted on the forums by a lot of people and none of them seem to be able to solve it. I'll try to account with as much detail as I can about this issue.

The overview is: at some point in the game, during night, it starts to get super slow. Slow enough so it's no playable anymore.
This has happened in four different worlds so far, to me. All of them were either small or medium worlds and either classic or expert mode.
I am currently using a different phone than the first three worlds because I got robbed so I can't upload them, but I'll do with the current one. The old model was a Samsung Galaxy J4 (J400F) with Android 10 and the current one is Samsung Galaxy J4+ (SM-J415G) so they have about the same performance.

All worlds were still pre-hardmode and the slow happened at some point between 8 through 20 hours of play depending on the world (smaller worlds seems to tale a bit longer)
I use no mods and have never played multiplayer (both phones) and made almost no modifications in the settings (mostly stuff about the bluetooth controller, sizes or the mini-map). The slow happens regardless of me having or not done anything to the settings (even if I delete the settings and only put the world the problem happens regardless) and also is not related to the character, even a newly created character will be slow when entering the world.

The slow always happens at the beginning of the night and so far hasn't happen before exploring the dungeon or the jungle. In other words, at some point after entering the dungeon or starting to explore the jungle it will eventually start to slow down. I can't confirm this one but it seems that when is windy during the afternoon it will most likely start to slow on that night (followed that I've entered the underground jungle and regardless of the settings). During daytime the game runs perfectly normal. I've noticed in some worlds the game seems to run normally, at night, when close to the NPCs in the forest that are homed close to the spawn but slows after getting away. But other worlds gets slow everywhere regardless.

I haven't managed to get to hardmode in any way because of this problem. I believe is related to low end devices since it doesn't appear to happen to high end phones, in other words, a perfomance issue.

I have seem the mods mentioning in other posts about apps running in the background may be affecting the perfomance of the phone but I don't believe that's the case. The issue happens even if I turn off all apps running in the background, also, if I enter a different world (like a new one) the issue doesn't occur so it must be related to the game only. I've also noticed the game usually consumes about 700mb of "ram" memory when is doing fine but usually 900mb when the slow at night occurs.
I think at some point some sort of trigger starts making the game costs more memory to run and that's why lower end devices can't handle.

I really hope this issue will be solved at some point because I currently have no acess to a PC and the mobile version is the only one I can play and I can't go without my Terraria, been at it for almost 10 years.

I'll attach the world file if it helps but it'll probably run fine in a good phone...

Attachments

• Nirvana_of_the_Ancients.wld
    6.4 MB · Views: 74
It's Just a small shot in the dark but...
This happen when you are in Master mode? Because i tested and The fps drop happen Just in expert mode, i think this is the problem because i don't have fps drop at night in Master mode and my cellphone isn't that good, If this is the problem is something critical `:cry:can you test for me?

(Sorry about my english btw)

It's Just a small shot in the dark but...
This happen when you are in Master mode? Because i tested and The fps drop happen Just in expert mode, i think this is the problem because i don't have fps drop at night in Master mode and my cellphone isn't that good, If this is the problem is something critical `:cry:can you test for me?

(Sorry about my english btw)
I tried other worlds with people with the same problem, some of them were Master mode worlds and the issue also occurred.

@AdrianCohen

So, I've seen this problem posted on the forums by a lot of people and none of them seem to be able to solve it. I'll try to account with as much detail as I can about this issue.

The overview is: at some point in the game, during night, it starts to get super slow. Slow enough so it's no playable anymore.
This has happened in four different worlds so far, to me. All of them were either small or medium worlds and either classic or expert mode.
I am currently using a different phone than the first three worlds because I got robbed so I can't upload them, but I'll do with the current one. The old model was a Samsung Galaxy J4 (J400F) with Android 10 and the current one is Samsung Galaxy J4+ (SM-J415G) so they have about the same performance.

All worlds were still pre-hardmode and the slow happened at some point between 8 through 20 hours of play depending on the world (smaller worlds seems to tale a bit longer)
I use no mods and have never played multiplayer (both phones) and made almost no modifications in the settings (mostly stuff about the bluetooth controller, sizes or the mini-map). The slow happens regardless of me having or not done anything to the settings (even if I delete the settings and only put the world the problem happens regardless) and also is not related to the character, even a newly created character will be slow when entering the world.

The slow always happens at the beginning of the night and so far hasn't happen before exploring the dungeon or the jungle. In other words, at some point after entering the dungeon or starting to explore the jungle it will eventually start to slow down. I can't confirm this one but it seems that when is windy during the afternoon it will most likely start to slow on that night (followed that I've entered the underground jungle and regardless of the settings). During daytime the game runs perfectly normal. I've noticed in some worlds the game seems to run normally, at night, when close to the NPCs in the forest that are homed close to the spawn but slows after getting away. But other worlds gets slow everywhere regardless.

I haven't managed to get to hardmode in any way because of this problem. I believe is related to low end devices since it doesn't appear to happen to high end phones, in other words, a perfomance issue.

I have seem the mods mentioning in other posts about apps running in the background may be affecting the perfomance of the phone but I don't believe that's the case. The issue happens even if I turn off all apps running in the background, also, if I enter a different world (like a new one) the issue doesn't occur so it must be related to the game only. I've also noticed the game usually consumes about 700mb of "ram" memory when is doing fine but usually 900mb when the slow at night occurs.
I think at some point some sort of trigger starts making the game costs more memory to run and that's why lower end devices can't handle.

I really hope this issue will be solved at some point because I currently have no acess to a PC and the mobile version is the only one I can play and I can't go without my Terraria, been at it for almost 10 years.

I'll attach the world file if it helps but it'll probably run fine in a good phone...
Hi @RaidCrhonos sorry to hear you’re experiencing this. If the lag is so severe that it makes moving extremely difficult this is in line with what I’ve heard other players experience after going on a public server, or used third-party tools (such as zero-tier).

If the slow down is just based off of watching the fps number go from 60 to 30, but otherwise movement is not severely affected, from what I’ve seen that can be attributed to normal performance variations based on a device’s capabilities, world size, among other normal factors.

I was able to go into your world and the nighttime was fine. I don’t have a super great device, just an IPad Air 2, and I didn’t have any problems moving, flying, or using a weapons that produces many particles.

A18C3DDA-B27F-471C-91C9-A5FB6704B78A.png

Perhaps the mobile developers, DR Studios, may find something different than what I’ve seen players report, but from what I’ve seen nearly all these cases have to do with third-party tools. Players are using them and not realizing that they are affecting their core game.

Back
Top Bottom