tModLoader Yggdrasil (WIP 1.4)

Oooh! Updates!
I really like the way you're tackling the berserker class but be careful to not turn this into three distinct classes, as they need to be interconnected in some way, and feel variations of one, unique class. What exactly ties these three powers together (apart from the Nordic theme), and what makes it different to play from melee or magic? (Ignore this if 3 distinct classes is exactly what you're going for).
Maybe "Bear's Resistance" or "Bear spirit" is a good name... idk...
Also, shouldn't bear claws have many claws? (At least in gold tier), it's a bit awkward having this glove with one thin spike in the middle...
That's all from me, Keep up the good work!

edit: maybe also a raven berserker, that's more focused on channeling it's inner rage to one, powerful attack or spell? (Can be any other animal) Or does the wolf already do that?

Good points! Really.
I'll take everything you wrote into account. I don't have any answers right now since, well, I'm really fiddling with stuff. I want to make this class unique in some way and I'm still trying to figure ou how. Maybe I'll completely redo what I'm doing now after I try stuff around.

For the claws themselves. All pixel art is placeholder. :p

I also thought about Raven but, yeah, we'll see. Over-scoping is always an easy trap to failure.

Jeez! These are some beautiful deluxe placeholders you got there!
Ha! Well, thanks. :passionate:

Everything is sort of placeholder as I'm not a pixel artist myself. I'm just trying my best but one day maybe someone will randomly join the show and improve ALL of them.
I've never coded anything before starting this mod 2 weeks ago nor have I done pixel art.

GREAT news!

After some random chitchat about life and whatever, Lyker from the tmodloader discord decided to join the Yggdrasil trip as a programmer.

I'm no longer alone working on this and he has a programming background so, amazing news to move things faster and better for the mod.

Maybe my luck will be even better and I'll stumble upon an amazing pixel artist too one day. Who knows!

We are already killing the Berserker Class idea I posted yesterday to bring something pretty unique to the table.
Stay tuned! :)

GREAT news!

After some random chitchat about life and whatever, Lyker from the tmodloader discord decided to join the Yggdrasil trip as a programmer.

I'm no longer alone working on this and he has a programming background so, amazing news to move things faster and better for the mod.

Maybe my luck will be even better and I'll stumble upon an amazing pixel artist too one day. Who knows!

We are already killing the Berserker Class idea I posted yesterday to bring something pretty unique to the table.
Stay tuned! :)
Congrats! I'm glad that this mod is really taking off, and I hope you eventually find a pixel artist!

So Lyker has done quite some refactoring of my aweful code. Nothing to show there but we have a way better structure now.
He has also worked on something new for the Berserker class that I will talk about....... later.

I wanted to give a small sneak peak spoiler.
left, right, left, right, left, left, right....
RuneCombo.gif

I also have worked on the slash you can see up there and made other placeholder claws.
Crimtane, Bone, Demonite, Phase, Grass

BloodyBearClaw.png
BoneBearClaw.png
DemonBearClaw.png
PhaseBearClaw.gif
GrassBearClaw.png

We worked a lot on the new class concept too. Nothing to show there, just a bunch of design and talks that will materialize in a near future.

Update time.
WALL OF TEXT INCOMING

So after I don't know how many back and forth and ideas we decided to go along with one design for the Berserker Class.
Lyker has been hard at work here. :happy:
Let me write about it a bit.

First of all, weapon used by the Berserker will do a different type of damage called Runic Damage. Having our own specific damage type will allow up to tweak and balance it the way we want.

WHAT is this Berserker class?

The unique thing with the Berserker is what we called the Combo History. While wearing a Berserker weapon, a new piece of UI appear on screen. This is the Combo Box.
Attacking with a Berserker weapon will generate a rune in the combo box every time. The combo box size can contain five (5) runes. Attacking again erase the oldest one and replace it with the new one.

Every Berserker weapon will have two (2) different runes. One for the left click attack and one for the right click attack.
Every Berserker weapon has a set of combos that the player can do. Early game weapons don't have a lot of combos but later on, they have more combos but also more complex ones.
Combos are activated by activating them by pressing a key on the keyboard. Activating a combo release an attack and also apply a buff to the player. Activating will also clear the combo history.

(Same example as last post, left and right attack generate different runes)
RuneCombo.gif

WHAT are the Combos?
Combos are attack paterns that, when activated, give a certain buff to the player and its allies.

For example, the Grass Bear Claw
GrassBearClaw.png
has these 4 combos attached to it.
1593372054829.png

Doing Left, Left, Right (YYP) and activating would give a defense bonus
Doing Right, Right, Left, Left (PPYY) and activating would boost the invincibility window
And so forth.

WHAT are the Runes?
There are 6 runes for the weapons.
BearRune01.png
BearRune02.png
BoarRune01.png
BoarRune02.png
WolfRune01.png
WolfRune02.png

Weapons with Red runes will have combos giving survivability buffs.
Weapons with Purple runes will have combos giving mobility buffs.
Weapons with Blue runes will have combos giving damage buffs.

Some weapons can have 2 different colors meaning that they will be able to give buffs from different families.

--------------------------------------
Other things
New claws (again)
From Cobalt to Luminite

CobaltBearClaw.png
PalladiumBearClaw.png
MythrilBearClaw.png
OrichalcumBearClaw.png
AdamantiteBearClaw.png
TitaniumBearClaw.png
NebulaBearClaw.png
LuminiteBearClaw.png

Accessories
First go at Berserker accessories.

BerserkerEmblem.png
Berserker Emblem :
Gives +15% Runic Damage
BerserkerRing.png
Berserker Ring: Gives +2 flat Runic Damage
NorsemanShield.png
Norseman Shield: Immune to Knockback, Gives +3 Def, Activating a combo will heal the player
NorsemanHorn.png
Norseman Horn: Combos buff will last 10% longer
HelsNail.png
Hel's Nail: All Berserker weapons now inflict poison for 5 sec.
RunicNecklace.png
Runic Necklace: Attacking debuff enemies with runic damage will do more damage
RuneBag.png
Rune Bag: Will give +2% runic damage every 3 runes in inventory
OdinsEye.png
Odin's Eye: Give's 10% chance to avoid a fatal blow while holding a Berserker weapon.
LokisGift.png
Loki's Gift: Deal more runic damage when under any debuff.

Disclaimer.
Everything
is bound to change and will need a ton of tweaks/balance. but this is where we are heading for now.

Skål!

Last edited:
It's nice to see more updates! Now I'm REALLY starting to enjoy your Berserker class... This combo thing adds some sense of discovery and learning to truly master a weapon.
Maybe the runewords should be "crafted" like this too... You consume runes in a certain order to create a word, that you discover with trial and error. This system could also be used to summon bosses and events by writing their name in Futhark.
I imagine the rune colours correspond more or less to the Bear, Boar and Wolf subclasses.

Just by curiosity, what does the Berserker emblem represent?

One last thing : you should remove the Combo GUI and and just let the runes float on top of the player's head.

It's nice to see more updates! Now I'm REALLY starting to enjoy your Berserker class... This combo thing adds some sense of discovery and learning to truly master a weapon.
Maybe the runewords should be "crafted" like this too... You consume runes in a certain order to create a word, that you discover with trial and error. This system could also be used to summon bosses and events by writing their name in Futhark.
I imagine the rune colours correspond more or less to the Bear, Boar and Wolf subclasses.

Just by curiosity, what does the Berserker emblem represent?

One last thing : you should remove the Combo GUI and and just let the runes float on top of the player's head.
We had the idea of crafting rune combos and all but I scrapped it. It was getting too complicated and was messing up with a lot of other things by how we calculate which combo can be activated and what not. It was a sad choice to make but, I love simple things and it was getting out of hand to be able to have like 19 different combos with every weapons. :p

The colors indeed correspond to Bear, Boar and Wolf.

The idea of calling a boss with that if pretty badass. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!
Thing is, a weapon can only have 2 runes. Because left click and right click. We don't have more than 2 different attack buttons in vanilla terraria. We flirted with the idea of having more attack buttons but it would need to be changed in the option and I don't want to turn that thing into a Street Fighter controller.

The Berserker Emblem is a Sowilo rune
BerserkerEmblem.png
WolfRune01.png
but both you and Lyker asked what it was so I guess I'll change it! haha

For the GUI it's a movable/dockable UI element. I'm not expecting people to put that above their character. I've moved it there to not have a 2000x2000 gif, haha.
We'll make it as small as we can. Also because I want a "box" to represent the max amount of runes you can have in the history. We are planing to have some items to upgrade the combo history so you could have more runes in the combo list. I haven't talked about EVERYTHING about the Berserker class because I don't want to spoil 100% of the things, hehe.

ALSO, now that I think about it, @TheFrostburner, you interact with us a lot and I would love to make something in the mod because of that. I really appreciate it. I could rename the Frost Bear Claw into The Frostburner or something like this. :)

Last edited:
We had the idea of crafting rune combos and all but I scrapped it. It was getting too complicated and was messing up with a lot of other things by how we calculate which combo can be activated and what not. It was a sad choice to make but, I love simple things and it was getting out of hand to be able to have like 19 different combos with every weapons. :p
Thing is, a weapon can only have 2 runes. Because left click and right click. We don't have more than 2 different attack buttons in vanilla terraria. We flirted with the idea of having more attack buttons but it would need to be changed in the option and I don't want to turn that thing into a Street Fighter controller.
But there's no need to make the Combo system weapon exclusive... You could have a crafting station or simply consumable runes, no need to assign this to a weapon.
I like the "using your weapon to write" mechanic, but other things could be used. (like irl you can write with mineral (pencils), light (screens), organic (natural pigments) etc. I know its a weird comparison but it's the only one I found)

For the GUI it's a movable/dockable UI element. I'm not expecting people to put that above their character.
Oh OK I thought it was like the Thorium Bard Inspiration-meter that appears above your character and is really intrusive IMHO.
Btw, your berserker emblem looks a lot like Thorium's Bard Emblem so maybe another rune like Fehu or Othala (these are the ones that remind me the most of Norse Mythology) or a simpler one like Algiz.

ALSO, now that I think about it, @TheFrostburner, you interact with us a lot and I would love to make something in the mod because of that. I really appreciate it. I could rename the Frost Bear Claw into The Frostburner or something like this. :)
Oh! Well thanks! I'm glad I'm being useful! "The Frostburner Claws" indeed sounds badass! :cool:

Also, will the Combos be based on discovery by the player? Maybe an NPC tells you about it or something...

@Lyker has finished the first pass on the loop for the Berserker.
Every attack adds a rune to the combo list and when a combo is available, the rune changes and pressing a certain key activates the combo and clear the history.
(Fancy effect when activating a combo and its attack will come later)
UI is also way smaller and not in the way.
RuneCombo2.gif

1593548046644.png

The 20 Bear Claws (from wood to luminite) currently in the build all have their set of combos and attributes.

Lots of icons for the buffs have been done in relation to the combos. Here are a couple.
Damage1.png
LifeRegen2.png
Defense3.png
DmgReduc3.png

Also worked on some new Berserker Accessories too.
Arm Ring, Berserker Crest, Protective Stone Slab, Nidhogg Tooth, Frost Giant Hand, Magical Horn.
ArmRing.png
BerserkerCrest.png
ProtectiveRuneSlab.png
NidhoggTooth.png
FrostGiantHand.png
MagicalHorn.gif

Once again, all pixel art made by me are placeholder. :p

On that subject though. We might have a bit of a spoiler from a certain @BlueBoi
A new Nordic Sword
1593549772077.png

Last edited:
(Fancy effect when activating a combo and its attack will come later)
The darkened runes are the ones activated by the combo? Or just the ones ready to be used?

UI is also way smaller and not in the way.
Yes! It's so much better! The grey fits the theme a lot more! Maybe consider making the runes a brighter red, so it stands out a bit more.

Also worked on some new Berserker Accessories too.
Nice! You should rotate Nidhogg Tooth by 90 degrees though... It looks more like a horn right now...

Keep up the good work @resP and @Lyker !

Also, that sword looks gorgeous !

Last edited:
The darkened runes are the ones activated by the combo? Or just the ones ready to be used?
Art will be different, right now the dark runes are the runes that are in a combo ready to be activated. It's counter intuitive, but that'll be fixed.
For the color of the runes, I want to keep them like this because they are colorblind (all of them) friendly. I'll play around the UI around them instead. Want to be as accessible as we can, hehe.

Good point for the tooth indeed. We already have enough horns :p

Thanks for the feedback as usual!
1593552652494.png

I've been making some more sprites for the nordic set! :D
Nice! I love the style! If you are OK with some criticism, the ice shards on the ingot don't really look like shards (But the other sprites are gorgeous! Really liked that you went for darker sprites)

Thanks for the feedback as usual!
1593552652494.png
Amazing ! :passionate:
One question though : is "50% to frostburn for 2 sec" an empowerment related to the frostburn debuff?

Not a lot to show as of now (weather is SO GOOD outside) but @Lyker has been hard at work with coding all 3 different Berserker Weapons and their attack/projectiles for me to duplicate into all fashion I would see fit.
We also now have the Runic Damage working.
I worked on a some more Berserker accessories and all the buffs from the Berserker combos.

Accessories example:
1593813878156.png

Icons examples:
AtkSpeed1.png
CritChance1.png
Damage1.png
DmgReduc1.png
FlatDmg1.png
Flight1.png
Jump1.png

There are 16 buffs in total and they have 3 levels each.

Back
Top Bottom